CGI Group Employee Reviews in United States

You can build a career here
Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2016
I have worked at CGI for over ten years, as have several of my colleagues. I don't know of many other consulting firms that foster a similar culture of people building long-term careers in the company.

I have had opportunities to work in multiple offices, to travel and to work locally based on the company's and my personal needs.

I have been put in roles of progressive growth throughout my career and believe the process of reward through compensation and advancement is fair. You have to prove you can operate in a role to receive this reward.

The primary reason I choose to continue to build my career at CGI is the incredibly smart and hard-working people I have the opportunity to work with every day.
Pros
People, Flexible hours when project schedules permit
Cons
Project deadlines necessitate long hours
Productive workplace with a break room and free coffee
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALFebruary 9, 2016
A typical work day depends on the project you are working on. For the project I was working on, I had to perform regression testing. The management wasn't located in the office I was working in so we had weekly meetings to discuss items related to our project. My teammates on the project were very friendly. The hardest part of the job is performing regression testing in areas of an application you have little to no experience in. The most enjoyable part of my job was updating documentation to include the new enhancements added to an application.
Pros
flexible work schedule, stock benefits
Cons
healthcare benefits, work/life balance
Typical Desk Job
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 16, 2015
CGI Federal is a great place to work for a starting career. It is a typical desk job where you spend most of your time behind a computer with little interaction with others aside from those on your team. There are some great benefits such as working from home multiple days during the week and being very flexible with a home and work life balance. The managers are very helpful to help develop your skills. Most people there are either really young and this is their first job out of college, or they have been with the company for 20 years. There is not much in between that.
Pros
Work from home, flexible hours, work life balance
Cons
Not greatly compensated, raises are not significant.
Great company, great people, lousy pay
Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 22, 2016
I absolutely love CGI. I would work here forever if I could. I love my job, the people I work with, and the flexibility I have. I work from home and can pretty much set my own hours- as long as everything that is needed of me is done within a reasonable amount of time. Taking time off is easy and encouraged.

When I first started work at CGI, the pay was lowest tier of what I expected leaving college. The benefits were amazing though and I was excited to have a job lined up before I even graduated. Gradually benefits have begun to dry up. We do have a good Stock program and retirement, but healthcare has gone down immensely- to where I feel I am paying everything out of pocket.

Also, while I get about $1000 dollar raise a year, since I started so low salary-wise, I make pitifully little for having over 6 years devoted to a company. I could easily be making double my current pay in another company. The company does little to offset these complaints, and people leave for better opportunities regularly. On the upside, it is a very steady job. I have never had fear of being laid off or fired, and have heard very few cases of it happening at my time here.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Good work environment
Cons
Healthcare, Wages, No attempt at retention
Good for short term
Senior Developer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAJanuary 25, 2016
This job is good for short term but if your looking to move up or prove yourself then this is not the job for you. They are more interested in getting the fresh out of the college hires and saying how much things are growing.When in reality the only numbers show they are always hiring so many but that's because the seasoned employee was either getting laid off or finding work somewhere else.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No pay or advancement
Depends on your project
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 27, 2016
I worked for CGI for 10 years and I have been on some great projects and some not so great ones. It really depends on the project you are on.

I do say that it is a big company and if you are on client site it feels like each project is a different company. Also, CGI isn't that competitive salary wise with other companies in the DC area which leads to a high turnover.

The profit sharing and the CGI stock options are very nice perks.
Great Company....however, Compensation/Benefits are the worse.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAFebruary 29, 2016
Great after-college company to work for; however, they do not provide the best Compensation/Benefits for their employees.
Pros
Job Work/Life Balance; very flexible company
Cons
Healthcare do not cover much. Deductibles are ridiculously high.
Great opportunity for the start of your career
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Belton, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Working for CGI was a great experience. The colleagues are friendly, the stock benefits were great as well as the management. I worked as a network engineer for AT&T providiing Network Implementation services to new, remodeling and relocating GAP franchise stores.
Employees get squeezed between offshore and onshore profit model
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 13, 2015
Employees get squeezed between offshore and onshore profit model. Employees coming to US from India on long terms have to go through a grueling process and fight for their own salaries. Indian management officials assume that they pay employees salaries out of their own pockets. No standard rules and benchmark for salary figures. Random figures of salary.
Pros
Until one is in India, possible growth
Cons
Company where higher management is ruled by India and Indian politics.
Good Company
Network Consultant (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAFebruary 3, 2016
The company was a very professional consulting firm, but is no longer in existence. It was acquired a number of years ago and the acquirer went out of business
Pros
Great benefits and good client base
Cons
Company was sold and ultimately went out of business.
Good Work Environment
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 29, 2016
The work environment is pleasant and there are great people to work with but there is no room for growth within the organization. Salary increase is not enough to cover cost of living.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No room for growth.
Good Salary, benefits, and organizational structure
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 28, 2015
I worked for CGI for 3 and a half years before the company lost the rebid on the Fires contract. CGI was a great place to work. The salary and benefits were the best I have seen in the business. There were flexible schedules available and the company really seemed to care for its employees. The only negative that I can think of was the lack of opportunity for advancement. I would have liked to see a mentor program or career progression mapping to develop professionals in the field of contracting. Overall, I was very happy working for CGI and hope that they win the next contract bidding.
Pros
flexible schedules, good pay, great benefits, and caring management
Cons
very little room for advancement
Horrible health benefits but decent place to grow your skills
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 6, 2015
Fairly young support staff and long tenure with a broad group of individuals that have the salary to support the self funded health plan. Training is plenty and the commute depends on the position, location as they have opportunities across the DC Metro area.

During an interview, ask a lot of questions and then ask to speak to the manager's manager. Do not rely on having one or two levels of persons you speak to. The culture you will experience is really based upon the management you work under. In the Fairfax office, the diversity is about 85% white, 10% Indian/Arabic and 5% other.
Pros
It can be a steady job
Cons
Sometimes too big to pay attention to what is important, you.
worse place to work
Lead Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  kuwaitNovember 6, 2015
With ITT employees don't equally enjoy the benefits and opportunities for advancement. However, management was always ready to assist with any issue that involves an employee and stay with it until completed to the satisfaction of the customer.
great company to be in.
desktop support (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
The best company i ever worked.
Great people
Great Managers
lay back
good benefits
good co workers
stress free environment.
Pros
everything
Cons
nones
enjoyable site
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Johns Island, SCDecember 9, 2015
the work was self-pace, I learned hoe to be a great housemen the managers on site was good the hardest part was dealing with the heat and the most enjoyable part of job was they let learn as much as you want.
Pros
manager paid for lunch
Cons
no benefits
Well organized, very friendly and professional co-workers and management.
Housing Quality Standards Inspector (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 18, 2015
Well organized, big Co. culture but small co. feeling. All co-workers and managers were very accessible and professional. Good benefits and treatment.

Colleagues were willing to help newcomers and were very friendly at all levels.
Pros
Lots of traveling.
Cons
Short contracts
better communication would stop the ping pong
Central Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 22, 2015
My past experiences in the work place have been rewarding . A challenge I welcome as well as change.. Communication is key in any business.
In addition the staff I work with is great . My typical day is full of a general work day . reviewing finance documents. I do enjoy what I do .
Pros
wanting to come to the office every day
Cons
salary and medical benefits .
Good place to learn IT industry
QA/Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXSeptember 3, 2015
If you are interested in the IT industry, but don't have much experience or a diploma from a big university, great place to work. They do a good job selling you on the work/life balance early on, but honestly, it comes down to the project you work on. I have worked more weekends than I have had off since I started. Average work week is ~45-50hrs instead of 40.
Pros
experience, learning
Cons
benefits, work/life balance, managment
Enjoyable place to work with amazing co workers.
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 19, 2015
Nice place to work with a helpful knowledgeable management team and friendly supportive co workers. This company has their employees interests in mind and offer alot of benefits.
Pros
Perks such as catered office lunches/breakfast.
Cons
New healthcare plan