CGI Group Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Operations Analyst and Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKOctober 16, 2016
I worked in the software Laboratories of CGI in Fort Sill Oklahoma, with a group of tireless enthusiastic professionals that were totally focused on the mission.
Pros
Complete access and utilization of Think Tank rooms revolutionize development of software builds.
Cons
The Lawton Fort Sill area do not pay as well has when I was out in California.
Good Company
Network Consultant (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAFebruary 3, 2016
The company was a very professional consulting firm, but is no longer in existence. It was acquired a number of years ago and the acquirer went out of business
Pros
Great benefits and good client base
Cons
Company was sold and ultimately went out of business.
Good company to work for but health benefits and bench policy are lacking
Senior Consultant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJuly 24, 2015
I have been working for CGI for the last 6 years as a consultant and have traveled to client sites for the majority of the time. Overall, my experience has been good, good people to work with, lots of opportunities to learn and grow. As far as benefits, the Share Purchase Plan is a good perk, but the health plan has an extremely high deductible.
On the negative side, as a consultant, you have to constantly be on the lookout for the next opportunity because once your project is over, you are responsible for finding your next project. Otherwise, you are given 120 hours of "bench time" and if you are not successful in finding a position your employment is terminated.
Good starter company/lacks opportunity for career growth``
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 1, 2015
Good starter company but if you are looking for career growth this is not the company for you. The raises are slim to none (3% annually at best). The management does offer any training what so ever but expects you to know everything even if they are unaware of it also. The company has been going thru a transitional period since the launch of the healthcare.gov. A lot of turnover. The good benefits include working remotely from home occasionally, share purchase plan. My advice if apply, work there for a short period of time and then more on to a better situation.
Pros
Work from home occasionally, Share Purchase Plan
Cons
No career advancement, low pay/low raises
Good Work Environment
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 29, 2016
The work environment is pleasant and there are great people to work with but there is no room for growth within the organization. Salary increase is not enough to cover cost of living.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No room for growth.
Great Company for Experienced Employees
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 18, 2014
CGI is a great company with decent excellent senior management. Project managers are all pretty top-notch, as well. Team leads and managers consist of meddling near-do-wells that seem to have "paid their dues" over time. With a tendency to over staff projects as part of their business model of rapid expansion, it is hard to gain career momentum as an low-level employee (Jr BA, BA, Consultant), regardless of performance or role. There are pros and cons to the over staffing. If you are committed to working "straight eight" and aren't looking for that challenge, then this is probably the best bet. Their training program is horrendous, but this practice does allow self-starters to gain project knowledge independently and outshine their peers.
Pros
Life/Work Balance, Senior Management, Personable Coworkers, Stock generally performs well
Cons
Compensation, Training, Middle Management
Okay place to work
Passport Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 4, 2016
Working for CGI, there have been many drastic changes throughout the 4 years working for the company. Many bad decisions and some okay. No way to transfer to Govt. side but an okay place to make decent money.
I really liked working here
Junior Technical Architect (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 22, 2015
CGI was a great place to work. The office had an extremely laid back feel despite the rate at which a many of my colleagues were able to produce. CGI also had the best benefits package I've had thus far in my career. Further, at my orientation I was literally the only person there that was not a repeat hire. This suggests to me that when folks leave CGI they very much miss it--as do I.
I do not recommend working here.
Software Engineer, Jr. (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKJanuary 9, 2013
Carry on with a particular current project, where everything is fairly relaxed if there are no deadlines in the near future or you immediate supervisor is not in the mood to give you some adult abuse.

One learns fairly specialized subjects that are not transferable to other companies.

The management consists of incompetent egomaniacs that enjoy engaging in adult abuse of their employees and paying very low salaries for important work.

Many are cut-throat, but the ones one does not work with are fairly friendly.

The hardest part of the job is putting up with the management and living on a terrible salary.

Going home is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
some fairly expensive free lunches and free soda.
Cons
no breaks specified. the co. attempts to make everyone the same.
Great and stable place to work
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2013
CGI Federal has a proven track record of growth and job security. The work itself is often challenging yet highly rewarding. I worked on the client-site down in Charleston, SC, which meant lots of time away from the flagship office. This disconnect occasionally left me feeling stranded with our team on-site with minimal support. However as a result, as a team we became very close and my co-workers were second to none, including management. In a typical day I would support the Operations department in any requested tasks, help the technical team with Development environment management, or create scripts to be tested and used in the live Production environment. Overall, it is a great and diverse place to work, and I chose to leave on my own terms gracefully to pursue employment slightly closer to family.
Pros
Stability, compensation, experience
Cons
Never took a lunch break, disconnect from main office, occasional night/weekend work
Great Company !!
cunsultant (Former Employee) –  fairfaxApril 5, 2013
I worked with the best managers and the worst manager for worst project at this company. Really it was a nightmare working on one project. I know every company has the best people and bad people too.
Getting next project really depends on managers.if your manager is good and takes care about his team. Then he will be placing you in next project. Otherwise he just throws you away. He just tries survive himself by micromanagement and doesn't care about anybody.

Except that bad experience .Company wise its good company and fast growing and take cares employees well.
Pros
all benefits, higher level management
Cons
no job security, no hikes, hrweb reviews, lowerlevel management, micromanagement
Assisted in developing and implementing office standards and procedures, attended all business meetings and took minutes for later review.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 29, 2016
I began working with this company, when it acquired its current office space in October of 2013. Many things were done for the first time. I assisted in putting together office standards and procedures, interacting with various vendors and potential clients, as well as researching new business opportunities for growth. I found the work interesting and challenging, all parties were not as committed in aiding in the growth of the company.

A typical work day involved but were not limited to researching new business opportunities, These opportunities included contacting clients and building relationships. Answering calls and scheduling appointments for meetings was also a part of the job description. I was also an overseer of clientele relations.
Pros
Variety in the workplace.
Cons
Difficult to standardize some areas.
Good place to learn IT industry
QA/Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXSeptember 3, 2015
If you are interested in the IT industry, but don't have much experience or a diploma from a big university, great place to work. They do a good job selling you on the work/life balance early on, but honestly, it comes down to the project you work on. I have worked more weekends than I have had off since I started. Average work week is ~45-50hrs instead of 40.
Pros
experience, learning
Cons
benefits, work/life balance, managment
Get your experience and move on
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2012
CGI is an overall good company to work for. There are some issues however, the pay is low compared to the market, but it is a great place to really get your feet wet.

Their business model is to buy up small companies and squeeze them into the "CGI framework." My company was bought out by CGI and before they came in we had amazing benefits! If you are wanting to stay around awhile there is NO professional development to help you get to the senior consultant level.

IF you are liked they will put you on another project after yours ends, if you aren't liked then you have two weeks to find another job because that is their bench policy.....

I'm glad I moved on to bigger and better things but I do still talk to some of my old co-wokers, they are great people, management was the real problem.
Pros
excellent co workers meet a lot of government contacts
Cons
low pay, poor employee development
Previously answered
Management Analyst Contractor for (FBI) (Former Employee) –  Quantico, VAJuly 12, 2016
Answered previously in this application. Please see prior summary.
CGI delivers end-to-end IT outsourcing services that allow clients to achieve both quick wins and long-term results. The company's track record of on-time, on-budget delivery is rooted in CGI's quality and management processes. They are basically a hiring source for the Government.
worse place to work
Lead Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  kuwaitNovember 6, 2015
With ITT employees don't equally enjoy the benefits and opportunities for advancement. However, management was always ready to assist with any issue that involves an employee and stay with it until completed to the satisfaction of the customer.
Not a bad place to work
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 13, 2016
My days consist of monitoring our internal infrastructure systems, ensuring that they are up and running in optimum condition. I also Footprints ticketing system to monitor and address customer/user questions, service requests and incidences.

This is a very relaxed atmosphere. Management could be better, but they are not horrible. Co-workers for the most part are pretty good about handling their work, and all other interactions in general.
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
management
CGI has its ups and downs but it really depends on whats important to you.
Service Desk Analyst, US Courts (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 12, 2014
I did not have a great experience working there but I am sure others will be different. The benefits were awesome! The management wasn't very perceptive to the needs of their employees. The morale was often extremely low in the office and if it was brought to the attention of management they wouldn't do anything. Hardest part of the job was watching as people sat around milking the clock were rewarded and people who really wanted to learn were laid off. Most enjoyable were the times when the off-site and on-site employees would get together for events or meetings and you could actually feel like you were apart of something.
Pros
Shared Purchasing Plan
Cons
Loved the Company no openings at this time.
Sr. Analysts / DBA (Former Employee) –  Va./ Kuwait and 3 years AfghanistanOctober 4, 2016
Was offered a 3 year contract for Romania but could not accept the job at the time it was offered. I worked 84 hours a week for almost 3 years in Afghanistan and over 1 year in Kuwait.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
No cons
Rewarding employment with a strong company with a world-wide presense
Mainframe Developer / Consultant (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXSeptember 4, 2013
CGI Federal, a US owned company under Canadian parent CGI is a strong company which only services Federal government entities. The company adopted an "on-shore delivery system" which kept jobs in the United States in smaller communities to offer our clients an affordable IT solution. The only drawback is the endless red tape that government work invariably brings and coupled with the fact that the Belton, TX office is a new facility, actual programming / testing tasks were very slow to appear. I do recommend employment with this company. Competitive benefits and stock purchase plan add the experience.
Pros
Attractive wage and benefit package with frequent on-the-job traing
Cons
Red tape / bureacracy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CGI Group. Our community is ready to answer.

80%