CNN Employee Reviews

Fast paced place with good people
Clearance Coordinator - Declassified 2 (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2017
I worked on a show that was a subset of CNN. But we did have regular contact with the main company. They seemed to be a bit of a rushed place. And it made it tricky to get material we needed. But the people were good and easier to communicate with.
Pros
Good people
Cons
very fast pace
did not work at CNN
Center Director (Former Employee) –  not applicableOctober 18, 2017
I did not work at CNN I was a clinical nurse manager this does not need posting nor does anyone have my permission to post there must be a problem with the program that is auto populating data
fast paced, exciting
Vice President & Managing Editor of CNN (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2017
It was an honor to work at CNN and reach the title of vie president and managing editor. Managed CNN’s domestic news coverage on a daily basis. Provided editorial direction to reporters, producers and assignment editors in 9 domestic bureaus including Washington. Produced live coverage of breaking news and special events including conventions and elections.
Thorough
PRODUCTION INTERN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Very thorough, tedious, and corporate. Bagels available multiple times a week. Great management and passionate employees. An overall great experience.
The worst tv production job I've had - Caustic Environment
Studio Camera Operator / Robo Camera / Video (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCAugust 14, 2017
Management will urge you to cross train (when it suites them) and when you show ability to do that job well, they will retract it. Because, they don't promote. It's a pigeon hole, a dead end job that is festering in incompetence, favoritism, racism and an utter disregard for co-workers. The directors are miserable and bring their misery with them to work each and ever day. It destroys morale. There are employees who are moles that possess zero talent who will do anything to ruin your day by always making life miserable for everyone around them. This one particular tech manager is the worst I've ever had the misfortune to work FOR, I never worked with him. He did not care one bit about anyone's family but his own. There was zero work life balance here. I wish I had never taken this job. It was the worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Money was decent
Cons
Everything else
Internship
UNLV Presidential Debate- Media Runner (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 13, 2017
I worked for CNN as a media runner for the 2016 Presidential Debate. I networked with a lot of people and I learned a little bit of how CNN work from a behind-the-scenes type of way.
Great place for news junkies
Senior Producer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30306August 2, 2017
Great place for anyone who loves news. The daily meetings provided good communication and a place for everyone to share story ideas and unique thoughts. I would recommend working here.
Internship - real world experience
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 25, 2017
Being an intern at CNN is the best way to cut your teeth in this industry. You are treated like any other staffer and given responsibilities that push you beyond your existing capabilities so you are constantly learning.
No diversity, no work/life balance
Talent Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
Stay away from the Business Administration department!! The 'managers' have NO CLUE what they are doing. There is a lack of diversity in the entire company, and that department is worst. The managers has their favorites and it feels as if you are in jr. high school trying to get in with the 'popular' kids.
The ones that 'run' the department pretends to listen about the problems but does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it!
You will meet the higher-ups from Atlanta (they come to NY at least once a year) - do yourself a favor, don't waste your time. They go back to the managers and end up having a target on your back.
Productive and fun working environment
Atlanta Bureau Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2017
I enjoyed interning for CNN. Not only did I learn how to work in a fast paced newsroom, but I was able to go out on field shoots, and conduct phone conferences.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
CNN is an amazing place to work.
Assignment Editor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2017
I was a "little fish in a big pond," but my manager at CNN took me under his wing and made sure I got the most out of my time at the news organization's Atlanta headquarters.
people hire who they like
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2017
Other than you work ethic, make sure that you take the time to work on yourself as a person that can communicate and talk to a diverse crowd of people. CNN is a place that values culture . So be cultured
Amazing people and company
Social TV Intern (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYMay 8, 2017
Loved interning with CNN -- great workplace and management that goes the extra mile. Wonderful people, wonderful internship -- the experience of a lifetime!
News Producer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2017
I started out as a freelance writer at CNN International. In 1994 I became a full time employee. My first job was with CNN domestic. From there I moved around to Headline News and eventually back to International.
Pros
Writing and producing
Cons
Working overnights can be unhealthy.
High Energy, Fast-Paced Workplace
Content Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 6, 2017
This company will teach you good work ethic. You work hard and fast. It's exciting to always be in-the-know about world events but can be a bummer to work most weekends and holidays. You have to be committed to the cause to accept the sacrifices.
Pros
Free Food Occasionally, Free Swag often
Cons
No Lunch breaks (for newsroom), weekend and holiday work
Good enviornment to work on
Photojournalist/Editor (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 6, 2017
After 8 years of being employed with the TBS and CNN, it has become family to me. The work environment at the station and in the field couldn't be any better because of superior co-workers. Weather it be a 3, 5, or 7 day work week, there will always be something new or something different that you are challenged to learn from.
Productive and fun workplace
Audio tech & Camera operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 21, 2017
had a amazing time working for CNN. learned how to work cameras and edit film. meet a lot of really nice people. got to travel all over and see a lot of different sites
Pros
travle
Cons
never home
Dream job?
Floor Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2017
Having a front-row seat to news at it breaks is exhilarating, but expect to work extremely hard to keep up with that pace. Editorial tends to promote from within with a solid career structure. Operations, however, is slow to promote and, because of the demanding pace (and inadequate staffing), opportunity for career building is virtually non-existent. It's a dream job for most, but the day-today is very monotonous... except when you get to meet someone famous.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Demanding and understaffed
fun
Senior Production Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2017
i loved working here i only left because i was having a baby they really know how to show their employees love, my work load was full but always had fun
They have super high standards...
Technical Director/Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2016
CNN's employees are subjected to somewhat ridiculous standards. I have been working in television for a while now and I would say without a doubt that CNN has taken the tv production model, and combined multiple roles into one, making things sometimes impossible, but yet you are still expected to perform at that level 100% of the time...no excuses. It's a harder environment than most.