CPS Energy Employee Reviews

It was simply the best time ever
Machinist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78223June 18, 2017
CAPS Energy was the greatest and best job I ever had. It was like a second home to me and everyone was very understanding and later on started to feel like a family.
People First Culture
Communications Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2017
A place where your opinion matters. In my experience this company is on a forward moving path, a leader in the industry and focused on doing what is right for their customers.
Stressful
Customer Service Advocate III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 9, 2017
Good company but the environment was very stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to make a difference in people lives. Typical day was sit at your desk and take calls. Meetings. Lunch and an occasional break. Nothing exciting going on there.
Toxic Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 5, 2017
CPS Energy has become a cut-throat, watch-your-back, type of organization. If you choose to work for this organization, make sure you come fully prepared to participate in widespread organizational politics.
Benefits
Cons
Toxic Culture
poor customer centric focus
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 1, 2017
the messages from the top get diluted as they cascade to the troops, supervisors and mid-level managers. day-to-day operations are flawed and filled with sacred processes and procedures poorly conceived and dreadfully executed.
Pros
rank and file team members were happy to help solve issues
Replace IT Jobs with H1B
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 13, 2017
They want to replace IT Jobs with H1B. No Process and procedures. Managemnt just want to please their Bosses. Therefore their is culture of blame . Dont work here.
Pros
Cons
You will be replaced with H1B
Horrible place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 27, 2017
A very sick workplace with miserable employees. The culture was to cut down other people to save their own necks. I really am a happier person since I do not work there anymore.
Family friendly
Underground Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 18, 2017
CPS energy is very family friendly. Excellent work environment and largely good, competent people in managerial positions. I highly recommend this employer.
great job security
Outbound Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2017
Good job set hours and good pay. customer service hour may have different hours but other departments are set hours. works well with the community and has clubs and organizations to be involved with
Good comaraderie with life long friendships
predictive maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 18, 2017
The crafts in the power plants work well with each other. There is a sence of belonging to a family. When someone is ill, injured or lost a love one, everyone pitches in to help out. Even after I left the company, I feel I am still part of the family.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Lack of upper management communiction
Productive and progressive work
SQL Server DBA (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Friendly Environment working with the senior employees at CPS Energy . Learned more innovative technologies and enjoyed my work on this assignment. Project managers were very comfortable to work with apart from managing the work load.
Great people to work with
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 12, 2016
Friendly work environment. People are great to work with, schedules are accommodating to school schedules. Not much room for advancement, compensation could be better.
Great company
Teller (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 1, 2016
I wish I was more healthy to work here. Great place for benefits. Wish that I could have stayed here. Hours are great you get overtime, no problem, and it is a Monday thru Friday job.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Have to jump thru hoops just to request time off.
engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 12, 2016
Great place to work, lots of upward mobility. The pension is great and gives you hope for a secure financial future. The are several business units so you can move around.
Pros
pension
City of San Antonio Electricity
Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 9, 2016
Electricity in San Antonio is regulated and CPS handles it all. And the citizens of San Antonio are certain they use it badly
Pros
Good support system and many perks being in head office like free lunch
Cons
We're not in the head office
nice place
SAP BW BO consultant (Former Employee) –  NJAugust 29, 2016
Fun Place,worked as Sap BW,BO consultant and enjoyed the work with coworkers and learned other technologies and enjoyed to work here.explore more in this cmpany.
family orienated
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 3, 2016
CPS Energy has provided for me and my Family for 27yrs
CPS energy provide all necessary training , Personal Protection and tools needed to do your job safe and efficient.
Pros
benfits
Cons
some late nights
Not viewed as SMEs
DBA IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2016
Our DBA Team is viewed as more of a support desk than Subject Matter Experts. There is not a platform to be a positive influence on architectural decisions.

Project pace is too fast and DBA-related work is not accounted for (backups, monitoring, data retention, etc)

Co-workers are great.

Management doesn't get it; too focused on looking good to their bosses.

Hardest part of the job is having to put out fires due to inadequate project planning. Constantly putting out fires, which keeps me from process improvements and technological advancements.

No technical track or opportunities.

The most enjoyable part of the job *WAS* having a flexible work schedule. New regime expects physical attendance despite after-hours work.
Progressive, friendly and fun workplace.
I&C Maintenance Technician Level 2 (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2016
A brief safety meeting and stretch with management to start the day, then off to the shop to brief the day’s work and important jobs. I then start my everyday daily tasks. I have learned so much due to the training classes I’ve been through. I have learned a lot about how a power plant operates and functions. There are many helpful and knowledgeable. Management has also been very helpful to my success. I love working for CPS Energy. Compensation is great as well as benefits. I have been looking forward to getting into a corporate position for a while now as I’ve been pursuing my undergraduate degree, I am also pursuing my MBA starting in January. I love that CPS Energy gives me the tools and information to be successful. I love working with a team and getting to know and make new friends and colleagues.
Pros
Working for the largest municipally owned utility in the nation, knowing that is very prideful.
Great place to work - room for advancement
Supplier Diversity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78205July 8, 2016
Critical thinking and decision making are an everyday part of the job. Being able to work with little to no supervision is a plus, the ability to work independently really puts an emphasis on the word "trust."

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CPS Energy. Our community is ready to answer.