CPS Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Not viewed as SMEs
DBA IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2016
Our DBA Team is viewed as more of a support desk than Subject Matter Experts. There is not a platform to be a positive influence on architectural decisions.

Project pace is too fast and DBA-related work is not accounted for (backups, monitoring, data retention, etc)

Co-workers are great.

Management doesn't get it; too focused on looking good to their bosses.

Hardest part of the job is having to put out fires due to inadequate project planning. Constantly putting out fires, which keeps me from process improvements and technological advancements.

No technical track or opportunities.

The most enjoyable part of the job *WAS* having a flexible work schedule. New regime expects physical attendance despite after-hours work.
enjoyed the challenges of learning new jobs and interacting with colleagues
Data Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2016
Overall CPS is a great place to work. It offers great benefits and opportunity for advancement in certain areas. I would close out job packages and research why they went over budget to keep track of inventory. Schedule work for field personnel. Timesheets, and dispatch material from storeroom to jobsite. Enjoyed what I did but was bypassed when it came to promotions due to favoritism. Which was they only downside of the job.
Pros
great benefits, quality personnel, always something to do
Cons
limited advancement, had to leave to take care of ailing parents
What I've Learned
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 8, 2016
I started at CPS Energy right out of High School 25 years ago. The company has taught me so many different things, such as a variety of computer software skills. Working in different sections of the company has also broaden my understanding of how the company works in order to supply our customers with reliable energy. They company does have a since of family that supports one another. It's been a blessing to be apart of this company for all these years.
This company is struggling with staffing issues and has a very poor work life balance.
Engineering Associate I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2016
Typical day at work is very stressful and not very satisfying.
Management does a poor job supporting their employees and the culture is very negative and blame-oriented rather than solutions-oriented. Co-workers are generally good people, but due to the extreme staffing shortage they are unable to assist or train new employees.
Pros
Benefits are very good.
Cons
Stress level
I enjoy my job and the diversity of the work culture.
Installer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2016
There is no typical day on the job. Each day brings something new which keeps things interesting. There is always something for me to learn or to teach to someone with not as much experience.
I believe that the hardest part of the job for most workers is budget restrictions preventing the crews from being able to get the necessary equipment for some jobs.
I think the most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie among the workers and crews.
Pros
Diversity of knowledge and skill
Cons
Budget restrictions- not being able to get necessary equipment for certain jobs.
Hard work
Auxiliary Power Plant Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 25, 2016
CPS Energy is a good place to work, however, the power plant environment is very tough and makes working there difficult. The shift work is very hard on the body and the physical aspect is very difficult (especially if you are an older person).
Pros
Time off
Cons
long days and rotataing shift work
Progressive, friendly and fun workplace.
I&C Maintenance Technician Level 2 (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2016
A brief safety meeting and stretch with management to start the day, then off to the shop to brief the day’s work and important jobs. I then start my everyday daily tasks. I have learned so much due to the training classes I’ve been through. I have learned a lot about how a power plant operates and functions. There are many helpful and knowledgeable. Management has also been very helpful to my success. I love working for CPS Energy. Compensation is great as well as benefits. I have been looking forward to getting into a corporate position for a while now as I’ve been pursuing my undergraduate degree, I am also pursuing my MBA starting in January. I love that CPS Energy gives me the tools and information to be successful. I love working with a team and getting to know and make new friends and colleagues.
Pros
Working for the largest municipally owned utility in the nation, knowing that is very prideful.
Great place to work - room for advancement
Supplier Diversity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78205July 8, 2016
Critical thinking and decision making are an everyday part of the job. Being able to work with little to no supervision is a plus, the ability to work independently really puts an emphasis on the word "trust."
Great Opportunity
Financial Services Intern (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 18, 2016
CPS Energy provide an opportunity to learn something new everyday. I started in financial quality assurance, but quickly moved on to bigger projects and responsibilities after expressing my interest in other financial areas. Managers were willing to listen and provide the best opportunity beneficial to my career path and to the company.
Pros
Opportunity to learn
Cons
slow work environment
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative and Collections (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 10, 2016
I was employed with CPS Energy from 2003 - 2010 and loved the work I did, the people I worked with and the environment overall was the best. I regret having left work with CPS Energy and hope to be able to become re-employed with them soon. CPS Energy is all for the family/work balance and understands when family issues arise. Management was also easy to talk to and understanding. The hardest thing about this job was the long hours. I was a Home Agent and therefore was on call a lot.
Pros
Lots of pot lucks and enteractions with coworkers.
Cons
Over time demand.
Excellent working conditions
Manager, Real Time Energy Controller QSE (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 7, 2016
There are opportunities with in the company to grow as an individual and learn new skills. Company training and advancement. Strong learning environment.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Productive and interesting...
Data Control Clerk II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 3, 2016
*a typical day at work consist of multi-tasking. No reason to be bored!
*what I have learned is a lot about the energy business and all it has to offer.
*management is well placed and are positive impacts on me and my job.
*co-workers are easy to get along with for the most part, which makes doing my job easier.
*the hardest part of the job is being corrected, but without it I wouldn't learn the correct way of doing things.
*the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people in different parts of the company.
Pros
Alot of breaks.
Cons
Healthcare could be better.
Average work environment, odd but found most individuals do not have ears
System Analyst Programmer III & SCADA Engineer I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 17, 2016
Stable work place that provides job security / longevity.
Most individuals are friendly and supportive unfortunately, the down side is when you try and get a position else where the odds are not good on getting the new position.
Pros
job security
Cons
some empire builders
Great place to work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 26, 2016
Great place to work. I've learned a lot about how a large company successfully operates. My job is very demanding. My co-worker work very hard to provide excellent customer service.
Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 10, 2016
-A challenging work environment that demands excellence
-Helpful managers that are always eager to teach
-Improved upon a wide range of skills related to my field
-Deadlines can be short turnarounds
-Peers are enjoyable to work with
Leading Public Utility
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2016
CPS Energy is a leader in innovation, focused on maximizing efficiency, beginning with corporate office staff to field teams. This is a fantastic place to work!
CP Kelco
Business Application Security Analyst II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 25, 2016
Worked on Telecommunications for the United States and was able to show other people how to work on the systems that were installed within our company.
Work environment
Data Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 15, 2016
Co-workers are hard working and supportive. Would like more opportunity to visit and see other areas of the company. The company is very involved within the community.
Large company with room for career growth
Military Energy Solutions Account Manager, JBSA (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 1, 2016
largest municipally owned energy utility providing both natural gas and electric service with room for career growth
exciting workplace
Teller (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 23, 2015
Typical day at work starts off slow and around noon picks up and sometimes real busy. I've learned to take my time and not rush through transactions in order to balance out at the end of the day with no miss applies. Also I take one customer at a time and don't look at the long lines just focus on the customer in front of you. Plus don't look at the clock. I have an awesome supervisor and my co-workers are my second family. The hardest part of my job is balancing at the end of the day when I've had over 300 customers and I'm happy when I hit the enter button and I balanced. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with regular or new customers, especially the elderly they are always happy to see you every month.
Pros
get to interact with customers, have fun days for holidays or employee appreciation
Cons
long lines beginning of the month, balancing to the penny, short lunch due to busy day.

CPS Energy Reviews by Location