CVS Health Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,532 reviews matching the search
Challenging environment with limited resources
Manager, Marketing Creative Services (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 30, 2015
CVS Health is a challenging company to work for as resources become more and more limited each year. Open positions are not filled and many teams are expected to complete the same work with fewer employees. Management pays a lot of lip service to the corporate culture and opportunity for growth, but in reality work/life balance is often nonexistent and opportunities for advancement are rare. Benefits were excellent at one time, but have been slowly downgraded or eliminated. At a company where "health is everything," the medical benefit is deplorable.
Pros
Recognizable name/resume builder, excellent employee stock purchase program, employee discount at CVS/pharmacy
Cons
Outdated technology, limited resources, out-of-touch management, poor medical benefits
cannot wait to get a new job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIFebruary 6, 2016
First off, if you like gossip this is the place to be. All the employees do is talk about everyone else. That's when they're not busy giving you an attitude. No one offers to cover shifts. If you do need to call out for an emergency, then you have to find your own coverage. Working 10 hours? Hope you only expect one half hour break. Standing for long periods of time, compensation is not worth the amount of work you have. Management is totally unapproachable. Not all the pharmacists, but most. Hired part time? Expect to work way over 30 hours a week but not accrue a single minute of sick time, vacation time or any other benefits. Expect favoritism. You'd like to work a morning shift once in a while but since other people conveniently complain and nag, you're stuck working all the late night shifts. You know, they're deserving to spend time with their families, but not you. Even after you've made several requests to have your hours cut or maybe stagger hours. Bottom line, I can't wait to find something new....soon.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
long hours, no appreciation and no room for advancement
good days and bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYFebruary 10, 2016
The work itself was ok. I like meeting people and seeing if I could help them. I did not like having to stand by the self check out. My co-workers for the most part were nice and the lower management were good. I was in two stores and both store managers had favorites and would promote people who were not there as long. I would stay long hours and not good get consideration for a promotion. I would beg do something else that was challenging, instead I would something that new workers didn't have to do.
Pros
The 20% discount that employees get of the non sale items and meeting people.
Cons
The long hours with lack of adancement and favortism of certain employees for little pay.
Knowledge/Experience - That's what you want.
Software QA (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2015
Being new to HealthCare, every day was/is a learning experience for me. From a fresh man in the Medical Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) to an expert in 1 year and 4 months is unbelievable for me. That's the level of learning experience i was going through. Handling multiple clients directly on call everyday was a beautiful thing that can happen to any employee. I enjoyed every day working here. Everyone believed me and gave such a tough project to me and I proved them correct. My manager and my Director were so confident in me that i can deliver and i did exceeded their expectation. Co-workers were so kind and were ready to help at any time when there is a need.

Overall it is a beautiful company to work for.
Pros
Flexible work culture
Poorly managed store, little room for growth, poor team leadership.
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 28, 2016
Managers only care about numbers and not the employees. Favoritism is a large issue. Long time employees receive lots of freedom, while newer employees receive little training and consistent and harsh critiques. Managers allow long time employees to do only the tasks they wish and push newer employees to pick up the slack, with little recognition or reward.
Pros
Learning Experience, Customer, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay, Raises, Healthcare, Management, Short Breaks.
Decent place to work but i wouldnt expect to make a living
pharmacy technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 18, 2015
Ive worked at CVS for a few years. My pay doesn't show it but they recently went up and now there starting pay is 9.00. They give an OK Raise yearly. A typical day at CVS can be pretty good, boring, chaotic or drama filled. It changes everyday. You develop a friendship with the people you work with and there all like a second family. The Hardest Part of the job is some of the workers, they way they speak to one another is disrespectful at times. But the most enjoyable part is the friendly customers that you see daily. Management honestly seems as if there all over the place and cant do their work efficiently. Overall there a decent place to work but they do not have the hours to compensate for a decent living. The customers make this store a great environment.
Pros
If your full-time there benefits are pretty decent, friendly customers
Cons
short breaks, healthcare is kinda of expensive. A lot of drama, not enough hours to give, You do alot for little pay, Slow promotions
No Structure
Graveyard Clerk/Cashier/Porter (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2016
In 2014 i moved from California to Nevada and i was looking for Job

I was hired By CVS at the start of 2015 and i enjoyed my training and the culture that was in place and pretty much enjoyed my time with my new co workers.

I got hired to open a new store on the strip and was excited to be apart of new concept store (No Pharmacy).

When we finally opened it started out ok but as it went on it looked Management had no clue as to what was going on.

During the graveyard shift we were expected to handle all of the stocking and no one during day/swing shift would fill anything always the excuse that they needed there stock crew on register while they had more than enough crew to cover the registers.

Pay is not worth it and no compensation if you work graveyard
Holidays are worse since they dont provide food or anything for those who have to work those Holidays. (what we were told by our Management Team.) i never ever heard of that from any company .
Pros
Discount Program 20% off CVS Brand, 30% off anything that over a dollar
Cons
Pay for graveyard and regular shifts, lack of upper management structure
Not Ever Again even if I had the Opportunity
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 24, 2016
I worked for CVS for approximately 20 years. It was great in the earlier days when they were just bought out (they use to be Revco) but then the big dark cloud started moving in and it all went south. I was proud of my work and loved my job. My co-workers were mostly great people and we were supportive of each other. It's the management that appeared to have a "God Complex" problem. I was an older worker who was very dedicated to my work but I noticed two other senior-workers and I were treated differently. I don't know if it was because we had been there a few years and made a little more money than the others or they just decided we weren't worth anymore. Bottom line is they stopped giving us raises, cutting our hours and treated us like second-class citizens. I knew my career there was over long before I left. It has been a struggle but nothing is better than waking up and knowing I deserved better than what they had me to believe I was. I've never looked back.
Pros
Insurance, pay check, 401K
Cons
age-descrimination, poor management, poor working conditions, constantly cutting hours and help with twice the work load.
Worst
Pharmacy Tech, Cvs (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 10, 2016
Worked at this company for 1 year with promises of getting benifits after being lead around the full time it turns out 5 months prior the "system changed" and neither my pharmacy manager or her boss knew about the changes packed my stuff and left after that.

Head pharmacist was border line negligent in her job and after many complaints from myself the other pharmacist and techs she is still in her job with no recourse taken.

After i had left the company (given my two weeks) i had a sit down with my district manager who dismissed most of my claims and then compared my job to a garbage collector
Pros
other techs were decent people
Cons
management, made to feel guilty for taking a 15 minute break while working a 9 hour day multiple times in a row
Great place for students looking for first/flexible job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of mostly ringing up customers at checkout, stocking merchandise, general store maintenance, and slgiht familiarity with photo, bluetooth, and lottery systems. I learned the value of time management and maintaining order and a level head whilst efficiently multitasking. Management was generally friendly and accomodating, as well as the other co-workers. Fellow co-workers typically made the workload easier to manage and more pleasant throughout the day. The hardest part of the job was always ringing up customers during the busiest parts of the day, while the most enjoyable part was usually the training involved with the oppotunities for advancement.
Pros
Friendly management and staff, flexible hours
Cons
Barely any breaks, usually under-staffed
multitask required
Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 8, 2016
typical high volume store with high demand for customer service. multitask and micromanagement of inexperience pharmacy technicians required. i learned how to communicate efficiently and to multitask. my pharmacist colleagues are hard workers, however technicians are relatively new, so a lot of micromanagement is necessary, which can be very distracting from my primary duty to quality assurance and to provide patient care. the hardest part of the job is as mentioned above, to maintain customer service, accuracy of verification while micromanage inexperienced staff and deal with large amount of prescription in very limited time frame. the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help patients improve their health.
Pros
salary
Cons
no break, poor upper management support, stress
Worst pharmacy chain to work for
CVS Phcy Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 3, 2015
The working conditions are terrible with no chance for lunch breaks almost 100% of the time. Management is the worst I've seen in 31 years as a pharmacist.

Having worked in 93 stores over five districts the general consensus among employees is that CVS Corporate does not care about their employees.

The workload is overwhelming even for the young pharmacists and usually impossible to complete. Not enough time to complete administrative tasks. Never enough technician help. It's all about the numbers. Management is not really supportive where it counts. Too much red tape and politics. The environment is conducive to a "every man/woman for himself/herself" atmosphere.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend working for this company. There is no balance between work and home because you have to work so many extra hours just to get the minimum accomplished and you do so without compensation so your family hours used up for company work is lost forever.
Pros
Cons
Everything is bad about this compnay
This could have been better
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAJanuary 15, 2016
Working at CVS was great at first then became increasingly bad to even terrible at times. The lack of management skills not by my front store manager, but the pharmacy manager and the district manager. They lacked compassion when life's occurrences happen. They also changed the schedule AFTER your prior shift was finished with no update or notice and then punish you because you didn't know. The pay was awful for what my duties were and what I was able to do with my training. I would reconsider this place for re-employment if the management had made great changes and the benefits were better for employees.
Pros
Making a change in people's lifes and getting genuine response
Cons
Awful management and compensation.
Strictly business, No room for employee respect
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Clemmons, NCFebruary 11, 2016
I worked for CVS Pharmacy for 11 years. During that time I had 7 different store managers and 3 different lead Pharmacists. The turn over for CVS is very high both in management and in lower levels of enjoyment. This is probably why you are constantly being assigned "work modules" to complete, sometimes without compensation.

The scheduling in the pharmacy is based on a "on demand" system that predicts what the business volume will be and schedule employees accordingly. Therefor, you WILL NEVER have a regular schedule. The management is not interesting in working with their employees in creating a regular schedule to allow their employees some predictability in their schedule and, thus, in their lives.

When I tried to gain a promotion management became more critical of factors that I could not control and ultimately held me responsible for these factors and terminated my employment. If I had been a snarky a** hole I would have had more success in gaining a higher level of pay and responsibly from this company. Being a caring, kind, and dedicated employee means nothing to these people.
Pros
routine in workflow, ability to develop relationships with customers
Cons
no regular schedule, no support from management, values $ more than values
Depends on where you're located
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  WashingtonJanuary 25, 2016
The employees around you are always the most important part of a job. Work at CVS can be fast paced, but it gets easy once you're comfortable. I've worked with fantastic managers that work really hard to help employees move up in the company. But CVS as a company encourages high standards in employees seeking advancement, which is a great idea in theory but in practice it leads to more often than not unfair judgement from upper management that can't give you an "Exceeds Expectations" on performance reviews because it looks bad on them.
Pros
vacation time, paid breaks
Cons
pharmacits don't get their breaks, some management won't let you use vacation
Stressful and Cynical
pharmacy technician (Current Employee) –  Lomita, CAJanuary 2, 2016
A terrible company that tries to squeeze every penny and every drop of effort out of everything and everyone.

None of their programs work well, all have flaws and problems. The metrics they use to measure productivity are poorly explained and poorly designed (though I'm sure they got some VP a bonus). It seems like every day the boss is riding you about some number being too low.

The mandatory huddles, writing assignments to write positive statements and other manpower drains just detract from actually assisting customers. Yet all feedback is completely stifled by a callous and honestly ridiculous management.

Do not plan on a career at CVS
Pros
it's a job
Cons
management, stress, meeaningless metrics
Great Externship
Externship/Apprentice (Former Employee) –  2800 Niles St.December 22, 2015
The externship I went to was great. The Pharmacist and staff there were excellent. They knew how to handle their business, and it showed when corporate visited the store and found the number to be highly impressive. This was a pharmacy that handled 700-800 prescriptions a day. fast-paced environment but not overwhelming. a great job with great people.

I listed compensation as one star because i was on externship only. I really didn't know how much tech's get paid. advancement was given 2 stars because it was suggested to me to apply for that particular pharmacy. they did need help and the Pharmacist in charge recommended me to apply. Great boss, great staff & fun environment.
Pros
Never went hungry. Staff at the pharmacy was always cooking
Cons
Pay only because of externship.
fast paced environment with great employees
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAMarch 30, 2016
Customers are always number one in this company. Everything you do in the store comes second to the customers wants and needs. Normally inventory needs to be kept up, deliveries taken in, cash drawers closed out, and of course customers taken care of in a timely fashion. Management is great and very accommodating to school schedules. In addition, there are growth opportunities to those who work hard and show that they want to grow with the company.
Pros
great flexible work schedules
Cons
very fast paced, constantly on the go
Productive work place
Cashier/Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 16, 2016
Job is ok, just need to raise pay from $9.00 to $12.00 per hour
The management and workers are the best but the amount of work required does not match with what they pay employees.
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
lots of work but pay is very low for the amount of work that's requested
A good company to get a core foundation for retail.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 4, 2016
Each day was dedicated to certain weekly projects like truck or merchandising. As management you learn the ins and outs of your particular store and what drives sales specifically to your customers. Management is very team oriented and since each cvs is staffed with less than 7 employees you build a sort of family type atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is trying to find enough hours to get everything done, stores are not budgeted any hours over the bare minimum.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
not enough hours