CVS Health Employee Reviews

Found 11,549 reviews matching the search
multitask required
Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 8, 2016
typical high volume store with high demand for customer service. multitask and micromanagement of inexperience pharmacy technicians required. i learned how to communicate efficiently and to multitask. my pharmacist colleagues are hard workers, however technicians are relatively new, so a lot of micromanagement is necessary, which can be very distracting from my primary duty to quality assurance and to provide patient care. the hardest part of the job is as mentioned above, to maintain customer service, accuracy of verification while micromanage inexperienced staff and deal with large amount of prescription in very limited time frame. the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help patients improve their health.
Pros
salary
Cons
no break, poor upper management support, stress
Worst
Pharmacy Tech, Cvs (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 10, 2016
Worked at this company for 1 year with promises of getting benifits after being lead around the full time it turns out 5 months prior the "system changed" and neither my pharmacy manager or her boss knew about the changes packed my stuff and left after that.

Head pharmacist was border line negligent in her job and after many complaints from myself the other pharmacist and techs she is still in her job with no recourse taken.

After i had left the company (given my two weeks) i had a sit down with my district manager who dismissed most of my claims and then compared my job to a garbage collector
Pros
other techs were decent people
Cons
management, made to feel guilty for taking a 15 minute break while working a 9 hour day multiple times in a row
Poorly managed store, little room for growth, poor team leadership.
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 28, 2016
Managers only care about numbers and not the employees. Favoritism is a large issue. Long time employees receive lots of freedom, while newer employees receive little training and consistent and harsh critiques. Managers allow long time employees to do only the tasks they wish and push newer employees to pick up the slack, with little recognition or reward.
Pros
Learning Experience, Customer, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay, Raises, Healthcare, Management, Short Breaks.
Flexible Hours
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INMarch 17, 2016
If you like working in a fast paced environment, then you will like working at CVS. After undergoing extensive training, you will have the confidence to perform your job. My co-workers are extremely professional and I am treated with respect. There are many technicians in the pharmacy and consideration is given to everyone's schedule and are extremely flexible and courteous in accommodating all the employees.

Before working in the pharmacy, you will be expected to have basic knowledge of a retail pharmacy, SIG codes, insurance requirements and identifying drugs. Don't worry, you don't have to memorize them. Their Rx computer system, though intricate, provides guidance through most situations you will encounter.

CVS is all about their customers so customer service is paramount. In addition to pharma training, you will be expected to complete their training on customer service.
Pros
Flexibility, People
Cons
Compensation, Not enough hours
cannot wait to get a new job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIFebruary 6, 2016
First off, if you like gossip this is the place to be. All the employees do is talk about everyone else. That's when they're not busy giving you an attitude. No one offers to cover shifts. If you do need to call out for an emergency, then you have to find your own coverage. Working 10 hours? Hope you only expect one half hour break. Standing for long periods of time, compensation is not worth the amount of work you have. Management is totally unapproachable. Not all the pharmacists, but most. Hired part time? Expect to work way over 30 hours a week but not accrue a single minute of sick time, vacation time or any other benefits. Expect favoritism. You'd like to work a morning shift once in a while but since other people conveniently complain and nag, you're stuck working all the late night shifts. You know, they're deserving to spend time with their families, but not you. Even after you've made several requests to have your hours cut or maybe stagger hours. Bottom line, I can't wait to find something new....soon.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
long hours, no appreciation and no room for advancement
A good company to get a core foundation for retail.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 4, 2016
Each day was dedicated to certain weekly projects like truck or merchandising. As management you learn the ins and outs of your particular store and what drives sales specifically to your customers. Management is very team oriented and since each cvs is staffed with less than 7 employees you build a sort of family type atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is trying to find enough hours to get everything done, stores are not budgeted any hours over the bare minimum.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
not enough hours
This could have been better
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAJanuary 15, 2016
Working at CVS was great at first then became increasingly bad to even terrible at times. The lack of management skills not by my front store manager, but the pharmacy manager and the district manager. They lacked compassion when life's occurrences happen. They also changed the schedule AFTER your prior shift was finished with no update or notice and then punish you because you didn't know. The pay was awful for what my duties were and what I was able to do with my training. I would reconsider this place for re-employment if the management had made great changes and the benefits were better for employees.
Pros
Making a change in people's lifes and getting genuine response
Cons
Awful management and compensation.
Challenging environment with limited resources
Manager, Marketing Creative Services (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 30, 2015
CVS Health is a challenging company to work for as resources become more and more limited each year. Open positions are not filled and many teams are expected to complete the same work with fewer employees. Management pays a lot of lip service to the corporate culture and opportunity for growth, but in reality work/life balance is often nonexistent and opportunities for advancement are rare. Benefits were excellent at one time, but have been slowly downgraded or eliminated. At a company where "health is everything," the medical benefit is deplorable.
Pros
Recognizable name/resume builder, excellent employee stock purchase program, employee discount at CVS/pharmacy
Cons
Outdated technology, limited resources, out-of-touch management, poor medical benefits
Not Ever Again even if I had the Opportunity
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 24, 2016
I worked for CVS for approximately 20 years. It was great in the earlier days when they were just bought out (they use to be Revco) but then the big dark cloud started moving in and it all went south. I was proud of my work and loved my job. My co-workers were mostly great people and we were supportive of each other. It's the management that appeared to have a "God Complex" problem. I was an older worker who was very dedicated to my work but I noticed two other senior-workers and I were treated differently. I don't know if it was because we had been there a few years and made a little more money than the others or they just decided we weren't worth anymore. Bottom line is they stopped giving us raises, cutting our hours and treated us like second-class citizens. I knew my career there was over long before I left. It has been a struggle but nothing is better than waking up and knowing I deserved better than what they had me to believe I was. I've never looked back.
Pros
Insurance, pay check, 401K
Cons
age-descrimination, poor management, poor working conditions, constantly cutting hours and help with twice the work load.
Knowledge/Experience - That's what you want.
Software QA (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2015
Being new to HealthCare, every day was/is a learning experience for me. From a fresh man in the Medical Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) to an expert in 1 year and 4 months is unbelievable for me. That's the level of learning experience i was going through. Handling multiple clients directly on call everyday was a beautiful thing that can happen to any employee. I enjoyed every day working here. Everyone believed me and gave such a tough project to me and I proved them correct. My manager and my Director were so confident in me that i can deliver and i did exceeded their expectation. Co-workers were so kind and were ready to help at any time when there is a need.

Overall it is a beautiful company to work for.
Pros
Flexible work culture
Overworked Employees Making Good Money Before Burning Out
Pharmacy Manager (PIC) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2016
Not very many people I worked with at CVS were happy. While CVS pays its pharmacists well, and their benefits are great, the work environment, and the amount of time put into the job are oppressive. Every year technician hour budgets are cut, and more work is given to the pharmacists who wind up working harder and harder for unsupportive management.
Pros
Good pay and Great benefits
Cons
Long, inflexible shifts with no breaks, and unsupportive management
No Structure
Graveyard Clerk/Cashier/Porter (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2016
In 2014 i moved from California to Nevada and i was looking for Job

I was hired By CVS at the start of 2015 and i enjoyed my training and the culture that was in place and pretty much enjoyed my time with my new co workers.

I got hired to open a new store on the strip and was excited to be apart of new concept store (No Pharmacy).

When we finally opened it started out ok but as it went on it looked Management had no clue as to what was going on.

During the graveyard shift we were expected to handle all of the stocking and no one during day/swing shift would fill anything always the excuse that they needed there stock crew on register while they had more than enough crew to cover the registers.

Pay is not worth it and no compensation if you work graveyard
Holidays are worse since they dont provide food or anything for those who have to work those Holidays. (what we were told by our Management Team.) i never ever heard of that from any company .
Pros
Discount Program 20% off CVS Brand, 30% off anything that over a dollar
Cons
Pay for graveyard and regular shifts, lack of upper management structure
Great Externship
Externship/Apprentice (Former Employee) –  2800 Niles St.December 22, 2015
The externship I went to was great. The Pharmacist and staff there were excellent. They knew how to handle their business, and it showed when corporate visited the store and found the number to be highly impressive. This was a pharmacy that handled 700-800 prescriptions a day. fast-paced environment but not overwhelming. a great job with great people.

I listed compensation as one star because i was on externship only. I really didn't know how much tech's get paid. advancement was given 2 stars because it was suggested to me to apply for that particular pharmacy. they did need help and the Pharmacist in charge recommended me to apply. Great boss, great staff & fun environment.
Pros
Never went hungry. Staff at the pharmacy was always cooking
Cons
Pay only because of externship.
Decent place to work but i wouldnt expect to make a living
pharmacy technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 18, 2015
Ive worked at CVS for a few years. My pay doesn't show it but they recently went up and now there starting pay is 9.00. They give an OK Raise yearly. A typical day at CVS can be pretty good, boring, chaotic or drama filled. It changes everyday. You develop a friendship with the people you work with and there all like a second family. The Hardest Part of the job is some of the workers, they way they speak to one another is disrespectful at times. But the most enjoyable part is the friendly customers that you see daily. Management honestly seems as if there all over the place and cant do their work efficiently. Overall there a decent place to work but they do not have the hours to compensate for a decent living. The customers make this store a great environment.
Pros
If your full-time there benefits are pretty decent, friendly customers
Cons
short breaks, healthcare is kinda of expensive. A lot of drama, not enough hours to give, You do alot for little pay, Slow promotions
dont do it
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYMarch 31, 2016
terrible company to work for, no work-life balance, terrible raises, not enough staff to get anything done. most of the time only 2 people on a shift. Dead end job no promotions.
Pros
its a job
Cons
everything, most of the time dont even get a full 30 minute break
Great place to work at the time and worked around personal schedule.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 19, 2016
Started out as a clerk early on in my life back in 1984 and stayed and worked for 23 years. I did cashier duties to stocking shelves and helping customers. Moved on and learned setting product on shelves to schematics for seasonal and regular sales departments. Moved into running the receiving department and checking in deliveries and receiving them into the system as well as helping out with quarterly inventories. Became a supervisor and running crews throughout the shifts and was in charge of sporting goods and the liquor departments and placed orders as needed and put the orders away as they came in. Moved on up to Assistant Manager and ran the store with all aspects of balancing the registers as well as the safe and made deposits to the bank and took care of customers and lined out employees and gave them direction for the daily tasks. Hardest part was going through so many management changes throughout the company. There was a big turnover. I enjoyed learning the business from the ground up to management in retail business.
Pros
flexibility, hours of service, working with people and helping customers
Cons
benefits and pay scale
Good start for someone just starting to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day at work is kind of boring. I don't really do to much besides, greet customers, run the cash register and just the basic. I've learned to handle large amounts of money and understand the work force when dealing with retail. My co-workers help me out when they can and always give me heads up on certain things I should know. The hardest part of my job is sometimes dealing with different attitudes: however, I manage to make it through the day still smiling and being happy. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping other people.
Benefits
Cons
Work weekends and holidays
Productive work place
Cashier/Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 16, 2016
Job is ok, just need to raise pay from $9.00 to $12.00 per hour
The management and workers are the best but the amount of work required does not match with what they pay employees.
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
lots of work but pay is very low for the amount of work that's requested
work@home opportunity@ CVS Caremark
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 28, 2016
Having the opportunity to work from home has been a blessing. Savings on gas has definitely been a plus.Typical day of work would be logging into the computer/phone system to take daily calls from members concerning their benefits and mail order prescriptions.
Pros
co-workers when I see them and w@h
Cons
computer glitches sometimes daily and miss my co-workers
Decent Job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NY 13323February 19, 2016
This is a good starting job for anyone wanting to get started int he workplace. It's a clean environment, encourages learning and has a good balance of rush times vs. calm. There is always something to do as well, no chance for sitting around.

However, for adults needing more substantial income, this is not the best option. I get paid too little and work too few hours to pay even half of my bills. If it was full-time, I'd be set.
Pros
Clean workplace, decent benefits
Cons
Too few hours, only part time