CVS Health Employee Reviews

Found 12,019 reviews matching the search
Awful company to work for.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Endicott, NYDecember 6, 2016
Unless its a part time job to get you through high-school or college. Do not ever work for this company. The management is horrible. I have worked for perverts and very lazy people. Corporate let the managers get away with anything. If you work hard you don't get recognition for it. You also won't get paid well as a Shift Supervisor, which is a management position. If you want to use your vacation hours your manager might not let you. You will also have to work mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Human Resources won't do anything to help you either. It's all about the bottom dollar, and politics. Lastly, they are very, very wasteful. They throw away billions of dollars worth of food that isn't expired yet, but will be in a month or so. Then they give you a hard time when you ask to donate it.
Pros
Benefits for full time workers like vacation time. (However, some managers won't let you use it if they need you to work)
Cons
Bad managment, HR, pay, retail in general isn't fun
Just Okay... Perks have decreased & Profit what's most important.. even if over safety
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  New York StateDecember 3, 2016
You'd think working for a health care company, let alone one of the largest, would get you the best benefits. Nope. On my wife's insurance because ours is poor. Other benefits have deceased one the years, such as how overtime and holiday pay is applied. Profits are paramount importance, being placed over pt care and pharmacist well being. The only time pt care is placed first is if it increases profit. Management gripes about technicians hours going over an a few hours a week (on a $10/hr salary... nothing compared to the money pulled in) while the CEO's and upper management make millions in bonuses, but that's coming down from above, our immediate managers getting slack from their bosses and so forth. Generally speaking my immediate supervisors have been great people though.
Productive and Professional Work Environment
Analyst - Implementations (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 26, 2016
A typical day at CVS Caremark would include a team conference including all departments within the PBM. It was my responsibility to coordinate each department's assignment in the implementation process. Management was very supportive and knowledgeable in the Operations of the PBM industry. Both management and my co-workers were always willing to help/train when needed. The cafeteria and outdoor eating areas provided a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere during lunch and breaks.
Pros
Excellent benefits, health fairs, outside training was encouraged and paid for by the company (ex: Dale Carnegie courses, computer training).
Cons
The holiday season was also our busiest time of the year, due to the nature of the business.
Negative and petty work environment
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Triangle, NCOctober 13, 2016
The store I work in has two full time employees in the pharmacy who are very unprofessional and treat other workers poorly. On top of having to deal with that, CVS pays very poorly and intentionally avoids providing decent benefits by keeping trainee's hours at 29 or less per week.

The management decision to under pay pharmacy technician trainees and avoid decent benefits is amazing considering they want these trainees to eventually become their full time pharmacy technicians. The poor treatment of their trainees has generated an excessively high turnover rate which the company has no one to thank but themselves for! I'm sure the CEO gets large yearly bonuses for earnings reports; however, I can't help but wonder how he came up with such an incompetent employment strategy...
Cons
Pay, benefits, treatment by coworkers, treatment by customers
Too much to say
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 25, 2016
Typical day: Do everyone else's work and your own, get yelled at for no reason.
Learned: Tons of knowledge of medications, diseases, vaccinations, insurance companies... absolutely invaluable knowledge!
Management: Screwed up corporate structure. No one knows who is in charge but WOW does everyone act like they are!
Compensation: I am a CERTIFIED pharmacy tech, the certification cost me $200 of my own money that CVS promised to pay me back, but never did. Every time I ask about it, I get passed off to someone else, it's a dead end. Also, i have worked at this company for 2 and 1/2 years, yet a girl that was hired last week that isn't certified and doesn't even know how to work a cash register makes the same amount per hour as I do. the yearly raises are only enough to keep up with the minimum wage increase. FANTASSSSTIIIC.

I do not enjoy this job, you will not either. This company has a high turnover rate for employees, don'y apply and find out why.
Pros
My co-workers are fun
Cons
management is under educated, customers treat you terribly, very low pay
productive workplace with excellent customer service
Customer Care Specialist/Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 3, 2016
count pills, type prescriptions into database, tend to the drive thru for patients who are picking up prescriptions.
I learned a lot about dosage and medications and what they are used for. I also learned time management things often got crazy.
The management team was very helpful and patient.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with the confrontation with the patients when they are unable to get their prescriptions.
The most enjoyable was knowing that i was doing my part to make that patient less sick or even make their day a little better by providing excellent service.
Pros
union, benefits etc.
Cons
patients attitudes
productive and client based environment
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 2, 2016
My typical day was managing client concerns in regards to there pharmacy benefits. I learned about how to manage large clients benefits as well as priorities my work so that my work got completed in a timely manner. I was able to work with my special teams to get work completed ahead of schedule.
Management at CVS was very different. It was a very hands off management. They allowed us to work independently as well as in our team unit. My co-workers were and still are my best friends. We all were able to work together in a team manner and get projects completed.
The hardest part about the jobs was relying on other areas of the business. When a client needed coding completed I had to rely on other areas to code the benefit. They did not always follow through with the case and you had to follow up to make sure they were getting the job completed.
My most enjoyable was that I worked with a great team. That is a very rare opportunity.
Pros
My team
Cons
Poor Management
CVS has one thing in mind: profits
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 7, 2016
CVS does not give store or pharmacy enough hours to properly operate. Store managers have to work many hours off the books to keep up with tasks. CVS operates large store doing millions of dollars on the same operating hours as small boutiques. The managers do not have good support staff due to the elimination of assistant managers. Most stores have 1 manger with part time and full time shift supervisors who all have the same responsibilities and rate of pay which is low around 12 dollars per hour for back breaking work. And not much opportunity to move up into higher management positions now that assistant mangers were eliminated. Back office procedures are out of date run on an DOS based system.
Pros
decent benifits
Hostile, high pressure, zero support from upper mgmt and poor pay
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCNovember 16, 2016
I was returning to work after a couple of years having been at home
taking care of an ailing parent. I was glad for the opportunity, but I
would not recommend it to anyone excepting those who are using
it as a stepping stone to something else. The pay is not competitive
and there are unreasonable expectations and a great deal of
pressure (put on all members of staff) for that level of compensation
/ benefits. Mgmt is more concerned with keeping the status quo
than handling problems, so if someone who is more experienced
is hostile to newcomers they will stand behind the more experienced
person because they cannot risk losing them. That gives them
carte blanche to be rude and inconsiderate and push people out
of certain areas (like production) when they feel threatened. If
someone doesn't WANT to work drive-thru or pickup bc all of the
conversation is at drop-off and production? It's an easy way of
ensuring they get their way.
Great hours and Benefits
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILSeptember 20, 2016
CVS Health was a great company to work for as far as benefits. The management could have been better. They were not always on the same page and many employees were not on the same page with the management. A typical day at CVS was when you first came through the door, you would look at where you would be at depending on what position you were hired for. You could be on the shipping line, filling, etc. You do stand for the whole shift unless there is a medical issue where you need to sit and you will need to provide a doctor's note. I loved the pizza parties and my co-workers. I loved everything about CVS even the hours. I was 1st shift which was mainly 5:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. They did a later shift as well. You typically worked the weekends unless you are lucky and Sunday was usually an off day unless they called overtime. Many Sundays were Mandatory and any Overtime throughout the week was Mandatory unless stated otherwise.
Pros
Pizza parties, great benefits
Cons
management, short lunch
Stressful
Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MAJuly 27, 2016
Fast paced atmosphere, with lazy coworkers. You get praised for doing your job well by having to do theirs also. Customers are aggressive and abusive. They can say whatever they please to you, and then you'll owe them a gift card for not being better at taking abuse. Not allowed to stand up for yourself. Upper management is awful. Days goes by fast because of how many people you'll deal with in your shift. The tech in training program was beneficial in helping me receiving my state and national licenses. Cvs pays for all training and one test per person. The front store thinks they are above you and will always have something to say about it.
Pros
Training, licenses
Cons
Upper management, lazy coworkers, abusive customers
Great work atmosphere and opportunities to advance
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 19, 2016
CVS is a great place to work. Management and co-workers are all friendly, positive, helpful and work as a team. It is a very positive environment. I really appreciated how CVS offers multiple advancement opportunities for its employees. The benefits packages are excellent too. My only complaint would be the constantly revolving work schedules that prevent you from having regular sleep habits. Another draw back of working at CVS is a lack of available staff to cover employees sick days or vacation times. Other than that I would recommend anyone who wants a stable job with opportunities to advance within the company to consider working for CVS.
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
Revolving work hours, lack of staff
This company has lost focus of what Customer service means.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2016
On a typical work day I would work extra hours because someone has changed their schedule and the MOD didn't know or someone would call out and there was no one to take their place. There were always too many tasks for one person and most people didn't work with the team mentality. I loved helping customers finding items that they needed and they couldn't locate. And sharing my knowledge with any co worker who wanted to know more about store operations. But in the long run I felt burnt out and unappreciated by the Management staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not enough people to run the store
great company
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 1, 2016
I started with this company immediately after school and it was not easy especially since i was new to the medical field, but 5yrs later i have learned and grown so much i would recommend Coram to any of my friends in the medical industry. the company is continuously growing, the staff is diversified, the work is challenging, management is okay, but the rewards are endless from room for growth, traveling opportunities, learning, sharpening your skills, 401k, and yearly pay raise.
Flexible hours, great team, hit or miss management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 29, 2016
I love working as a sales associate because of the flexible hours and the great team that I work with. The customers can be great too. I love the employee discount and coupons. Compensation is pretty low, it is retail, and raises are very small. Advancement is easy for people who have better availability and flexibility. Store managers are hit or miss, and come and go frequently sometimes. It is very much a retail atmosphere and cooperate puts a lot of restraints on each store expecting employees to do a lot with very little. At this point in my life, the job schedule has worked well for me. I have been able to work nights and weekends while staying home during the day with my children.
Pros
Great team, flexible hours, employee discount and perks
Cons
lower pay and store managers come and go
Helping customers, just not in regards to their health
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  VANovember 21, 2016
Working for CVS is difficult. There are numerous operations tasks that need to be accomplished throughout the day, but you are also expected to help customers. The difficulty comes when customers have questions about their health: You can not make recommendations regarding the health of your customers, they have to talk to the pharmacist. The pharmacist, who is trying to churn out as many prescriptions as he can with limited help from burnt-out pharmacy technicians, doesn't have the time to spare. It is a very broken system. With proper training, all store employees could see to the needs of the customers and create a better overall experience.

Advancement is also difficult. Promotions are dangled in front of you and then yanked away at the last minute. Very frustrating for those trying to better their career. Since the workload is so difficult, managers will slow the advancement of strong employees, which is also very frustrating.
Pros
Great insurance benefits, good compensation
Cons
Excessive workload, inability to truly help customers
have to be a very quick learner in a fast pace environment with limited training
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2016
the pharmacist run you around like a chicken and a tell u what to do and they just stand there and watch, no team work in the place at all and the corporate office has a budget that have been cut and all hours have been cut. All full time employees don;t get 32 plus hours. The CEO of CVS gets all bonuses and nothing for the employees. Employees are to get a 2% raise every and I have only received 3 for all of the hard work that i have done. I have learned everything there is to know and i feel like i cant grow with this company and i used to love my job, but now its like just get up and go to work and do your shift and go home, My co- workers are lazy and don;t do as much work as I do, and the management do help as well, where i work is S.E. dc and the people are so rude, call u out your name and want to fight you. They will wait for you when you get off and fight, this is a high crime area and they steal everyday and shoot people. Working at this location I have to be on my pins and needles because you never know what is going to happen, I don;t recommend anyone to work for CVS.
Work life Balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 16, 2016
CVS is a great place to work. no issues of being laid off. Benefits are there and the salary is there. The only downfall is that CVS does not have enough work life balance. You will get paid to work 45 hrs and then frequently have to work upwards of 70 to get the job done correctly.The turn over rate is insane,because of the actual time you have to spend at work due to the budgets you are given to meet. Be prepared for working every time someone calls off and be prepared to work all holidays and weekends as well as nights.
Pros
Fun group of Management
Cons
No work personal life balance
Great pay and customers but terrible people to work with and for.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCOctober 6, 2016
Was hired part-time but worked full-time hours. Started to ask about full-time pay and benefits etc. Kept being cut short on answers. Co-workers were highly unprofessional, childish and harassment spun me into a whirlwind of emotions everyday. Cried at home every few days after work. Reported to management and corporate and nothing was done. I was dismissed on account of personality mismatch (unprofessional).
Pros
Good Pay and Great Patient-Tech Relationships
Cons
Co-workers and Management were terrible people
Great environment to work for and you will learn plenty of useful information
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2016
It is interesting to learn about several medications and interactions
Working helps you understand the healthcare systems, insurance, and consumer needs
Must be efficient in Pick up, Drop Off and Production
Must help to maintain accurate inventory of medications
Must be able to multi task and handle several situations at the same time
Hard part- A lot of running around and at times customers may be a handful
Enjoyable part- Great Co-workers who help you get through the day
Pros
Management is willing to work around your schedule, great coworkers
Cons
Short Breaks, Not much benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CVS Health. Our community is ready to answer.