CVS Health Employee Reviews

Found 13,220 reviews matching the search
Limited opportunity for advancement and poor compensation and benefits
Principal Technology Lead (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIDecember 29, 2016
Limited opportunity for advancement and poor compensation and benefits.
There is no clear path as what needs to happen for career advancement. From all indication advancement depends on who you know as opposed to merit based on skills or even tenure. You train new workers coach them and they get promoted two levels above you. In summary this company is characterized by poor management structure and an unfair culture rigged against those not in the in-crowd.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No clear steps on how to advance your career, High turnover, High workload, Compensation is not competitive, Poor choice of employee benefit plans, Poor management structure, Emotionally stressful work environment, non-inclusive culture
Hard work for not enough pay
Shift Supervisor A (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 19, 2017
Working at CVS was overall a very stressful and draining experience. The store managers work so many hours and if they calculate it all, make nothing on their salary with the time they actually spend in store. The inability to receive 40 hrs per week if you are full time was another issue that I had. As well as the way they conducted business moves. The upper management always seemed to be so hasty in buying out other pharmacies, then had to conduct a company-wide cut on vital positions that caused many who had worked so hard to get promotions to either leave the company or be demoted. Unfortunately I was a part of that many, and as a result, I had to seek employment elsewhere. The worst part of working at CVS was the lack of empathy or compassion from upper management, the best part was my coworkers and customers.
Pros
Decent Benefits for Full time employees
Cons
low pay, small raises, not much room to advance
Long Hours, Little Recognition, Assembly Line
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 26, 2017
Adequate salary but little to no work/life balance especially if you're a manager. Goals would be manageable if the stores were properly staffed, however, that is an almost impossible task with the state of the hiring system. New hires commonly take one to two months to reach the store level. Due to low margins in the retail pharmacy space, the culture is one of getting prescriptions out quickly no matter how dangerous to patients that might be. Myself and many pharmacists I've worked with have thought of walking out due to stress and unattainable goals. Your experience may vary widely depending on what store/district you are in, but I've heard the same story from many people.
Pros
Good salary, adequate healthcare and benefits
Cons
Rarely enough time to take breaks (bathroom and lunch), and basically every other aspect of the job not mentioned in pros
Most managers are out of touch
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2017
Most managers are out of touch with how their employees feel about the work environment. They are so worried about meeting their numbers that district and regional bosses make. Pay is minimal and raises are even more minimal. It's sad this corporation is so greedy. Minimum of 2 people on each shift, theft is high cause the theives know the cameras are the pits and where employees are. It could be a good company if the CEO and his staff came and worked a week in the front retail part of the store. If your not the store manager plan on working alot of weekends and afternoon evening shifts. No such thing as an anonymous complaint to HR. Managers always figure out who made the complaint.
Pros
Room to advance if you wish
Cons
Pay, work hours, work expectations
flexible company
Pharmacy Technician/Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day at work is multitasking under pressure. I learned my native language which is spanish while engaging with customers everyday. I learned a lot about inventory, filling prescriptions, and alleviating health insurance company discrepancies. Immediate management in my home store are very caring and thoughtful, but also abide by the rules. District management are very strict to meet their standards and goals that is expected from the front end of the store, as well as pharmacy. The hardest part of the job is knowing that pharmacies sometimes will have to go by a budget, which requires hours to get cut. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting through the day being a problem solver and customers who have been helped go home happy and on a path to a better health when they get their medication.
Pros
schedule, teamwork, programs
Cons
healthcare, raises, opportunity for advancement
Store Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 11, 2017
CVS is a very fast paced place to manage. Between all of the day to day activities and customer service, a lot is asked of management. One must be able to multi-task or you will not do well in this company. The benefits are really good, even though the health insurance is a bit on the high side. They compensate that by having no co-pay for prescriptions filled at a CVS pharmacy. You are also given a credit card with which to pay your co-pays at the doctor. I feel like there is not enough support at times from district and regional headquarters, but this is due to their high workload as well. All in all, a good place with many advancement opportunities.
Pros
Good benefits for health insurance
Cons
Never enough staff
Job First; People Second
IT Manager/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILMarch 4, 2017
Very dynamic, fast-paced, and chaotic organization. Weekly minor code changes. Bi-monthly Major code changes. This creates an environment that demands a lot of technical support, but the support functions and staff are second class citizens. It takes a special person with high tolerance for change and below average processes and procedures.

There are some very good people working here, and too few good leaders. They say "people leave managers, not companies". Although I think retention is above average in this company, outsourcing has made staying more of a requirement and necessity than a desire.
Pros
Good coworkers, benefits, general working conditions
Cons
Work/Life balance, documented processes and procedures
Typical Corporation
LEAD PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 20, 2017
CVS is a typical corporation where the upper management's main priority is clearly to make money above all else. They pay outside contractors to create scoring systems for nearly everything involved in the workflow at the store level and then criticize employees based on these numbers as if it is a reliable system (even though it has been proven to be very flawed and not an accurate representation of what is really happening in the store). Upper management is out of touch with what is happening on the store level in general.
Pros
pay and benefits are competitive
Cons
only 30 minute lunch regardless of length of shift, disconnection between store and upper management, highly stressful
Enjoyable workplace with great benefits
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2017
This job embodies a typical retail pharmacy setting. The relationships with patients and co-workers is amazing. However, there is little room to "climb the corporate ladder" without becoming a pharmacist or a store manager. Monetary compensation is lacking, which leads to a high turnover rate in both the pharmacy and the front store. This job is ideal for students and people with young families, as the hours are generally flexible. Dealing with the public and working in situations where staffing is at a minimum make this job difficult. However, if you have a good team and thick skin, this job can be quite rewarding.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Great Co-workers, Great Insurance
Cons
Minimal Room For Advancement, Low Monetary Compensation
Awful company to work for.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Endicott, NYDecember 6, 2016
Unless its a part time job to get you through high-school or college. Do not ever work for this company. The management is horrible. I have worked for perverts and very lazy people. Corporate let the managers get away with anything. If you work hard you don't get recognition for it. You also won't get paid well as a Shift Supervisor, which is a management position. If you want to use your vacation hours your manager might not let you. You will also have to work mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Human Resources won't do anything to help you either. It's all about the bottom dollar, and politics. Lastly, they are very, very wasteful. They throw away billions of dollars worth of food that isn't expired yet, but will be in a month or so. Then they give you a hard time when you ask to donate it.
Pros
Benefits for full time workers like vacation time. (However, some managers won't let you use it if they need you to work)
Cons
Bad managment, HR, pay, retail in general isn't fun
Diverse, pleasurable and flexible
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northville, MIFebruary 16, 2017
My position consisted of me working as a clerk, cashier and customer service representative. Each day I would have different positions to take care of, such as using the register, stocking items, cleaning, and assisting customers with various needs. The management is well handled, supportive and incredibly friendly, and the environment is acceptable. The most difficult aspect of the job was trying to please every customer as possible, while the most enjoyable aspect was being social with customers and giving them a wonderful everlasting impression.
Pros
Friendly and supportive staff & customers, good health benefits, flexible scheduling
Cons
Lack of staff, poor reliability of security
Amazing, positive environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 25, 2017
Working for CVS is amazing. They set the standard for how a company should treat employees. The pay is decent for a part time cashier position.The benefits are plentiful and made to fit the needs of each employee. The HR department is wonderful and the management is overall positive. Communication is always very important and everyone feels equal in the workplace. The only drawback is that some stores aren't as busy as others, so this may result in some employees receiving less hours. The training seminar was also very far from my house. However I received compensation for the travel.
Pros
Really good employee discounts, health plan, union friendly, good management
Cons
Sometimes understaffed, long hiring process, hours sometimes unpredictable.
I mean...there's potential!
Split Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Chemung, NYMarch 3, 2017
The job itself isn't difficult, but it is often unbearable due to the lack of resources to do your job. Management has too many meetings and not enough results, completely incapable of providing the easiest solutions to the problems. Instead, they come up with ineffective solutions to motivate employees, which do not work because of the easiest solutions not being explored. When new and good ideas are given by employees or lower level management, there is rarely any buy in from upper management, but when upper management pitches ideas to benefit their numbers to the detriment of the associates, those ideas usually stick. There is little to no job security due to the suffocating mass of policies and procedures, and some functions receive blame and lose good associates due to management's inability to find proper root causes to problems.

HOWEVER...they DO have a good benefits package, all things considered!
Pros
Comprehensive benefits package, good work culture among hourly associates
Cons
Pay is not competitive for similar work in area, lack of hour stability
No opportunity for advancement unless you know the district manager
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bayamón, PRJanuary 26, 2017
In Puerto Rico, there is no opportunity for advancement unless you're close to a manger or a really good friend of the district manager. Always under staffed, no lunch breaks even when required by law. Managers does not have a clue on how to treat their employees and sometimes they even discriminate them. Pay is very low for what you do and increases are also low or none. Shifts are constantly changed and sometimes not communicated on time.

If you want a career where you feel appreciated don't work in this company.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, poor management
Very busy work, upper management is terrible, little realistic job advancement
Pharmacy Manager/Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  NJFebruary 18, 2017
If you work with a good team and you love dealing with customers this is a very nice job to have. Definitely very busy place to work, especially if you work at a busy store. Long hours and no breaks for pharmacists at all. Techs do get breaks but not compensated nearly enough for the amount of work and responsibilities cast upon them. Of course, constantly understaffed. I can't stress efficiency enough. Whatever you do, it is never ever enough for upper management (experience could be different if you have a nice manager, but that's extremely rare). People are very replaceable, and they won't hesitate to remove you at all. Just don't be sad or suprise when it happens.

Nice 401k match. Slow build up on vacation days, poor health insurance (patient saving plans), stock option plan...

Overall, if you love your team you deal with daily and love the fast work, and most of all, the customers.... then this is not that bad of a position
Pros
401k plan
Cons
insurance coverage, no breaks for pharmacist, terrible upper management
Just a job
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIMarch 6, 2017
To me CVS presented more problems then any job i had ever worked. I have never dealt with so much co-worker drama on my life. Everybody talked about everyone in every pharmacy i worked at. The pharmacist treated you like you were stupid. Everyone always got an attitude when you asked them for help with anything you didn't know. A lot, of cashier time and not enough time actually learning how to do everything. Tons of modules to complete and meetings that don't necessarily help you. The job has the potential to be good it just attracted some really terrible people.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
no room for advancement, no raises, a lot of training, unethical work conditions, low pay
Productive, but demanding environment and position
RX Shift Supervisor/Front Store Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, INMarch 19, 2017
CVS can be a great employer. However, in any management position, CVS can easily take much of your time and leave little time for a life outside work. There tends to be a shortage of employees for the amount of daily tasks to be completed. The shortage of employees is due to the store not being given enough hours to schedule employees without going over "budget". The most enjoyable part is the (typically) friendly customers if the store is located in a small, more rural area and the salary can be great at some locations. 6.5/10 would recommend someone to work for CVS.
Pros
Salary, work environment
Cons
Short breaks, demanding of your time
Productive but intense retail pharmacy experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLFebruary 8, 2017
A typical day at work involves being able to multi-task quickly yet efficiently while providing excellent customer service. Very many patients come in upset over unresolved prior authorizations or insurance discrepancies, so be prepared to handle these patients with the best set of customer service skills regardless of any negative demeanor they may possess towards you. You will be very busy and slammed while trying to do multiple things accurately at once, so be prepared to handle all of the stress and pressure.
Cons
Breaks feel too short often times in comparison to the busy workflow, Raises are far and few between.
Overworked, low pay, Management takes advantage of you
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chester, NYJanuary 10, 2017
I just found out that Taco-Bell pays you more than CVS. I applied as a part-time associate, but was given full time hours and was overworked with no benefits. Constant complaints from managers even when I stand for one more minute to keep on doing my job? I was told to call the manager when I needed help, when there are more than 3 people in line but was told that they have their own work to do and not call so much. I tried talking to them about it, but as soon as a customer comes, they cut me off and forget about what I was trying to tell them. Although I request mandatory days off and work the days that they requested (which was a lot), they countered me on my request forums and told me they give me more advantage (which they don't). Each manager had their own ways of doing things and I could not accustom to their needs when my customers are my first priority.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Bad Management, Low pay
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 10, 2017
A typical day would be starting off with a review of the tapes from the night before, then a walk around the sales floor to check to see if any thing is out of place. By the middle of the day I would at leas catch two or three shoplifters.Then by the end of my shift I would write the reports up and end my day. I've learned how to be more obbservent and I also learned how to be more organized. My co-workers were very nice and always helpful. I love how the job had great benefits and I love how we traveled to store to store. The hardest part of the job was not knowing what the other person would do once u apprehend them. The management staff was pretty good with keeping us updated with new information we needed to know about.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CVS Health. Our community is ready to answer.