The California Land Stewardship Institute (CLSI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to planning and implementing environmental stewardship, restoration and enhancement programs and projects including educational activities, scientific studies, promotion of beneficial stewardship practices and resource conservation activities on private lands and waterways.
CLSI operates the Fish Friendly Farming (FFF) Environmental Certification Program in Sonoma, Mendocino, Napa, Solano, and El Dorado counties. CLSI works with hundreds of landowners and managers, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and a number of private consultants to design and implement environmental projects. The organization’s offices are located in Napa, California.
CLSI carries out its programs and projects by establishing collaborative relationships with landowners/managers and agricultural organizations. CLSI also completes scientific studies and monitoring in cooperation with landowners and other scientists.
We are seeking a Project Manager to carry out a range of activities including a stream flow monitoring program with grapegrowers, implementation of the FFF program for both irrigated lands and rangeland, and to assist with the implementation of erosion control and stream restoration projects. The Project Manager will work with other staff to coordinate programs and projects run by the California Land Stewardship Institute. The Project Manager will be an integral part of a small and collaborative staff who work together closely.
- With oversight from the Executive Director the Project Manager will work with the agricultural community to increase the capacity of farmers to monitor stream flow and groundwater, coordinate diversions, and avoid conflicts with listed salmonids.
- Completion of outreach and site assessments for the Fish Friendly Farming Program.
- Assist with implementation of the Fish Friendly Ranching Program. This program addresses water quality improvements and habitat restoration on actively grazed rangelands including providing TMDL compliance.
- Coordinate workshops on invasive plant removal, native plant revegetation, demonstration projects, and other topics as needed.
- Process various types of monitoring data and Draft Summary Reports; analyze for various features and trends.
- Contribute to a monthly or quarterly newsletter produced by CLSI
- Develop and manage other restoration projects as needed, including seeking permits and landowner approval.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative manner with private landowners
- Educational background and experience in hydrology, geomorphology, aquatic or riparian ecology. Minimum requirements are a B.A. or B.S.; M.A. or M.S a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in managing environmental projects
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Maturity, integrity, and experience to gain the trust and confidence of private landowners, farmers, colleagues, and partners
- Results orientation, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously within budget and deadlines
- Strong sense of ethics and respect for confidentiality of information
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Commitment to working in a mission-driven, fast-paced environment
- Ability to operate with flexibility in times of change
- Confident public speaker
- Strategic thinker and planner
- Understanding of non-profit organizations and the flexibility required to effectively participate in an inclusive model of decision-making
- Familiarity with North Bay and/or farming communities a plus
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with a variety of constituencies
- Proficient with GIS, particularly ArcGIS
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver preferred
- Own a car with valid driver’s license and insurance with ability to travel when necessary: driving is required throughout the North Bay
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with medical and dental benefits and retirement plan. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience.