Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Good Temporary Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXMarch 6, 2016
This company used to be an awesome place to work for. We used to be fully staffed through out the store and we had caring managers who really cared about the people who worked for them. And in turn the customer service ratings were through the roof. People loved shopping there and people loved working there. But since we went public as a company and the founder died, the company has gone down hill. The staff has been cut down and skeletonized to cut down on costs. The pressure from corporate on managers to raise sales and club card memberships has caused a huge drop in focus on morale. And the few good employees that haven't been let go are quitting themselves because they don't feel appreciated or secure in their job anymore. The co-workers are friendly and fun. The compensation is relatively fair. But advancement is extremely difficult to obtain which makes for a good short term job but not an environment fit for those who are looking for something long term.
Great place to work, hard work though
Camping Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 15, 2016
I like the job, I like some of the people I work with and I love dealing with different customers each day. In my store I don't feel like there is an availability to move up: there are favorites and it is apparent. Also I signed up for the health benefits as a part timer and got screwed so don't do that.
Pros
new customers everyday, new products to learn and play with, always something new to learn
Cons
healthcare for part timers isn't worth it, favorites are picked, some managers walk around and act like they own the place, not all coworkers do what they can to help customer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 23, 2016
Cabela's is a great place to work. Work/life balance was good. Compensation was not all that great. Not much room for advancement at all especially since Corporate continually cuts jobs.
Pros
Abilily to 'test' products
Cons
Upper management is immature and is only out for themselves
Decent steady job, outgoing employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 11, 2016
Some days are extremely busy and exhausting, others are boring and slow. I learned some sales strategies. The managers are wonderful and understanding, some of the leads not so much. Most of my co-workers are great, friendly, and easy to talk to or ask for help. The hardest part of the job is given a directive and told otherwise by another manager, as well as the hours differ weekly. The most enjoyable part is hearing stories from customers, and that dogs are allowed in the store.
Pros
free food occasionally, awesome coworkers, 401k.
Cons
short breaks, different shift each day, stressful job.
Great working environment.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTMarch 9, 2016
My co-workers are a blast to work with. I was able to utilize my skills from previous jobs. Nobody stabs anybody in the back, unlike some of my previous jobs. All in all its one of the best jobs I've had.
Pros
Free lunches, wiling to work with your schedules, great employees.
Cons
part time gets no health benefits
Horrible Management
Gun Counter (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 1, 2016
The only good thing about working here was the people I met and worked with otherwise you get horrible hours if you get any hours at all. The merchandise is so over priced that when the sale goals are not met they cut hours. They fired full time people and brought some back part time so they can use them as they see please. The management shows favoritism and they don't really care about you at all. You'll work every weekend too so good luck trying to see your family. They are short staffed so good luck getting a break or lunch. Definately overworked for the little pay and little hours that you get.
Pros
Good friends
Cons
no breaks, lunches, management horrible
Summary
Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 25, 2016
A great company that has gone down in recent years due to the death of one of its founding members. Great benefits, but very strict on required hours. More accommodation for part-timers than full-timers.
fun but stressful
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 6, 2015
Generally a fun company to work for, especially if you love the outdoors. Advancement is not very easy unless you have an "in" with the management.
Pros
good discount and benefits for full-time people
Cons
part-time people treated better than the full time people, advancement with in the company difficult
Fun work place and expert staff
Customer Service Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 6, 2015
A typical day includes checking past due holds, taking phone calls, doing returns, processing holds, placing orders, help customers in picking up online orders, ringing out customers. I have learned how to lead a team and how scheduling works and general business practices understandings. The management is helpful and willing to help employees advance through providing feedback and advice. My co-workers are helpful and helped me understand myself better. The hardest part of my job is dealing with extremely upset customers. the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I helped customers and that they leave happier than when they arrived.
Pros
benefits, paid time off, and holiday pay to part time employees, Major Holidays off, Commissions on kiosk orders and credit card membership referrals
Cons
Scheduling for coverage is light during slow times.
Great place to work with great people
Product Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 27, 2015
Great place to work with great management and customers. Compensation is low for me, but it may be high for retail. The company tries to keep everyone energized and educated while being professional. Customer service is the top priority and everyone is expected to act accordingly. They have many fun days and really try to treat all employees with respect and fairness. Great place to work retail.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Schedule must be open
Used to be a fun company to work for
Merchandise Planner (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEOctober 1, 2015
I came into the company on the ground floor of the Planning organization. Since that time, the Planning organization has gone through several iterations. Some for the better; some not.
Systems were improving but have a long way to go.
Finding the best talent in the industry is challenging due to the location of the company.
People I worked with were always the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Salary paid higher than industry standards.
Cons
Productive, exciting and encouraging workplace, easy going employees. Very rewarding job.
Product Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJuly 6, 2016
I got to manage my time myself, so a typical day was checking emails and responding accordingly, planning new events and training's, researching new products, going over standard operating procedures with new employees. Promoting events inside and outside the store, helping customers on the sales floor by providing superior customer service. My management was not very interested in my day to day procedures or in listening to issues or concerns I may have had. But I most enjoyed the amount of information I got to learn and the amount of customer interaction I was able to have.
Pros
Healthcare, Events, Discount, Upbeat
Cons
Was flexible with my schedule at first.
Clothing Processor and Backend Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Gonzales, CAJune 9, 2016
Cabela's can be a fun place to work, especially if you enjoy the outdoors and are into Hunting or Fishing. Most of the people that work there are pleasant and hard working. I started as an Overnight employee working freight to the floor, because that was the only time my schedule with young children allowed for me. I then moved to the day shift when my kids were in school. It was only recently that the shift has changed not allowing me to be there for my family as needed. The company is changing as a whole and it is affecting the livelihood of many in a negative way. Cutting hours, changing shift times to unreasonable hours. It is unfortunate because I really enjoyed my position and the people I worked with.
Pros
Outfitters are friendly and nice to work with.
Cons
No Longer have family friendly shifts and not willing to be flexible.
Amazing company
Project/Portfolio Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEMarch 14, 2016
Cabela's is a growing retail company with a loyal customer base. The company is very supportive of its employees and work/life balance. Management has an open-door policy and was very accessible. My co-workers were the best part of the day. I was blessed to work with a smart, talented group that challenged me every day.
not a place to work if you still need to earn a living
Sales Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAJune 29, 2016
low pay, poor benefits, discounts on products that is at times only equal to sale prices. The company has rapid ideas for grand expansion, but within the retail setting there is little room for advancement. Many (but not all) department managers see this as only a job, not a "career" and have no passion for the outdoors or the products being sold. Strategically the company is posed to become a wal-mart/ k-mart or the outdoors they do not value employees experience enough to pay them well, and as such end up with less passionate employees just stocking shelves.
Pros
some neat products if you enjoy the outdoors
Cons
pay, benefits, hours, (some) leadership
Corporate vs CLUB
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 12, 2016
I enjoyed working for Cabela's. But there was a big difference between corporate and CLUB. At corporate, I worked in a planning/inventory role. So I was working with product. I enjoyed that because I was able to see new items and get hands on experience with those items. I transferred to CLUB. I knew going in the hands on product would go away, but the thing that really changed was the atmosphere. it almost felt forced, by some people, to be part of the outdoors. You don't have to be part of the outdoors to work at Cabela's. If you aren't part of the outdoors, you may feel pressure to try something outdoor related. I don't think that's right. Job title at CLUB was marketing analyst, no in depth analysis was ever done. It was more task/calendar management. I didn't care for that.
Pros
discount and talking about hunting and shooting
Declining Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 17, 2015
Cabela's has great employees and fantastic benefits but the company seems to be heading in the wrong direction and is too focused on pushing credit cards.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation
Cons
Culture, Corporate Management, Unrealistic goals
fluctuation concerning work consistency.
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WAMay 9, 2016
At start up our Supervisor presents the inbound estimation of trucks and then will determine how may teams we will have on inbound to unload the trucks. (typically 3-4 teams 2per team.)

Managment comes out on the floor frequently to evaluate the flow of work between trucks being unloaded to the scanners receiving the cases to having everything flowing to outbound to be shipped out.

My Co-workers are what keep the day interesting and light because of various genres of humor.

The hardest part of the job is keeping a positive morale inside a mundane work environment overall feeling like its a dead end job.

The most enjoyable part of the day is our breaks ONLY because myself and a couple other co workers play chess to challenge our minds daily.
Pros
Easy hours for work 7:00am-3:30pm
Cons
Health Benefits and Hourly wage compare to workload
Was a greay company but now emoyees dont matter.
Warehouse overnight (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJune 25, 2016
This was a great place to work until recently.
Store management isn't bad but corporate has no idea what they're doing. The company is selling and going through its third restructuring in 5 years to "save money". This means getting rid of the 3 or 4 full time employees and then hiring 20+ part timers which will cost money, not save money.
Customers and employees mean nothing to this company and that's why they're failing and a horrible place to work now since there's no more job security like there used to be.
Pros
Co-workers, schedule
Cons
Low pay, expensive and low quality benefits, corporate mentality.
A few glitches
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Acworth, GAJuly 8, 2016
I've been with Cabela's for a year now, and there are a few glitches. And a lot of "what in the world?!" type questions when it comes to management, or how things are done. But, over all, it isn't a bad place to work until you are ready to start a career, or just need to get out of the house a few hours a day.

Down side is, just like any job, there are a lot of those people who are "favored", while others who can't "get away" with much like most can.

Some get away with taking long breaks, and tend to roam around.

But, I love my job, but I just can't handle retail much longer.
Pros
rewards, opportunities, pay above minimum wage
Cons
favortism, lack of communication