Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun healthy work atmosphere
Seasonal Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 7, 2017
This Job is a great choice for anyone who values customer service and shares a passions for the outdoors. Cabelas demands legendary customer service from each and every employee how ever in training they give you very helpful tips on how to accomplish this.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lots of standing
Fun but definitely not recommended to those looking to advance in their career
Direct Filling (Current Employee) –  Tridelphia, West VirginiaJanuary 7, 2017
Well it's a great, fun place to work, however definitely not permanent or long time. Mostly seasonal. You're on your feet a lot, in fact all the time no sitting down. Definitely not recommended for those who need a lot of time to rest. Management are mostly all related so you're not likely to get that, not many positions available for full time.
Pros
Good money
Cons
You get laid off quickly
Hopefully changes are made with BPS buyout
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJanuary 6, 2017
Worked for company a long time in many stores, and it used to be a company that was all about it's outfitters/employees. When they went public after Dick Cabela passed, the whole company changed their tune and became about bottom line.
When you pay fair wages and do your best to support a larger staff (and not cut workers and hours to support bottom line) you create an environment that learns and sells. When I started, workers at Cabela's were the most knowledgeable people, and even though prices were a bit higher, the customer service pays for itself! I am just so sad to see it become just another wal-mart, even when there are so many good people working there.

I will say that one rotten egg can poison the batch too. Sorry to leave a company I cared for with blood sweat and tears...
Pros
Amazing customers and some awesome employees
Cons
A deteriorating culture
Great Place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ringgold, GAJanuary 4, 2017
Encourages employees to improve knowledge, abilities and skills.
Prepares project plans on time and in sufficient detail.
End of year statements are complete and accurate.
Maintains and monitors progress of project plan in order to stay on target.
Very fun place to work
Fishing Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Rogers, MNJanuary 4, 2017
Management is very lacking, and is not helpful in many situations. The staff, however, is very friendly and works great together. All team players and everyone gets along for the most part.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Awful Management
Nice coworkers and customers
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 4, 2017
I was a seasonal worker. You don't have a say about the schedule. Better pay than most retail jobs. Had some decent benefits. The management played favorites more about who you know and if management liked you. Didn't like that they wanted you to push the Cabelas credit card on the customers every time you had a chance.
great learning environment for a new skill
CLUB outfitter (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 3, 2017
it was an amazing Job I learned so many things, from credit cards to larger scale money handling to being almost completely self taught. the only issue is I was not properly trained and the management was not there to tell me where I had messed up or where I needed to improve. I was also promised 25 hours a week and never was scheduled for more than 18 hours
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
management and schedling
Fun place to work
Operations - Pricing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTDecember 31, 2016
I'm able to get my job functions done and after that I work on merchandising and training new employees, that is what I really like to do. Management is easy to work with since they know of my extensive retail background and the benefits I bring.
Pros
Good employee discount
Cons
part time employees are just marginal workers
If you want a job to sign people up for credit cards this is the place for you!
Outfitter Backend (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 28, 2016
All about the bottom line and how many credit cards you can get people to sign up for. They will preach credit card lines to use on customers so much that it makes you want to vomit. Poor management decisions create more work for the employees, they manage from the office but have no clue about best practices or what works well. No loyalty even though they talk about employees being family. Ok place to work if you fall into the leadership cliques but horrible if you don't like 90% of employees.
Pros
I will let you know if I think of any
Cons
not a friendly atmosphere to work in
It's ok
camo outfitter (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WADecember 28, 2016
The job is fun in itself. The only issues I had was management. They are rude and don't take you seriously unless you do everything they tell you to do, when they tell you. They will use you and take credit for your work themselves. If you are proud of the work you have done they will act like its no big deal. They expect you to do every job in the store at once on top of handling customers. There is never enough coverage out on the floors when needed. Schedules bounce around a lot and get changed without notice. "Time off" sheets are always lost and forgotten about. I just liked talking with people that had the same interests and me and helping them find what they needed while they tell me personal stories. If management was different I would have stayed.
Pros
Customers
Simple, somewhat boring
Hunting Outfitter and guide wear personnel (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNDecember 28, 2016
The job was great for a younger outdoor enthusiast like myself. I enjoyed working here to begin because I learned how to fix most issues with bows and firearms.
Pros
Many employee appreciation days
Cons
Slow work pace and poor pay.
Good job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 27, 2016
This was a part time job while I was in school. This job gave me more customer service experience. The only reason, I left was due to me accepting a full time job.
Great customer service and a fun work enviornment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDDecember 26, 2016
Cabela's Provides you with outfitters who know what you maybe looking for from a new gun to camping and hunting equipment.
Pros
great employees, amazing customer service, and they work as a team.
Experience as an outfitter
Calls assisting Customers (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHDecember 22, 2016
Being apart of the Cabela's world was a nice place to work for. Everyone was welcoming and accepting. Didn't matter who you were. The only concern was how many staff were being scheduled at a time in the department I was working in. There should be at least two people working per shift. It was hard being the only one at times. Knowing I was working in my department, and there were different sections. It was hard to keep up when you had to do tasks, helping customers and and trying to keep the department looking decent. When sometimes me or be the only one scheduled or not enough people hired on. Pretty much my little synopsis of my personal experience at Cabela's.
Pros
Made sure breaks were reasonable
Cons
Discount percentages
Really fun place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCDecember 22, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Cabelas and enjoyed most everyone I had the opportunity to work with. Managements is hit or miss but for the most part its management like any other retail store.
Pros
pay, retirement, benefits
Cons
long hours, constantly changing ideas no set rules.
Positive Work Environment,
Teacher of Fly Tying Class in Winter (Former Employee) –  Richfield, WIDecember 22, 2016
Enjoyable retail setting to work at with a busy fast paced atmosphere which will keep one interested and excited to participate.
Pros
Cabelas Points
Cons
Recently company was sold to larger company Bass Pro Shops
Over worked and truly under paid. Company relies greatly on employee discounts to obtain workers.
Seasonal Part time Hunting Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 21, 2016
I worked as a seasonal and quickly made friends with co-workers and customers alike. I studied and utilized resources to learn product knowledge. I was able to articulate words well with customers and co-workers alike. Unfortunately, there is a tight nit clique of managers and leads that have poor communication and high expectations. The imposed stress, poor communication and low pay led to lack of desire to be there and pick up the slack. If you can shed the drama and still show up ready every day then you might pass the evaluation to became someone other than a seasonal employee even if you don't know what you're doing. Just being there is what they project they want most, per my evaluation feedback which I received.
Pros
Employee discounts and training.
Cons
Low pay and non-stop work.
Great Company
Boat Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCDecember 15, 2016
It was a great company. Benefits where great, people, atmosphere, and all. Untrained management and the sale to another company and pay changes are the only reason I left
Great place to work - just ready for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXDecember 12, 2016
Started as tractor sales and enjoyed the customers but now they are doing away with my department- I would like to find something that is closer to home and family
Pros
Great benefits great job
Cons
Work holidays and Black Friday is crazy
It's a great place to be with your family. Atmosphere is awesome!
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 10, 2016
A day at work for me, is just standing at a cash register. It can get pretty boring, when we are slow, and when we are busy it's ridiculous how much we have to get done. I learn new stuff everyday, how to help customers more and more, and how to handle different situations. The hardest part of the job, is trying to keep busy when not busy. I enjoy interacting with new customers everyday, and helping them along the way!
Pros
Free lunches on Saturdays.
Cons
Hours, and days required to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.