Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Fun co-workers, terrible management
DC Associate (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIMarch 30, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers. The management has to be the worst part of the job. I learned a lot there in 6 years and had a lot of fun.
Process Engineer Cont Srvc Imp Lead (Current Employee) –  Sidney, NEMarch 29, 2016
Cabela's is a good place to work. They believe in work/life balance and support their employees. The opportunity to work with and for interesting people is great. Overall a great company.
Pros
Flexible vacation, Work/Life balance is real
Cons
Frequent restructuring and change
eh
Sr. Copywriter (Current Employee) –  Sidney, NEMarch 27, 2016
its ok. pays pretty well but the culture is lacking currently due to downsizing and a potential looming takeover. Town is really boring.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Human Resources Manager/HR Field Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the jon is all the outfitters I work with. It is a fun atmosphere and Cabela's truly cares about the people who work here.
Loved Working for them
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMarch 24, 2016
an Excellent Company to work for no matter where. A Company that actually cares for employees and gives many opportunity to advance and change fields.
Pros
Advansments Pay about everything
Cons
have sometimes seasonal cutbacks and no work from home opertunitys
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 23, 2016
Cabela's is a great place to work. Work/life balance was good. Compensation was not all that great. Not much room for advancement at all especially since Corporate continually cuts jobs.
Pros
Abilily to 'test' products
Cons
Upper management is immature and is only out for themselves
not the best place to work
fishing outfitter (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 23, 2016
the other employees like to pawn the work onto the new guy and likes to circle jerk in the corner while you work your butt off and get yelled at by the upper management becuae its not gettign done fast enough
General Outdoors Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Dundee, MIMarch 23, 2016
Fast paced retail work place with great associates to work with. The management team is awesome to work with too. The customers and outfitters are passionate about the outdoors.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEMarch 20, 2016
A typical workday varied from day to day and Management needs. Some days you would spend the entire day in meetings if your manager was out of the office. Then there were also days where you were spending all day filing.
typical day
HR Administrator and scheduling specialist (Current Employee) –  Acworth, GAMarch 18, 2016
I provide employee status to the managers early in the morning.This is mostly call outs. This is kept on a spreadsheet, throughout the day and includes the reason for the call out, this part is kept confidential.

Approximately at 3pm in the afternoon, I provide the next days Daily Schedule of the shifts for each department and each outfitter. This gives the management team time to make adjustments if needed.

Throughout the day I input employee shift swaps, edits, time off requests, and enter vacation times. I distribute weekly system generated schedules to management and keep three weeks of schedules posted for the employees, Enter weekly sales forecasts that generate the afore mentioned schedules. Order office supplies weekly and deliver to the correct department. Take morning meeting notes and distribute via email and printed copies as directed. Responsible for employee door entrance badges- that they work and are accounted for.

Report of outstanding courses that need to be completed by employees, and manually enter completion of some of those courses. LMS software is Success Factors by SAP.

Conduct recruiting, schedule training classes, and confirm all new hire paperwork is entered into our system, separated, filed, and sent to the correct corporate office.

Travel to new stores if requested to train a new human resources employee.

Assist the Human Resources Manager and the General Manager as requested.
Pros
Always something to do, fun work environment, great boss
Cons
no advancement
Good ol Cabela's
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS 66111March 16, 2016
I worked with this company for 12 years and I got to do a lot of things and go a lot of places that I would otherwise not been able to do.
Things at the company changed and the work load that everyone was having to do was more than what one person should have to do.
Pros
a fun place to be, i traveled a great deal
Cons
not the "family" company it once was
Great place to work, hard work though
Camping Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 15, 2016
I like the job, I like some of the people I work with and I love dealing with different customers each day. In my store I don't feel like there is an availability to move up: there are favorites and it is apparent. Also I signed up for the health benefits as a part timer and got screwed so don't do that.
Pros
new customers everyday, new products to learn and play with, always something new to learn
Cons
healthcare for part timers isn't worth it, favorites are picked, some managers walk around and act like they own the place, not all coworkers do what they can to help customer
Amazing company
Project/Portfolio Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEMarch 14, 2016
Cabela's is a growing retail company with a loyal customer base. The company is very supportive of its employees and work/life balance. Management has an open-door policy and was very accessible. My co-workers were the best part of the day. I was blessed to work with a smart, talented group that challenged me every day.
every day was different!
Camping Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COMarch 12, 2016
Very good place to work at. Never a dull moment with fellow coworkers no matter the age gap. hardest part was being on my feet a lot. recommend good shoes.
Pros
fun staff to work with
Cons
on your feet a lot
Good if you enjoy retail
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 12, 2016
Not my favorite place to work at. It works for those that enjoy talking to every single customer and running up and down stairs to retrieve shoes for them. My co-workers were great and my management was ok, but the hardest part was standing in the same place waiting for customers or having angry customers.
Great customers and you get time to get to know them.
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 11, 2016
Cabela's goals are "Legandary Service to each and every customer". This is one of the few retail places that wants you to take your time with each customer to make sure that they are completely prepared for what ever outdoor adventure they have planned. This was a truly different environment from other retail stores that want you to give great service but get them in and out. Unfortunately it appears that the bean counters are starting to win out over the true "Legendary Service" as staffing has been steadily reduced which in turn has started driving other customers away because we did not always have enough staff to handle the customer flow.
Pay was above standard based somewhat on your experience level with the outdoors or the department specialty.
Store is run with 90% part time due to Obama care. This has detracted from what it used to be. Very difficult to get full time hours.
Pros
Great service expectations
Cons
Understaffed and difficult to get full time hours
Interesting place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 10, 2016
The company is completely based on being family owned but when it came to my family needing me they were not willing to work with me. When I had to have surgery they did not want to give me the time off.
Poor management; CLUB in decline
Full time. Exempt staff (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 10, 2016
Overall the people were great but middle management is poorly trained, refuse to be flexible or recognize the front line staff needs and stress is really high with constant change and instability.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Stability it questions, poor middle management
It's Aight
Retail Sales Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCMarch 10, 2016
The job is ok. I enjoy working with my co workers. Management is very flaky, customers..........N-C. Hardest part is covering 3 depts being the sole person there.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Can't say
Great working environment.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTMarch 9, 2016
My co-workers are a blast to work with. I was able to utilize my skills from previous jobs. Nobody stabs anybody in the back, unlike some of my previous jobs. All in all its one of the best jobs I've had.
Pros
Free lunches, wiling to work with your schedules, great employees.
Cons
part time gets no health benefits