Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace.
Vendor Performance Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEFebruary 16, 2016
Cabela's is a great place to learn about all sectors or retail/online sales.

Cabela's is a major retailer and there is always room to grow,
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Unorganized
Awesome people to talk to everyday.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 15, 2016
When it is busy the day goes by really fast, the biggest plus of working for cabelas is the most interesting people that you get to talk to when they come in. They don't need to be there but they come there because they want to! That makes it that much more fun.
Cables
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 14, 2016
We are on a stock picker. we pull Product to be stocked or shipped. We work a 12 hrs shift. Got to be able to work long hrs with short brakes and keep an high rate
Pros
love the heavy labor work
Cons
more hrs and pay
An excellent company to kickstart a career
Inventory Control Lead (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 8, 2016
Cabela's works hard to develop and produce the next generation of management. They offered in store development and training to aide me in becoming a better manager.
Pros
Dedicated, understanding management
Cons
limited opportunities for promotion when wanting to stay in state
Horrible Management
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 8, 2016
Outfitters are "okay" but a lot of gossip and back biting, management is horrible. Managers are for themselves only and don't belittle themselves to talk with hourly outfitters, no positive feedback EVER. Discount is so/so, pay is mediocre. Rapid changes with the business that are not fully thought out, probably a knee jerk reaction to being sold to Bass Pro.
Pros
discount
Cons
management
Great company
Customer service Lead (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXFebruary 5, 2016
Fun to work for, great people. I've worked for several retail companies, and they are by far the most fun and work as a team the best.
good retail and warehouse experience
Camping Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORFebruary 5, 2016
fun job ,temporary/seasonal would have liked it to be full time , still a pleasant experience overall ,rules about parking are very strict ,sometimes parking miles away from store
Pros
employee discount
Cons
some slow time where you needed to look for things to stay busy
it was a nice place to work at
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIFebruary 4, 2016
they treated you like family it was fun to work there I like the people. There was a lot to learn and to do. it was a nice place to work and a fun place
Productive fun workplace
Gun Library Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIFebruary 4, 2016
I enjoy working for them. The atmosphere is great. I enjoy researching and purchasing used firearms.

I also purchase guns off site and that is enjoyable.
The Best place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOFebruary 4, 2016
I appreciate morning recognition, outings, free food offered during certain times, and the truly authentic co workers!
Pros
Fudge, peanuts, co workers
Cons
Save yourself the stress do NOT work here
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 29, 2016
I'll be honest when I first started working here I loved it but that quickly faded as time went on. The coworkers I work closely with are the only reason I still work here, if it wasn't for them I would've quit months ago. That being said the managers are rude. Some managers use their job title to talk down on outfitters like they're less than them. All they do is want you to push credit cards to customers (and they remind you multiple times throughout the hour) who OBVIOUSLY do not want one. The managers also want you to sell fun but want the outfitters to be miserable in the process. I've had multiple conversations about management scheduling me outside of my availability but they don't care. If you don't show up there is a penalty even if you are not available at that time. Job life/ Social life balance=ridiculous. I didn't know what a social life was until I changed my availability to only being able to work one weekend day (best decision ever). Some of the customers are very rude but that is expected with a retail job. Maintenance doesn't do their job, so the managers tell the outfitters to pick up their slack (I don't get paid enough to do that). We get paid $10/hour which is good but is that enough when you have to deal with so much stress? The employee discount is okay but if the sale item is better than the employee discount we pay the same price as the customer :(

A typical work day consist of me sizing and folding the clothing department only to watch a customer unfold all your hard work. And constantly going to the registers for a price check because Cabela's
  more... does not understand that you cannot put a sale sign for only one item on a rack full of multiple items.  less
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Managers, Maintenance, Discount, Scheduling issues
Nice people but not organized
Cash Office/ Store Operator (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 29, 2016
I spent entire days stationed in the break room, listening to other employees complain all day. I was the phone operator and for some reason, they put us there. The management, for the most part, were nice, and all but 2 of them goofed off constantly, just hanging out in the office in stead of helping the staff who were mostly part time. Pay was a joke. Cabela's should be better at technology considering their online store, but they really aren't very good at managing a brick and mortar.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Boring job and managers act like children
Do Not Work Here
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIJanuary 22, 2016
Management is terrible and you will be watched and interrogated about everything you do. Human Resources looks out for the managers instead of the hourly employees and will throw anyone under the bus to save themselves. They will ask you to do more and more with less time and reprimand you when you cannot complete all your work. The pay is horrible for what most jobs entail. The only reason I stayed for so long was because of my decent hours I couldn't get anywhere else.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
A dying company
retail sales (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Stick a fork in her, she is done! The management does not care about the "outfitters" unless they can help their bonus. The discount and the other employees are about the only good things that remain of a once proud company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Terrible managment
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, PAJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day would be providing the best customer service possible. I learned how to use equipment that Cabeals used. My Co-workers and I became more like family as time went on and I am still in contact with most of them. Hardest part about the job is trying to convince people to apply for the credit cards and the most enjoyable part of the job is making sure everyone in my line went home with a smile on their faces.
Cons
when we were busy you got no breaks
Decent steady job, outgoing employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 11, 2016
Some days are extremely busy and exhausting, others are boring and slow. I learned some sales strategies. The managers are wonderful and understanding, some of the leads not so much. Most of my co-workers are great, friendly, and easy to talk to or ask for help. The hardest part of the job is given a directive and told otherwise by another manager, as well as the hours differ weekly. The most enjoyable part is hearing stories from customers, and that dogs are allowed in the store.
Pros
free food occasionally, awesome coworkers, 401k.
Cons
short breaks, different shift each day, stressful job.
Worst management team I have ever worked with
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 11, 2016
I went to work for Cabelas before the new store opening in Huntsville, AL. Some co-workers had the insight to know that all the hype and build-up by the management team would not last. One co-worker said he didn't know it would happen as fast as it did. The seasonal workers were all let go before the holiday season even started! This store has the most incompetent management team I have ever seen.
good place to work
NICS OUTFITTER (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHJanuary 9, 2016
Typically I would perform background checks on customers purchasing firearms. I also run a register and give legendary customer service. I have crossed trained in the store to be able to work the gun counter and the gun library. In retail the more you can do the better for the company. I also crossed trained to work in camping, shoes, and the fishing dept. With that being said I usually get scheduled to work one area but end up working at least three different one within an 8 hour period.
Pros
most of the employees want to be there so it makes for a great job
Cons
depending on the time of year it can be very fast pace which results in no lunches or breaks.
Fun environment
Catalog Filler (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIJanuary 4, 2016
While working here yiu are allowed to joke around as long as your work is being done. High expectations however getting a full time position is hard unless you know someone that can pull strings.
Pros
8-12 hours straight
Cons
two 20 minute breaks, an extra 10 minutes if you work 10 hours
Fun Job
Gun Sales (Current Employee) –  Rogers, MNJanuary 1, 2016
It's a Great atmosphere for work, with great management team, that has great hours for P.T. work with decent discount levels.
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Breaks if staffed enough that day