Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Has it's positives and negatives
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 28, 2015
the company has some very good and very bad policies. It can be a lot of fun working here. Don't always get the support you need to succeed
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
lack of support
Terrible Management
Club Card Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Verdi, NVDecember 25, 2015
The co-workers are amazing and will be the best part of the job. They are pretty flexible with your work schedule so great work for students. Pay is decent! Management is awful. Actually the reason why I discontinued employment. The employee discount is decent. It is not fun working for a big corporation.
Pros
Discount, Pay, Co-workers
Cons
Management, Large Corporation
Fun
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEDecember 22, 2015
Lacked organization. However, very good place in how to learn about public relations and working with the public I worked as a firearm inspector.
Pros
Great experience with learning public relations
Cons
lacked organization
Okay place to work
outfitter (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 21, 2015
I started with Cabela's before it opened in Huntsville, AL with full intention of moving up in the company. The store opened on September 31, 2015 and over half of the seasonal employees were let go within a month of the store opening to the public. The management of the store started going downhill then. They were constantly changing schedules (most of which was for that day) and were notifying half of the people of shift changes. The other half wouldn't show up because they weren't aware and would be given a strike for no call no show. I was let go in a mass reduction and was told to reapply once some positions opened up. To be completely honest, some of the management were rude to the outfitters. I even had an incident with the public relations employee belittling me in front of many of my coworkers. I loved my coworkers and the job, but I will never work there again because of how unprofessional management is.
Pros
good customer service experience
Cons
bad management, schedule constantly changing
Enjoyable Work Environment
Sales Associate, Optics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 13, 2015
As an optics specialist, I learned a lot, built many customer relationships and developed sales skills. Biggest drawback was inflexible scheduling.
Cabela'
Outdoor Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZDecember 8, 2015
I have worked at Cabela's for about 6 yeas in all aspects of the outdoors. Teaching Field Courses a well as on and off site events. The team is too much fun and understands the importance of reaching out.
Pros
As for myself, insurance, vaction time
fun but stressful
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 6, 2015
Generally a fun company to work for, especially if you love the outdoors. Advancement is not very easy unless you have an "in" with the management.
Pros
good discount and benefits for full-time people
Cons
part-time people treated better than the full time people, advancement with in the company difficult
A good company with a challanging corporate location
Senior Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee) –  Sidney, NEDecember 3, 2015
The remote location did not concern me too much until the need to specialized medical came up.... then it was three hours to help. I enjoyed the relaxed environment. Advancement was not existent in my division.
Pros
Relaxed Environment
Cons
Publicly traded company at the mercy of investors
40 hour work week
Systems Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCDecember 3, 2015
good working environment, great people, able to interface with all levels from top management down. able to train a great staff
It was a great company to work for.
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 2, 2015
Cabelas was a great place to work for, I moved all across the country for them. I managed up to 220 employees at a time. I built a lot of great relationships during this time. The toughest part of my job was getting things from our corporate office to run our business the way we needed.
product discount and ok pay
outfitter (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 24, 2015
other than the hours being cut an ok job but hard to advance and the leads think the own you from what ive heard they dont like working around other jobs
Pros
dicount
Cons
everyone has an attitude
Great company
SR Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Sidney, NE and DenverNovember 20, 2015
Cabela's is a great company with a great history. Not bad working for a company whose sole purpose is to provide products so that their customers can enjoy the great outdoors and the lifestyle that many of them pursue.
Pros
Great discounts on their products, generous bonus program
Cons
Gong through a rough patch now, but still a company worth looking at
pretty fun place to work
Gifts Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 19, 2015
Cabelas was my first retail job and working in gifts was so fun! I learned how to make fudge and the little cone bags of nuts. I sold jewelry and watches there as well. There were plenty of chances to earn better pay with the cabelas card, cxps, and kiosk orders. Sadly my managers werent the best and that kind of made it a not so fun place to work, but other employees rocked,
Pros
good pay, fun, comission
Cons
to many to say
footwear associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 17, 2015
The Managers at Cabelas were all very nice and wanted what was best for you. They would help you whenever you needed it and always wanted the customers happy.
Great, but hardly any internal movement upwards.
Warehouse Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TxNovember 13, 2015
It's a great place to work for, but its not some place for career growth. At work I restocked shelves, made sure the back inventory was in order, and cleaning the back at the end of the night.
Pros
Free lunch the day before pay day, random free lunches
Cons
Not a lot of full time positions
Learned all areas of different departments and stayed busy at all times. Great place to work,
Filler and Sorter (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WINovember 13, 2015
Learned all different areas jobs and stayed very busy at all times. I enjoyed working with all the employees and managers.
Pros
Good Pay and stay busy.
Great company
Hunting Manager (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MONovember 12, 2015
Nice place to work. Mostly fun place with lots of activities. Lots of competition and customers are very loyal. Lots of contests to win prizes.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
pay lower than expected. no commission
meh.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 11, 2015
It's okay, my only complaint is that the open availability policy is bogus. They are flexible in the schedules but when it comes to wanting more hours or wanting to make up for lost hours because you were sick, it is impossible.
Basic job, not your basic store
Camo Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXNovember 10, 2015
Cabelas is too big of a store to truly care about each and every individual they hire. However, within my department I loved going to work. Being a Camo Outfitter was a blast and helping the customers was so much fun. You have to love the outdoors to work there though or you'll hate your time spent there.
We had a very productive team
Receiving backend (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WINovember 10, 2015
I have worked at multiple retail companies in my lifetime. Cabelas is by far the best one I worked for. When the correct people were in charge, every goal was accomplished.
Pros
Cons
Pay