Cafe Rio Mexican Grill Employee Reviews

utah 2 stores should have a no phone on shifts.
Sauce cook, prep, and runner. (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, UTFebruary 21, 2018
i did like my job, But not gitting more pay for cross traing for a gigger job titel and mamagment and workers so many of them tuch there phone and dont even change gloves. i didnt want to eat there anymore and had my limet of telling manager about phones and me telling co-workers come on wash your hands, so i walked out, im better then this.
Pros
half price food
Cons
over work you to do other jobs
Busy workplace with a good amount of workers to make it bearable.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 19, 2018
I learned more about being a cashier, the management was excellent with the 5 managers they had, a super busy location but the amount of workers made it so it wasn't bad at all. And lastly I really enjoyed the environment along with everyone working there.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Commute Time for me.
Just a basic job
Dish/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 7, 2018
A typical day isn't that exciting as a dishwasher. You just wash dishes and occasionally cook meat for 6 hours and then go home. Free food is nice and the dishwasher gets to play his own music in the back, but its very boring and you're on your feet the whole time. You get paid though, so that's nice.
Pros
Free food, Music
Cons
Lots of diverse tasks without a clear rule book to look to
Horrible communication
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTFebruary 6, 2018
I worked at various locations and they were all the same. They all had really poor management, not good at scheduling shifts. Area coaches and General managers would promise a raise, career growth, and better management over all. But they never fulfilled their Promises.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Always stressed, lots of angry customers
It has a fun atmosphere
cashier (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 6, 2018
In the morning after clocking in, and looking at the prep sheet. The food preparations begin.

It's fun when music is playing as we work. It helps with the everyone's moods and gets the day started on the right foot.

It can be tough especially since we only have a couple of hours to get everything done, but we work together to make sure we have everything ready.

Some challenges we face are when we have multiple catering orders at the same time. Decisions are made on who takes them and sometimes we have to call in for help delivering them.

This is the most challenging part of the job, especially when we get called in another catering order.

The enjoyable part is when we interact with the costumers and build relationships with them.
Pros
50% of meals
Cons
being short staffed on a busy day
Great Food bad support
manager (Former Employee) –  UtahFebruary 2, 2018
When store needed staffing support non was ever given. Making and serving amazing food was rewarding. Training programs are in place but not followed. Learn by trial by fire and fill out training materials on your own time. Asked to support other stores with promised rewards that were never given leaving employees feeling cheated.
Pros
always needs managers
Cons
can't keep managers
Fun
Restaurant Opener (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 27, 2018
Loved it, every day was an interesting and fun place to work. Management was really responsible and easy to work with. The atmosphere was laid back yet productive.
poor hours
Kitchen Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 21, 2018
I really liked the job and the people I worked with but there were so many people hired that I did not receive enough hours. The managers wanted me to stay, but I had to quit because I was not making enough money since I was only working 4-5 days a week and 3-4 hours a day.
Fun coworkers, miserable environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 19, 2018
Working fast paced food service jobs wasn't exactly my forte. We could never seem to move fast enough, and we were constantly doing things either out of company policy or our job description. Very disorganized management.
Pros
Free amazing mexican food
Cons
short breaks, always under a lot of pressure
Fun and fast pased work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTJanuary 18, 2018
I usually open the To-go station when I first get there placing all the warmed up meats and sauces as well as rice and beans in the warm station and all the cold foods in the cold table. When the orders start coming in I put them together and bag them. Management usually runs around the store helping anyone that needs them. the hardest part of the job is understanding the Spanish speaking employees and when it gets super busy its difficult to keep up. the most enjoyable is being able to say you finished all the orders in a timely fashion.
Pros
Free lunch, cool co workers
Cons
Benifits, hours
Horrible
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Stockton, caJanuary 12, 2018
I worked there for a very short time, and the experience was horrible. All the manager's and staff did was talk about other staff and managers. I got cut hours down to one day, and MAYBE 3 hours. I had to quit because that's one day a week, and won't pay bills.
Pros
Freah food
Cons
Childish managers and not enough hours.
Minimalistic
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 8, 2018
It’s a good job if you’re willing to work hard. But mostly staff is over worked with lots of call outs and a failing management system. The people are great but sometimes they can be on the sketchy side
Pros
Most likely free food
Cons
Usually busy and customers can be quite picky
Dishwashing, food prep, grill meats and take care of trash.
dish washer,Food prep (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 4, 2018
I would come to work clock in and start by taking out the trash and then i would begin to clean and sort dishes after that i would go and check all the meats on the line and i they were low i would put either beef or chicken in the grill i would cook the chicken breast for 35 minutes on each side then cut it into thin strips then i would cook the beef for 10 minutes on each side then cut into thin strips ad stock the line. for other food prep i would peel tomatillo and put them in the walk in for the next day.i learned how to work in a very fast paced environment in a very productive way. the work culture was honestly great i have never worked in a place that was so great to their employees. the hardest part of my job was having to do all of my responsibilities when i knew i honestly didnt have enough time at the moment to do it so i would fall extremely far behind because of the things i had to do. the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to completely free myself of reality while working i would just turn on my music and jam out while responsibly getting my job done.
Pros
free lunch, free soda, great coworkers
Cons
hard work, long days and stressful at times
Easy work friendly people
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTDecember 29, 2017
I worked as a dishwasher for the time I was there. It was a pretty easy job. Very laid back job fun people. Sometimes the work got busy but it wasn't a stressful job.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 14, 2017
Management was jumbled and all over the place, there were the few decent good ones, but the head manager was too anxious for his own good. Maybe he should try pursuing a different career.
the worst
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 13, 2017
It felt like two of the managers had a personal vendetta against me. I felt very untrained, because everything was so disorganized coustumers would yell at me all the time.
Great Customer Interaction
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDDecember 6, 2017
I loved going into work because of our customers. It was a great way to interact with people. One night a week we had a group of police men come in to eat late at night. They were my favorite customers.
Pros
Customer Interaction
Cons
Scheduling
na
Line cook/ Busboy/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 28, 2017
It was a fast paced environment. learned to be patient, detailed, attentive, intuitive. I enjoyed working there, the people were nice, and i kept busy. There is always better managers than others.
stressful job with poor managment
Floor associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, CONovember 25, 2017
do not apply here its not worth it, management did not communicate with each other at all making the store run horribly and the company did nothing about certain issues.
Productive And Fast Paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  4680 S Maryland Pkwy Las Vegas, NVNovember 9, 2017
The morning shifts would always be in a rush and it got crazy when people called in. Most of the time I had to do two shifts and cover other positions.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No vacations and sometimes no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

Personal Development
1.9

Career Opportunities

Family Support
2.6

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight