Cafe Zupas Employee Reviews

Not the best.
Line (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTNovember 10, 2016
Upas used to be a fun and up beat restaurant with really good food. Working their was like working at home with all of your best friends. Unfortunately it is not like that anymore. Upas has changed a lot and is not what it used to be at all. Management has become very hard to work with and is not very helpful. The fun atmosphere has been traded in for a middle class soup and salad restaurant that you can find just about anywhere else.
Pros
Great food.
Cons
Always moving, great people, fun job. Is fast paced and can be stressful.
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  West Jordan, UTNovember 21, 2016
You will absolutely love the people you work for and with, it is a great work place. They are patient and will help refine and develop skills. It is very fast paced, and can be stressful, but really helps you multi task. There is a lot of room for growth, good opportunities. Management is really great, and friendly. You will always be heard.
Cons
short breaks, and no health benifits.
Fast paced
Line Server (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTAugust 30, 2016
A typical day at Zupas is taking the first hour of the day setting up for the next three hours of NONSTOP customers. They have very specific specifications for their foods, which isn't a problem and is very easy to follow. You are able to get as many hours as you want, as long as you can find someone to give up their own, or if another location is in need of workers (All locations are built identically, meaning you'll always know what you're doing.) I'm told that raises are available quarterly, but didn't work there long enough to know. Also, all coworkers are typically very young. Management was decent. Hardest part would be not letting the back up or orders confuse you.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
Forced smiling.
Fast paced job with room to progress.
Utility (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work begins at 8a-3/4p tasks are outlined via checklist for efficiency. Workload is dependent on projected sales for the day. Most back-of-house staff (Prep cook, dishwasher, soup maker) do not get a break in a 7/8 hour shift; while line servers typically do after the lunch rush. Management is fine, however you will be constantly micro-managed. Management does encourage cross-training - as it makes you a flexible employee. P/T positions are paid via check, while management is paid via Direct Deposit.
Pros
Very efficient workplace, checklists to keep you on task, cross-training encouraged
Cons
No breaks, micro-management, no Direct deposit for P/T employees.
Fast, Friendly, Fun
Server (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 2, 2016
I loved working at Cafe Zupas. It was my first job in college. They have great shifts for line servers that are 4 hours long and the schedule is always set. Great atmosphere, good managers, awesome discount on delicious food too! The pay was low, but they are willing to give you raises if you ask and have legitimate reasons and good history with attendance and performance.
Pros
set schedule, flexible with schedule
Cons
Slow to advance into upward ranks, low pay
Great Strawberries!
Line Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTJuly 2, 2016
Café Zupas was not a fun place to work. The managers would see only what you are bad at, and never give you a chance to improve yourself in those areas. Instead, they would put you in places that they found to be the easiest. Having scoliosis, lifting can be rough, so after being deemed unfit to actually work anything other than the salad station or the line greeter, I then got put on the lobby duties. It wasn't entirely bad, besides the fact that I am not allowed to carry or lift heavy items due to my scoliosis. I tried talking to my manager about it, but there was no discussion. Many places move up based on favorites, not who does the hardest work, and Café Zupas is one of those places.
Pros
50% off, Got to wear jeans, Free smells
Cons
Employee disocunt only 30 mins before or after shift, Management, Scratchy shirts
Productive and fun workplace
Operating Partner/General Manager (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZDecember 1, 2016
I love my job! It has been an amazing 4 years to this point and I really look forward to the challenges each day presents. I also have the opportunity to teach and develop other employees.
Productive and Good Environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTAugust 15, 2016
The management was amazing, I truly felt cared for. Everything is pretty straight forward, it would help if you were self driven and liked talking to people and had positive energy.
Pros
Half priced meals before of after shift
Cons
No breaks
my opinion of their restaurant
customer for now (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 13, 2016
they seem nice and caring and friendly to all staff/ team member's and who wouldn't want to work here its amazing i would it here everyday to be honest i advise you to eat here its the best
Pros
free lunches friendly caring nice
Productive and friendly environment
Line server (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 7, 2016
We have openers and closers and I am an opener/daytime employee. Openers prepare for the morning shift by prepping food and making sure the line is ready for guests. We usually have a long lunch rush for about an hour or so. Then there is midday cleaning and prepping, which is getting the line ready for the PM people. I learned how important multitasking is and being able to learn things fast at this job. The managers are great and very supportive, and are very helpful when you want to know something. Yes, some are friendlier than others, but they are very professional and comfortable to be around. The main manager is very flexible about days off and your availability and she always tries to give you the hours you want/deserve. It is a fun and pleasant environment to be in, my co-workers are friendly and funny and they were so helpful to me when I was training as a line server.
Pros
50% off meals, nice people
Cons
Short breaks, not a lot of benefits, can sometimes become stressful because it requires a lot of multitasking
My favorite job so far.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 25, 2016
Best part of my day is just talking with my coworkers. Everyone on the management team is awesome and we love helping our line servers succeed.
Pros
Half off employee meal. Flexible schedule.
Underpaid but fun job
Line Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTNovember 26, 2016
Raise is hard to get, you have to fill out stacks of paperwork for a .25 cent raise.
Management is pretty good working around your schedule.
Attendance policy is good.
excellent work environment
Line worker and dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 13, 2016
though it had poor management, and no strive for customer service, the people were excellent and food was good. I would definitely recommend working here
Pros
discount food
Cons
no breaks, if any. constantly stressful, degrading management
fun work place
Line Server (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 22, 2016
Zupas is a great company to work for. They really take the time to get to know each and everyone of there employees. Management is great and made the job very enjoyable
The WORST place to work
Culinary Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 4, 2016
Management doesn't care about the employees, they only care about things being done "their way". If you don't buy in, they fire you or threaten you. Training is a joke for managers and people are constantly reminded they can be replaced if they don't follow the rules exactly. Slap on a smile and be as fake as spray tan and you'll go far. Have a mind of your own and think outside the box and you will be beaten into submission or removed. Zupas does not allow for things to be done in any other way than their way. Don't you dare stack the dressing cups past the line on the dressing bottle or put soup cups above the top of the dessert case. You will be talked down to, told you're stupid, and be forced to do it again.
Pros
Free food for managers when you were given time to eat
Cons
Lack of leadership, training, care, and ability to change
High stress environment, Horrible Management, Lack of honor on commitments
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTApril 25, 2016
I worked as a line server for Cafe Zupas for 8 months. After the first two months I told my manager I would like to get on the pathway to become a shiftlead. For the next couple months I was told "you're almost there!" And I was fed plenty of lies. I sat down with my manager several times to make a list of what I could do and created a timeline for myself. I did everything and more. I was told "By the end of this month we will start your training." It was the end of the month and I reminded my manager. After that there was a couple more excuses as to why we hadn't started training yet. For the next month I was strung along and I was finally fed up with all of the empty promises they told me and quit. People don't leave jobs they leave managers.
Managers: stop making excuse about your turnover rate and pay attention to your employees.
Pros
50% off employee meals
Cons
Short breaks, Toxic environment
Busy, stressful, but always enjoyable.
Line Server (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 17, 2016
Cafe Zupas has taught me how to handle stressful situations so easily. I also have become a lot more organized so that nothing is done twice and so everything is in the right place.
Pros
Always feeling welcomed
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and Fun work place
hostess (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 8, 2016
Fun, Fast friendly environment to work in. Employees and management were great. Well trained. Great Food. Got along with everybody. Great Customer service.
awful place to work dont apply here
catering (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 9, 2016
this is a terrible company. its not a very good work environment. you dont really have room to succeed. they constantly change managers and they dont know what theyre doing.
Very supportive in what you want to do
Catering Driver (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 2, 2016
It was a fantastic place to work, it taught me the importance of excellent customer service along with managing under pressure.
Pros
Can work around your schedule
Cons
Fast turn over rate for management