Caleres Inc. Employee Reviews

Make sure to make friends
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSMay 22, 2017
Worked for the company for about 3 years. Several different stores, total of 3 districts. Never made it past an assistant. If you're looking to grow with the company make sure to get in good with your immediate supervisors or you'll basically end up in a dead end job. Massive amounts of favoritism and turn over in most stores. Also they pay their non salary managers next to nothing for the work load and responsibilities. Would not recommend.
Pros
30% discount, travel reimbursement
Cons
Single coverage, lack of payroll, keyed management cannot leave store
Competitive Workplace needs work on promoting people of color
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 18, 2017
Nice working quarters and challenging work assignments with the tools to complete the assignments with excellence. Promotion practices seem to be more of favoritism than qualifications. Tough place for an African American person to be promoted or recognized; Need more diversity in senior managment
Pros
Work environment; cafeteria on site; freedom to be creative
Cons
Promotions of African Americans; unclear promotion structure which appears to be favortism at times
Great place
Sales Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
been at this company for 5 years. its a really fun place to work in. you meet new people all the time, build relationships, etc.
hardest part of the job is the long hours of standing on your feet, but with the company discount and some comfy formal/casual shoes, you're set!
theres always room for growth as well, one of the big key factors of the company.
Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kailua-Kona, HIMay 9, 2017
I have nothing but the outmost respect for the store manager and the 'team" that was selected to be a part of Famous. Their was no drama amongst anyone, as we all go about our day and do what we were hired to do.

It was one of the most fun loving job I ever had in my life time. No stress, common sense things.

Lots of support from the management team! gO FAMOUS!
Pros
Discounts, excellent management, great team, positive vibes
Cons
Minimal work hours - Great for students, retirees or someone that needs a little time away from home..like a break
Poor management
Full Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 1, 2017
Store manager plays favoritism. Very argumentative. One sided. High turn over employee rate. I have been with the company for 10 years mainly because of my availability. I was passed up for the store manager position and that is why it is time for me to leave.
Pros
Discounts at naturalizer and famous footwear
Cons
No hours for employees
Lots of perks
Demand Planning and Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 27, 2017
Caleres is a very enjoyable place to work. They do a lot for their employees and there are a lot of work perks. The advancement structure needs to be worked on.
Awesome Place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland Village, TXMarch 23, 2017
If you love retail this is the place to work.

Famous Footwear was my first job ever since high school and I loved it so much I stayed for 4 years.

The only reason I left was due to me needing more time at school and having to build my resume for accounting.
Great company and culture at Caleres
Senior Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 20, 2017
A typical day is collaborating cross functional and partnering with each team member. Solid management but a lot of turnover. Enjoyed meeting many great people on a daily basis.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Not much collaboration with HR on opporunities
Good place for a starter job, but not for career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2017
Worked there for over 10 years. The company asks too much from their management team, but not willing to give raises for performance or ever give 40 hours to "full-time" employees. If you're in school and looking for a part-time job, this is a great place. If you're looking for a career, this is a horrible place to work
Pros
30% discount, flexible scheduling
Cons
Hours, pay, career opportunities
Famous Footwear
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 12, 2017
This was a great retail company. helped provide all the tools you needed to succeed. Fun work environment and great employees to work with. Overall had a great experience.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 17, 2017
Great place to work. I have been here for 13 years and have moved up. Started as a sales associate and now a store manager. Flexible schedules
Pros
Health benefits, employee discount, flexible schedule
Cons
Work by yourself a lot, not enough time to get everything done when you work alone
Worst Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 2, 2017
This by far was the worst company I have ever worked for. District Managers say one thing when they come visit and turn around and say something different. Working towards sales goals like how many rewards you get and for accessories. Those were always the worst ever because people would get turned against one another and then the team your were working with would not trust each other.
Stay away from Famous
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 20, 2017
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. I have hated this job since day 1. Management is extremely unstructured. Communication is non-existent. Upper management are full of bullies. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company if you want to be happy in your workplace.
Pros
30% off shoes
Cons
Everything else
I hated this job!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Working at Famous Footwear was fun and exciting only my first day. All the other days that followed were annoying and aggravating. The managers are not as understanding as they look. They like to talk about people behind there backs. They are also rude (rolls eyes, huffs and puffs) and get annoyed everytime you ask a question. Also, they don't hold back when yelling at you for a mistake infront of the customers. My co-workers were the only good thing about this job, plus the 30% off of shoes. The things I hated about this job is that there is no hours (I went 2 weeks without working), the store is slow (not a lot of people come in) and we have no security. They expect us to do our jobs and also be security. This job is boring, all you do is fix boxes and walk around when its slow (which is all the time). Time goes by slow when working here. DON'T WORK HERE! IT'S NOT WORTH IT. WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY. THANK GOD I QUIT!!!!!
Pros
Co-Workers, 30% off of shoes
Cons
No security, immature managers, no hours
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 3, 2017
Caleres provided opportunity and work life balance. They were constantly changing to improve processes so flexibility is essential. the people were the best part of the job, supervisors were open and subordinates were sales driven and committed to success. Typical day was fast paced with a lot of people contact and teachable moments
hourly staff is great but forget about salary paid staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXDecember 30, 2016
Worked here for a year. Managers changed and my raise was forgotten. My last store manager was a brown noser who would turn her back on you to make herself look good to our dm. I met a lot of great people but I think corporate needs to work with district managers in finding better suited store managers. If you're looking for a full time assistant manager position you can forget about it with this company. At least I got a year of managerial experience from it.
Pros
Physically exciting work environment
Cons
Dramatic and unreliable store managers.
do not plan to stay
Management (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 4, 2016
If you accept a job plan to stay about 6 months anything more and you will find out all the reasons to leave.

If you kiss up to the DM you will be able to blame everyone else for things that go wrong.

Plan to work alone most of the time.
Pros
Cons
putting up with people who shouldn't have been promoted
Horrible Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manahawkin, NJOctober 27, 2016
I was hired as a sales associate and worked my up to management after a year of being there. I loved it! But, many of the managers that I had started with left for other opportunities, I was on my third store managers going into my second year of being there. There is a lot of drama that goes on within the management that is unnecessary. The environment that was created for my store at that point was extremely stressful so I left after being there for four years.

They expect a great deal out of their employees. We have to do everything, that includes cleaning the store, taking in the shipment, breaking the shipment, re-ranging the entire store to put shipment out, and pricing the store every single week. Most of the time we were short staffed because we didn't have enough hours to hire.

Be expected to work most nights and weekends, there is no flexibility with this job.

Everyone has the same responsibilities as one another. Part timers have to do the same amount of work as the full timers.

The only thing that made it worth it through the tough times was my co-workers.
Pros
Gain experience, Employee Discount
Cons
Poor Managment, Stressful Environment
Retail Store
Sales to Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 20, 2016
Retail environment. Worked alone a lot. Travel was required. Most of the employees and management was friendly & helpful. Hardest part was the long hours
I worked hard for this company
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 2, 2016
I worked hard for this company and even moved for them. Watch your back because they will stab you in the back. I want the past few years of my life back. I missed so much working so hard for this company to be released by a new District Manager who had only spent about 10 minutes with me.
Cons
Stores could use more payroll

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caleres Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9