Calico Corners Employee Reviews

fun place to work to design with customers
Design Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2017
love the opportunity to work with fabrics and design and interact with customers. need to know alot about sewing/construction to be prepared to properly put together quotes for clients
Pros
good work environment; laid back atmosphere
Cons
old outdated electronics and grubby store; needs overhaul. Low pay, no room for upward movement
fun and fast paced
Labor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 26, 2017
Each morning started with separating recons and processing the previous days orders. Sometimes this would take until lunch if the previous day was busy. After lunch I would contact work rooms with any concerns and then contact customers.
Cons
This a great place to work to learn how to sell and make custom product.
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 21, 2017
The typical day was working with clients walking through the door and familiarizing yourself with the product. Follow up with clients was also one the most beneficial ways to create sales.
I learned that standards throughout the company and training are very important.
Management was very organized and methodical.
The culture was corporate, and your sales where monitored closely.
The hardest part was often getting the sale closed, product was expensive but quality.
I loved the organization, consistent new product.
enjoyable job, but not a very good company to work for.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 20, 2017
Calico was a good place to work if you are okay with low pay, no
benefits and no room for growth.

I tried 3 times for a promotion, to no avail.
Associates had the same complaints when wanting to move up or around in their careers.

The company tends to hire wealthy women who desire to work as a hobby, in fact this tends to be the standard for the decorating industry.
Pros
pleasant job descriptions
Cons
no room for promotions
A normal day
Stock manger (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46250June 15, 2017
Calico Corners pics up speed based off of the season and what's in style the days can be short under a lot of work but pay off in the end, overall the experience is worth while.
Stressful environment
In Home Designer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MAMay 3, 2017
Depending on who the manage is at the time. It can be a very stressful work environment. They seem to pit there sales employees against each other. When I worked there the manager was a complete nightmare. She ruined employee morale and insulted customer, and with that said the company never did anything to replace her.
Not Recommended
Custom Product Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 10, 2017
They gave between 10 and 20 hrs a week but the work load was for a full time position. I wouldn't take breaks to try to compensate for the the amount of work. No benefits were offered, the manager sometimes called customers "Female Dogs" behind their backs. I was let go weeks after I had been verbally assured that I was doing a good job. It is a dead end company to work for. I know the manager was also frustrated with corporate so it's a trickle down effect and I would not advise anyone to view this as a serious long term career.
Cons
No hours
Fun and inspiring place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2017
I had a fun time working here. The pay was minimal but it was a job I had to pay college bills during school. I found it entertaining to be around beautiful fabrics all day and helping people realize their dream projects. I also enjoyed the fact to be constantly busy.
Excellent workplace in another realm of Interio Design
Interior Design Lead In-Home Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 27, 2017
I gained an incredible amount of knowledge in all facets of Interior Design: (ie: window coverings, installation, furnishings, etc.). The company was incredibly good to it's employees until it closed locally.
The glory days are behind
Assist in day (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJanuary 23, 2017
During it's prime im sure the company was great but since the economy has taken a slide, business is not the same. It was pretty much a slave driven job and I wouldn't recommended it to anyone.

Want to know more about Calico Corners?

Ask a question
hard work pays off
Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA , Metaire, La.September 23, 2016
I started out as an Operations Manager with Calico Corners.
I did a little bit of everything for my personal growth as well as being a team player for what ever was asked of me. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do in times of success and crisis. These experiences , good and bad, was vital to my growth professionally and personally.
Has ability to succeed due to lack of competition for custom treatments.
labor coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrington, ILJuly 13, 2016
Company hires personnel with no knowledge of industry, particularly store managers. HR and corporate powers that be also do not listen to employees about issues within the stores. They do not care at all about what goes on in stores and only cares about not having to make changes as that will be too much work. Sales are all that matters and profit is basically not looked at. Training is not even an issue with employees except with store managers and then everything is overlooked particularly when after 1 and 2 years they still do not know basics of the industry, not to mention how to follow Calico's guidelines in transactions as well as how to be a good manager. When and if a promotion comes, store managers are allowed to promote whomever they wish to, in spite of the employee's total lack of ability to perform the job. They do not care how many great people they lose due to these inept managers.
When told what untruths managers have told employees that caused them to leave, they will do nothing to change how managers treat people. It is pathetic. If an employee or manager cannot learn their job in 1 years time, why would they be thrilled to keep them on staff. Particularly when the store/company sales are completely declining?
Once they realize that the people that have been there and know the company and industry are more valuable than the managers that they put in charge of these people and listen to them and realize that they are the ones that care about Calico, they will be so far ahead of restoring this company to its true potential
Pros
Great potential to be an industry leader
Cons
Terrible communication, total lack of supporting the store employees as far as listening to their issues.
warehouseman
Assist in day (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJune 6, 2016
Worst place ever. Not enough pay everyone works a part time job to sustain living and the job does not pay enough. The supervisors and management do not appreciate their staff and over work the crew
Pros
there are none
Cons
alot
Great place to work!
Design Associate (Current Employee) –  Frontenac, MOMay 31, 2016
Due to the economy's ups and downs full time positions are not an easy thing to obtain. The environment is beautiful and we all work together building a great staff.
Never work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLMay 13, 2016
The absolute worse place to work. This company charged a lot of money for their product up front and paid their employees minimum wage and minimal commission. Awful place to work nasty and greedy employers.
Pros
30 percent off
Cons
Good hours for retail
Excellent Time at Calico Corners
Sales (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 27, 2016
Calico Corners was a terrific time. The management teams were very supportive and worked with me in every way, from scheduling to training to listening and support. Every day was challenging by the inventory and the customers. It was exhillering to see customers thrilled with the end product time and again. I always looked forward to new adventures everyday.
ok
Custom Product Coordinator/ Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Frontenac, MOJanuary 14, 2016
management was horrible but the crew was awesome! lovely work associates not great customers. workrooms were great when on track. bonuses were more important than the employees always.
Pros
everyone, customers a drag though
Cons
management
pleasant environment to work
In-home Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTOctober 18, 2015
Store has great support team for me to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously. Creating beautiful rooms with what company offers is just so easy.
Service oriented company with beautiful products. Good work/life balance. Not much room for advancement
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 5, 2015
Primary duty was to assist customers with their interior design projects, typically drapery, custom furniture. Many customers were "Do-it-yourself" , needing assistance with calculating yardages and choosing coordinating fabrics. Learned tremendous amount about drapery construction, furniture and fabric. Management and co-workers at store level were great. Appropriate and detailed training was provided.

Hardest part of job - calculating yardages on multiple projects.

Most enjoyable - working with quality materials and providing personalized service.

The only drawback was the limited opportunity to advance in a small company.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities
Overall fun place to work. Very high paced environment.
Custom Labor Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 2, 2015
The company has been around for so long the customers know what they are buying when they walk into the store so helping them with design is easy.
Pros
Great employee discounts
Cons
Sometimes breaks are cut short because the store is so busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calico Corners. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7