California's Great America Employee Reviews

a typical day
Tolls (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 12, 2017
a typical day at work is to clock in, report to work, listen to summary of the day, get encouragement from supervisor, start work, greet guests, clean as necessary.
Pros
get timely breaks
Fun
Foods Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 10, 2017
It was my very first job as a teenager. Definitely enjoyed my time working there and all the people that i met made it worth spending my summer working in an amusement park.
fun first job
Character Escort, Performer & Show Host (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 18, 2017
Working here was nice because of the laid-back environment. That said, it was laid back because most of the employees were under 25. Unfortunately, with the "laid-backness" came immaturity.
long hours, little pay
Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 14, 2017
had to work overtime when we were allowed to, pay did not seem fair with how much you had to work, was very fasted paced when it came to weekends and holidays
Pros
discount
Cons
no breaks, short lunch
Fast Food Associate in Amusment Park
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 11, 2017
Cashier for multiple fast food service stands. I learned how to become a cashier since it was my first job. I learned where everything was in the theme park.
Fast pace and ever changing environment.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 15, 2017
Working in a amusement park has its ups and downs when you truly take a moment to stop and think about how the day can go, You have to constantly anticipate the worst case scenario and have a back up plan to counter efficiently with minimal collateral.
Fun Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA 95054June 15, 2017
Great America is a fun family friend work place where you can learn new things and interact and meet new people. The hardest thing about working at Great America is angry customers but you have to be calm and handle it in a certainly manner.
Pros
Good lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
Employees were commodities
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 4, 2017
Employees were not taken seriously, micromanaged, and treated as stupid. Managers had poor leadership skills and was a strict working environment. Work requests were not met (I burn easily and do not handle heat well, was supposed to be in a store, was put outside for 8 hours with limited covering from the sun).
Cons
short breaks, nowhere to store food safely, had to buy food from them
Best job for a teen
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 17, 2017
Working at Great America wasn't the best experience for me due to some Supervisors not doing their job but things could have changed over the years. I worked here when I was 16 and it helped me learn the basic retail skills. There were times where my Team Leads were doing more of Supervisors jobs than the actual Supervisors. I was forced to cut my hair to meet their standards in order to keep the job.
Pros
Basic Retail skills, Friendly Co-Workers, and Best experience for teens.
Cons
Short Lunch, Low Pay, and Lazy Supervisors.
It's good when there's good managers
Food Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 25, 2017
The environment changes from time to time and when there is a great manager and team leaders, then the experience is awesome. I have experienced both good and bad management BUT, the experience of working at such a big and fun place is great.
Fun environment
Operation and cash Supervisor, Cashier, Cooked (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 21, 2017
Great place to start if you don't know where to work at. People are great and it gives you the ability to establish long-lasting friendships. Great place to learn new skills that you can apply to your daily life.
Pros
The people you get to work with
Exciting workplace
Performer/Dancer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 25, 2017
I was able to get paid for doing what I love while meeting a lot of new people, making new friends. I enjoyed going to work and seeing what the day entailed.
Pretty fun place to work
Games Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 21, 2017
You meet a lot of new people. Fun part time job to work in the summer if you need to make some extra cash. Great work environment with a lot of friendly co-workers. Some customers can be a little antsy, but overall great experience.
Easy job, disorganized management, but fun environment overall
Park Services Supervisor, Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 21, 2017
Working at Great America is interesting because the amusement park is so large, the experience has a lot of dimensions to it. There's the general park management experience and the experience one has in their own department.
When it comes to general park management, things tend to get disorganized and complicated. Expect HR to be kind of slow and at times difficult to work with. I think the most complicated part of working at Great America is having to deal with the HR department. When I started my first season, they failed to send me an official job offer from Cedar Fair. My start date was delayed by two weeks because of this, but we managed to work it out. Overall, if you're willing to be proactive and make sure nobody messes up your stuff, it should be okay. And during the 2016 season, the people working in Associate Services are really really really rude about sizing and uniform (they would refuse to give associates proper-fitting uniforms because of their own personal judgement and not by actual clothing sizes. My pants were always about 2 sizes too big. My manager once took me to associate services to get a belt WHILE I WAS ON THE CLOCK because it was so bad.)
In my own department (Park Services), I had a lot of fun. Park Services is basically being a janitor, but the associates are usually really fun to work with and I've made a lot of friends from there. Management within the department varies each season, as people are in and out of here within months, so there's no way to predict who's going to be running the place.
In general, I really liked working here but was
  more... annoyed with all of the completely preventable inconveniences created by the more corporate side of management.  less
Pros
Free admission, free tickets for friends/family, in-park discounts
Cons
slow and seemingly lazy HR department, unprofessional associate services department
Alot has changed
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 20, 2017
Alot has changed since i worked there, for the better. It seems like they are constantly adding new things and committed to moving forward. It was really challenging work.
Wouldn't go back
Food & Beverage Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 12, 2016
I worked here over the summer and it was definitely an experience. Many of my co-workers were younger than me, including some of my managers. Many of the employees didn't really care about doing actual work and most of the time I found myself goofing off with other employees instead of doing actual work. Pay was good, was scheduling was very inflexible and there were many miscommunication errors that led to me having to talk to HR a lot. It's a good job for young people, but I definitely don't think I will be working here again.
Pros
Good pay, good environment
Cons
Food is not free, schedules are not flexible
HR Records/Employment
HR Employment/Records (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 7, 2016
My typical day at work is to run a Work Permit Cognos report to determine what associates' Work Permit is becoming expired and notify them to renew before their expiration date. Check all phone messages and return them with a reponse. Then I check my emails and respond to them accordingly. I complete all data entry for the PARS (Personnel Action Records) and file them in the Employee Files. There maybe a potential employee who may need to be processed in HRX verified and hired. I enjoy helping a new potential employees with their paper work and my team members in the hiring process. I have learned that each person has their own ways of understanding and learning new processes. It has very gratifying to work with so many different age groups and work ethics.
Pros
Meeting and working with many types of people
Cons
No benefits or potential full-time work.
Great Environment, Great people to work with
Cash Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 30, 2016
Working here is quite an experience when everyone else is good to you. It is a great environment to be in and there's always a positive vibe. I learned that when communicating with others will help you better on finishing your job.
Not The Great
Ride Operator (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 21, 2016
My first year was good, but my second year wasn't so much. I think there was very little dedication and teamwork in my second year. I didn't really learn anything from it except generic ideas of responsibility, but it bothered me that many people were irresponsible and no one seemed to care. The job itself was also very monotonous.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Lunches were bad and not free, low teamwork, long commute
.Food Associate
Food's Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 6, 2016
A typical day at work is fast pacing service, some of the workers operated the rides were kind of rude but , they were a ok company to work at they need to give all workers a raise.