California's Great America Employee Reviews

Games Official (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJuly 3, 2015
Working at great america was not good honestly. My co-workers werent friendly and welcoming at all and all they wanted to do was compete with me. My typical day at work was working at a game where i had to interact with the customers the whole time. i did not have a problem with that. When it came down to closing i had to deal with my co-workers being rude and mean to me. My boss was nice and pretty laid back though. My most enjoyable part of my job here was my lunch. Lmao
Productive and fun workplace
-dealing with guest concerns
-recruit new employees
-making schedules
-teaching

I learned a lot about time management and being a good leader. Our department is full of intelligent people and they're all friendly. The hardest part of the job is archiving all the documents and keeping track of employees record. This job is great when you're in school, really flexible with hours.
Fun environment but not worth my commute
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 14, 2015
Pros: get in the park free, whenever
Cons: hella far from my home
I am a highschool student without a car coming from Hayward to Santa Clara to work each shift. The cost alone to get there is more than my hourly wage. Being paid 9$/hr is not worth the hour and a half comute
Not a bad job to teach you how hard work can be.
Rides associate (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 2, 2015
Pros: Experience.
Cons: Short summer job.
Most times it was fun, even when the sun was hot and guests where agitated. For the few times when work became work the flaws of depending on you workmates became much more apparent, especially when most of your work mates are under 19. Still, overall, I had a good time there and learned a lot about what I want to do and where I don't want to end up.
Awesome people
Ride Operator (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 2, 2015
Pros: Cheap cheap food for employees
Co-workers at this place were some of the nicest and relatable people I've ever had the chance of working with. The higher ups were never really seen as the chain of command was too high for me, but overall very nice place.
Overall, eh
Merchandise Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Prices for food for employees are cheap!!, Get 4 free admission tickets (6 if worked there for more than 1 season), occasional employee day where food is free, park is open just for you, etc
Cons: Supervisors will often make you take breaks/lunches very early into your shift, biased supervisors, (almost to the point where it is to be friends with them and you have an easy work life)
It could be better and it could be worse. The hours are good ONLY during the summer as the park is open the full week. I do not recommend the job until the summer seeing as you will only get weekends until then. If that is something, you'd like then work your way to the week, go right ahead. The job work is fairly easy. This is from someone that worked there for 2 seasons. Most of the time, it will feel kind of like you are being under appreciated. I say this and emphasize this from personal experience and from what co workers say. That is a huge factor in why I did not return to Great America. I could have been promoted, but I was at the wrong place and at the wrong time. (Of course, many would think of this as blaming the circumstances, but this is my honest review)
There are decent supervisors but will occasionally forget to their own work. I have seen them just sitting around and talking with co workers while the rest work. That is a huge bother to me.
Also the time of which you work is important. If you are placed to work after 12, you are out of luck as you will have the most work and most pressure. Those that are close to their supervisors will try to edge their way into getting the morning shift as it is very easy and laid back. I admit I did this a couple of times. I have also noticed how much co workers will suck up to supervisors inhales for good hours or good locations. (You will understand what locations means when you work there)
Pay was 8.00 in 2013, then 9.00 in 2014, then in the middle of 2015, July, will it raise to 10.00 but will stay at that price for a while.
The environment is fun, I must admit. I met so many awesome people and was the primary reason to return for the second season.
Sorry for the long report but I had to share this.
Team Leader (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: reduced lunches
Enjoyed the first couple months there. When season went to full time the pace picked up. Very big on guest satisfaction. Not enough pay.
Fun workplace with friendly associates and welcoming environment
Black-out (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free drinks, discount lunches
Cons: short breaks, not many benefits
I loved working at Halloween Haunt, I got to talk to many people, and help them with anything that they may have needed help with. It wasn't a very difficult job, but there were time that I needed to call a manager into certain situations. Through all the busy days and the hectic work style, our management team was always there to help us. Overall, it was the best work experience I've had.
Great learning experience
Ride Operations Manager (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Great America taught me so much about work ethic and has made me a stronger person. I enjoyed going into work not knowing what the day had in store for me. Meeting guest from all over was very enjoyable. The best part of the day was to see all the guest with smiles on their faces, knowing that you are making a difference in their experience.
See Last entry
Games Area Supervisor (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CANovember 5, 2014
See Last entry

• Act as department trainer
• Develop training programs throughout the season
• Inventory Management
• Direct and Indirect customer service
• Create motivational events to increase associate moral
Office Assitant
Human Resources Records Rep (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CASeptember 2, 2014
This was where i learned how lack of work ethic can put your job in jeopardy. I was able to hone my computer skills, and my file keeping skills.
Great Place to gain Work Experience
Foods Clerk (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CAAugust 22, 2014
This was my first job and I loved Every minute of it. I started out as an associate doing clerical work for the foods department and worked my way up to a supervisor. I've worked at Great America for three years, As a Food Clerks I was in charge of doing all the paperwork necessary to keep our department up and running. Such as Payroll, Disciplinary action, cash audits, attendance reports, passing out paychecks, hiring and terminations, etc. From this job I gained so much experience, I've learned about time-keeping and deadlines, how to work under pressure and in stressful situations,how organizational and planning skills are key to working in any environment, guest service is one of the most important things, and how to adapt to new rules and policies. I enjoyed working so closely with all the Associates, I loved being able to help them with any questions they had. I also love the work I do, I like knowing that I play important role in helping run a department smoothly.
Awesome place to work; really poor management
FMC (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: good schedules and good co-workers
Cons: extremely bad management; poor people skills
This place is a great place to work by far, I personally enjoyed it very much. The actual job was fun and always had challenges to get me through my day.
The bad part is the poor management there. They are not all bad but it just seems like the bad managers are the ones who run the place while the good managers are the ones that keep this place afloat. Too many bad decisions are made and the workers are stuck fixing the problems or doing too much with too little. If you want a seasonal job to "hold you over" until something better comes along then this is the place for you. If you are looking to make a career here, then I highly ask you to look elsewhere because I can bet you that you will never be happy or appreciated.
Perfect job if you love to have fun
Theater Attendant (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 30, 2014
Pros: watching singers/dancers/actors during concerts
Cons: telling a lot of people what not to do
A typical day at work when I'm at Great America is having a lot of children everywhere, singing, and dancing. My job there is to guide guests if they're lost, supervise the kids during the shows, crowd control during big concerts, and sweeping off the stage. I learned that to fit in this job, you just have to loosen up and be happy while being with the guests. I have a lot of co-workers at my department and I would say that were all diverse. Not all of us liked the same things or were close to eachothers' ages, but I feel like we got along just fine. The hardest part of my job was when there were big concerts, I was in control of telling a lot people not to stand on the benches during the show, no smoking, and not to go backstage. It's really hectic because my coworkers and I are dealing with about 2,000 people. The most enjoyable part of the job is being at the amusement park, it's purely just 100% fun and full of positiveness.
Fun
Rides Associate (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 15, 2014
Pros: people, work.
Cons: pay, hours.
Great place to start to get your feet "wet". The hours are long and the pay is still dirt but the people where fun to be around and the environment was great.
Fun seasonal positions, though constant changes can be troublesome
Cash Control Auditor (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 13, 2014
Pros: sense of community, flexible hours, cafe on site
Cons: work weekends and holidays, short breaks
Cash control was really a great place to work. There was always work to do, and lots of simple cash-handling and math problems involved. The only major downside was that this department was always inbetween managers; in the three years I was there, there was a different manager each season. The machines were old and starting to cause problems - we would have to work overtime because of how long the coin machines took, though there was no overtime budgeted. I hear that Cash Control has gotten a more devoted full-time manager since I left, so they may have recovered from the inconsistencies.
warehouse associate
Foods Warehouse Leader (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMay 27, 2014
This job is good for the typical high school to college student because it is seasonal. work 8 months out of the year then get 4 months off from work to focus on other things. mim wage
Worst Job I ever had
Ride Operator (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAApril 29, 2014
Pros: good crew to work with
Cons: managers were mean
ThE MANAGERS WERE SO MEEAAANN TO THEIR EMPLOYEES. the scheduling sucks and it's only $8+.
Great Place to Start Out
Head Waterpark Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAApril 5, 2014
This is a company that is a great place to get started to learn about professionalism, customer service, and management.
The upside to this job is that you're working outside, new customers everyday, and there are a lot of departments to get experience in.
The downside to this job is that it's seasonal, there is little room for advancement (a cap on earnings), there are no benefits, you get no summer time vacation, co-workers are young and fresh out of high school, you deal with a lot of irate customers.
N/A
Rides Associate (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 24, 2014
Typical day at work:
-check harnesses and restrains
-give riders the ride rules
-operate ride