About CAA Tri-County
The California Apartment Association Tri-County Division (CAA Tri-County) is the local division of the California Apartment Association--a non-profit trade association representing the interests of ethical rental property owners and managers in Santa Clara, San Mateo, & Santa Clara counties. With approximately 3000 members in this three county area and 17,000 members across the state, CAA is the nation’s largest statewide trade association representing the interests of rental property owners and managers. The membership includes all segments of the rental industry including independent owners of rental property to the largest real estate investment trusts.
CAA’s mission is to represent the interests of rental owners in all aspects of government affairs and provide services that contribute to the success of their business. More information can be found on our website www.tcaa.org
CAA Tri-County seeks an experienced government affairs and strategic communications professional to manage and perform all aspects of the association’s policy, advocacy, and communications functions. We are looking for someone who can think critically and strategically and can function both independently and as part of a team. Ideal candidates will have: knowledge of and experience in local government relations, political strategy, strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work well with a broad range of people and entities.
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree and four years of related experience; a full job description follows. Applications shall include a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements.
Policy and Advocacy
- Formulate, implement, and track legislative and other policy initiatives/proposals and strategies regarding specific issues of interest to CAA Tri-County at the local government level. Emphasis is on local government lobbying: drafting policy, negotiating legislative language (including problem-solving) and advocating CAA Tri-County positions through means that include direct meetings, letters, position papers, testimonies, legislative proposals, public comments, grassroots mobilization, and other relevant materials.
- Track and engage in the municipal budget cycles to ensure priorities relevant to CAA Tri-County members are addressed.
- Support needs of the Executive Director and board members as they relate to policy activities, such as drafting letters, writing talking points and testimony, and arranging and preparing for meetings.
- Identify opportunities, develop and execute strategies for engagement, participation, information-sharing, and advocacy by CAA Tri-County.
- Work cooperatively with other relevant stakeholders, including allied organizations.
Education and Outreach
- Serve as liaison for CAA Tri-County with local governments including city council members, city staff, city administration officials, and counterparts from other non-governmental organizations. This includes representing CAA Tri-County at relevant meetings, briefings, events, and other policy venues. In some cases, arrange and lead such activities.
- Identify opportunities for education and outreach by convening discussions and briefings on behalf of CAA Tri-County, and in conjunction with other internal and external persons/entities as appropriate.
- Support coordination of content and speakers for various events
- Arrange and lead targeted meetings with local government leaders throughout the year that include key association members and the Executive Director
- Engage CAA Tri-County members in policy efforts, providing them with the information and tools needed to support policy and fundraising activities of CAA Tri-County.
Research and Information Gathering
- Provide leadership with timely information on relevant policy decisions and activities at the local level
- Research issues and trends facing the rental housing industry and incorporate these findings into briefing and communications materials
- Maintaining relevant constituent information in a database of rental property owners for grassroots mobilization
- Responsible for communicating to the members important local trends, issues, and developments that impact the rental housing industry
- Primary management responsibility for CAA Tri-County’s monthly e-newsletter and bi-monthly magazine. Overall responsibility to ensure the publications meet member needs, are delivered on-time, and content is relevant, timely, and unique.
- Identify strategic opportunities to position CAA Tri-County and its members in the media. This may include drafting and distributing press releases, op-ed pieces, pitching stories to local press and other ways to garner media attention for CAA Tri-County
- Primary management responsibility for messaging and content on CAA Tri-County’s website
- Coordinate with Executive Director and other persons/entities as appropriate, to identify priorities and determine strategy and appropriate roles for CAA Tri-County in conducting policy and political activities.
- Regularly updates, interprets, and advises CAA Tri-County staff, leadership, and members about relevant policy activities and decisions
- Oversee local political action committee, candidate recruitment, endorsement, and support process
- Develop and successfully implement campaign strategy for CAA Tri-County endorsed candidates for local office
- Design and administer fundraising strategy for issues and candidates endorsed by CAA Tri-County
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or related field
Experience and Knowledge
- At least 4 years of experience in policy or advocacy, ideally related to local government issues
- Candidate should have an understanding of local governments in San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz
- Experience managing multiple priorities, deadlines, and objectives at the simultaneously
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as with a team.
- Ability to think critically and act strategically.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people and entities.
- Personal integrity, professionalism, and good judgment.
- Negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Competence with the Internet and Microsoft Office.
- Flexibility to attend evening and morning meetings and functions
Compensation and Benefits
CAA Tri-County offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include health insurance, 401(k) with employer contribution, and paid time off.
The California Apartment Association is dedicated to providing services and products that will help our members operate their rental...