California Closets Employee Reviews

Nice environment for office in a retail mall setting
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 11, 2017
Loved working with a few of the employees. Loved having the trust and freedom of designing from home. Only had to go out to meet with clients or cover the showroom one day a week. Loved the opportunity to visit many client's homes with spectacular views or secluded locations. Quality and selections of product were easy to sell.
Pros
Working from home, upper management seemed to be sincere about our thoughts and showed interest in our input, Sales were easy to make because of the reputation, quality and options of materials and designs.
Cons
(Former) manager had not done our job so she had difficulty in understanding our scope of work, Commissions were challenging to make because we didn't have control of production, stock of materials, scheduling of jobs to install or client's scheduling.
Unfair and unequal treatment of employees
Shop worker (Former Employee) –  Hopkinton, MAApril 10, 2017
Would not recommend this company to job seekers or clients. Managers treat employees like numbers. No one in the company cares about your personal life, expect you to Dedicate your life to the company. Very hostile work environment. Employees don't care about the product and send stuff out to clients damaged. So called "Designers" are not capable of using tape measures or levels. Over all a horrible company to work for or do business with.
Highly Unorganized
Showroom Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIApril 3, 2017
Unfair treatment amongst employees. But most importantly, we've had far too many times where clients' would call because they got the wrong piece to their closet, installation wasn't done properly, or finished, or a no show for appointments. Wouldn't recommend to clients or individuals seeking for a job.
May not apply to all locations as they are franchised
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 16, 2017
I worked out of Bellevue, WA. It was VERY difficult to build business out of the showroom because the leads went to the most seasoned 'favorites'. If you wanted to grow as a new person you had to find your own leads. Not based on territory as originally thought. You'd have to drive for an hour to see a job that may be in a trailer. No guarantee that people weren't just using you for your measurements and designs to DIY. 100% commission was terrible for at least the first year. The training was okay. If you think you're working from home... think again.

Very fun job when you start getting good leads and actually sit with people who could afford to purchase very high-priced storage spaces.
Pros
designing, seeing great houses, the sales process from start to finish
Cons
commission only, no good leads from the showroom, having to work in the showroom on saturdays
California Closets franchise under the Masons.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2017
Under the franchise I was employed by I have to say was exceptional. The new company Closet Tamers I have no good experience with and do not have the faith that I had with the California Closets I worked for close to 20 years.
Pros
They taught me from the bottom and brought me with them as they grew.
Cons
Do not recommend corporate takeovers that result in the hearts of the company being eliminated!
Great training
Sales & Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
California Closets has a great training program. The company is the leader in the closet organizing biz. It's very high-end so the opportunities with homeowners may not be qualified, on the other hand, you're working with an well-known premier brand with integrity. With any in-home sales, there are many prospects that are just wanting a price. Must love driving.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
territories are large
Started as a Customer Service Rep. which turned into purchaser and working in the shop.
Customer Service Representative/Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 7, 2017
Good pay and willingness to work with a schedule that balanced home and work life. Loved working in the shop and helping customers get a great custom closet!!
Professional and considerate of clientele
Carpenter/Installer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2016
A reputable company offering competitive wages and an overall satisfactory employee package. Work environment includes residential and commercial setting. The locations are franchised so management changes per location.
Great Place to Work
Project Manager/ Design Consultant & Sales (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 25, 2016
Working with clients on a day to day basis to develop their projects is the best part of the job. The use of different materials and products give the designer a great chance to wow and impress clients along with bring the project to life.
Great Company
Closet Installer (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAMay 11, 2016
Typical day starts at 7, the earlier the better. Making sure your material is ready for you before you leave for the job site is vital. If you ever need assistance, the excellent management staff will be right on hand to get the correct items sent your away. The hardest part of the job is communication, as long as you and your partners are all on the same page, your days here will be quite enjoyable! Excellent staff and great quality products!
Great Job. Rewarding.
Installer (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAApril 29, 2016
I loved the fact that is was combined effort with a team of 5 to produce and install a high quality product. A very challenging day every day but extremely rewarding.
Pros
Too many to list.
Cons
Too few to mention.
It's a pretty good place to work but there is no where else for me to go. I have advanced as far as I can.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYJanuary 2, 2016
We have a lot of fun at work but I have advanced as far as I can. Looking for more benefits and advancement. Hardest part of job is I would say Mondays when everyone is coming to me with problems and I am also trying to get work done but we get through it and get the problems fixed. I have learned how to deal with all kinds of people because I have been there for 20+ years and have met a lot of people.
Pros
great people.
Cons
can't advance and no matching benefits.
Overall decent
installation (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILNovember 18, 2015
I loved working with fellow employees. I loved being able to exceed customer expectations and being in a new environment almost every day
Unpredictable hours,Poor management
Installer (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJOctober 29, 2015
Poor management, no organization,no room for growth no matter how hard you work. Hard work doesn't pay off with that company.
Interesting job that allows me to meet a lot of nice people
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  rochester, nySeptember 16, 2015
I would get to work early to prepare for the work day, Load the truck and be at my appointment on time. I learned that people skills and customer service was necessary. My management team was very professional. The co-workers were hard woring a reliable. The hardest part of the job was remembering everything i needed for each job, being that every job was different. The most enjoyable thing was my self accomplishment when the job was done and then i could go help someone else.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
not many hours
New Ownership of franchise with unsuccessful transistion
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNSeptember 10, 2015
I am available 10 hours a day to my employees and expected to be available 24 hours a day for the owner. A once AMAZING company led by a sincere owner has unfortunately lost its way with new ownership prioritizing marketing and advertisement above the integrity of the company, product and it's relationship with its clients. The increase of work orders has toppled the capacity of the entire team from sales to manufacturing to install. With a refusal to pull back and realign and unite a once strong team of valuable employees, the company is struggling to breathe and morale is dim at best.
Pros
employee discount on materials
Cons
no benefits, no overtime, no PTO
Productive & Fast Pace
Purchasing Manager/ Receiving (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 22, 2015
Started with running production report. Next I would run my purchasing order receiving report to follow up on orders. Researching special order items per job.
Easy to work with co-workers.
Pros
Nice place to grow with.
Cons
CEO & Management very un-supportive
Great Place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 10, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. The owner Sean is amazing and taught me a lot about owning a business and life in general. When business was good I was very busy which I enjoyed. Hardest part was being laid off and having to leave.
Pros
discount on closets
Cons
the office didn't have the best location
Sales
Designer & Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 7, 2015
Designers will always be challenged to balance sales and the creative process. The ability to execute your own designs and see them installed and used is priceless. Hard work and 100% commission.
Exciting place to work, with lots of great clients
Designer Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 1, 2015
Typical days are consulting two clients in their homes. Measuring the space they want a solution for. Designing a solution using closet CAD. Closing sales. Calling clients, meeting clients in our Bellevue showroom.
Pros
Designing storage solutions for clients using Closet CAD
Cons
Working weekends and evenings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Closets. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9