California Closets Employee Reviews in United States

It's a pretty good place to work but there is no where else for me to go. I have advanced as far as I can.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYJanuary 2, 2016
We have a lot of fun at work but I have advanced as far as I can. Looking for more benefits and advancement. Hardest part of job is I would say Mondays when everyone is coming to me with problems and I am also trying to get work done but we get through it and get the problems fixed. I have learned how to deal with all kinds of people because I have been there for 20+ years and have met a lot of people.
Pros
great people.
Cons
can't advance and no matching benefits.
Great Company
Closet Installer (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAMay 11, 2016
Typical day starts at 7, the earlier the better. Making sure your material is ready for you before you leave for the job site is vital. If you ever need assistance, the excellent management staff will be right on hand to get the correct items sent your away. The hardest part of the job is communication, as long as you and your partners are all on the same page, your days here will be quite enjoyable! Excellent staff and great quality products!
New Ownership of franchise with unsuccessful transistion
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNSeptember 10, 2015
I am available 10 hours a day to my employees and expected to be available 24 hours a day for the owner. A once AMAZING company led by a sincere owner has unfortunately lost its way with new ownership prioritizing marketing and advertisement above the integrity of the company, product and it's relationship with its clients. The increase of work orders has toppled the capacity of the entire team from sales to manufacturing to install. With a refusal to pull back and realign and unite a once strong team of valuable employees, the company is struggling to breathe and morale is dim at best.
Pros
employee discount on materials
Cons
no benefits, no overtime, no PTO
Interesting job that allows me to meet a lot of nice people
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  rochester, nySeptember 16, 2015
I would get to work early to prepare for the work day, Load the truck and be at my appointment on time. I learned that people skills and customer service was necessary. My management team was very professional. The co-workers were hard woring a reliable. The hardest part of the job was remembering everything i needed for each job, being that every job was different. The most enjoyable thing was my self accomplishment when the job was done and then i could go help someone else.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
not many hours
Disorganized from the top down.
Installer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2015
a typical day at work included arriving at 5:30 am, checking off the job materiel, loading it into a van, driving it to the customer's house, troubleshooting several things on-site during the installation, and a thorough cleanup before leaving for the day. I learned how to communicate with customers quite professionally, how to troubleshoot more effectively, and a few carpentry/finish work skills I didn't already know. Management was largely disorganized and under qualified due to a rough company merger, often letting their personal feelings get in the way of their jobs. My co-workers were very hard working, highly skilled, and would help whenever they could. The hardest part of the job was the long hours, often 12 or more, from the time I got to the shop until the time I got home. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a bunch of beautiful homes, meeting all of the different customers, and getting a glimpse of their lives for a day.
Pros
healthcare, dental, 401k
Cons
petty managers, terrible quality control, long work hours
Unpredictable hours,Poor management
Installer (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJOctober 29, 2015
Poor management, no organization,no room for growth no matter how hard you work. Hard work doesn't pay off with that company.
Productive & Fast Pace
Purchasing Manager/ Receiving (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 22, 2015
Started with running production report. Next I would run my purchasing order receiving report to follow up on orders. Researching special order items per job.
Easy to work with co-workers.
Pros
Nice place to grow with.
Cons
CEO & Management very un-supportive
Overall decent
installation (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILNovember 18, 2015
I loved working with fellow employees. I loved being able to exceed customer expectations and being in a new environment almost every day
A great place to work
Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMay 18, 2014
The job where at California closets can be described as feast and famine. There are times that there was barely enough work to go around. And then there were the times that you felt like you were drinking out of a fire hose. It was a physically and mentally demanding job. As a man that was training me once said, "There is one way to do it right and plenty of ways to do it wrong.". Having said that I think that the people there were some of the best I have every had the privilege to work with.
Pros
good management
Cons
crazy work hours
Physical, but rewarding.
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FlAugust 23, 2013
A normal day at California Closets was arriving at 7:30 AM and loading material into van and unloading into home; Then installing the closet system. I learned everything here, from hanging rail to locking shelves. Management was great, I never had an issue. Coworkers were a team of support for me as an apprentice. The hardest part was the carrying of material back and forth and the most enjoyable part was seeing the complete job.
Pros
tips and overtime hours.
Cons
inability to insure me as a driver.
Great Place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 10, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. The owner Sean is amazing and taught me a lot about owning a business and life in general. When business was good I was very busy which I enjoyed. Hardest part was being laid off and having to leave.
Pros
discount on closets
Cons
the office didn't have the best location
Productive, fun, little room for advancement
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Wexford, PAFebruary 4, 2014
Typical day at California Closets was easy, I worked at my own pace while getting everything I needed done. I learned a lot about Closet systems and organization.

The hardest part of the job was learning and becoming familiar with the product and the most enjoyable was talking with customers
Pros
small tight knit staff, great training
Cons
little room for advancement, repetitive
Exciting place to work, with lots of great clients
Designer Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 1, 2015
Typical days are consulting two clients in their homes. Measuring the space they want a solution for. Designing a solution using closet CAD. Closing sales. Calling clients, meeting clients in our Bellevue showroom.
Pros
Designing storage solutions for clients using Closet CAD
Cons
Working weekends and evenings
Great company, great employees, and great clientel !
Showroom Liaison (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Working in a professional atmosphere, meeting a wide varirty of people and helping guide them through the California Closets experience. Coordinating clients needs, and scheduling them with the appropriate designer.

Relaxed and pleasant atmosphere made it very comfortable for me as well as the clients, and working for the best company in the home storage industry gave me a treamendous sense of pride.
Pros
relaxed and professional working enviorment
Enojoyable and Fast Pace
Lead Installer (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJanuary 5, 2014
This job was fast pace, interesting, and enjoyable. I learn time management, organizational and building skills. All my co-workers where easy to get along with and we were able to work together or as individuals.

One of the most enjoyable things about the job, was the people, both regular and celebrities we got to meet and work with.
Family oreintated and job security
Machine Operator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 19, 2014
A very fast paced environment with room to grow but with little compensation and no benefits.
Pros
family oreintated
Cons
no benefits, little compensation
Sales
Designer & Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 7, 2015
Designers will always be challenged to balance sales and the creative process. The ability to execute your own designs and see them installed and used is priceless. Hard work and 100% commission.
Productive, creative, and friendly work enviroment.
Designer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2012
On the day to day I go to different appointments at client's houses. From there we begin the creative process of building a new organization system for their needs (i.e. closets, garages, offices..). In the office I spend time working on such designs, as well as, working with other employees to carry out my designs as they prepare for installation. The hardest part of the job are the constant work, however that is also the most enjoyable because the creative process in never ending and can come up with new and fabulous designs.
A good company to work at
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoApril 28, 2014
The California Closets franchise in Puerto Rico is one of those companies that you might think impossible to exist, but it does. From the janitor to the owner of the franchise, EVERYONE treat other employees with respect emphasizing the team work that many small companies lack nowadays. Though it is true that sometimes the environment gets a bit tense but it always calms down, that always happens in business but in this company is amazing how good everyone deals with things. Working here is a home away from home.
Productive Work Experience
Repair/Install Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYDecember 1, 2014
Typical work day consisted of dealing with customers regarding installations and repairs. Main goal was to keep them happy, do my job and do it right, enforcing the quality of work and the integrity of the company.

2.9