California College of the Arts Employee Reviews

Great place for short term
Manager of Media Services (Current Employee), San FranciscoMay 12, 2015
Pros: can be flexible
Cons: low pay
People tend to be nice, but the turn over rate is high and the pay is low. If you get the right position, hours can be flexible, and work is low stress. Very little motivation to achieve more than the bare minimum, which works well for lifers, but if you have a good work ethic, can be very frustrating.
Forward thinking and innovative
senior staff (Current Employee), San Francisco bay area, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: pay
In so many ways an exceptional place to work, compensation needs to catch up for staff. Raises are too small and staffing is not adequate for changes needed.
Dedicated employees, Poor Management, Compensation Inequities
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: dedicated lower level employees, decent retirement plan
Cons: poor compensation, very expensive benefits (employee share), bad management, archaic processes & systems, old unsafe buildings on campus
Despite having a new VP of Finance & Admin, the same old processes, compensation methods, and poor morale exist. CCA tends to hire from outside instead of professionally growing their current employees and promoting from within. Promotions occur based on favoritism and not actual work performance. The compensation inequalities that exist between newer employees when compared to employees that have been there for years is staggering. Employee morale is so terrible that departments do not work well with one another. Turnover is very high. If you are looking for a stepping stone to get into the higher education industry, this is an okay place to start but it is definitely not recommended for those who are looking to grow with the organization they support.
Engaging and communicating ESL Students
Student Coach (Former Employee), Oakland, CaOctober 13, 2014
Pros: working with all international students
Cons: n/a
My primary position was to communicate with residents to ensure a positive environment. I typical day of work would be spending time getting to know residents, reminding them of important events, paperwork they need to do, and being there in case something happens.The environment was a place where learning was constant, either I was teaching someone about the world or I was being taught. My co-workers were people who were easy to talk to and communicate to about residents.The hardest part of my job was telling myself when enough was enough and making time to focus on myself. The most enjoyable part of my job was becoming more culturally aware and being someone that residents felt they could engage with.
Productive, creative, ease
Distinguished Professor (Current Employee), Oakland, CaJune 26, 2014
It is a great place to teach, working with artistic students who think outside the box. Very supportive and great, well published and engaged faculty.
they need more officers
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 14, 2014
Pros: lunch when it not so busy i try to 30min
Cons: 2 15min. breaks
shift starts at 8:00a.m. students always need help
I learn to smile can't say anything to the students
Management is get better
Some co-worker don't do there job
the hardest is when people don't know the policies
When everyone together and sometime they have
trips
Wonderful population, great learning opportunity
Psychology Pre-Doctoral Intern (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2014
I loved this placement! I learned a lot from the clients themselves as well as the training program. There is a lot of reading and a lot of clients to juggle— It's an intensive experience.
Moodle Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 2, 2014
This is a great position to remain connected to CCA post-graduation
Culturally Dynamic & Artistic Environment
STUDIO MANAGER - ANIMATION & MEDIA ARTS (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 5, 2013
It is rewarding to work with talented faculty and staff. I'm given the ability to be both creative and technical while solving problems and taking on projects within educational technology.
diverse, interesting, creative
Associate Director for Instructional Media (Current Employee), Oakland, CAJune 23, 2013
Design/Art in the Bay Area. A very interesting mix of disciplines and programs converges here. A traditional arts college meeting the 21st century - with all the challenges one might imagine that brings.
Arts
Senior Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee), OaklandMarch 15, 2013
Work with students, assist with financial aid, academic planning and overall community involovement.
Most enjoyable Job I've have had
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: rewarding, intuitive
Cons: working where you live
Building a community that last for over 4 years starts with you.
It only takes a little bit of initiative to get friendships rolling.
Setting boundaries was apart of the job and working the front desk, but if you were building the community well those things did not even matter. The team you are on is always awesome because of the rigorous application process and intimate raining environment.
The hardest part of the job was working where you lived and keeping in contact with older friends who moved out of the dorms. The most enjoyable part was hearing all the lovely things people say to you such as, "We Love our R.A.".
not the best place
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 19, 2012
a lot of back stabling
snake like people
never up front
will push you in front of the bus
poor Culture / Values /Job Security / Advancement not a place of growth
Work-study Program Assistant
Video Program Assistant (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 5, 2012
Pros: working with students
Cons: part-time, on-call work
Good work-study opportunity for students at CCA, tutoring students. It sometimes got difficult being that there was only one of me while several students required my undivided attention. The hard part was asking them (nicely) to wait.
CCA Review
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee), Oakland/SF CaliforniaMarch 30, 2011
Pros: great facility
Cons: lousy wicked provost and staff
This art school campus is lacking when it comes to hiring or recruiting students of minority background in perticular African American and Latino candidates. Often passes off staffing Public Safety temporary positions with African Americans for the appearance of being equal.