California Conservation Corps Employee Reviews

Has potential but...
Corpsmember (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 20, 2017
Has the potential to be a great place to work and gain experience but upper management does not really care about the employees home life and difficulties with transportation and the like. Also extreme favoritism shown to certain employees causes most workers to become disgruntled and unproductive.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Favoritism and bad upper management
Traveling on different projects
Office Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2017
The company is great for young adults fresh out of high school for guides and balance. The origination trains you and give you discipline, more kind of a military kind of setting. You will get great experience responding to natural disasters, helping fire fighters which will lead you in a career setting after the program.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Low pay no benefits
good job for young person
blue hat (Former Employee) –  Napa, CANovember 16, 2017
in this job you are a landscaper for the state of california. you mostly just pick up trash on the freeway and trim trees and shrubs in state parks. occasionally you get to go on field trips to the zoo or state parks.
Pros
paid zoo trips
Cons
hard work
Awesome job with college dorm like setting
Conservationst 1 (Former Employee) –  Fortuna, CANovember 10, 2017
Wake up early to eat breakfast, do some chores around the camp. Head out with your crew to do some State programs(community work, DOT projects). Fun working in a crew. Awesome opportunity to go out on Emergency Response Crew, usually to fires.
Pros
Great living situations and fun work
Cons
pay
productive and well blanced
Office Clerk cook janitor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 9, 2017
It was a great place to work I really liked it and all the things that they had me doing there and I really enjoyed the jobs and the people that I worked with.
ok kewl
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2017
this place is awsome. it is kewl. the people are kewl and awsome. the ceo sucks. he is fat and smelly and dosnt understand the concept of a shower. he is manipulative and lies to both his employees and himself. this is a terrable employment opportunity.
Good Work program where you can learn a lot
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAOctober 31, 2017
every morning i would get up at 4:30 and get to the center to run three miles with my crew before work, after that we would put on our uniforms and stand in attendance for the work day then we would get our tools and vehicles rounded up and we would drive out to the woods to get to work. running chainsaws,chippers, pole saws,hand tools to clear vegetation that had become fire hazards. I learned a lot on how to work with groups of people and how to work with people 1 on 1. I took a course on fire science, I learned how to run chainsaws and chippers. I maintained and checked the truck that was assigned to me every morning. My boss was a former Corpsmember gone forest service captain and understood a lot of what us kids were going through and he would really talk to us and was a great teacher for the work we were doing. a lot of my coworkers were young adults as well since it was a program for 18-25 year olds.Being on the fire crew we would have some stressful situations but i always handled it without leading to any type of violence. The hardest part of the job for me was leaving home for months at a time and being away from the people i cared about, but my favorite part of the job was being part of a family that had each others backs.
Pros
guaranteed 40 hour weeks
Cons
tiring work, lots of hiking
The hardest part
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 30, 2017
Being away on emergencies, for 21 days straight is very impact. Be ready for the Corps to be your whole life. It is 40 hours a week, with medical benefits. You can earn scholarships as well as your high school diploma
Great certification programs
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Auburn, CAOctober 27, 2017
Sometimes stressful when on fire and flood emergencies but overall it was good. Won't recommend going if you are bad under stress. The work is fun especially when your love working outdoors
Fast past work place
Corps member (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAOctober 26, 2017
This Job is good for People coming out of high school, also wonderful for people who did no obtain a high school diploma they would pay for your schooling to help you get your diploma. Over all wonderful first time job.
get to work outdoors, see beatiful places, meet beautiful people
Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAOctober 23, 2017
going on spike, camp for a week, wake up early, eat breakfast, pack a lunch, go out and clear trails, come back.
learned how to sharpen tools
good managment
kids my age
lopping bushes sucks! carrying a backpack sucks!
you get to see some very nice views
outdoors exibition! expedition!
Pros
outdoors!
Cons
hot, almost died front heat stroke!
Outdoor Experiences/Fire Camps
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 17, 2017
Working for the CCC gave me lots of experience as far as learning procedures at fire camps, Helping the firefighters with the items they needed to do their job. It has its many benefits such as becoming a ranger and many other State jobs.
Pros
I gained lots of different life experiences working here.
Cons
It was temporary
Nah
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAOctober 11, 2017
Need to relieve myself from stressful job. To much favoritism.. Back breaking. Frustrating. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants to be stress free at work.
Competetive Oppportunities
Crew Member - Justus Akins (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CASeptember 29, 2017
A typical day at the California conservation corps. is hard work, I learned how to be a better leader, and manage as well as organize a crew. Everyone there is friendly and they come from all different backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is finding What you want to make of the CCC, And the most enjoyable part is meeting people from all walks of life and getting the opportunity to work with people you can relate to. It makes you feel at home.
Pros
Learn new skills without paying for the cert.
Cons
Only if you allow cons to grow and keep up on your rights
Loved working here.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fortuna, CASeptember 26, 2017
The opportunities offered working here were great. There is room for advancement and serving the Corps members was a rewarding experience. Working for the state has many good benefits and great pay.
Pros
Great job and great pay and benefits
Cons
Management was lacking.
Very fun workplace
Corpsmember, Landscape technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95816September 25, 2017
A typical day at work busy and working hard to get done on time. To not work alone. Workplace is fun you will go to different places to do work or fix up a park.
Not for the weak
Sawyer/Acting Dorm Captain for Crew 5 (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CASeptember 23, 2017
It's a program that trains you (ages 18-25) for the outside world. Great to gain job experience without trade school. Offers those without Diploma a Chance to gain one
Pros
Add
A Great place to get experience.
Core member (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 16, 2017
Everyday was rewarding because you would clean up and beautify different parts of the city. I learned how to use multiple hand and power tools. There was not really a hard part of the job, most enjoyable part is seeing your work at the end of the day.
Pros
Great experience for entry level.
Cons
low pay.
Working with the corpsmembers.
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CASeptember 12, 2017
A typical day at work was to keep the timesheets for the Corpsmembers, staff, and benefits status.

I learned how to give Parolees and staff encouragement by Plaques and Awards.

Management was good and understanding and was positive for the corpsmembers.

Workplace culture was very positive, encouraging and happy.

The hardest part of the job was to see the corpsmembers leaving due to graduation or mishaps.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the corpsmsmbers advance.
Pros
To see the corpsmembers numbers for advancement outweighing the few that got fired.
Cons
To see the few get fired.
Hard working atmosphere
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 7, 2017
A typical day at work is very fast paced and very hard work. You can learn how to use heavy operating equipment, including a chainsaw, forklift, etc. Handheld tools as well including, axes, sludge hammers, and others like it.