California Conservation Corps

California Conservation Corps United States Employee Reviews

Excellent program with many government benefits.
Energy Auditor (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Schedule was extremely convenient.
Cons: There were no cons about the job.
Typical day at work include conduction energy audits on school buildings and occasionally volunteering at a park or camp, participation in yard work.

During employment at this company I learned to conduct energy audits and use multiple yard work items such as chain-saws, shovels and tools of the forest work field.

My co-workers were very knowledgeable about their craft and able to produce energy audits and keep California's scenery looking fresh and gorgeous.

The most difficulty part of the job was finalizing energy audit packets.

The most enjoyable part of the job was volunteering at parks.
"Hard work, low pay, miserable conditions ... and more!"
Corps Member (Former Employee), Camarillo, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: i'm making money, learning, and getting work experience
Cons: we get the same lunch every day..., you don't always get in classes/trainings you want or need
After roll call and room inspections we would pack the truck, sawyers would prep their saws, and we would clean one of the buildings assigned to our crew that month. After that we would drive to our project for that day but before getting there we would stop to use the bathroom and get ready. Once we get to the site we hop out and get in a circle and have a safety talk then head off to work. Sawyers eliminate 50% and any dead brush. Every one else is either pulling, chaining, stacking, or chipping.

I learned CPR and how to use a AED. I Learned about hazmat, and i learned some basic stuff about how to use a chainsaw.

I don't really like how management is run here. It feels like they don't really care about us even though this program was made to help us young people get jobs.

I spend 24/7 with my co-workers. I work with them, I eat with them, I live with them, I hang out with them. I had to learn how to separate my work life with them away from our out side life together and still go back to work every day with out bringing outside life into work.

The hardest part of the job is being put on sign duty when we are working by a road and need to look out for cars coming. I cant stand in one spot for more than 10 minutes. Being put on in-center work is hard too. The days seem so long when you are not putting in hard work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is putting in hard work every day and getting all sweaty from hiking up and down, back and forth, stacking, pulling, or dragging brush. Also getting to spend all day out side.
productive and fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2015
By far the hardest job I've ever had. But also amazing things to learn was the better part of this job. Team work is the key for success for this job
Fun isn't even the word.
Conservationist/ Crew Member (Former Employee), Fortuna, CAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: everyday was a workout, got to see many different kinds of animals
Cons: no cons at all.
Everyday at the CCC for me was a very hard working one but, you never know what your'e going to run into when your'e hiking six to ten miles with a crew ten other members to the worksite in the woods on a steep trail. I even worked in the kitchen for a couple of months while I was there.
" Miserable conditions, worse pay"
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee), National City, CAMarch 2, 2015
A good place to work for someone who is finding trouble getting work elsewhere. great management and good camaraderie. Good emphasis on physical fitness and communication.
Best job I ever had
Acting crew leader & COMET Instructor (Former Employee), Auburn,CAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: couldn't find one
I got up every morning at 5am, made my bunk, changed into my uniform, went to breakfast, made my lunch, went to morning duties, then room inspection, then lined up for roll call. Then each crew filed out to their respective tool sheds and packed what we needed for the job of the day, week, or month. Then we drove to our destination, once we reached it, we would circle up and go over hazards, then the main objective and what had to be done before we left. Then the entire crew and I would work the hardest we ever had. The intensity of the jobs never diminished, we would shovel acres of dirt, clear entire roadsides of overgrown thorn bushes, clear channels of debris and refuse a mile long or more. Then when things got even more serious, we would respond to natural disasters, floods, fires, oil spills, etc. This was our job, and we would do this everyday.

Best decision I ever made.
Productive and fun workplace
SalesForce Developer/ Administrator (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 2, 2015
A place to work and chance to Grow.

Very helping Co-workers.

Aggressive work Environment.

Great place to work i have upgraded my skills on working on various skills.
Expierence of life
laborer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: group lunches and talks
Cons: always had to stay hydrated
morning workout before work, checking ability of vehicles before usage, having crew members ask me where are we working today and what to do when there is a situation unknown. Country Friday music every week with the supervisor. Going on to help with fire camp when there is a big brush fire, being appointed crew leader when I didn't have the actual crew leader hat, wonderful place to be employed, learn a lot about nature and not t o harm animals while at work
"Hard work, low pay, miserable conditions ... and more!"
Corps Member (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great experience and team building environment .
Cons: hard work for little pay.
The CCC can be dispatched within hours to assist agencies with natural disasters and other emergency efforts.
Among the criteria considered in selecting projects, the CCC looks for work conserving or enhancing the state's natural resources or providing another public benefit, and work offering corpsmembers an opportunity to boost employable skills. The sponsoring agency typically provides the technical plans/specifications, materials and on-site technical supervision. Click here to see a sample version of the Project Evaluation Form. For more details about project criteria, please talk with a CCC project coordinator.
Fun and productive place and to live on campus.
Coremember (Former Employee), Fortuna, CAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: living on a campus, helps others get a high school diploma
Cons: no free lunches on weekends
i had a great experience learned new experiences, experienced working out doors and i really enjoyed it. if you like working outdoors you will like working for the California conservation corps. they give you structure, team building help you get your class B drivers license, you can get work with cal trans company. To me its a great place to go when you are young and have no experience under your belt.
Trails
Trails Specialist (Former Employee), Greenwood, CAJanuary 12, 2015
This job was interesting but at the same time very difficult because the fact that no matter what the weather condition was we still had to get the job done. Management and my co-workers were most of the time being productive at the job sites. The hardest part of the job was working under harsh weather conditions, like working in very cold weather while it was raining. The enjoyable part of the job was feeling accomplished after getting each and every job project done at the end and the supervisors thanking for our service.
Review of Applied Behavior Consultants
Core Member (Former Employee), Stockton, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: had fun with children
Cons: not enough hours
I had the great chance to work with kids with autism. I helped students with gross motor skills, speech development, social skills and many other things. I was also required to wear uniform and that I do daily data collection so that progress of the student was measured. The management was okay although some workers were rude in nature it was still a good place to work. Management was very organized.
Always productive, never a boring day, and there is always something new.
Corps Member (Former Employee), San Luis Obispo, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: residential centers, health insurance, and scholarship opportunities
Cons: extreme conditions
My typical day at work started off at 7a.m. Doing PT to make sure we wouldn't cramp up on the job. After all of that, we head out to the place we were going to work. It was usually a different place each week. We got to go to beautiful places, and sometimes it was in extreme conditions. We did things like trail maintenance, fire fuel reduction, fire camp support, and we worked with Cal Trans. I learned quiet a few things in the corps, such as chainsaw work, proper body mechanics, and even how to cook. The other corps members actually feel like they become family. Everyone gets so close, and it's a very friendly environment. The whole job is hard but it is very well worth it. If you are one for outdoors and hard work then the California Conservation Corps is for you!
Corpsmember (Former Employee), Sacramento, CANovember 24, 2014
Pros: traveled
Cons: bad weather
A typical day of work would consist of us meeting in the morning and hearing our objectives for the day, then load up our vehicles with the tools for the day. I learned many things during my time at this like how to avoid workplace injuries and also how to properly use tools. The supervisors that i had the honor of working under gave me guidance on certain trades that i was interested in. My co-workers were hardworking, we always worked as a team to fulfill the needs of our contractors. There really wasn't any hard parts of the job. the most enjoyable parts was all the experience that i gained.
you will learn a lot working for the CCC
corps member (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 20, 2014
I learned a lot working here. the hardest part was hot days, but i enjoyed working outside and learning everything i learnd
Productive and fun work place
California Conservation Corps - Conservationist (Former Employee), National City, CANovember 20, 2014
Pros: health care
Cons: time
Providing assistance on managing, improving maintenance and protecting wildlife habitats recreational parks, alongside Caltrans ,trail building.

Learning developing skills, strong team work ethic. Leading, helping ,showing. Hands on power tools ,hand tools, strong lifts.

The love for nature, free spirit.
good place to work
Food Preparer (Former Employee), CANovember 18, 2014
working for the conservation corps was an intressting experiance but it was all a dog eat dog work place very one wants to be the favorite and the staff arnt so nice unless you stay on there good sides
Productive and fun environment
Corp Member (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CANovember 14, 2014
Pros: certify you with alot of certification
Cons: spikes
The hardest part about this job would have to be the spike. Where we would have to go to a certain location and live for 8-10. I had to be up by 4:30 and prepare breakfast for my crew. After they ate i would do a morning safety meeting.
productive work
Corps Member (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: a very interesting job
Landscaping, tool maintenance, building trails, emergency response.
Expericence and Growth
Corps member (Former Employee), Napa, CANovember 12, 2014
California Conservation Corp was a fun and hard labor job. Our motto was, "Hard work, low pay, miserable conditions, and more, and the people that worked their lived by that motto. A typical day at work was landscaping enjoying the hard work with your co workers and getting through the day safe and efficiently. Our supervisors were easy to get along with as long as you did your job as a corps member. The hardest part of the job was working long hour shifts varying from 10 hour shifts on the week days or spikes or even 16 hour shifts on emergency events we would respond to such as fires or floods. The most enjoyed part of the job was getting to know your coworkers after a long day of work.

1 2 3 4 5

About California Conservation Corps

The California Conservation Corps (CCC) helps fight fires, save the environment, and respond to emergencies across the state. – Read more

California Conservation Corps Salaries

$1,200 per month

California Conservation Corps Photos

hard work
fun times with the crew
Me in front of my work station