California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Great place to begin learning animal husbandry.
Research Support Associate (Cage Wash) (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 26, 2017
Work days are always busy, and it requires efficiency. I have learned the basics of animal husbandry, and a stronger sense of communication with my supervisors. Management, is flexible with employees and needs, and is executed well. Supervisors are always open to review equipment issues, answer emails and calls effectively. Workplace culture is efficient and time adjusted. Hardest parts of the job, would be constantly removing chemical stains, and maintaining old equipment running. The most enjoyable part of the job would be small events such as speakers, and easy going co-workers.
Pros
Critter cash, and flexibility with days needed for vacation etc. Encouragement for a continued education.
Cons
N/a
Wonderful place to work
Post Doc (Former Employee) –  Pasadena CaliforniaApril 26, 2017
Caltech is a great place to be if you are a scientist or engineer. Especially if you are a post doc as I was. I can't say much about what it would be like to be faculty but if you can be a post doc or student at Caltech your should take the opportunity.
Pros
Fantastic academic environment
Cons
Supervisor support is sometimes weak.
Caltech
Security Technical Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 5, 2017
Work hard, dealing with elitist mentalities . overwork you. Wage discrimination between men and woman employees. No support from management. I'm leaving as soon I can find another job.
Excellent Institution
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 14, 2017
Days varied, people were involved and eager to work on projects.
The work kept you on your feet. Constantly learning and growing.
The pace was fast.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
45 minute lunch
Meeting proactivity
Travel Specialist - Procurement Services (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 9, 2017
Meeting proactivity is a typical work day. Friendly staff. Management is all new now. Old staff was wonderful from the top to the bottom. Enjoyed two year management program which I completed with all "A's".
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 2, 2017
I enjoyed my 10 plus years at Caltech. It's a great place to work, great benefits, pretty campus and close to many great eating locations.
Cons
210 traffic if you're coming in from Upland.
Good work environment for someone that is developing
Senior IT Auditor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 3, 2016
Good work environment for a developing individual, but few opportunities for career advancement. Overall, learned how various environments operated and have been able to interact with great people that are making strides on advancing the world. Learned how to communicate with different levels of personnel.
This is a great company to work for
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with through out the campus. Everyday I learn something new and new process to implement into our opeations. A typical day at work for me is managing many aspects of operations from creating PO for hundreds of thousand of dollars down to calling facilities for cleaning up space.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not easy to move within the organization
Really enjoyed my time at Caltech.
BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 6, 2016
Great place to work. Challenging and fun. Lots of team work. They can really use more employees to help with all of the work.
Great and beautiful campus family like atmosphere
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 12, 2016
As a Financial Assistant one of the most valuable tools i learned was my analytical skills, and some project management skills. It is not only important to get the job done timely and efficiently, but with the utmost respect for others and treating all persons the same. Being a team player and all working toward the same goals to achieve a job well done.
Pros
Great coworkers
amazing
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 25, 2016
just a great place to work. Everyone tries to help each other and the culture is great. Other than some weird institution issues it is a great place to work.
Pros
Cons
it is a university so it is starnge in very specific ways
its nice to work were the number one school in the world.
Custodian Facilities (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 28, 2016
i start working in the morning at 5:am, the place were smartest people, they will assist you anytime, different background,the hardest part of the job when we were short of people, when you meet this professor that will greet you give a nice smile.
Pros
some times
Great People
Property/Cost Studies (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2016
•Provide the accounting department a catalog of assets on campus
•Tag equipment and submit information onto excel and an online catalog
•Communicate effectively how assets are effecting CalTech
•Effectively work with multiple departments to come up with the proper audit
Pros
the people
Cons
pay
I go to school and work here
Ruddock Headwaiter (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 6, 2016
I supervised other waiters and was responsible for house dinners. I was also responsible for organizing other special events.
Very productive
A/P Lead Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Stayed very busy so the time breezed by fast.
Management could have been better.
Co-workers did not seem to get along that was the hardest part about the job, different personalities seem to clash.
Exciting, educational
Human Resources Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Extremely busy with the needs of the Faculty. Responsible for the hire of all the Faculty members, process all paperwork for hire, responsible for all their salary, benefits, retirement, leaves of absence, etc.

Learned how to write scripts, export data from one database to another, learned about data integrity and the consequences when one is slack.

Thrilling place to have worked for, friends for life, worked with people from all over the world. Learned to work with people from different religion, culture, habits, etc.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the knowledge that I received, the training on the job to know what I know and how I am able to apply it to another employer.
Pros
Upward mobiity, training that was offered, luncheons, meetings
Cons
the many lay offs
Caltech is an extraordinary place to work, and build a career
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 13, 2016
California Institute of Technology is a beautiful campus, and an extraordinary place to work. Within the last 6 months I have gained knowledge, and experience money cannot buy. My colleagues are hard working, focused, and a fun group.
Leading research institution.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 22, 2015
Intellectually stimulating place to learn, work and grow. I have enjoyed my post-doctoral experience at Caltech and would highly recommend it for a challenging and productive research experience.
The best job in the world
Asst to Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 21, 2015
Manage academic program for the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences Division. Manage graduate admissions, delineate graduate stipends, conduct new student orientation, schedule classes and TA assignments.
Best place for state-of-the-art research
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  IPACOctober 17, 2015
I was very stimulated during my time at Caltech. I liked the interested supervision, demonstrating that he cared about motivating me to be a productive researcher. On the other hand work/life balance does not seem to be a concern at Caltech.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

California Institute of Technology Reviews by Location