California Institute of Technology

California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Great School,
SMALL ANIMAL MRI TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 19, 2015
Pros: benefits, friendly enviorment
Caltech is a great school, great place to work for, lots of energy. Very family oriented. Students and staff seem to work well. I found it a very pleasant place to work for. Great benefit, incentives, and options.
N/A
Head of Facilities Group (Former Employee), Livingston, LAMarch 5, 2015
Job entailed typical facility management work. (infrastructure maintenance management and new project procurement)

Management climate was poor, Overall morale of work force was low.
Very motivating and productive place with good social situations
Staff scientist (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 9, 2015
The work environment at Caltech is very inspiring and motivating. I have learnt cut edge new technologies and my work here has been very enjoyable and productive.
Working at Caltech was a good experience after my PhD.
Place of learning and curiosity
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: a place of unlimited resouces and personal growth
Cons: once the projects are over the job continuity is not stable
The California Institute of Technology offers unlimited resources to those who work in an environment that provides tools to improve and allows the employees to grow intellectually.
The scientists and students are in in contact search for new ideas and products in order to find cures and solutions to the local, national, and worldwide population.
volunteer
Student Intern (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 6, 2015
I was doing volunteer in shockwave lab and help them to set up equipment. I love their because they provide a good opptinute to support students even volunteer to study and work for them.
nice place IF you have a PhD
Non-Faculty Job (Current Employee), PasadenaDecember 31, 2014
Pros: phd = elite godlike status
Cons: no phd = you're an idiot (but they're really nice about it)
Everyone that works on the whole campus tries to be helpful, and everyone is very nice. Beautiful campus. If you have a PhD it is assumed you can do any kind of management job, whether or not you have knowledge or experience in that area. If you don't have a PhD you're a blockhead. One time a PhD high level person explained to me alphabetical filing and not to file companies that start with "The" under "T". Also, PhD staff are paid astronomical salaries even with no experience compared to the people they're put in charge of who do the actual work. My boss left his taxes on the copier machine so we all know he makes almost four times what we do.
caltech is a very well know university and i worked at the Hanford obseratory
Facility Maintenance and Logics Technician (Former Employee), Richland, WANovember 5, 2014
I started working for Caltech as a sub-contractor and then was hired on as a employee. I served Caltech for close to 20 years total. I started off as the Janitor and advance in many different area's. I was the logistic clerk and property manager, supervisor for the technical cleaning crew. took care of all the site vehicles and a number of other different tasks. I worked with very amazing people and was hard to leave my job with all of them They were my family after so many years with Caltech.
Nice Place
Seismic Field Instrumentation Specialist (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAOctober 27, 2014
Pros: lots of time off during xmas time
Good place to work as long as funding does not run out.
Great working environment and culture
Creative, stimulating and challenging
Volunteer Researcher (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: great job benefits
Cons: not a tenure position
A creative workplace. Dealing with top scientists in the field is both stimulating and challenging. It is also fun to occasionally share your knowledge and experience with K-12 teachers and students in the classroom and lab or outdoors in a hiking trail. The hardest part of the job has been shrinking of research funds. The most enjoyable part of scientific life is when you solve a puzzle. Publishing the research result is also rewarding.
Traditionalists
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: employee benefits
Weak infrastructure, IT systems out-of-date, in need of new management approaches
Productive Workplace
Assistant Biology Laboratory Techician (Former Employee), Pasadena, CASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: having enough work to do every day, routine work, predictable schedule
Cons: poor safety equipment
A typical day required me to take inventory, clean and sanitize all equipment and troubleshoot/resolve any problems with equipment.

I learned how to work well with co-workers, maintain a clean work environment and how to work in specialized work environments

The hardest part of the job was using equipment that was not safe. Due to working in a highly sterile environment and working with animals, equipment was needed like gloves and scrubs that were durable. However, these products became cheaper and less efficient due to cuts in funds.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a routine and having good co-workers and managers to work with.
Nice people. learned alot
Administrative Aide (Current Employee), Pasadena, CASeptember 21, 2014
Most enjoyable part of job is working with nice people, learned a lot of skills
good place for work good benefits
Housing Assistant (Current Employee), Pasadena, CASeptember 6, 2014
Pros: good
Cons: not good
I dont like my job in caltech because i can not use my computer skills and my 9 years experience however its a good place for work
The Advanced LIGO project has been an exciting endeavor.
Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJune 18, 2014
The Advanced LIGO project has been an exciting endeavor that has enhanced my engineering skills which will be applied to future ventures. The ALIGO environment, training, and unique design engineering challenges have all contributed to the making of a rich engineering experience.
Team Work
Senior Cash Analyst (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAMay 13, 2014
This company provides a lot of initiative for team work. Education is also supported by management.
Unique opportunity to interact with bright people.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), PasadenaMarch 17, 2014
Great seminars featuring leading experts. Nice, relaxing campus environment. Efficient and helpful staff. Research work is mostly solitary for a theoretician. Very flexible work hours, but overwhelming work load. Minimal management from advisor, as it is understood that one is supposed to be able to define and implement goals. Some coworkers are impossible to communicate with.
A leading research institution with ground breaking projects
Temporary Instrument Specialist (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits, great pay, great work environment
Cons: too many managers working on the same project and tasks
My position at Caltech has provided me with wonderful experiences. As a temporary employee with little to know direction other than "help us complete this project," I was encouraged and allowed to thrive in a way that best fit my abilities. After tackling the bureaucratic lull that embodied my first two weeks, I found a perfect niche for my personality and skills: coordinating and managing the field efforts of our earthquake early warning installations. I was allowed to work outside, coordinate field schedules, and act as the point of contact between our contractors, field engineers, and the Network Staff at Caltech.
A good place to be but upper management doesn't communicate well
Pasadena, CA (Current Employee), ResearchJanuary 4, 2014
Caltech has a relatively relaxed work atmosphere for the non-research staff. The researchers have a lot more pressure to perform. The biggest downside is the poor communication between each administrative branch.
Program Coordinator
Customized Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Pasadena, CADecember 1, 2013
Pros: being associated with the caltech community, and the diversity of the work were both job pros.
Cons: i was expected to work long hours, including weekends and evenings, on a regular basis, i had a great deal of responsibility and yet they would not make my position a salaried position.
I worked at Caltech for 10 years as a Program Coordinator. My job entailed coordination of customized management programs for high-tech companies. I was involved in initial contact/requests for information, cost estimating, proposal writing, working with instructors to prepare program materials, production of materials, shipment of materials to customer location, after-program follow up, billing and collections, and payment of instructors. I also prepared travel arrangements, prepared travel reimbursements, coordinated office supplies ordering, processed monthly credit card reconciliation, processed payments for individuals in our programs, handled deposits.

I worked closely with the Director of the department on a daily basis.

The diversity of the types of job tasks was the best part of the job.

The most challenging part of the job was the fact that we'd once been a department of 12 people which was downsized to 2 people and so the workload was overwhelming at times. The need to work long hours and weekends on a regular basis became tedious.
interesting job with a good pay and benefits
Scientist (Current Employee), Livingston, LADecember 1, 2013
Typical day at work:
1) check if the computing cluster is working;
2) check e-mail for any user issues;
3) fix whatever needs to be fixed;
4) do science the rest of the day.

1 2 3