California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews in United States

amazing
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 25, 2016
just a great place to work. Everyone tries to help each other and the culture is great. Other than some weird institution issues it is a great place to work.
Pros
Cons
it is a university so it is starnge in very specific ways
its nice to work were the number one school in the world.
Custodian Facilities (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 28, 2016
i start working in the morning at 5:am, the place were smartest people, they will assist you anytime, different background,the hardest part of the job when we were short of people, when you meet this professor that will greet you give a nice smile.
Pros
some times
Great People
Property/Cost Studies (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2016
•Provide the accounting department a catalog of assets on campus
•Tag equipment and submit information onto excel and an online catalog
•Communicate effectively how assets are effecting CalTech
•Effectively work with multiple departments to come up with the proper audit
Pros
the people
Cons
pay
Great stepping stone
Tier 2 Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 29, 2016
CalTech strongly focuses on employee appreciation. Unfortunately, the employee pay structure and customer contract structure is set up for failure. With 110% focus on efficiency, CalTech management is more concerned with how many hours are billed toward an issue rather than resolving it. "Band-aid" fixes are encouraged just to mark an issue as "complete" and move on. Pay is also based on San Angelo TX, where the corporate office is, and cost of living is significantly lower. This causes issues in the more populated areas, such as Dallas and Austin
Pros
Employee appreciation
Cons
Pay, billable hour structure
I go to school and work here
Ruddock Headwaiter (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 6, 2016
I supervised other waiters and was responsible for house dinners. I was also responsible for organizing other special events.
Very productive
A/P Lead Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Stayed very busy so the time breezed by fast.
Management could have been better.
Co-workers did not seem to get along that was the hardest part about the job, different personalities seem to clash.
Exciting, educational
Human Resources Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Extremely busy with the needs of the Faculty. Responsible for the hire of all the Faculty members, process all paperwork for hire, responsible for all their salary, benefits, retirement, leaves of absence, etc.

Learned how to write scripts, export data from one database to another, learned about data integrity and the consequences when one is slack.

Thrilling place to have worked for, friends for life, worked with people from all over the world. Learned to work with people from different religion, culture, habits, etc.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the knowledge that I received, the training on the job to know what I know and how I am able to apply it to another employer.
Pros
Upward mobiity, training that was offered, luncheons, meetings
Cons
the many lay offs
Caltech is an extraordinary place to work, and build a career
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 13, 2016
California Institute of Technology is a beautiful campus, and an extraordinary place to work. Within the last 6 months I have gained knowledge, and experience money cannot buy. My colleagues are hard working, focused, and a fun group.
Leading research institution.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 22, 2015
Intellectually stimulating place to learn, work and grow. I have enjoyed my post-doctoral experience at Caltech and would highly recommend it for a challenging and productive research experience.
The best job in the world
Asst to Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 21, 2015
Manage academic program for the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences Division. Manage graduate admissions, delineate graduate stipends, conduct new student orientation, schedule classes and TA assignments.

Want to know more about California Institute of Technology?

Ask a question
Best place for state-of-the-art research
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  IPACOctober 17, 2015
I was very stimulated during my time at Caltech. I liked the interested supervision, demonstrating that he cared about motivating me to be a productive researcher. On the other hand work/life balance does not seem to be a concern at Caltech.
Warning: Not as great as their reputation
Low Wage Worker (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 15, 2015
I've succeeded at every company I've worked for, including some of the top businesses in the country, because I give 110% everyday. I figured this would be a boon for me to work at such a highly regarding institution. I was WRONG!!! The management is unsupportive and passive aggressive, the pay is very low, the health benefits are subpar and expensive, there is zero room for advancement, no employee incentive program and the HR department likes to sweep conflicts under the rug to maintain the institutions "reputation". After 25 years of working for various companies, this is by far the worst place I've worked. The only reason why I stay is for the expensive health benefits because I have a child with a medical condition so I am currently stuck at this horrible job. The only saving grace is the co-workers who, unsurprisingly, are also looking for other jobs because of the poor working conditions and culture. To get me to join their "team", I was promised advancement and growth opportunities that never happened. There is never enough money in the budget to give raises. Apparently, there never was or ever will be any money in the budget for raises. They are famous for spending their money on hard costs like installing new doors and awnings but not for soft costs like employee raises. God forbid you actually have happy employees. The turnaround in my department is at least 50%. Yes, 50% of the people that start in my department leave after 1 year. Terrible statistics. Most people is my department do not like the management but stick it out with the hopes that the contract for the  more... head of the department will not be renewed. We are praying for that day.  less
Pros
Mostly nice co-workers
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, no incentives, high healthcare costs
Beautiful Campus and strong ethical direction
Development Gifts and Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 8, 2015
After working a year, I applaud their ability to procure quality talent for the institution. Though there are areas in which growth is needed, CalTech is wonderful place to work
Flexible schdeule
Certified Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 30, 2015
Daily routing working with lab animals. Interacting with post-Phd researchers. Working with variety of lab animals. We provide excellent care for the animals.
Great School,
SMALL ANIMAL MRI TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 19, 2015
Caltech is a great school, great place to work for, lots of energy. Very family oriented. Students and staff seem to work well. I found it a very pleasant place to work for. Great benefit, incentives, and options.
Pros
benefits, friendly enviorment
N/a
Head of Facilities Group (Former Employee) –  Livingston, LAMarch 5, 2015
Job entailed typical facility management work. (infrastructure maintenance management and new project procurement)

Management climate was poor, Overall morale of work force was low.
Very motivating and productive place with good social situations
Staff scientist (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 9, 2015
The work environment at Caltech is very inspiring and motivating. I have learnt cut edge new technologies and my work here has been very enjoyable and productive.
Working at Caltech was a good experience after my PhD.
Place of learning and curiosity
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2015
The California Institute of Technology offers unlimited resources to those who work in an environment that provides tools to improve and allows the employees to grow intellectually.
The scientists and students are in in contact search for new ideas and products in order to find cures and solutions to the local, national, and worldwide population.
Pros
a place of unlimited resouces and personal growth
Cons
once the projects are over the job continuity is not stable
volunteer
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 6, 2015
I was doing volunteer in shockwave lab and help them to set up equipment. I love their because they provide a good opptinute to support students even volunteer to study and work for them.
nice place IF you have a PhD
Non-Faculty Job (Current Employee) –  PasadenaDecember 31, 2014
Everyone that works on the whole campus tries to be helpful, and everyone is very nice. Beautiful campus. If you have a PhD it is assumed you can do any kind of management job, whether or not you have knowledge or experience in that area. If you don't have a PhD you're a blockhead. One time a PhD high level person explained to me alphabetical filing and not to file companies that start with "The" under "T". Also, PhD staff are paid astronomical salaries even with no experience compared to the people they're put in charge of who do the actual work. My boss left his taxes on the copier machine so we all know he makes almost four times what we do.
Pros
phd = elite godlike status
Cons
no phd = you're an idiot (but they're really nice about it)

California Institute of Technology Reviews by Location