California Pizza Kitchen Employee Reviews in United States

Great atmosphere
Host/Takeout (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day/night at work as a host consisted of no more than three hosts, each assigned to a specific job. My duty was to act as the "leader", which means I was pretty much in charge of the flow of the entire restaurant. I quoted wait times, proposed a seating plan, all while greeting and accommodating guests. It got quite stressful at times, but I soon became accustomed to the fast-paced work environment. The managers were usually very helpful and understanding. At takeout, I would arrive and immediately check for any catering orders, in which I would have to package all the food items and get them ready before the restaurant opened. During a typical day at the takeout counter, I would receive quite a few orders both in person and through the fax machine. I would enter the orders into the system and complete all of them once the food was handed to the customer. The hardest part of the job was to manage taking and entering multiple orders, while also being responsible for packing the food and organizing the orders with no assistance.
Pros
Helpful and Kind Management
Cons
No pay raise, no other opportunities
Marketing & Financial Analyst
Business Planning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 10, 2015
I reviewed marketing promotions to determine whether they were successful or not. I also reviewed various financial data scenarios to determine company financial strategy.

I enjoyed the people I worked with and the different duties that were presented to me to accomplish. I enjoy working on project based work and strategizing to come up with the best information for the department.

The hardest part of project based work is making sure you ask the right questions to streamline the work process. With my auditing background, I learned to ask many questions and research before jumping to any conclusions.
Pros
Worked with Top Management and learned their strategic thinking skills
Cons
No health benefits as this was a consultant job.
productive in the sense of life
Server, Hostess, and Delivery/take-out services (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 3, 2016
You meet a lot of different people, most who are just hungry but the quality of serves goes more than just a salad or pizza. The sense of taking more than just coming into a restaurant but more coming into a friends house to eat!
Pros
people you serve, values of work
Cons
healthcare, Advancement, pay rate, quality management
Fun place to work with great people and great management!
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 7, 2016
Enjoyable days mostly. I learned more about pizza and the oven temps to not burn the bottom. Nice and understanding management. My co-workers were funny, knew the job and how to get it done, reasonable and understanding, nice and made me feel right at home even at work. The hardest part was remembering the recipes. Making customers happy and satisfied.
Pros
Free lunches, working with friends, worked in the mall, learned more about the culinary arts.
Cons
Short breaks, ran out of indgrediants sometimes.
Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2016
I enjoyed my time at California Pizza Kitchen, it was a great to serve and bar tend. I enjoyed the management and culture. I also loved the food!
Food, Fun, Fast Paced
WAITRESS/HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 19, 2015
A typical day working with California Pizza Kitchen consisted of serving tables and tending to customers dining needs. Although the environment was fast-paced, it was never overwhelming and you felt supported by a great team. The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely meeting new people. I gained a great deal of personal self confidence from my experience with CPK.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits, fun environment
Cons
limited work/life balance, demanding work schedule
Great first restaurant experience
Host/Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2016
As my first host and serving positions, this was a great company to start off with in this industry. I put in about 8 years between 2 locations and thought I would be a lifer, until an opportunity that I could not resist came along. I learned much of what I know now from my years with this company; from the front door to the back and everything in-between. The staff was generally always upbeat and, being a family environment, we had a well rounded clientele, of which, I grew to be friends with many and felt as though I had a huge new addition to my family. The hardest part was leaving my new family addition, but happily I ended up working with a handful of co-workers at different restaurant companies over the years and was able to continue those relationships. The management was always available and willing to assist with any and all needs from guest and employees.
Pros
Great food, family atmosphere, excellent benefits and perks.
Overall
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the service industry for these past four years. I would come in and instantly have to communicate and help customers, as well as help my co-workers. This job has help me better my communication skill as well as multitasking skills. My current managers are great and are always willing to help out. I have dealt with not so great managers in the past though. The hardest part of the job is just extreme multitasking, making sure that not only my tables are doing well but also my co-workers. I get along with all my co-workers, I have never had a problem with anyone I have worked with in the service industry. The most enjoyable part of the job is the tips and the satisfaction of the customers.
Pros
Quick Money
Cons
Unreliable
Inconsistent and stressful environment
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 10, 2016
I was new to serving when I got hired at CPK. While there were one or two servers that were welcoming to me, I found most to be unhelpful and a bit callous. The management was inconsistent and servers were not given the benefit of the doubt when altercations arose. Machines broke, cooks quit, food items ran out nightly. I ended up quitting to focus more on my studies, and although they were very sad to see me go and said they would welcome me back any time, the overall stressful and hostile environment, I believe, is not worth a return. It may be I was just not cut out to be a server.
Great starting restaurant
Server/Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 1, 2015
The training for new/inexperienced servers is great.
I feel like the culture and environment is greater than other restaurants I've experienced, and it's more of a close family, little to no drama.
Management was pretty consistent, which is also unusual for most restaurants, so that helped keep things going smoothly. Management definitely had their favorites and favored specific servers, but if you did your job and did it to the company standards, you would get good shifts and have some flexibility in your schedule.
Hardest part of the job is just general customer service- dealing with angry customers for issues out of your control, running out of food on occasion (dough, veggies, etc.)
Potential to be promoted to management.
Pros
Employee meals, nice family style restaurant, good co workers and management
Cons
inconsistent hours/breaks, obviously depending on tips, insurance options
Great food, management, co-workers, and a great company in general.
Server, Bartender, Caterer, Store Trainer (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXDecember 18, 2015
A typical day at work was pretty similar to what you would expect from any restaurant job: find out what section you have, find out what your side work is, take tables in your section. This particular store had a consistent traffic flow throughout the week, being relatively slow during the week and then lines out the door for the weekends.

I learned a lot from this job, it was the first job that I worked over a year at. It was this job that taught me how to work hard under pressure, especially when dealing with customers. No matter how crazy the shift gets, you can't show that to the guests. They are there to have a nice time, and you can't ruin that for them by being a panicked mess. Working at California Pizza Kitchen also taught me how to work hard and move up in a company. I started as a server, and ended up in a position where I could have moved into Management if I wanted. I chose instead to pursue an academic career instead of spending the rest of my life in restaurants.

Management at CPK varied depending on the manager on duty, but generally they cared about their restaurant, their employees, and their guests. They were knowledgeable and helpful, and provided opportunities for me to learn new things in the store.

Servers in a restaurant become a kind of family, as you suffer through many hard days and nights together. As a server you constantly have to deal with the uncertainty of income because of slow days or bad tippers, but when you work with great people it makes it worth it.
Pros
Great co-workers and management, great food at a discount.
Cons
Unpredictability of traffic and income due to being a tipped position.
Productive place with nice people but can be very stressfull
Fine Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAJune 27, 2016
I have worked at the Beverly Hills, Culver City and Valencia CPK. All of the are nice to work for. Managers are reasonable and don't expect too much but it is a restaurant and things can get extremely hectic. Sometimes you are not always stocked with everything you need or things aren't quite prepared and when that happens it can be a nightmare. Overall its a good place to work and I would recommend it. Also depends on how many shifts you can get.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
no benefits, slow days
Great opportunity to learn customer service
FOH Staff (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2016
CPK has been more than a job for the last 5 years, it's been a second home. Management has been more than supportive in every situation. I've been given opportunities to learn and grow in the food service industry and I feel I've learned many of the hard and soft skills needed to move on to any field. I thank CPK for helping me learn and a grow not only as a young professional but as a person as well.
Pros
Flexible schedule, dynamic atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks, on your feet for long hours
Overall Awesome Place to Work
Counter Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAJuly 9, 2016
I worked at CPK for almost two years. I spent most at of that time at my first location. I loved it! My GM and Kitchen Managers were awesome, my coworkers were great too. When I transferred to another location after moving, which is a really cool thing CPK does, it changed. Maybe it was just me but the second location never felt like a team, it wasn't about great customer service, it was all about PPA. (per person average) Great company overall, just depends on the location.
Excellent upbeat restaurant to work for
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 12, 2016
This particular job was very enjoyable. Upper management was consistently boosting team moral. Everyone worked together to make sure every customer had the absolute best experience. I thoroughly enjoyed the fast paced environment, and made a ton of life long friendships. My favorite part would have to have been my bar tending shifts, for the fact that you came across such a diverse group of individuals.
Pros
excellent discounts
benefits
Not Too Bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 14, 2016
Overall I enjoyed working at CPK. It took a while to get comfortable working there and with my coworkers, however everyone was very nice and helpful when I needed it.
The worst part was probably the customers; having a 20 top of teenagers and receiving no tip but still having to tip out on their order (CPK does NOT do auto gratuity). Or people who are stuck-up and think you are beneath them because you work as a waiter/waitress.
Management is really awesome as they do everything they can to accommodate your schedule and at CPK you have the ability to to "swap shifts" or completely release them for someone else to pick up.
productive and fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAMarch 23, 2016
very good work place, with room for growth. Friendly coworkers great management. very flexible hours and willing to work with students.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks
Not what it used to be
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJSeptember 10, 2015
An amazing company to work for before the new CEO.
THE BEST company training in the business, impressive reporting and analytical instruments to help trouble shoot operational opportunities.
Culture - the best in the business

After Golden Gate capital took over- Everything began to go down hill and continues to do so. Core of employees who helped build the company are cast aways now. SAD transformation
STill wish them the best
Pros
pay, training
Cons
work life balance is more like work work balance
was a very nice place and management was very kind
Server's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 5, 2016
CPK is a very nice place and the management is very kind and understanding. A great perk is the discounted food rates while on shift.
great place to work!
Server (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CANovember 6, 2015
a typical day at California Pizza Kitchen included doing pre-side work for the day, setting up my area for success, and getting to it. Greeting guests, serving people, seating people, basically the standard restaurant tasks. the end of the day, I would be finishing up with side work and cleaning. I learned the art of multitasking and thinking quickly on my feet to obtain the most optimal working space. management was fantastic and always helpful and supportive. my co-workers rocked!!! i'm glad to have worked with them. we hand a great time together. the hardest part of the job was having to do multiple tasks at once for hours on end at high levles of intensity. the most enjoyable was the people, the energy and the non-stop work. i loved it!
Pros
the experience of the service industry
Cons
a lot of work for not the best pay

California Pizza Kitchen Reviews by Location