California Pizza Kitchen Employee Reviews

Wonderful work environment, great co workers
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, OHSeptember 29, 2015
Loved this company very family oriented great with schedule, supportive management, great opportunities to grow with in the company.
Fantastic Work Environment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDSeptember 23, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at the company and feel as though the communication between management and the employees is very good. Having recently gone through a renovation at my branch, I feel that the vision of the corporate office is positive and in touch with the wants and desires of the customers. We completely remodeled the inside of the restaurant and introduced a whole new menu which will be sure to keep customers from growing tired of the same options and encourage them to come back for more. Overall, I am happy with the company and proud to be a part of it.
Great Place to work.
Trainer/Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 17, 2015
California Pizza Kitchen takes pride in their food and it shows through their business. They always go above and beyond to ensure a guest has a great experience. Managers really love what they do and they take care of their employees.
Great job but they cut my pay
Host, Dish, Busboy, Stock (Former Employee) –  NJSeptember 17, 2015
I worked more than 3 different positions while employed there. I have been a host, a busboy, I used to put away the shipments, and organize certain parts of the kitchen. I also would help wash dishes if it became too busy. Doing almost anything necessary to help the team. Then another company bought it and slashed the wages of those employed. I stayed on as long as I could but needed money.
Pros
I loved the people that worked there, I still go by to say hello
Cons
they cut my wages
Fast paced working environment
Busser / host (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 17, 2015
Management was not the best at California pizza kitchen but the employees always worked together to make the day run smoothly.
Opportunity's were always available to move up in the company. I became a busser and server in a matter of 6 months.
Not what it used to be
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJSeptember 10, 2015
An amazing company to work for before the new CEO.
THE BEST company training in the business, impressive reporting and analytical instruments to help trouble shoot operational opportunities.
Culture - the best in the business

After Golden Gate capital took over- Everything began to go down hill and continues to do so. Core of employees who helped build the company are cast aways now. SAD transformation
STill wish them the best
Pros
pay, training
Cons
work life balance is more like work work balance
My Favorite Job
waitress (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, ILSeptember 8, 2015
I worked with CPK for 3 years and I created a family there. I loved the job so much I would've stayed had I not moved to Chicago. I did commute for 8 months, but between gas, travel time, new owners who bought it out, and my favorite GM/person in the world leaving, there was nothing left for me to make it worth it. I would go back if I didn't still live in the city, but I love Chicago more.
Pros
everything
Cons
having to leave
KITCHEN MANAGER / ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  WellingtonSeptember 4, 2015
California Pizza Kitchen was my favorite job for so long. When new investors bought this company they started to change what made CPK special. I ran the Kitchen as a Kitchen Manager and made sure food production and number were being maintained at the highest level.
Great starting restaurant
Server/Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 1, 2015
The training for new/inexperienced servers is great.
I feel like the culture and environment is greater than other restaurants I've experienced, and it's more of a close family, little to no drama.
Management was pretty consistent, which is also unusual for most restaurants, so that helped keep things going smoothly. Management definitely had their favorites and favored specific servers, but if you did your job and did it to the company standards, you would get good shifts and have some flexibility in your schedule.
Hardest part of the job is just general customer service- dealing with angry customers for issues out of your control, running out of food on occasion (dough, veggies, etc.)
Potential to be promoted to management.
Pros
Employee meals, nice family style restaurant, good co workers and management
Cons
inconsistent hours/breaks, obviously depending on tips, insurance options
It was a job
Dishwasher, Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIAugust 23, 2015
My positions daily routine included washing dishes, and preparing food to be plated and served to customers, and keeping my area clean
Fun, relaxed environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 18, 2015
California Pizza Kitchen will always have a special place in my heart. After working there for over 6 years I learned the values of teamwork and loving what you do. Due to recent management changes we decided to part ways but I will always love the company and the values they instill. A typical day at work was fast paced, full of laughter, and an incredible amount of teamwork. I always walked into a staff that felt like family and the people that work there honestly enjoy their jobs which always makes for a much better work day.
Pros
Cheap lunches, friendly staff
Cons
Management Change
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 16, 2015
Greeting and seating guest, answering telephone, food-running/bussing when needed, cleaning and organizing work area, setting up wait list.
Pros
Discount on food, experience for other jobs
Cons
A fun place to work, great way to learn to serve. Not the best for money.
Manager- Ruben Escobar (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILAugust 11, 2015
I'm glad that I started serving here, but I definitely needed to move up when it came down to money and company organization. At least at the store I was at, the management was like a revolving door and it was very difficult to get anything done. I often got called off work within minutes of being scheduled OR I was even in the building and they told me to go home because they forgot to call me ahead of time.
That may just have been the management at that store specifically, and it was definitely a good, fun and relaxing place to learn how to serve but it was not nearly as efficient as I needed.
Pros
Fun environment, good food, short work day
Cons
low bills= low tips, management
Wonderful Place to Work
Busser (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 6, 2015
It was a wonderful place to work. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the field. I loved going into work everyday!
Great company
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJuly 28, 2015
I spent minimal time with CPK, however I highly enjoyed it. The staff and management were very friendly, the environment was outstanding.

A typical work day was 10 hours. Simple menu, easy to manage.
I learned how to make pizzas!!! and loved it!

I did not view CPK as difficult at all. Very welcoming and family friendly environment.
na
Trainer and Host (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2015
Working for the restaurant was amazing, The staff is swift and attentive to the guest and tasks. I learn to be brisk with timely orders. I love the customer appreciation from the new comers,
Fun working place, too easy to make friends
Food prep, dishwasher, serve, host (Former Employee) –  Denver coloradoJuly 13, 2015
I loved working here everyone was friendly. some people didn't take the job as serious as they should have. A lot of the employees weren't sobor 100 percent of the time
Pros
Free food, easy breaks
Cons
Not many benifits
Family atmosphere with great pizzas.
Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CaliforniaJuly 13, 2015
A typical day would begin with a pre-shift focus. We would go over daily promotions and goals. This was my first and longest running store as a server. I learned about hospitality in general. How to treat guests and the proper steps of service. This company is great and allowed me to transfer locations easily. Once I, found work closer to home, I took a leave of absence.
Productive, team-oriented, fast paced, enjoyable work environment.
Server (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 11, 2015
This job is very team-oriented from Management level down to the hostesses and bussers. This position allows for tons of customer service and independent growth. The atmosphere is multi-cultural and fun. CPK is an exciting work environment with a great potential for growth if you are willing to dedicate yourself.
Productive and fun place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJuly 4, 2015
Great team members and I was always excited and and happy to be going to work. Only negative thing I have to say is that management was constantly fighting.