California Pizza Kitchen Employee Reviews

Overall was pretty fun
Server (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 20, 2017
They had a great culture which i loved most about it. When i first started it was like the most fun job i ever had. We started of our shifts with group meetings and competitions on how to get free food or gifts.
Pros
free lunches and gift cards, and even money.
Cons
My favorite G.M left ):
Fun but we aren't perfect
Cook (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 20, 2017
It's a fun environment to work in. Most days it doesn't feel like I am working but also have to stay busy even during slow periods.there is favoritism
Pros
50% off 1 meal
Cons
When you double you don't usually get a break
Not what I expected
Busser/Server (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 19, 2017
An enormous amount of work that has nothing to do with your job title. Management was insufficient and lacked any form of sustainability due to the fact certain managers decided to leave early for whatever reason.
Pros
good tips
Cons
terrible managment
Fun workplace with good coworkers
server (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2017
usually well staffed so servers aren't overwhelmed. attentive managers help gauge the flow of customers to ensure not over or understaffed. managers work well with staff to make it a pleasant place for all.
Pros
discounted meals
Poor Management and training program
Sales, Customer Service, Service Professional (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2017
Poor training program, rude managers with no teaching ability. They literally throw you into the position and just let you sink and fail. The assnt manager is rude, a controlling individual
Pros
Cons
many
Great first job experience.
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 17, 2017
This was my first serving job and was a perfect fit. Fast paced at times though relaxed enough of an environment for me to learn and grow as a server.
Good people. Good food.
Server (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 17, 2017
California pizza kitchen is a good place to work. Unlike most restaurants the turnover isn't high. You get half off food while you're working, and 20% when off work.
Work for the company with a heart
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 8, 2017
CPK is by far one of the best restaurants I've ever worked for. The money is good, co-workers are like-minded and friendly, and management is efficient yet personable. Corporate has all kinds of incentives for their employees, including having a "kindness fund" that is made available to employees who have fallen on hard times and could use a little help. Loyalty is rewarded at CPK and hard-work is appreciated. This company is a rare gem in the service industry.
Pros
Amicable work environment, discounted meals, Decent money
Cons
Scheduling can be difficult in terms of hours
Positive and face paced work place
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAJuly 7, 2017
I learned how to be a mature and responsible adult through utilize my managing skills. The climate ranged from families to children. very supportive team.
Pros
Awesome atmosphere
Cons
healthcare
Awful company.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAJuly 6, 2017
Great place to work if you enjoy 12 hour shifts with no break, managers who don't do their jobs, and cockroaches and rats everywhere. The staff was the only redeeming quality about this job and the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Managers never ordered enough stock, so we'd run out of nearly everything all the time. We ran out of pizza boxes at least once a week. What kind of pizza place runs out of pizza boxes? There's so much more but I don't feel like spending 6 hours typing.
Pros
fun staff
Cons
poor management, awful pay, awful hours, no breaks (for bartenders working double shift, servers got breaks), rude customers, and so much more.
Fun place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 6, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company. My manager was nice and supportive. I felt welcome here. I enjoyed doing a good job and being able to make other people happy. I was employee of the month twice!
Pros
Food discounts
Great workplace to begin your restaurant career
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Lynnfield, MAJuly 2, 2017
A typical day at work as a pizza chef in the morning, was you get in check the prep list if it is not made you make the prep list. Prep the food and get ready for the morning shift making sure you have enough of everything.
In this area there was a lot of room for learning and improvement and the management as well as other staff members were always eager to help.
The culture was very diverse and I appreciated learning from the different cultures that made up our restaurants unique food culture.
The hardest part would be when it gets busy as in any other restaurant adrenaline is high and so are tempers.
Most enjoyable part was creating pizzas that made the customers go wow!
Pros
Food, Employees
Cons
Hours, lack of staffing at certain times
Productive Workplace
Waiter/Takeout (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 30, 2017
A typical day at work offers many laughs and revies with fellow co-workers, from very explicit menus there's much to learn and to forget. Work here allows management and boh and foh to operate smoothly
Great way to start your experience
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 29, 2017
Great way to gain some experience in the work field, management is usually on point and will always have your back what ever you need. Scheduling is usually based on performance as well, so they don't play favorites when it comes to scheduling since they want there top performers to handle high volume. Opportunities to advance is plentiful if interested in different areas of restaurant.

At my location however, bartenders have to share a pool with bussers and hostess when it comes to server tipouts, making it unmotivating to make server drinks since bartenders will make very little off server drinks.

Great for gaining experience for bartending, but stick with serving since tipout is low and you keep a LOT of your tips.
Pros
Flexible, experience, advancement
Cons
No food runners, everyone runs food, server tipout
Family like atmosphere, fair management, hard workers.
Takeout, host (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJune 28, 2017
I've worked at multiple restaurants and this was easily my favorite for multiple reasons. They embrace each worker like family, but also expect you to hold your weight. If you mess up they do more teaching than punishing, but aren't afraid to punish if you don't make an effort to fix your mistakes.
Awesome place to work
Bartender/Trainer/Server (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2017
this job helped me find myself and grow into a better person while making money at the same time. It embodies the everyday core values you need to make it in your day to day life.
Exciting fast paced work environment, low amount of work hours
Host (Current Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIJune 26, 2017
Great location to work at, good management, awesome co workers! The performance based schedule is stressful. Very high expectations from management, errors will result in less hours. Inconsistent schedule, fun place to work.
management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2017
Everything was decent in the beginning but we lost a great manager who cared about the staff and made sure EVERYONE made money, after she left the place went down, terrible management and no respect for the employees
Pros
nothing
Cons
management and money
Alternative dinning expierence
Host/Dine (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 26, 2017
All around alright place to work, although the wages for the amount of physical labor could be higher. Everything else about the establishment was average.
Pros
Half off on lunches after work days
Cons
Poor management
Fun work place with great people but pay is a little low
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJune 25, 2017
In the mall so they close early, people are great and always room to move up in the company, some nights are good pay but often for a couple weeks straight business will be slow
Pros
Half off food and great people
Cons
Poor pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Pizza Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.

California Pizza Kitchen Reviews by Location