California Pizza Kitchen Employee Reviews

It's your typical serving job
Server (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJuly 2, 2015
This company actually has a very intense training program for all front of house positions. However, if you can pass that, it is a fun and mostly relaxed environment. The hours can be rough, but only because you are constantly moving and on your feet. The food is great and so are the people I worked with.
Pros
Discounts and regular customers
Cons
Scheduling requested days off is a challenge
California Pizza Kitchen
Chef (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAJune 30, 2015
A typical day was getting to work at 6am and starting prep for the early shift and afternoon shift. The prep consist of pasta, poultry, seafood, and vegetables. The prep usually took roughly 4 hours, and doors opened at 11am. The afternoon shift came in at 2:30pm so they would prep the evening prep.

The only learning was to learn new recipes.

Management was great because when times got busy they would assist with cooking and the prep.

Hardest part of the job the heat when cooking.

The most enjoyable part is the results when the customers eat your food and you get compliments to the chef.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay not great
Both high and low volume-paced waitressing
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Westfarms Mall, Farmington, CtJune 30, 2015
A typical work day includes communicating with guests using a standard sequence of service and balancing their needs with the timing of the kitchen as well as helping other teammates out when necessary. Management would help facilitate the flow of the restaurant however due to the guest-catering nature of the food industry management would often overload the wait and kitchen staff. The co-workers I had were often helpful during shifts because of the collaborative environment that was encouraged. The hardest part of the job was when the one or more aspects of the restaurant became unbalanced. Whenever one facet within the establishment "crashed" the rest would struggle to make up for the disconnect. the most enjoyable aspect of the job was the social interactions between guests and employees.
Pros
free employee meals, community attitudes
Cons
healthcare not easily attainable, no guaranteed exit time on schedule
Chaotic and managed poorly.
Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJune 30, 2015
Wasn't treated fairly and was told to quit after I put in for vacation time to visit home while my husband was deployed. Overall work experience was poor.
Decent place to work
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZJune 28, 2015
Nothing real stands out both negatively or positively about CPK. Salary managers are overworked but that is a given for anybody who is salaried in the hospitality field.
Pros
Dine out cards
Cons
LONG hours
Fun workplace but inconsistent
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2015
Great job while in college but not enough money to live off. Not a bad job to be a server... I enjoy the half off employee meals
Productive and fun work place with opportunity to grow
Hostess/Server Assistant/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2015
On my typical day at work at California Pizza Kitchen, I am either in dining room bussing tables and filling ice and glass stations on both ends of the restaurant or I am at the host stand seating guests and monitoring the wait list while still attending to the needs of other guests in the restaurant. Sometimes, I am in the kitchen washing dishes every now and then or upon request, or I am cutting up fresh fruits and vegetables, cleaning up left over food and removing other trash and debris, or I am stocking and receiving food items and putting them away for storage. I learned how to mulitask and better perform all areas of my job functions well under pressure. I also learned how to work well as a team and better communicate with other in order to carry out restaurant goals for the day.
Great experience
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Tumon, GUJune 22, 2015
Awesome work experience! You meet diversity of people. Great experience. Learned a lot and handled all kinds of people and situations. Getting nice tips from generous customers is the most enjoyable part of the job because you know you're doing great.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJune 14, 2015
I am a server at California Pizza Kitchen and am very pleased with the way they were willing to be so flexible with my school schedule before I graduated in May 2015 with my B.A. In Environmental Studies. It is a fun place to work that really focuses on the value of teamwork. I found i thrive very well in these atmospheres. The most enjoyable part pf the job has to be the guests that i serve. I love customer service and meting new people from all walks of life. At times, particularly in season during the winter months the job could get a bit stressful due to high customer volume and cranky guests due to long wait times for tables. By the end of the meal they were always wowed however with the food and service.
Pros
Good Team
Cons
healthcare avaliability
great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 10, 2015
CPK is a company that focus on giving an excellent customer service and serving excellent food. I really learned a lot from my manager and coworkers.
nice and fun place to work
Busser (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 10, 2015
california pizza kitchen its like my second home and i really miss my co workers. very friendly atmosphere. great experience
Great co-workers, fun atmosphere.
Host (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 8, 2015
A typical day of work would consist of showing up eager to work with your coworkers. When you clock in you were thrown right into the normal routine; fast, fun, and always exciting. I learned that a host is a hard position to have because you need to be a people person to the customers but also the servers. The hardest part of the job is answering the phones during rush hour at night. It would be best if takeout would do this for you, but instead you have to answer phones back to back while seating and taking reservations. The most enjoyable part is being apart of the restaurant team and having such great coworkers, also the pay.
Cons
Shifts aren't that long.
family oriented enviroment
server (Current Employee) –  town square las vegasJune 8, 2015
Working at California Pizza Kitchen has help me gain more experience in excellent customer service, we are all about team work in order to provide our guest every single time with a grate experience. Ive also gained grate friends!
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
a whole deal of pressure
fun work place
Take out/Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Encino, CAJune 7, 2015
amazing place to work. very friendly management. the customers are great and you will get to know a lot of good people that are always willing to help you grow
great company
host (Current Employee) –  las vegas nvJune 2, 2015
i love everybody in this place all the people are very nice friendly all the costumers are very polite and they like the service and the food is very good all the manager really care about the costumers and the workers i love all of them
Was an enjoyable expereince until I was laid off
Busser (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 29, 2015
Was an enjoyable work expereince for as long as I was there, the job proved hectic and apparently beyond my abilities, but nonetheless the job was satisfying and most of my co workers were very pleasant.
Pros
Co Workers and Food
Cons
Being Laid off, Hectic work pace
Dishwasher/Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAMay 27, 2015
Fun fast paced environment bringing people together with friendly staff members
Co workers very helpful to new employees as well as guests
Great concept
Kitchen Manager/ New Store Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIMay 22, 2015
Interesting place to work for. Great concept and friendly work environment. Always changing and developing menu that will keep anyone's interest.
Pros
Great people
Easy going environment however busy.
Host (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 20, 2015
This is where I was a hostess. A pretty simple obligation only requiring a few tasks to be completed during the work shift. I would seat customers or direct them to the takeout counter. Often I would be required to inform customers of food specials and changes to our regular menu. I also provided customers with information pertaining to their questions and interest.
Pros
Great food and easy going
Cons
Getting used to helping servers was confusing as I was never trained in assisting them.
Fun and profitable place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 15, 2015
The work was hard, physically and mentally but the profits were well worth it. The culture was great for a college student and I would highly recommend them as a employer.