California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
A Terrible Place To Be. Lecturer
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMay 6, 2017
Thanks to the faculty union, the benefits are good. Unfortunately, the union isn't strong enough to improve other working conditions. Faculty, especially lecturers, are treated like fast food employees. Administrators care about their own salaries and careers, and not students, faculty or staff--so student fees and administrative salaries soar while faculty and staff salaries stagnate.

It is the most unethical place I have ever worked, filled with people who lie and cheat the system for personal gain. There are numerous employees, including department chairs, who have committed ethical infractions (e.g.sexually harassing a student) without serious consequences. Other employees (especially lecturers) with excellent performance records are terminated just for disagreeing with an administrator.

The vast majority of faculty do nothing when they discover a student is cheating (and student cheating is rampant) and some even laughingly tell stories about their own children cheating in school.

I am so glad I no longer work there. If you are a lecturer, don't plan on a long, satisfying career at Cal Poly.
Pros
Cal Poly provides good benefits, decent students, and a nice location.
Cons
Administrators are promoted based on their willingness to do as they are told to do, not merit. Administration's goal is to make more money for administrators. Students, faculty, and staff don't matter.
Loved the location
Matching Gifts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMay 3, 2017
I was passed over for a full time position, because I am of a certain age. Only worked as a temporary employee with my contract being renewed until they could no longer extend.
Pros
Cons
Ageism
Good college job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJuly 4, 2016
The job flexibility, namely working from home, and pay was good, and the boss is a great person. Keep this job for as long as possible.