CALIFORNIA SCIENCE CENTER Employee Reviews in United States

Great mission: advocacy for space and science
Development, Marketing, Communications staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2016
But not a great work culture. If you have low-level responsibilities, it's fun. If you're upper management, it's very comfortable. However, for the folks at coordinator level and middle management, there are idiosyncratic restrictions and completely arbitrary procedures even if your director keeps telling you there's an established method. So this will be a frustrating workplace, if you have administrative experience from private companies or smaller non-profit agencies.

There is no true advancement, but merely modest pay raises and title inflation, so if you're happy to keep your head down and work moderately hard, then this would be a good place to stay for a long time.

But no matter what you do or whether or not you like working there, the Science Center is wonderful for keeping the dream of space travel alive and celebrating human achievement in science and technology.
Pros
Great location, great exhibits, great mission
Cons
Work culture is not dynamic; dull, bureacratic mindset among upper management
Fun work place.
Building Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2015
Very comfortable work with friendly staff, great management and supervision,great work hours,great environment, and great place for kids and adults.
Na
Membership Assistant/Liaison (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 9, 2015
It is a great place to work at. It has been a steady job for me for some years now. But i believe it is time to move on seeing that it can be hard to move up.
Fun and Educating
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2015
Greeting daily working with age school children learning about how animal adapt really enjoyed it... Recommend for all children to come by there
Host (Former Employee) –  los Angeles, CaliforniaSeptember 13, 2015
It was a fun place to work. I was able to meet many different people from all over the world. I was able to work inside the building where the space shuttle Endeavour was placed.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun workplace full of new experiences.
Sales Assocate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaAugust 24, 2015
Always a fun place to work at. From lending a hand at the gift shop to teaching people about our exhibitions. Management was always very fair with all the workers. They never hesitated to work around our schedules; being that most of the employees were part-time students.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Few hours offered, and not a great chance of advancing to a higher position.
Museum with much to learn
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2015
At the Science Center, there is a lot to be learned. Whether it be from the co-workers or the exhibits themselves, there is hardly any dull days. The other employees are great too and are open to help you get around in the workplace.
Museum life
Air and Space Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2015
I very much enjoyed volunteering at the California Science Center. It was fun interacting with guests and not only bonding with them over the shuttle, but also on a personal level. The volunteers are also very great people to work with and are willing to help not only each other, but the guests that come into the museum.
Very fun place to work
Lifeguard/Host (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2015
I get along with everyone else that works there, we are all very team oriented. The managers and supervisors are very friendly and work with you to succeed. I learn at least 1 new thing everyday, which keeps it fresh and interesting.
Pros
Free Membership, and pre-screenings of special movies and exhibits
Cons
Have to stand for long periods of time in one gallery
good customer service knowledge, and cash handling experience
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2015
It is a good job for someone who is in high school. The pay is low, no room for growth, and not enough hours to go around. But on the upside you gain lots of customer service experience, you learn how to make visual displays, and you get cash handling experience.
Productive enjoyable workplace
Host/Hostess (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2015
I enjoy volunteering here. Mornings can be hectic that's when most busy. But its wonderful opportunity to teach others about science while you learn new things as well. I've learned about different ecosystems, animals, the human body etc.. Everyone is friendly while also staying busy at work.
Fun place to work and learn at the same time
Sales Clerk/Photographer (Current Employee) –  CADecember 8, 2014
Commuting there is an experience. Learning about sciences and what things are happening there. Endeavor is worth checking out as well as learning about its missions.
very good working enviroment
Reservationist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 25, 2014
a typical day will be answering calls, providing guest with upcoming or current exhibits. Also giving them the prices, booking reservations while talking. High level of multitasking because on the side he have other projects that need to be completed such as audits and revise future reservations making sure the numbers and the amounts are correct. I'm also in charge of taking payments its an enjoyable joy because guest always have something nice to say about my customer service. We have secret callers which we referred to as mystery shoppers and they grade our customer service. So far I have gotten outstanding team member twice in a roll. That means that compare to my coworkers they mystery shopper choose me as the one providing outstanding service.
Pros
awesome environment, great coworkers
Cons
health care, not enough hours
Great place to work entry level
Temp (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, caOctober 1, 2014
I enjoyed my time at the California Science Center. It was very entry level however, there is lots of room for advancement and growth. The people are very nice and management is helpful.
Pros
museum setting and learning
Cons
late hours
Productive, Fun workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2014
-Summer internship for high school students
- a great work place
- a great experiece
Pros
lunch
Cons
no cons
Review
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2014
this job offered me great experience in the education field and allowed me to work with children of different nationalities.
Pros
great experience overall
Cons
n/a
Very productive workplace.
Discovery Room Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2013
A typical day of working with children. Lots of fun teaching the children and interacting with them. Very memorable.
Pros
discounts
Cons
some employees made it a division
Wonderful Learning and volunteer environment
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 21, 2013
The California Science Center is a wonderful example of an unassuming, not intimmedating place for everyone who may or may not have n interest in science. The Science center is a place where patrons of all ages, nationalities, and socio economic strat can be engrossed in all that the natural world has to offerin an interactive way. The staff and volunteers ar friendly and are happy to answer any question that patrons may have about all of the exhibits , parmenant or temporary that patrons may have.
Great Facility
Building Support Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2013
Easy Going Employees and Great Facility Which Has Everything You Need To Get The Job Done
The education department has a fun atmosphere with great co-workers, but other departments seem less enjoyable.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2013
Typically, I would get a schedule in the morning and shuttle around from place to place, performing in shows or explaining about the science of that station. It is a generally fun position, but leaves little room for advancement, and it gets fairly repetitive after a while.

My boss and co-workers are lovely, interesting, compassionate people.
Pros
learning new things, working with fun people, a fair amount of down time
Cons
repetition

4.3