California State University San Marcos Employee Reviews

California State University San Marcos
Administrative Support Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 30, 2018
- flexible hours
- able to work independently
-diversity and inclusivity
-opportunity in personal and professional growth
- friendly staff members
- free food
Pros
Free food
Cons
student assistants don't get the same benefits as full time employees
Great environment
Orientation team Leader (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CADecember 18, 2017
I loved my experience at Cal State San Marcos. I learned a lot about a diverse and inclusive workplace culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people you work with and the end result of all your hard-work and time. It is a great place for someone to gain professional experience and I encourage anyone who is willing to take a step towards their leadership development to apply.
Pros
People, Environment, Relaxed.
Cons
n/a
Productive Research-based
Genetics Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CANovember 24, 2017
Typical day at worked consisted of running research tests (PCR and GEP) and then setting up laboratories for students. Additional research projects included dissection and preservation of bird skeleton.
Secure job for students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CANovember 21, 2017
If you are a student and need a secure job then this is the place for you.

The pay is minimum wage, but they are reasonable on time for classes.

The worst part would be no career advancement, no incentive to work hard, lazy management, and management expecting the world from employees, but then never actually doing the same.
Pros
secure job
Cons
lazy mangement
Ra
Resident Advisor (RA) (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CASeptember 7, 2017
Awesome job, but expect the unexpected. I have had to deal with situations I was trained for, like medical and immediate emergencies, but did not expect to encounter.
Productive and flexible work
Grading Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 17, 2017
As a grading assistant, you meet weekly with your professor and receive student work and any other special directions that the professor would like to tell you. Be expected to provide feedback to students to help them improve. You may be asked to grade exams and return student work in a timely fashion, however, you can grade on your own time. I collated student work for my professor, and inputted grades into the grade book. You must be careful and professional with handling confidential information since you are working with current students and their grades.
Pros
work at home/on own time
Great high school kids
Early Talent Search Department-Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 11, 2017
It was nice to see the kids apply to college and get excited about their acceptance letters. The kids were really easy to work with and most of them were self motivated.
Welcoming and fun place to work
Information Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 7, 2017
Staff at CSUSM are all very welcoming and helpful to all new hires as well as old ones. Benefits are excellent and they are flexible with your schedule (depending on the department that you are in). I highly recommend considering starting your career in higher education at CSUSM!
Csu
Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJuly 25, 2017
The California State University, San Marcos has been full of surprises since attending. Getting to know the campus as a transfer student kept me met with such surprises.
Pros
Social Environment
Summer Program
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJune 19, 2017
I loved my time at Cal State San Marcos. I was in a summer research program and it was a fantastic time. I wish I could do it again, and now I am just typing to make it to 150 characters. Thanks.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Long
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJune 5, 2017
Pros: Great staff and faculty and room to advance depending on your position.

Cons: Difficult to get on staff initially. CSUSM is a state university, so available positions are limited but once you get you're pretty secure.
Productive with benefits
Integrated Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 8, 2017
This position is mainly for resume benefits and helps students get the needed experience for their next position in life. I would strongly suggest to others to take up the opportunity to advance their experience.
Pros
Own Hours
Cons
Low Pay
Easy School, Life Balance
IITS (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Learn many new things, regardless of skill or ability coming in. Most employees who work here are working pertaining to their major, but are accepting of new hires and people eager to learn. If looking for a great place to work between classes, this is it!
Excellent place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 4, 2017
CSUSM is an excellent place to start and build a career. It is a growing campus so the promotional opportunities are there for those who work hard and show commitment to the University and student success.

The salary and benefits are the best and difficult to compete with, even in the private sector.
Pros
Employees have job security via CBAs; strong leadership
Cons
Difficult for management to let poor performers go; discentivizes strong performers
Great Research Program
Lead Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 7, 2016
There are several research opportunities
Faculty members are extremely helpful
The classes are helpful
Great work environment for research studies
Nurturing position
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CASeptember 9, 2016
The internships here are very nurturing in growth and development. There may be some information that comes as a bit of a shock behind the scenes but overall they are great people trying to do their best.
was just okay
Student Assistant/ Pride Ambassador (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 31, 2016
lets just say if it wasn't for my co-workers I would of left starting day one. My fellow co-workers were more accepting and understand than some of the supervisors who came off as fake or acted more as children than the college students.
Advertising Manager Review
Advertising Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMarch 24, 2016
A typical day at work consists of contacting prospective clients via telephone, social media, advertisements, email and in person. I learned a lot about consistency, sales, goal accomplishment, tracking orders, email pitch letters, in person sales, handling of moneys due. For this job there is no leadership or mentorship available. The newspaper staff is amazing but you are promised sales reps to lead that quit. The hardest part of the job is keeping track of orders and convincing people to advertise in a school newspaper. The most enjoyable part of the job is to network and learn about the companies in the local are.
Pros
Internship credit, culture
Cons
Lack of leadership, work life balance
Productive, friendly, student ran environment
Student Building Manager (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 31, 2016
I have had a very positive work experience here in San Marcos. It has given me the opportunity to grow and develop more skills.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, friendly work environment
Productive, Fun, Hard Work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 28, 2016
My management was awesome. I loved the people I worked with. It was hard work but they knew you had to balance school and work so they were really nice. They loved initiative and excellence was a key.