California State University San Marcos Employee Reviews in United States

Advertising Manager Review
Advertising Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMarch 24, 2016
A typical day at work consists of contacting prospective clients via telephone, social media, advertisements, email and in person. I learned a lot about consistency, sales, goal accomplishment, tracking orders, email pitch letters, in person sales, handling of moneys due. For this job there is no leadership or mentorship available. The newspaper staff is amazing but you are promised sales reps to lead that quit. The hardest part of the job is keeping track of orders and convincing people to advertise in a school newspaper. The most enjoyable part of the job is to network and learn about the companies in the local are.
Pros
Internship credit, culture
Cons
Lack of leadership, work life balance
Productive, Fun, Hard Work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 28, 2016
My management was awesome. I loved the people I worked with. It was hard work but they knew you had to balance school and work so they were really nice. They loved initiative and excellence was a key.
Wonderful work environment
Financial Aid Advisor, SSP11 (Current Employee) –  Financial Aid & ScholarshipsOctober 6, 2015
CSUSM is a wonderful place to work-the management is very supportive, and actively interested in each employee achieving their full potential.
Great learning experience while helping others
Certified Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CASeptember 26, 2015
Log into system at work to keep track of time of work. We then wear a badge with our names on it, and walk around and help others in various math courses. We constantly walk around instead of sitting in one spot, this proved to help the students as they were more likely to ask a tutor walking around a question rather than when the tutor is sitting down. We do problems on scratch paper or go up on white board and help them on the problem they are on.
Great school and center
Social Justice Training and Resource Center Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 25, 2015
I really enjoyed being the very first intern in this center. Everyday I would managed, organize, and register our office calendar with social justice events. I would contact departments across the university and get them to host training, events, and lectures at the center. I learned how to operate an electronic cataloguing system that managed a library of over 400 books. I worked alone in the center and reported to a director in another center he was great and empowered me as an intern and encouraged me in every project that I took on. The most difficult part of the job was creating social justice programs that was relevant to this student population. I enjoyed how much this job empowered my growth as a higher education professional.
Pros
Working in Social Justice
Cons
Commute
My favorite
Peer Educator, Health Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJuly 13, 2015
This was an internship for school. I loved every minute of it! I wish I could work for the director of the health and wellness center forever.
Good on the job experience.
UAV Operator (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSApril 30, 2015
Enjoyed flying UAVs. Poor work/life balance. Good job experience for high school graduate. Low pay. Some NCOs can be very difficult to work for.
Fun work environment tutoring college students
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMarch 27, 2015
I tutored students in Calculous and Physics. I improved my communication skills and build better relationships with faculty members.
Very fun and relax environment
Mandarin Tutor (Certified Tutor Program) (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, San DiegoJanuary 14, 2015
First, tutor student with Chinese. And also work at front desk assist students. I learned how to talk to different students since they have different background.

I love my co-workers, they are very friendly. The hardest part, which is the most enjoyable part is teaching students chinese. Because its a little bit challenging for a native speaker like me to teaching Americans about the grammar, but it went well.
Pros
prior registration for class
Cons
job have to end once graduated
Profesional enviroment.
Veterans Center Representative (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 7, 2014
Enjoyable to see students access higher education and succeed. A lot of rewards an plenty of team work.
Pros
nice office
Cons
a lot of bureaucracy
Engaging environment
Student Teacher and Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA USAJune 24, 2014
Assisting the teacher in a comprehensive program to meet educational, emotional, social, health, nutritional, and psychological needs of children. Maintaining a positive, calm attitude and a soft voice, and encourage this attitude and voice in others working in the classroom.

Sharing in the development of the students was the most enjoyable part of the position.
Pros
inspired by the development of the children's learning
good university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAOctober 24, 2013
Solid, research based university. I worked as a research assistant as part of my undergrad degree in psychology.
Great teamwork
Information Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAOctober 18, 2013
The culture, particularly among those who have worked at CSUSM for a long time, is very collaborative. People are willing to pitch in offer the best service.
Pros
good benefits, relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
no pay or career advancement.
MEP Program for aspiring Hospitality Professionals
Extended Studies Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2013
Cal State San Marcos Extended Studies Program consistantly provides a solid base of instruction for individuals looking to enter the Hospitality Industry. The intimate classroom experience taught by Professional within the business is the key to its success.
Pros
student to instructor ratio
Cons
long drive to work
Great Opportunity and Learning Experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAFebruary 4, 2013
I learned how to use my personal judgement to assign grades to exams.
An effective, fun learning experience at the Hope and Wellness Center
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 30, 2012
At this internship, I learned new and effective skills to promote health to the Cal State University San Marcos students. We would do orientations for incoming and transfer students about what the health center can provide for them. We would also do monthly blogs about health that would relate to current events (Fourth of July, back to school, summer plans, etc)
I learned how to recruit other agencies to come and promote themselves to my university. Also, I have learned how to blog and to do proper orientations. While interning here, I became more organized and knowledge about my overall health.
Since I was the only intern, I only worked with my supervisor. The most difficult task I had to do for her was that orientation. Speaking in front of a large crowd makes me nervous. In the end, I was able to go through with it with the help of my supervisor. Other than that, I have enjoyed interning here. Making others aware of their health and wellness was a great learning experience for me.
Productive workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJuly 3, 2012
A typical day at work would involve me creating, sorting, and filing students academic information. I learned how to be even more organized. Co-workers were very easy to get along with!
Pros
gained office setting experience
Cons
n/a

4.5