California State University

California State University Employee Reviews

Work as an Instructional student assistant
Instructional Student Assistant (Former Employee), Northridge, CAMay 19, 2015
My typical Days Work is to Assist students to understand the concept and solve problems of the respective class in engineering and computer engineering department.
I have learned to keep updated with my knowledge in the field of engineering.
It is related to what i study.
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), northridgeMay 17, 2015
the environment is very friendly.Here i have to deal with different students which help me in my growth.Moreover it is related to my course study.It's a nice experience working in University.
Enriching and rewarding experience
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2015
Pros: The opportunity to work on a Special JPL-NASA Project
Working on design, analysis, presentation, communication, hands-on skills, people skills. Everyday using what I have learned in my classes expanded my passion for mechanical engineering.
An Inspiring and Motivating place engaging in Adapted Physical Activity
Aqua Instructor/ Lifeguard/ Pool Care (Former Employee), Northridge, CAMay 12, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule, hands on experience, exciting staff
Cons: Limit of hours worked
-Plan, develop and maintain aquatic class program
-Instruct group aqua dance class
-Responsible for safety of clients and staff during therapeutic pool exercises
-Perform first aid and emergency care when necessary
-Assist in the maintenance of the pool and equipment
-I have learned to be patient, open minded, creative and outgoing.
-Management is organized and flexible
-My co-workers are great, I could not have asked for a better group of people to work with. Everyone who works at the Center of Achievement is hard working, positive, motivating and strives for success.
-Multitasking while having 3 positions can be hard at times but with an organized schedule it can be done
-Interacting and helping clients, and teaching a group exercise classes are the things I enjoy the most about my job.
Great learning experience which involved wide variety of technologies
Network Technician (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAMay 3, 2015
Pros: Good pay, work independent and in group, wonderful colleagues.
Cons: No benefits and No training.
This job has given me the best of what i have. This job made me wear multiple hats. The learning experience had different flavors of technologies including working on Servers to desktops to laptops to routers to switches to cash registers.
It's fun working here
Communication Webmaster (Current Employee), College ParkMay 3, 2015
It is such a good experience. This will surely help me in finding internship and full time. Learning phase of life. Co-workers are really helpful and always ready to guide you.
Productive and Friendly environment
Web Developer (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAMay 1, 2015
Working at CSUF has helped me grow on my professional front as well as on the personal front. I have learnt how to manage my time and prioritize work based on the project deadlines at work and studies. People at work are very friendly and we have lots of fun activities at work. Slightly difficult situation is when the users come up with requirements just few days before they need it. I say it is difficult as it gives very less time for development and testing. However the best part of working is when i can see how the users use the website and the reports to accomplish their tasks and achieve the results they wanted.
California State University, Long Beach
International Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Collaborative working environment
Cons: Less salary compared to other CSU campuses
California State University, Long Beach is one of the 23 CSU campuses. It attracts most applications in the United States. The campus culture is collaborative and less political.
Enjoyed the work, but the compensation was very low.
Tutor (Former Employee), San Marcos, CAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Applying the mathematics.
Cons: Low compensation.
Through tutoring students I was able to review and apply the mathematics I had learned. The environment within lab between the students and tutors was very friendly and productive. But the pay was low.
Good introduction to academia and teaching world
Teaching Associate (Current Employee), Hayward, CAApril 30, 2015
Pros: good pay for fun job
Cons: disorganized and outdated labs, non-collaborative faculty
I was excited to become a TA. Then when I started, the "elder" TAs were not very helpful and they were extremely condescending and bossy to the newer TAs. Additionally, a grad student who came in the same year as I started sending me emails telling me what to do. Didn't we have the same experience? Weren't we in the same boat? Not sure how she got that role... but somehow it happened.

Academia is super political and the professors are very proud of their PhD. At other universities, professors who mentor you or you do research for immediately ask you to call them by their first name. Not here though. For the last two years I've had to call my advisor Dr. blah blah and not by his first name. The two other places I've done research for, UC Davis and UCSF, both mentors demanded first-name basis.

Grading is not fun. Inspiring students to get interested in science is indescribably rewarding. But grading really is a time vampire.
Great if you have a family
Manager of Auxiliary Accounting (Current Employee), Turlock, CAApril 29, 2015
Family friendly, but lacks focus and communication. Need to develop plans for employees to grow in the future. Campus is beautiful if you can overlook your pay and hours worked.
nice college
student (Current Employee), bakersfield caApril 27, 2015
its a small quiet school, staff and students tend to be friendly. professors seem to enjoy teaching for the most part. the most difficult task is keeping up with school wotk and personal lives
A great place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Dominguez, CAApril 27, 2015
Pros: I worked a 4/10 week
Cons: a lot of walking when a pro
I really enjoyed working at CSUDH I enjoyed working in a one girl office.
I loved working for both Chairs
I got along got along with all co workers
Some times I didn't have a student worker and had to run all my errands
Having a choice of working 5 day 8 hours or 4 day 10 hours week
very friendly staff, learning experience
Orientation Leader, Student-Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 25, 2015
Pros: got in contact of all kinds of people. If the job expects alot, they train and develop candidates too.
Cons: No cons
being my first job, i was very new to working environment at offices and but the staff there was very helpful and supportive. They trained me well and helped me whenever i made mistakes. It was a very positive experience working at cal state LA
Good
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 25, 2015
Good place to work, very nice work environment and i learnt alot working there. I was just a student assistant but it was still very professional and saw how to work in that kind of environment.
Student Assistant
Equipment Room Assistant (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAApril 23, 2015
My co-workers are also students so they understand the highs and lows of the semester regarding school work. My boss is very understanding and laid back. Working on campus is the best thing a college student can do.
Not bad, for non-tenured teaching work
Lecturer (Current Employee), Seaside, CAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Great location
Cons: Lack of career path
The California State University system is the step-child of higher education in California. Compensation for faculty at all levels does not equal that of University of California faculty, nor does the state's investment in facilities or maintenance. That said, CSUMB is overall, not a bad place to work. Students are, for the most part, highly motivated and a pleasure to teach. The hardest part of the job: lack of job security or opportunity for advancement make it difficult to be motivated sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job is when students get excited about having acquire new knowledge and skills. Teaching, per se, is a blast.
Convenient for class
Los Angeles IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2015
School was 10 mins away by freeway and usually all my classes are within the same building that made it convenient for me.
Challenging
Financial Aid Peer Advisor (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAApril 13, 2015
Pros: Received Financial Aid week early
Cons: hours were limited
Working as a Financial Aid Peer Advisor was different when I first started out. I never knew anything about processing nor looking up different policy rates on student loans. As my time here progressed, I was able to pin point how to assists undergraduate students plus graduate students.
teaching assistant
student teacher (Former Employee), Turlock, CAApril 13, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: angry students
The students are very lazy and expect the teacher to tell them the answers ahead of time before the test. I have had many students curse at me and tell me that the teacher should be there to give a review and not a student.

1 2 3 4 5

About California State University

The California State University offers unlimited opportunities to help students fulfill their personal and professional goals. – Read more

California State University Salaries