California State University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Web Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 12, 2016
A typical day would include completing work orders in regards to keeping the website of different departments in the university updated using Content Management System (CMS) and helping clients use the CMS and resolving any issue that they might be facing.
I learned how to use the CMS, interaction with the clients (includes staff and other student assistants).
The advanced level of the CMS was handled by my co-workers,i.e, the work orders which includes things for which I was not trained for.
Everything in my job was enjoyable as I learned new things almost everyday about the CMS.
Life as a Shipping/Receiving Lead
Shipping/Receiving Lead (Current Employee) –  CSU, ChicoSeptember 14, 2016
Daily I receive packages and open to verify contents and match to purchase orders. Enter all incoming into our Arrival system and put in correct route for delivery. Set up routs for delivery staff and make sure all vehicles are in operational. Operate forklifts and pallets jacks on a regular day. Off load freight trucks on loading dock. Enter data on PeopleSoft to approve purchases so Accounts Payable can pay invoices. .Maintain log of Warehouse inventory on Excel sheet and counts of all incoming deliveries to our Warehouse. Keep contact with departments via email or phone when items arrive that require information to process items. Work close with Property clerks on all high value items that need to be accounted.
Productive and fun job
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 29, 2016
Prepare, design course materials, syllabus, assignments and activities for students. Grade papers and assignments. Learned to manage time by prioritising important tasks. Co-workers are great, helpful and cooperative.

Challenges:
Designing, preparing materials for class and grading papers at the same time. Also, balancing between meeting up with students.

However, meeting different students from all over the country is the most fun part.
Pros
Discounted staff parking for 1 year
Cons
Little compensation
Fun and joyful working in an institution highly rated with much competition from without and within
Tutor (Current Employee) –  California state University, FullertonSeptember 1, 2016
I am currently working here. It is a great place to gain experience as it opens roots to the outside world. So far I have learnt how one has to stoop down to the levels of others for them to be able to explain the subject better.

As per now I really don't have any challenges yet since I have been able to tackle every thing coming on my way.
I want to be me while at work, not a cookie cutter worker
Academic Support Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CAJuly 12, 2016
Positive work environment, truly a 2nd family environment. Team players, collaborative work environment, dedicated, and fun- just to be able to be yourself and not be a cookie cutter worker.
Pros
Positive, fun, hard working, dedicated and work is work, home is home but able to share both "lives" with each other.
Cons
Negative people, finger pointers, no accountability, not my job complainers.
New people ,new friends , new cultures
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAAugust 16, 2016
It was all together a new experience working at california state university fullerton. No pressure best environment to work in. I used to work with people from various countries such as america, mexico, france, germany, england etc. I leaned about their cultures , shared each others food with them. It was fun working at cal state fullerton along with work
State University to gain experience.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93740September 17, 2016
I interned here to gain experience right after I graduated with an Environmental Health degree. Its a great place to learn because it has a multiple environments in one area from food, hazardous waste and building code. Everyone is respectful and nice. The work environment was not fast paced at all.
Pros
Good to gain experience
Cons
Limited available job openings.
Intern Interpreter
Northridge Intern Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 26, 2016
● Accrued 125 hours of team interpreting with certified interpreters in various subjects and classroom settings.
● Debrief with mentors about interpretations of English to ASL, ASL to English and transliteration.
● Analyze personal work and receive constructive feedback from mentors.
● Adhere to NAD/RID Code of Professional Conduct and standard practice.
Great mission and good place to work. Compensation lags.
Director, Systemwide Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 8, 2016
CSU has a worthy mission and plays a very important role in providing accessibility to higher education opportunities to the State of California's residents. For every $1 the CSU receives in government assistance, the CSU returns ~$5.43 to the state.

With out the CSU, many young adults would not be able to afford to go to college and this held the same for me when I attended CSULB many years ago. In other words, when working for the CSU, one feels as if they are contributing to a very worthy mission.

However, for my position, when comparing salary and benefits for like kind and quality director positions, the CSU lags to the tune of ~30%-50% less. Opportunity for salary growth is very limited.

We do more with less and still make less.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Salary
Review of Technical papers
Graduate Research Assistant, Civil Engineering (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 20, 2016
Involved in reviewing journal papers and studying the past work related in the topic of interest.
Summarizing the papers so give insight of the work performed and giving a review to the professor.
The best part of the job was that I had an excess to various engineering journal where it helped me to go through various papers and it eventually helped me with the research.
The professor helped me out in the best way possible with concepts that were not clear.
I was free to work for her as per my convenience.
A healthy and very flexible work environment that consisted of advising fellow students
Dominguez Hills - CBAPP Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 30, 2016
Working for the CBAPP advising center was the best work choice I took in college. My managers were always helpful and understanding of the constant pressures of the college life. Training was continuous and interactive. A very flexible workplace where multitasking was key for success.

A typical day included advising fellow students with their classes, schedules and academic concerns. I improved my listening and communication skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know all the staff, professors and students who were involved with the CBAPP department. I got the chance to expand my network and meet a lot of ambitious, talented people.
Productive, divers and fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2016
At Cal State LA, my current concentration is in Chemistry, while my undergraduate degree is in Microbiology. My academic work has strengthened my research and laboratory skills. My laboratory experience and diverse science background gave me proficiency and confidence. It assisted me to work in a dynamic, fast-paced laboratory, where learning quickly and pitching in are instrumental to success.
Best place to manage your work and studies
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 5, 2016
It is a program started by dean of Engineering college to help meritorious students to get an internship. I work as a student assistant for 20 hours per week. I am the only one in the office working so no co-workers. It is very good to manage your studies and work due to its schedule of 4 hours daily for 5 days a week. You get the rest of the day for studying.
Pros
Can do your homework when you don't have work.
Cons
No one to talk to in the office.
Productive and easy-going place that welcomes learning opportunities.
Counter and UVN Operator (Former Employee) –  Overt Library, Northridge, CAJuly 1, 2016
On a typical day at work, i get my job done efficiently and then monitor for the rest of my hours of work. The environment is quiet enough to hear a book drop and the employees are very customer service type friendly.
Pros
Access to reserved items and free printing.
Cons
You have to deal with rushing professors frequently.
Decent experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 11, 2016
Despite the fact that teaching here pays for your classes/quarter, it does not compensate enough for the amount of work that TA's have to put in.

Look on RateMyProfessor, the students prefer the TAs over actual lecturers. Going above and beyond for the school is nothing because the administrators here imply that TAs are easily replaceable here.
Best research work experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 30, 2016
We have decided area of research and accordingly work. Usual Day: setting up lab environments for the research, note the finding and writing the research paper. The professor under which I was working is knowledgeable and helpful. Everything was enjoyable as I love what I was doing there.
Pros
Opportunity to work with department head
Cons
No Salary
Productive. Motivating and Learning Experience
ITL Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 7, 2016
Working at California State University has made my technical skills stronger and enhanced my leadership / team work capabilities. It has been a learning as well as growing journey, which has benefited the university as well as myself.
The job was hectic yet very comfortable since my boss and the entire management is helpful and cooperative.
Relaxed Environment that Helps Pay the Bills
Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 23, 2016
I love working for the library on campus. It is a very friendly environment, and it is not too demanding. However, the college does not allow for student assistant sick days, therefore you must go in if you cannot get a shift covered, no matter how sick you are.
Pros
Works with school schedule
Cons
No paid sick leave for students
Diverse staff with a rich tradition
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2016
I found every department helpful and supportive. Teaching online requires non-traditional support, there is always someone to help problem solve. Being off campus is the greatest challenge, however the joy of being available for students online makes it worth all.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Located off- campus
Productive and fun place to work at.
Mentor Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 1, 2016
Productive and fun place to work at. I learned how to serve students from different backgrounds, met important people, and learned about other departments and procedures this campus has. Supervisor was always concerned for her staff and accommodated work schedules as best she could.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4