California State University Employee Reviews

good hourly pay for part-time instructors
ESL Instructor (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAJuly 31, 2015
Pros: many hours are offered even for entry level instructors
Cons: no benefits for part-time instructors
CSUF has one of the best programs for part-time ESL instructors.
First of all, it definitely pays more than other similar programs (from $40 an hour).
Also, the program itself is solid with a great working environment.
I would highly recommend teaching here as an entry level ESL instructor.
Diverse position with many responsibilities
Ecological Field Station Manager (Former Employee), Hayward, CAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Some heavy labor involved
On a typical day I would check on the welfare of captive wildlife, speak with researchers if changes were necessary, collected data and did vegetation mapping for major wildlife study, maintained buildings and trails, maintained equipment, assisted with reptile thermoregulation studies, acted as liaison between field station directors and researchers, served on board of directors of Cleary Wildlife Reserve. Management could sometimes be a challenge but were helpful for the most part. I got along well with coworkers. The hardest part of the job was building and trail maintenance. The most enjoyable part of the job was having access to equipment such as a wind tunnel and a microbomb calorimeter.
Meh
Coordinator of Leadership and Student Involvement (Current Employee), pomonaJuly 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, work/life balance
Cons: brown nosing expected
Very political campus. If youre into that, you'll love it.
Students are okay. There heirarchy is overly apparent. Hard to move up.
productive place to work
College Ambassador (Former Employee), hayward californiaJuly 19, 2015
great co workers, great company, fun and enjoyable team. Team building skills were acquired. Great bonds were created with the students I worked with.
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Student Assistant (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: in school job, set hours, and priority registration
Cons: Work Study based job
Productive and enjoyable workplace. Supportive management extremely heavy student, computer, and phone interaction.
Helped organize fundraiser events and keep contact with donors.
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJuly 15, 2015
I would help organize events for the college, and keep in contact with donors. This position helped me become very comfortable with Microsoft Office due to the many spreadsheets I would need to create and letters I had to write to thank donors and invite them to future events.

It was a small department at the time, and I had one supervisor, one director, and no co-workers. My supervisor and directer – more... were very nice to work for and were always available to teach me the skills I needed.

The hardest part of the job was overcoming my shyness. I would have to talk to people on the phone that I had never met and speak to them at events. Even though it was the hardest part for me, I also feel like it was the most enjoyable part. Once I overcame my shyness, it was interesting to meet so many influential people and build rapport with them. – less
Relaxing environment with great management
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Great management
Cons: Pay
A typical day at work was spent in front of the computer answering e-mails, phone calls and attending to students coming in with questions.
Its a great place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Northridge, CAJuly 9, 2015
My experience made me to meet and work with so supportive people.
Work environment is comfortable and so positive. Meeting with students from different countries is a very good experience.
Challenging but rewarding
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Chico, CAJuly 9, 2015
Great school for its eco-friendly culture and student-oriented environment. I left due to a change in the career plan.
Working with students and families (academic environment)
Educational Talent Search (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule, team work oriented, open to ideas for improvement, engaging in activites environment, and trips to college campuses.
Cons: Must be enrolled as a student to have the job
A typical day at work was meeting with students on a one to one basis to to review their academic standing in school. In addition, I would discuss a plan of action for them to succeed in high school and continue their education or secure a job after graduation.

I learned to work with a diverse group of students and families to be able to meet each need with a different approach. In addition, my – more... presentation skills improved as well as my translating skills from English to Spanish and vise versa. My passion for helping students succeed helped me create new ways to communicate the motivation for success in life to students.

Time management was huge in this job because I was also in charge of reminding students of of deadlines such as academic workshops. I was also in charge of reminding students know about financial aid applications, SAT/ACT exam dates, and all academia events going on. Furthermore, I had other deadlines to remember such as staff meeting dates and students parent related events.

My co-workers were amazing! We had bi weekly staff meetings in which we discussed our highlights and areas for improvement with the caseload of students. Our meetings were very engaging in discussing ideas on growth, personal development, team work, and leaderships skills. My co-workers shared similar passions for working with students and families and it made work an amazing experience.

The hardest part of the job was having to work with students who you grew to see a growth in and then seeing them graduate and leave to college. Another difficult part of this job was knowing that you were not always going to see gradual growth from all students. I learned that students may change their behavior in positive direction and then see them take two steps back. I learned some students needed more guidance than others but it did not mean I did not know how to do my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was self-fulfillment in knowing these students were finding their spark. I loved seeing them happy knowing that they had options in what they wanted to do in life. I enjoyed speaking to them about self motivation and success. My most enjoyable part of it all was seeing the growth in them over time. My biggest goal was for them to know that they were never by themselves in trying to succeed but that they did need to become their on version of a go-getter. – less
Productive, positive, and supportive place to work
Administrative & Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: communication and professional development
Cons: Short breaks, commuting, and health care
This place is a wonderful place to work. The team is always supportive and positive. My supervisors and colleagues always provide freedom for us to learn from each other and grow. We make sure we communicate and understand each other's responsibilities. A typical day of work would be greeting each other in the morning, providing updates, and continuously working. During the day, we are always walking – more... down the halls, phone calls, and emails being sent out. There are also students, parents, and visitors who come in person to our office, appointments, or interviews that go on daily which keeps the office busy as well. This office is a great balance of a student-oriented and professional environment. The hardest part of the job was the competing priorities and time management. Due to the time lines and growing unexpected situations, it was hard to manage. However, since we all had the same common goal, it was easy to reach our goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from my co-workers. I loved learning from my co-workers about what they do, so that I can do what ever I can to help. This job is definitely rewarding because the everything we do will make a difference. – less
fun lab experience
Researcher (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 2, 2015
Working in teams to accomplish an overall goal in the lab was a great learning experience for industrial jobs that do team goal setting.
Emergency Hire temporary position
Administrative Support Assistant I (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJune 25, 2015
Pros: Nice Environment
Cons: Summer Hours are not great
scanning documents, answering phone, opening mail
Nothing really
No comment
nice
trying to archive construction designs
having a job
Enjoyable online teaching environment
Online Faculty (Former Employee), Hayward, CAJune 25, 2015
I enjoyed designing and teaching online courses for this institution. It gave me the opportunity to use my technology-focused education degree.
business analyst
RA (Former Employee), Long beachJune 23, 2015
• Assisted professors with research projects collected data and maintained data base, prepared executive summaries for reports, and ran statistical tests for hypothesis testing
• Worked with Program Administrator to coordinate study
• Evaluated abstracts, research data from source documents
• Maintained clinical research data into Electronic Data Systems (EDCs)
• Completed Case Report Forms (CRFs)
Good place to be a student worker.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Chico, CAJune 18, 2015
Overall my time at chico state as a student at CSUC was great. I worked for the Research Foundation under the IT department. it was was very flexible and very understanding of my time, often encouraging me to complete school tasks at work if need be. The management around it was a bit wish-washy but for the most part they do understand that student-workers are students first. And they also try to incorporate – more... the realism of an actual office environment so professionalism is always expected. The hardest part of the job was usually just a busy day when lots of things happened to go wrong all at once and you have to prioritize which ones to get to first. But the best part usually came right after that in the form of lots of hours to finish up homework to get ready for free weekends. Great place. – less
lack of support
Lecturer-Teacher Credential Program- EDTE (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2015
Few resources for a technology class. Graduate students did not seem engaged or committed to class. technology was frequently failing.
Providing strong education knowledge and motivating students to accomplish the goals
Graduate Student of MS in Materials Engineering (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Friendly staffs and professors
Cons: Each department is quite far from each other
•The class duration is very appropriate
•Some classes work well with laboratories
•Professors and classmates are friendly and very helpful
•The hardest part of the job is the high load of works and assignments
•The most enjoyable part is the Recreation center where the students and employees can workout to relieve the stress
Excellent preparation for the work enviroment
Human Powered Vehicle Project (Former Employee), Chico, CAJune 8, 2015
Being a Student in California State University gave me the knowledge I need to Start my work life, different from other colleges in this country, the fact that part of the graduation process is to have a successful senior project really gives you the trustworthy perspective of the duties as a Mechanical Engineer in the work field, since the project brainstorm, to the designs, and the construction of the machine and the implementation of it to an actual manufacturing process was an outstanding experience.
Quiet and reserve.
Photography Laboratory Tech Assistant (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJune 6, 2015
First I would open of the photography lab. Then start making the chemicals in the back room and also the chemicals in the front room. Change the printing paper in the larger printer depending on what day it is. Then take out all the papers of the release forms that the students have signed to check out the equipment that is due today. Then print and check out equipment for the rest of the day.