California State University

California State University Employee Reviews in United States

Interesting
LA - Administrative Support Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Working in the Office of Undergraduate Studies gave a different perspective to the students life at Cal State LA.

I learned how to process petitions for students. Assisted both the Articulation Officer and the Catalog Specialists in researching classes in Sharepoint, GET, and the internet in the converging process from quarter to semester system.

Co-workers and management were great to work with and always available to answer questions and give direction.
Pros
Convenient, since I am a student there.
Cons
The salary and the fact it was only temporary.
Wonderful job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 6, 2015
Getting the opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant is one of the best opportunities a college student could have. This positions allows a student to actively promote to fellow students how competent they are in their field, while actively helping them understand all the dynamics of the class they are taking. This is a big plus when applying to grad schools or even jobs, because of this opportunity. Of course this position can be scary or overwhelming, but the benefits at the end out weigh all of the cons
Pros
help with future jobs or grad school
Cons
can be overwhelming
Great management!
Programmer Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Love the management here and the openness and friendliness toward mutual growth and progress! However, HR is known to sometimes be a pain.
Pros
good management
Cons
poor compensation
20 years and not much change.
Administrative Support II (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 6, 2015
I've been on campus 20+ years mostly part time. Raises were slow to come and if you are part time you are not valued as much even if you are very flexible and fill in wherever you are needed. As a part - time person you fall through the cracks. I'm sure that people starting now make the same amount of $ that I make after 20 years.

I like the new president.
Pros
If you are aggressively looking to advance and change jobs often you can earn more money.
Cons
If you do a great job and are loyal to your position and department you can stagnate.
typical job in college environment
Controls Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 8, 2015
I learned from this job, the position was good in the way of daily tasks, routine duties, training, I also got proficient with my skill set, and met a lot of interesting people.
Pros
benefits, vacation
Cons
management, upward growth.
Be Able To Help Students
Systems and Operations Management Tutor (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAMarch 16, 2016
My work is to guide students on how to solve statistical problems by themselves. I also clarify the main concepts that students could not understand by giving them examples.

I learned that memorizing the concept does not help with the job, but to understand it and adopt it into your job and help growing the company.
Pros
Helping students to understand the concept and adopt it in the real work life.
Cons
Limited work room capacity
Highly depends on which department you're in
Tech (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 1, 2016
I can only speak for my department, but it's a relatively relaxed environment most of the time. In fact, there are times when it's TOO slow. That said, we still have to show up for 8 hours a day. This is one example of how old-school and stodgy the University functions from a work-practice perspective.

It's near-impossible to fire you after a year, which explains why a lot of incompetent people have been retained. However, there are a lot of truly good and competent people here, so I don't wish to bash everyone.

Not a great job if you're looking for upward mobility, fancy promotions, or especially bonuses/increases in pay, but they pay a decent amount and your hours will most likely not be bad.
Pros
Generally low-stress, FANTASTIC benefits, hours are good, casual dress (in my department)
Cons
Highly bureaucratic, almost no upward mobility, work can be very slow
good hourly pay for part-time instructors
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 31, 2015
CSUF has one of the best programs for part-time ESL instructors.
First of all, it definitely pays more than other similar programs (from $40 an hour).
Also, the program itself is solid with a great working environment.
I would highly recommend teaching here as an entry level ESL instructor.
Pros
many hours are offered even for entry level instructors
Cons
no benefits for part-time instructors
Not bad, for non-tenured teaching work
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CAApril 22, 2015
The California State University system is the step-child of higher education in California. Compensation for faculty at all levels does not equal that of University of California faculty, nor does the state's investment in facilities or maintenance. That said, CSUMB is overall, not a bad place to work. Students are, for the most part, highly motivated and a pleasure to teach. The hardest part of the job: lack of job security or opportunity for advancement make it difficult to be motivated sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job is when students get excited about having acquire new knowledge and skills. Teaching, per se, is a blast.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Lack of career path
Great supervisors, good office work environment
STUDENT PROCTOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 10, 2016
I enjoy working as a proctor, although many have seen this job as boring. My supervisors are understanding and very cooperative. They know exactly what they are doing and at the same time, they are fun and can be very casual with you. I've been working here for almost 2 years and I never had any problems with the job.
Pros
Interaction with students, learn to work with programs on computers, problem-solving skills, amazing supervisors
Cons
Long hours of sitting
Review of Technical papers
Graduate Research Assistant, Civil Engineering (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 20, 2016
Involved in reviewing journal papers and studying the past work related in the topic of interest.
Summarizing the papers so give insight of the work performed and giving a review to the professor.
The best part of the job was that I had an excess to various engineering journal where it helped me to go through various papers and it eventually helped me with the research.
The professor helped me out in the best way possible with concepts that were not clear.
I was free to work for her as per my convenience.
Good benifits and I enjoyed supporting the students education.
Supervisor of Custodial Services, FMS (Former Employee) –  Chico, Ca.March 2, 2015
As a supervisor my ours varied. I would work 50+ hours a week.

I learned how to work with upper management and the union by keeping communication open and trying my best to settle any issues that arose in the informal stage. I also learned how to use excel to make schedules and distribute the work load evenly.

Management in the FMS department has a high turnover thus, it is very hard to have continuity. I did enjoy working with the management team.

Most of my co-workers were enjoyable to work with yet I learned from dealing with my co-workers that presented a challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to be part of the team that provided support to the students.
Pros
benifits and supporting the education of the students
Cons
lack of support from upper manage ment
Meh
Coordinator of Leadership and Student Involvement (Current Employee) –  pomonaJuly 20, 2015
Very political campus. If youre into that, you'll love it.
Students are okay. There heirarchy is overly apparent. Hard to move up.
Pros
benefits, work/life balance
Cons
brown nosing expected
Best place to manage your work and studies
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 5, 2016
It is a program started by dean of Engineering college to help meritorious students to get an internship. I work as a student assistant for 20 hours per week. I am the only one in the office working so no co-workers. It is very good to manage your studies and work due to its schedule of 4 hours daily for 5 days a week. You get the rest of the day for studying.
Pros
Can do your homework when you don't have work.
Cons
No one to talk to in the office.
Great faculty to work with here in the Mechanical Engineering Department
Aerodynamics Reasearch Lead (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMarch 10, 2016
I enjoyed working with all the Mechanical Engineering faculty and they provided the utmost support during our research. They provided us with guidance, the tools we needed, and helped us find ways to get money for our projects. The hardest part was trying to fit the final design together and to get parts done by a certain time since the Machine shop was continuously occupied.
Pros
Faculty support, Access to resources, In house Manufaturing
Cons
Budgets
Fine
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAMarch 25, 2016
I fairly had a great experience working at ARC because of the following reasons:
1)Work flexibility
2)Appreciation for work done on deadline
3)Great co-workers
4)Improved my skills of communication
Pros
Good number of opportunities
Cons
Pay Check Deductions due to unorganised work, no job security
Learned to be independent , self reliant and productive individual,
PROPERTY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CA 93012June 9, 2016
Typical Day:As Property Clerk, my typical day involves a wide scope of responsibilities includes research in classifying the assets the university procured whether it needs to be capitalized or not. Once its been determined, the item is tagged and entered into the database (a series of activities in the general ledger in accounting follows.) Processing surplus is also a daily task.
What I learned: I learned to be independent, self -reliant, do it right the first time attitude.
Management: As a one man team, I developed, maintained and well balanced all the responsibilities of the Property Office.
Co-Workers: I established and maintained a cooperative working relationship with staff, administrators, faculty, students as well as suppliers as well as suppliers and members of the general public.
The hardest part of the job: Co-workers that are not cooperative to the job right.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Working with personnel on campus that are success driven attitude. I also enjoyed all walks of life dealing with people of the general public.
Pros
Good vacation hours, relaxed and friendly atmosphere
Cons
An hour lunch break, good health, dental plan
Productive, divers and fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2016
At Cal State LA, my current concentration is in Chemistry, while my undergraduate degree is in Microbiology. My academic work has strengthened my research and laboratory skills. My laboratory experience and diverse science background gave me proficiency and confidence. It assisted me to work in a dynamic, fast-paced laboratory, where learning quickly and pitching in are instrumental to success.
Amazing flexible and fun workplace.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day will include shelf reading for misplaced and missing books, shelving books that have been collected from book bins and the circulation desk, helping other students find what they are looking for (especially students unfamiliar with libraries), and organizing the back office area where processing occurs. The managers are very nice and very flexible when it comes to students. Some co-workers find a nice nook to do their studying in, other power through their assignments and keep moving. The most enjoyable part of the job is sorting and shelving books although it is a bit labor intensive.
Productive. Motivating and Learning Experience
ITL Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 7, 2016
Working at California State University has made my technical skills stronger and enhanced my leadership / team work capabilities. It has been a learning as well as growing journey, which has benefited the university as well as myself.
The job was hectic yet very comfortable since my boss and the entire management is helpful and cooperative.

4.3