California State University Employee Reviews

Working with students and families (academic environment)
Educational Talent Search (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day at work was meeting with students on a one to one basis to to review their academic standing in school. In addition, I would discuss a plan of action for them to succeed in high school and continue their education or secure a job after graduation.

I learned to work with a diverse group of students and families to be able to meet each need with a different approach. In addition, my presentation skills improved as well as my translating skills from English to Spanish and vise versa. My passion for helping students succeed helped me create new ways to communicate the motivation for success in life to students.

Time management was huge in this job because I was also in charge of reminding students of of deadlines such as academic workshops. I was also in charge of reminding students know about financial aid applications, SAT/ACT exam dates, and all academia events going on. Furthermore, I had other deadlines to remember such as staff meeting dates and students parent related events.

My co-workers were amazing! We had bi weekly staff meetings in which we discussed our highlights and areas for improvement with the caseload of students. Our meetings were very engaging in discussing ideas on growth, personal development, team work, and leaderships skills. My co-workers shared similar passions for working with students and families and it made work an amazing experience.

The hardest part of the job was having to work with students who you grew to see a growth in and then seeing them graduate and leave to college. Another difficult part of this job was
  more... knowing that you were not always going to see gradual growth from all students. I learned that students may change their behavior in positive direction and then see them take two steps back. I learned some students needed more guidance than others but it did not mean I did not know how to do my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was self-fulfillment in knowing these students were finding their spark. I loved seeing them happy knowing that they had options in what they wanted to do in life. I enjoyed speaking to them about self motivation and success. My most enjoyable part of it all was seeing the growth in them over time. My biggest goal was for them to know that they were never by themselves in trying to succeed but that they did need to become their on version of a go-getter.
Pros
Flexible schedule, team work oriented, open to ideas for improvement, engaging in activites environment, and trips to college campuses.
Cons
Must be enrolled as a student to have the job
A CSU Monterey work day for me...
HR/Employee Fee Waiver Prgm Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAFebruary 9, 2014
Under the general supervision of the Associate Vice President for University Human Resources. Duties are as follows but not limited to; responding to each visitor professionally, welcoming, and with customer-driven service; provides general information on a variety of topics pertinent to CSUMB visitors; exercises considerable discretion and judgment in performing assigned work through the use of a thorough knowledge of clerical methods and office procedures while applying a comprehensive knowledge of CSUMB policies as part of managing the front desk; screen and distribute mail; track and report the department monthly attendance and submissions; maintain department email accounts, including all email correspondence to Staff and Faculty of events, workshops, announcements, etc.; gatekeeper for the Human Resources calendar (conference and meeting room); initial receipt and processing of all resignations; office supply inventory and orders; supervise student assistants as needed; dispense sign in sheets for HR and benefits events and workshops; assist with workshop/seminar enrollments in PeopleSoft. Fee Waiver Coordination - planning, processing and approval; Planning and coordinating all New Employee Orientations; completion of all travel requests and expense claims; assist applicants with any questions or concerns.

I have learned a lot more about time-management, labor relations policies and procedures, diversity and so, so much more....better explained person-to-person.

My co-workers were wonderful. I really love all my CSUMB friends still and we all keep in touch it was voted
  more... one of the "Best Places to Work" in 2010 and previous years and that describes it to a tee.

My most enjoyable part of my job was working with others and being able to contribute my experience and abilities to solve problems and assist every customer that came through the Human Resources door.
Pros
happy to go to work each day, benefits, salary, advancements, events, management and more.
Cons
state budget cuts hit us hard
I loved being a teacher and the students. Working with other faculty brought both joy and angst.
Professor of Public Policy and Management (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 26, 2013
I worked between 8-12 most days, some longer. I was trying to be as current as I could in two somewhat distinct areas: public administration and policy as well as the private sector. A major benefit is that I got to understand both much more because I could see at least 10 different perspectives. I learned about myself and what I valued most about being an educator, which was working with students and assisting them in their journey to being a more well-rounded student and person. I also valued giving them a balanced perspective, turning them into motivated life-long learners and readers, and encouraging them to reach for what they wanted but to first assess what they really wanted, not just what they thought they wanted, that is make sure you have passion about what you want to do with your life. Management was faculty who often did not know or have a clue about managing because that was not their field or they did not have any management experience. Some were great and some were less than so. Hardest part of the job was trying to get faculty to change for the sake of the students. Teaching and interacting with the students was my first love and still is, followed by research and writing for practical learning. My values are diversity of students and thought, ethical conduct by all, reasoned debate, life-long learning, creativity, understanding Gardner's take on IQ, that is emotional IQ in its many forms is just as important to the growth and ability of a person and to be recognized by educators as just as important as grades and tests. There is always room and should be more  more... room made for the square pegs in the round peg room.  less
Pros
getting paid for something i have a passion about--helping people learn.
Cons
limitations of a classroom and dealing with faculty who did not want to change.
Mixed Emotions
General Studies Lecturer (Current Employee) –  CSU East Bay, Hayward, CAMarch 20, 2014
I have mixed emotions regarding CSU East Bay. As an alumnus, I cannot say enough good things about the Kinesiology program at the undergraduate and graduate level. CSU East Bay offers a comprehensive and interdisciplinary program focusing on the science of body movement related to exercise and sport in addition to the psychological variables associated with performance and how sport reflects, imitates, and influences society. As far as academic programs are concerned, I feel CSU East Bay provides a high quality affordable education.

Working at CSU East Bay is a different story. The work culture appears to be highly fragmented and somewhat selfish. I do not know if this common at public universities or throughout the CSU System, but the CSU East Bay campus is highly divided. My particular job by its nature is always on the potential chopping block because of variability in funding. Leadership of the program at times has fought for program survival, but has not done anything of substance to provide evidence of the quality and effectiveness of the work we do. In an era of objectives and assessment, the program is lacking leadership to provide evidence of effectiveness which is almost unthinkable in this era. The University also has strict limits on how much teachers in our program can make (salary) and how much work they are offered. This two-tiered ceiling makes upward mobility nearly impossible and provides administration two ways to keep wages constantly low.

My experience at CSUEB has provided a full spectrum of motivational sources. The education was phenomenal and I know
  more... most people at the university really care about students. Working at CSUEB motivates me because there are flaws in leadership and obvious areas of improvement which I would like to make part of my future professional goals.  less
Great for a part-time student and work experience
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJanuary 22, 2014
I worked as a student assistant here for over two years and did learn a lot and gained a lot of great skills. On an typical day I would answer phones, emails, and any student questions from the front desk. I would file, copy, fax, walk over important information and interdepartmental forms, and sort mail. Other duties would include keeping all office hours for professors up to date, assisting supervisors and office manager with small projects, and keeping the cleanliness of whole office and break room. Had one great office manager and department chairman, however, lots of change occurred after they left and their replacements weren't qualified. Co-workers were other students in the university and therefore we all got along pretty well, some drama, but nothing too bad. Hardest part of the job was being doubted and mistreated by entitled professors, higher-ups, and frustrated students that took it out on everyone in administration. Most enjoyable part were the coworkers and supervisors; they were good people and some were more helpful than others and still provide me with good recommendations and references.
Pros
gave me good hours, flexible and empathetic to school deadlines, and gained good references and recommendations.
Cons
change was imminent, but not handled well, some people weren't respectful at all, work hours only available during school times.
Sleep, eat, school, ,meetings, residents, residents, residents
Residential Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 14, 2012
Answering residents questons while available, staff meetings, one one meetings with residents, assisting, facilitating and attending informational and fun events, duty, rounds of exterior and interior, judicial reports, knocking on a residents door for several things, including policy violation, signature needed, wishing happy birthday and cupcakes, etc.

I've learned so much at this position. I've learned to be a leader and example to my peers through my grades and actions. I learned how to manage my time a little better than I had perviously. I learned how to plan and execute events and how to stick to a budget.

Management was very great. Everone was so willing to help with our academic, collegiate and personal growth.

The hardest part of the job was being a student and a Resident Advisor at the same time. Although I knew that I was both and could distinguish the two, my residents sometimes would knock on my door at odd hours, not realizing I needed sleep and had homework to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and friends in my co-workers, helping my residents overcome adversity and seeing them grow, me growing more as an individual, creating posters, flyers and other things for my residents.
Pros
residents, free housing, free utilities, my own studio
Cons
24 hour duties, the duty phone ringtone, having to stop parties while not on duty
Worked hard and enjoyed every moment!
Multimedia Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAFebruary 2, 2013
This was a low paid internship that required allot of concentration and hard work. It also was a great experience working with so many different people studying a variety of subjects where they needed to express some aspect of their studies through multimedia. The hardest part for me was being disabled (incontinent and arthritic knees). I tried to ignore the discomfort and pain and learn as much as possible. The management, coworkers, faculty, staff, and students were outstanding to work with in this fast-paced learning environment. I gained a great friend while working there. I learned how to use a bunch of software that I previously hadn't worked with before having this job. I learned what it was like teaching others on a regular schedule. I enjoyed it. Teaching others has great satisfaction. Downside: Unfortunately my Bachelors' didn't lead to any jobs in the Multimedia Artist and Animation job category. I did quite well in school too, with a GPA of 3.65, but to no avail---no multimedia jobs, only stink'n quasi-sales jobs. A big dissappointment of college and the huge student loan I am still paying. Oh well, that's life. You win some, and lose allot.
Pros
california state university, chico: you feel as though you are part of something bigger than yourself, like working for nasa.
Cons
being disabled in such great environment.
Productive, positive, and supportive place to work
Administrative & Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 6, 2015
This place is a wonderful place to work. The team is always supportive and positive. My supervisors and colleagues always provide freedom for us to learn from each other and grow. We make sure we communicate and understand each other's responsibilities. A typical day of work would be greeting each other in the morning, providing updates, and continuously working. During the day, we are always walking down the halls, phone calls, and emails being sent out. There are also students, parents, and visitors who come in person to our office, appointments, or interviews that go on daily which keeps the office busy as well. This office is a great balance of a student-oriented and professional environment. The hardest part of the job was the competing priorities and time management. Due to the time lines and growing unexpected situations, it was hard to manage. However, since we all had the same common goal, it was easy to reach our goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from my co-workers. I loved learning from my co-workers about what they do, so that I can do what ever I can to help. This job is definitely rewarding because the everything we do will make a difference.
Pros
communication and professional development
Cons
Short breaks, commuting, and health care
Typical Day at P&T
Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at Parking and Transportation would include myself driving and/or walking around campus looking for cars parked illegally. If they were, I would issue them a citation. Another aspect of my job was training new employees. At times, I would create directional signage to assist the public with parking for events.

At Parking and Transportation, I learned to respect my co-workers, my managers, and the public. Having respect for others allowed me to be successful during my time there. It was not hard to respect any of them because it was a fantastic environment and the management helped make it a great environment for us. Additionally, problems with co-workers never arose as it was a friendly environment and everyone more or less got along.

The hardest part of the job was coming to a resolution with frustrated and confused customers after they had received a parking citation. I enjoyed helping them understand why they got the citation or where to go to talk to someone further about it, but it is never fun to be yelled at and blamed for something. Nothing ever got out of hand with myself and the public as coming to an agreement with them was easy.

Parking and Transportation was overall a great experience, and I certainly do not regret spending three years there.
The BEST sales experience I gained in my college career.
Fundraiser/Student Caller (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAMay 12, 2014
Working at the call center for CSU Chico has given me the best sales experience I could ever hope to achieve in college. The training you get is only 3 days, but it is the actual phone calls and conversations you have with parents of students and alumni that truly build your ability to negotiate and close a deal. The hardest part of the job is the monotony of it all; some days are very slow and all you do is listen to answering machines, but that just makes it that much more exciting when a prospective donor picks up the phone. Also, you get quite a bit of refusals which can take a toll on you, but with a positive attitude this shouldn't be an issue. The work environment is more like a family than an office; co-workers are given nicknames and bagels/donuts are frequently brought into Saturday morning shifts. There are so many enjoyable parts of the job that it's difficult to just pick one. I would say the experience I gained in terms of sales and sociability has been the most beneficial aspect of working as a student fundraiser for California State University Chico.
Pros
free food and kitchen, supervisors are helpful and understanding
Cons
refusals can take a toll on you, monotonous answering machines
Head of the Cataloging Dept./Cataloger
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CANovember 18, 2013
I created and maintained original cataloging records in all subjects and formats. Enhanced shared cataloging records for audiovisual materials, serials, and other formats as needed. Created and maintained name and series authority records. Resolved complex copy cataloging and post-cataloging problems. Coordinated current cataloging policies in accordance with developing national standards and shifting local needs including writing Cataloging Policy Documents. Enhanced OCLC records, as needed. Executed needed database maintenance and uploads. Worked on special projects, as needed. Downloaded EBL online e-book additions on a monthly basis. Completed cataloging the remainder of the maps for the Library/Patrons Boswell Cartographic Digitization Project. Created macros and advised changes on the load tables to save catalogers’ time and expedite the information about library materials now available in the public catalog. Tested new cataloging software and assisted with development of new cataloging procedures and trained other catalogers, as needed. Lead the Cataloging Policy Team. Participated in ILS Task Force and Digitization Planning Task Force.
Pros
stimulating environment
Redesigning website, while building strong lasting relationships
Public Affairs and Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  HaywardJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day starts with me receiving dozens of emails from deans and department chairs requesting written copy on various topics, print layouts (brochures, fact sheets, newsletters, etc...), web add-ons, and consulting. By noon I turn my attention to web design. I have held several meeting outlining suggested improvements for the website. Student outreach is a big topic that I am also looking into.

My current position has taught me to be very self-sufficient. The position has been vacant for over three years so becoming 2015 compliant has been my #1 task. Working within the confines of a CMS has also been a challenge but I am now fluent in Cascade.

My coworkers are a pleasure to be around, which makes my experience at CSUEB one I will cherish.

The most challenging part of my current position is working with administrators and faculty to agree on concepts and design layouts.

What I enjoy most is developing and designing websites. I also enjoy analyzing how information is viewed. I am currently working with Google Analytics to identify which print material drives internet page views.
Working for educators
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 16, 2012
Working for the Professor and learning how to grade and teach freshman US History was a challenging, interesting experience. The Professor was energetic, engaging, and more than fair with the students and passionate as well as highly knowledgeable about the subject matter, which was 20th Century US History.
Grading is harder than it sounds but it was experience I will never forget. There are some kids who just don't care, and others who are so ridiculously astute you'd swear they were your age and in grad school with you and not 19 year olds. My favorite part of the whole thing was when I got to teach a class when the professor was out. Professor "X" was a good if relatively hands-off manager, and trusted me to get the job done right. I did not disappoint.
Pros
seeing the students learn about how the us got to where we are, teaching through correcting the students' mistakes, talking history and politics with the professor
Cons
grading takes a long time, monthly stipend is miniscule, some students are so careless it makes you want to tear your hair out, ideologues who want political sparing matches with the professor
Valuable work that fits your schedule
Stanislaus - Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CASeptember 17, 2013
Each 1-hour tutoring session is different. You might be working with one individual, or a small group of three. You might be focusing on general revision techniques, or helping someone edit a major research paper. Some sessions are class-based, where an entire entry-level English class receives tutoring, and your instructions are set by the professor. Some sessions are individual, where the student has voluntarily signed up for tutoring and you work on whatever they need help with. Always, the focus is on reading comprehension and all aspects of writing. Always, the goal is to teach the student to eventually revise on their own, preparing them not only for the rest of their college career, but for life. The training you get is fantastic and thorough, and the community of tutors is always great. No one is expected to be an absolute expert. Rather, it's a collaborative experience, with both tutors and students bringing everything they know to each session. I loved my time there.
Pros
great coworkers, good management, great environment
Cons
only allowed to work 20 hours per week
Perferential Treatment and Glass Ceiling Still exists at CSULB
Staff (Former Employee) –  Long BeachOctober 3, 2013
After working there over 20 years I realized that it's more about who you know and not as much as how good of an employee you are. I have seen male employees do terrible unethical things at work yet they don't get reprimanded. I have seen women make minor mistakes at work and they are gone the next day. Why this preferential treatment? As women we work hard and get our education and should be treated the same right? One former co-worker had to train a new hire and he got the title and became her supervisor getting paid more! Others work there for five years and get moved up to be directors but sit at their desks reading newspapers and watching adult websites. Yet they are friends of the big boys club and nothing is done about it. I could go on and on. I left and glad to leave a place full of back stabbers. The students are the only thing that is great about the school. Some employees are wonderful but too shy to say or do anything about the ones who run the campus.
Pros
students, benefits
Cons
bad management, no merit increases or staff development
A Former Professional and recent Master of Public Administration graduate from California State University Dominguez Hills
(PEGS) Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carson, CaliforniaMay 26, 2012
I graduated with honors from CSU Dominguez Hills, Fall 2011. I was seleceted as one of three candidates to work in the promoting for excellence graduate studies program. As a library assistant I helped students with methodology for reseacrh projects and navigation of the Library database. The most exciting part was the outcome of helping a student. The most challenging part of the job was locating a book or journal that was outside of the CSU database. My most enjoyable experience are were attending the meetings held by faculty for recognition of awards ceremonies. I learned valuable management skills based on effectiveness to help others students with research. My day to day work involved task management of journal articles for students, trouble shooting technical support, and navigating through the library with Librarians.
Pros
award lunches, ceremonies, excellent students
Cons
challenging research, limited work
Good introduction to academia and teaching world
Teaching Associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 30, 2015
I was excited to become a TA. Then when I started, the "elder" TAs were not very helpful and they were extremely condescending and bossy to the newer TAs. Additionally, a grad student who came in the same year as I started sending me emails telling me what to do. Didn't we have the same experience? Weren't we in the same boat? Not sure how she got that role... but somehow it happened.

Academia is super political and the professors are very proud of their PhD. At other universities, professors who mentor you or you do research for immediately ask you to call them by their first name. Not here though. For the last two years I've had to call my advisor Dr. blah blah and not by his first name. The two other places I've done research for, UC Davis and UCSF, both mentors demanded first-name basis.

Grading is not fun. Inspiring students to get interested in science is indescribably rewarding. But grading really is a time vampire.
Pros
good pay for fun job
Cons
disorganized and outdated labs, non-collaborative faculty
Extremely rewarding and loved teaching college students
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CADecember 3, 2012
A typical day as a Supplemental Instruction Leader involved sitting in on two ENGL 155 composition courses, and immediately following, conducting an intensive writing lab that focused on helping students with analytical writing, drafting theses, reading comprehension strategies, help with essay clarity, proper MLA citation techniques, etc. I would meet/email with both Instructors of the course, and adjust my lesson-planning accordingly depending on what was covered in the class just prior to my writing lab--required much flexibility! The hardest part of the job was dealing with students who wanted to do the bare minimum of what was required or who had attitude problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing out the potential every student had, and one student even switched her major to English due to my guidance in the lab.
Pros
rewarding, got experience at managing/directing a classroom
Cons
only a semester-long temporary position
Great work culture
Student Analyst (Former Employee) –  Institutional Planning and AnalysisJune 5, 2013
I was an intern for the Institutional Planning and Analysis department of CSUSM. Everyone I was exposed to was so friendly and professional! I really enjoyed my time working with the deputy director Jeff Marks, in particular, because he harnessed such a great work culture where learning was possible! My school work and intern work was do-able because it was a "schools first" policy- flexible schedule. Company meetings and reward ceremonies were held for employees-where I really got an understanding of how student-oriented the school was. The employees work, eat, and breathe student welfare and interests at CSUSM. If a job ever opened in this department, I would jump on the opportunity in a flash- although all departments are exceptional- so apply to them all you will LOVE IT HERE!
Pros
work culture, professional/dedicated staff, service-oriented, staff want to be at work and it shows!
Cons
hours availalbe to work were limited to 20 hours- but it paid, so i can hardly complain!
An Inspiring and Motivating place engaging in Adapted Physical Activity
Aqua Instructor/ Lifeguard/ Pool Care (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 12, 2015
-Plan, develop and maintain aquatic class program
-Instruct group aqua dance class
-Responsible for safety of clients and staff during therapeutic pool exercises
-Perform first aid and emergency care when necessary
-Assist in the maintenance of the pool and equipment
-I have learned to be patient, open minded, creative and outgoing.
-Management is organized and flexible
-My co-workers are great, I could not have asked for a better group of people to work with. Everyone who works at the Center of Achievement is hard working, positive, motivating and strives for success.
-Multitasking while having 3 positions can be hard at times but with an organized schedule it can be done
-Interacting and helping clients, and teaching a group exercise classes are the things I enjoy the most about my job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, hands on experience, exciting staff
Cons
Limit of hours worked

4.3