California State University

California State University Employee Reviews in United States

Interesting
LA - Administrative Support Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Working in the Office of Undergraduate Studies gave a different perspective to the students life at Cal State LA.

I learned how to process petitions for students. Assisted both the Articulation Officer and the Catalog Specialists in researching classes in Sharepoint, GET, and the internet in the converging process from quarter to semester system.

Co-workers and management were great to work with and always available to answer questions and give direction.
Pros
Convenient, since I am a student there.
Cons
The salary and the fact it was only temporary.
Great management!
Programmer Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Love the management here and the openness and friendliness toward mutual growth and progress! However, HR is known to sometimes be a pain.
Pros
good management
Cons
poor compensation
Be Able To Help Students
Systems and Operations Management Tutor (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAMarch 16, 2016
My work is to guide students on how to solve statistical problems by themselves. I also clarify the main concepts that students could not understand by giving them examples.

I learned that memorizing the concept does not help with the job, but to understand it and adopt it into your job and help growing the company.
Pros
Helping students to understand the concept and adopt it in the real work life.
Cons
Limited work room capacity
20 years and not much change.
Administrative Support II (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 6, 2015
I've been on campus 20+ years mostly part time. Raises were slow to come and if you are part time you are not valued as much even if you are very flexible and fill in wherever you are needed. As a part - time person you fall through the cracks. I'm sure that people starting now make the same amount of $ that I make after 20 years.

I like the new president.
Pros
If you are aggressively looking to advance and change jobs often you can earn more money.
Cons
If you do a great job and are loyal to your position and department you can stagnate.
Great supervisors, good office work environment
STUDENT PROCTOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 10, 2016
I enjoy working as a proctor, although many have seen this job as boring. My supervisors are understanding and very cooperative. They know exactly what they are doing and at the same time, they are fun and can be very casual with you. I've been working here for almost 2 years and I never had any problems with the job.
Pros
Interaction with students, learn to work with programs on computers, problem-solving skills, amazing supervisors
Cons
Long hours of sitting
Wonderful job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 6, 2015
Getting the opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant is one of the best opportunities a college student could have. This positions allows a student to actively promote to fellow students how competent they are in their field, while actively helping them understand all the dynamics of the class they are taking. This is a big plus when applying to grad schools or even jobs, because of this opportunity. Of course this position can be scary or overwhelming, but the benefits at the end out weigh all of the cons
Pros
help with future jobs or grad school
Cons
can be overwhelming
Fine
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAMarch 25, 2016
I fairly had a great experience working at ARC because of the following reasons:
1)Work flexibility
2)Appreciation for work done on deadline
3)Great co-workers
4)Improved my skills of communication
Pros
Good number of opportunities
Cons
Pay Check Deductions due to unorganised work, no job security
Typical Day at P&T
Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at Parking and Transportation would include myself driving and/or walking around campus looking for cars parked illegally. If they were, I would issue them a citation. Another aspect of my job was training new employees. At times, I would create directional signage to assist the public with parking for events.

At Parking and Transportation, I learned to respect my co-workers, my managers, and the public. Having respect for others allowed me to be successful during my time there. It was not hard to respect any of them because it was a fantastic environment and the management helped make it a great environment for us. Additionally, problems with co-workers never arose as it was a friendly environment and everyone more or less got along.

The hardest part of the job was coming to a resolution with frustrated and confused customers after they had received a parking citation. I enjoyed helping them understand why they got the citation or where to go to talk to someone further about it, but it is never fun to be yelled at and blamed for something. Nothing ever got out of hand with myself and the public as coming to an agreement with them was easy.

Parking and Transportation was overall a great experience, and I certainly do not regret spending three years there.
Work
Parking Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 19, 2016
While attending college, this job is a great ideal work study job for any students. Hours are flexible and co workers and management are great. the hardest part was leaving the company and the greatest part was working with the co-workers. we were all treated as family within the company and everyone looked out for everyone.
typical job in college environment
Controls Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 8, 2015
I learned from this job, the position was good in the way of daily tasks, routine duties, training, I also got proficient with my skill set, and met a lot of interesting people.
Pros
benefits, vacation
Cons
management, upward growth.
Nice Start for Experience
Environmental Chemist (Current Employee) –  Canyon Lake and CSU San BernardinoOctober 20, 2015
I have enjoyed my first environmental chemist position on campus because the experience with the instruments have allowed me to develop skills that I couldn't have only in the classroom setting. I feel at ease while the supervising professor guides us with new techniques and equipment. Although we are working with professional companies and need to do quality work, the stress is not high. Like I said, it's an ideal start to a career as a chemist and the surroundings are conducive to growth and exploration beyond that.
Pros
own hours/schedule, familiarity with staff/peers
Cons
small lab
No room for advancement
Building Maintenance/ProjectSupervisor (Former Employee) –  San MarcosAugust 24, 2015
The job is great, you're always busy and the day goes by fast, but very heavy in politics. Co workers are put against each other by management. Staff have no chance for upward mobility. The best part of this job is the satisfaction of keeping the campus safe and operational for the all students, faculty, and staff.
Amazing flexible and fun workplace.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day will include shelf reading for misplaced and missing books, shelving books that have been collected from book bins and the circulation desk, helping other students find what they are looking for (especially students unfamiliar with libraries), and organizing the back office area where processing occurs. The managers are very nice and very flexible when it comes to students. Some co-workers find a nice nook to do their studying in, other power through their assignments and keep moving. The most enjoyable part of the job is sorting and shelving books although it is a bit labor intensive.
Great faculty to work with here in the Mechanical Engineering Department
Aerodynamics Reasearch Lead (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMarch 10, 2016
I enjoyed working with all the Mechanical Engineering faculty and they provided the utmost support during our research. They provided us with guidance, the tools we needed, and helped us find ways to get money for our projects. The hardest part was trying to fit the final design together and to get parts done by a certain time since the Machine shop was continuously occupied.
Pros
Faculty support, Access to resources, In house Manufaturing
Cons
Budgets
Routine
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 15, 2015
I like that there was a routine with a schedule in order to complete my tasks. Structure is key for me. It was a decent school job that helped me with my organization and management skills. I did not many coworkers, but I can easily get along with them. I think the hardest part of my job is lifting heavy products or equipment. I manage to pull through, I got use to the heavy lifting. I enjoy driving the electric delivery vehicles and van when I go on my daily delivery routes.
Not bad, for non-tenured teaching work
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CAApril 22, 2015
The California State University system is the step-child of higher education in California. Compensation for faculty at all levels does not equal that of University of California faculty, nor does the state's investment in facilities or maintenance. That said, CSUMB is overall, not a bad place to work. Students are, for the most part, highly motivated and a pleasure to teach. The hardest part of the job: lack of job security or opportunity for advancement make it difficult to be motivated sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job is when students get excited about having acquire new knowledge and skills. Teaching, per se, is a blast.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Lack of career path
Very fun
Certified Phlebotomy Technician I (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 14, 2015
Loved the management and the staff at the clinic. Came to work feeling happy and enjoying what I did. Only con was how slow it would get.
Pros
Lots of employee lunches and fun
Cons
Slow
Diverse position with many responsibilities
Ecological Field Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 25, 2015
On a typical day I would check on the welfare of captive wildlife, speak with researchers if changes were necessary, collected data and did vegetation mapping for major wildlife study, maintained buildings and trails, maintained equipment, assisted with reptile thermoregulation studies, acted as liaison between field station directors and researchers, served on board of directors of Cleary Wildlife Reserve. Management could sometimes be a challenge but were helpful for the most part. I got along well with coworkers. The hardest part of the job was building and trail maintenance. The most enjoyable part of the job was having access to equipment such as a wind tunnel and a microbomb calorimeter.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Some heavy labor involved
Great Temporary Position
Alternate Media Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 18, 2016
I worked at CSU San Bernardino for a year and a half while going to school. I worked in the Services to Students with Disabilities (SSD) office as an alternate media student assistant. We were responsible for taking students' textbooks and converting them into all digital formats. We also assisted at the front desk and helps administer exams as needed.
Flexible schedule and descent pay
University Writing Mentor (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CANovember 16, 2015
Cal State Northridge is a great place to work. The pay is descent and scheduling is flexible.The HR department is kind of a mess, but overall colleagues, and management is good.

4.3