California State University

California State University Employee Reviews

Fun Environment
SI Leader (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 7, 2017
While working here, it helps me manage my time more as the work is scheduled around my class schedule. I learned that the time that I work is not dedicated to me, it's dedicated to the students I need to help.
The hardest part of the job was trying to motivate students to at least try. Many students that come for help usually give up before starting on their workload and gets frustrated before even attempting to try. Some see my position as to just give them the answers and that's not what I do.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students having that connection to the materials. It's great seeing the look on their face when they understood the materials.
Pros
Fit around my class schedule
Cons
Hard to motivate some students
A fantastic place to grow and learn, great management.
MACHINIST/DESIGN ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 21, 2017
I worked as student Machinist and Design Engineer. I absolutely loved the hands on work and had a tremendous sense of accomplishment building and fabricating custom pieces. I had a great boss who was so incredibly talented at machining, welding, fabricating, and design. This was a great opportunity and I learned an amazing amount of skills while at this job. I also worked with many student teams on there senior projects and was intimately involved with the Human Engineering Laboratory where we tested wheelchairs, wheelchair test equipment, etc. We also designed multiple pieces for the U.S. Paralympic Athletes that trained at CSUS. While at this job I authored or co-authored several pieces and obtained several patents that, of course, were owned by CSUS. This job was fun, exciting, and I loved the hands on fabricating and machining.
Pros
Great people to work with, awesome job for a student intern (payed)
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Support Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CANovember 26, 2016
I learned a variety of skills and achieved levels I thought were impossible. I enjoyed working with the students, staff, faculty and public.

The ambiance of the grounds made it a peaceful place to work. I had the delight to work at both the Stanislaus and Monterey Bay campus.
Cons
salary
Productive and Fun place to work
Instructional Student Assistant/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CA 92096February 24, 2017
A typical day includes but is not limited to:

Scheduling appointments
Time-management
Educational Training
Customer Service
Enjoyed working with everyone, including staff, faculty and students
Admiinstrative Support Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Answered phones, responded to emails and phone requests, ordered supplies and equipment, typed correspondence, set up meetings, managed general office funds, handled travel arrangements for staff, worked with outside visitors which included contractors, inspectors, architects and vendors.

I enjoyed working with my officer co-workers and had a great supervisor who was always very supportive of me. I enjoyed helping and supervising our part-time student helpers who were very much a part of our team.
I was a master's student at CSUN
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Electrical Engineering DepartmentFebruary 23, 2017
The study and work life balance is good. A typical day will go studying new concepts and working the required task allotted to all student workers
Productive and fun workplace.
Librarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 26, 2017
Nice people here, willing to help. Big library with high working efficiency. Easy working phenomenon.
I work here 15 hours per week and I learned how to deal with the patron at the front desk. I learned how to process the incoming books and sort them, also how to mail them out again. The detailed work strengthen my ability to work alone. But when you need any help, the supervisors are willing to help.
The hardest part of the job might be the computer system. You need to memorize the slight difference between each individual work.
Pros
Free snacks
Great job to have as a graduate student
Teaching Associate - Physics (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CANovember 15, 2016
CSUF's Physics department treats their graduate students very well. I taught Astronomy labs (3 per semester) and enjoyed working with the supportive staff.
Pros
Laid back, supportive department, great region
Cons
Low pay, no room for advancement
Great experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 3, 2017
The salary received is too good.
Not much work as compared to other on-campus jobs.
One can build good contacts with the faculty and learn alot from them.
Hard to find a right mentor
Test Engineer Duties (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95819February 1, 2017
regular school with its own culture and set of holidays. Engineering department is weak and old(equipment). Very little help from the stuff
Nice Insitution
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2017
Good overall culture. Friendly people. Less event compared to other institutes. Departments are not active. They don't keep contact with alumni.
Fun place to be around
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAOctober 30, 2016
Quite happy to work at California State University, Fullerton as a webmaster and customer service executive. Employees and bosses are friendly and easy going. This job has helped me improving my communication and coding skills. Overall, I just love to work here.
best place to work
Manufacturing Engineering Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 26, 2016
One of the best jobs i ever had. Management is very helpful.
Working hours are flexible. Lot to learn. Hands on experience of various in house machines and softwares.
fun and easy learning
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 6, 2016
Good work life balance. good 8 to 5 job with no extra pressure, its good to work here and fun to enjoy with colleagues. if you are looking for faster growth then this is not where you would want to work
Pros
state government benefits
Productive and fun job
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 29, 2016
Prepare, design course materials, syllabus, assignments and activities for students. Grade papers and assignments. Learned to manage time by prioritising important tasks. Co-workers are great, helpful and cooperative.

Challenges:
Designing, preparing materials for class and grading papers at the same time. Also, balancing between meeting up with students.

However, meeting different students from all over the country is the most fun part.
Pros
Discounted staff parking for 1 year
Cons
Little compensation
Productive.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 2, 2017
I was appointed as research assistant for professor. The project was based on wind turbines. This job has ideally helped me to analyze the technologies that could be adapted in construction field.
My professor was very supportive and very informative.
During this job I have attended many conference such USGBC conference held at Los Angeles convention center.
I strongly believe that this job was very productive.
Life as a Shipping/Receiving Lead
Shipping/Receiving Lead (Current Employee) –  CSU, ChicoSeptember 14, 2016
Daily I receive packages and open to verify contents and match to purchase orders. Enter all incoming into our Arrival system and put in correct route for delivery. Set up routs for delivery staff and make sure all vehicles are in operational. Operate forklifts and pallets jacks on a regular day. Off load freight trucks on loading dock. Enter data on PeopleSoft to approve purchases so Accounts Payable can pay invoices. .Maintain log of Warehouse inventory on Excel sheet and counts of all incoming deliveries to our Warehouse. Keep contact with departments via email or phone when items arrive that require information to process items. Work close with Property clerks on all high value items that need to be accounted.
New people ,new friends , new cultures
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAAugust 16, 2016
It was all together a new experience working at california state university fullerton. No pressure best environment to work in. I used to work with people from various countries such as america, mexico, france, germany, england etc. I leaned about their cultures , shared each others food with them. It was fun working at cal state fullerton along with work
Relaxed work environment
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAOctober 27, 2016
The work was very relaxed, with minimum supervision, but the specific job tasks were not particularly for me. A typical work day would consume of cleaning and taking care of the animals in the designated rooms assigned for the day; most work would be completed within 3-4 hours.
I learned some basic skills such as mopping and cleaning in a hygienic manner.
Co-workers could have been friendlier, but we rarely had time to interact while working.
Hardest part of the job was changing rat cages and cleaning frog tanks.
wonderful experience working
Instructional Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 22, 2016
Got to learn a lot...Team work...sharing of experiences....interaction with people from different parts of the world and their way of thinking and doing work helped a lot improving my knowledge.....work made fun was the best thing.....no burden.....never felt i was to do my job since i was enjoying it....everything made to a person's comfort zone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4