California State University

California State University Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work while going to school.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 18, 2016
This place is a fine place to work at while in school earning your degree. The work is not very hard, just tedious. People are friendly and willing to help you when needed. They are great at working with your schedule.
Great place to learn
Graduate Chemist (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJune 14, 2016
Great place to learn with brilliant staff. They really prepare you for a career in science. It is hard work but you will learn a lot.
CSUF has excellent math tutoring center for studnetrs
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJune 14, 2016
Friendly people at the math department. I have learned how to manage the time wisely and efficiently to help students out.
I have gained the ability to know students' mathematical standards in order to help them understanding theories, concepts, and equations
Learned to be independent , self reliant and productive individual,
PROPERTY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CA 93012June 9, 2016
Typical Day:As Property Clerk, my typical day involves a wide scope of responsibilities includes research in classifying the assets the university procured whether it needs to be capitalized or not. Once its been determined, the item is tagged and entered into the database (a series of activities in the general ledger in accounting follows.) Processing surplus is also a daily task.
What I learned: I learned to be independent, self -reliant, do it right the first time attitude.
Management: As a one man team, I developed, maintained and well balanced all the responsibilities of the Property Office.
Co-Workers: I established and maintained a cooperative working relationship with staff, administrators, faculty, students as well as suppliers as well as suppliers and members of the general public.
The hardest part of the job: Co-workers that are not cooperative to the job right.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Working with personnel on campus that are success driven attitude. I also enjoyed all walks of life dealing with people of the general public.
Pros
Good vacation hours, relaxed and friendly atmosphere
Cons
An hour lunch break, good health, dental plan
Productive. Motivating and Learning Experience
ITL Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 7, 2016
Working at California State University has made my technical skills stronger and enhanced my leadership / team work capabilities. It has been a learning as well as growing journey, which has benefited the university as well as myself.
The job was hectic yet very comfortable since my boss and the entire management is helpful and cooperative.
Best place to manage your work and studies
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 5, 2016
It is a program started by dean of Engineering college to help meritorious students to get an internship. I work as a student assistant for 20 hours per week. I am the only one in the office working so no co-workers. It is very good to manage your studies and work due to its schedule of 4 hours daily for 5 days a week. You get the rest of the day for studying.
Pros
Can do your homework when you don't have work.
Cons
No one to talk to in the office.
Exciting and rewarding workplace
Private English and Psychology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 2, 2016
I loved helping students work on assignments, I would help them revise their essays, Moreover, I helped them develop studying techniques for exams. I came up with creative ways to help them study like learning to use study sites like quizlet.
Pros
Seeing students grades and confidence improve
Highly depends on which department you're in
Tech (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 1, 2016
I can only speak for my department, but it's a relatively relaxed environment most of the time. In fact, there are times when it's TOO slow. That said, we still have to show up for 8 hours a day. This is one example of how old-school and stodgy the University functions from a work-practice perspective.

It's near-impossible to fire you after a year, which explains why a lot of incompetent people have been retained. However, there are a lot of truly good and competent people here, so I don't wish to bash everyone.

Not a great job if you're looking for upward mobility, fancy promotions, or especially bonuses/increases in pay, but they pay a decent amount and your hours will most likely not be bad.
Pros
Generally low-stress, FANTASTIC benefits, hours are good, casual dress (in my department)
Cons
Highly bureaucratic, almost no upward mobility, work can be very slow
Enlightening and Bright Environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 1, 2016
A typical day at my work would be teaching children through efficient curriculum's and through play. Interacting with staff, families,and children.
Pros
Cons
N/A
Its a fun place to work. work and play go together.
Admission Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAMay 25, 2016
People are always ready to help and are open to questions. The mentors in the office are very helping and I feel being student and working has helped me grow as a person.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2016
The chair person is really nice. Work environment is very friendly and relaxed. You get adequate amounts of leaves. Moreover the events organized are really fun and helping students is icing on the cake.
good
Cons
nothing
Great place to work with students on a practical basis
Part-time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMay 21, 2016
A great educational institution in the University of California System to instruct and educate college level students on ways to achieve their educational and career objectives to be successful in their pursuits.
Pros
Breat work environment
Cons
Low salary
Decent commuter school, lacks opportunities present in other schools.
Lab Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2016
Cal State LA is a decent school overall. The students here are mostly commuters who want to go to school closer to home. Although the education is decent, this university lacks many of the opportunities and resources that are available to students in other schools.
Quality Assurance Internship
LABORATORY ASSISTANT, PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2016
A.I. Foods, Inc. is a co-packing and private label meat processing company. At their processing plant, a range of meat and seafood products are made, including Philippine-style foods, like Lumpia and Longanisa, as well as sausages, skewered and encrusted items, plus other products, such as bottled preserves, noodles and frozen vegetables. These products can be found on the shelves of Filipino markets and stores like Seafood City. The A.I. Foods Corporation is owned by a family from the Philippines and has operated since the year 1987. The company has recently received GMP and HACCP certification and is progressing towards obtaining SQF certification in the near future.
Under the supervision of the Quality Assurance Manager, one of the main projects assigned to me during my internship was to write policies and create programs and registers necessary to bring the company into compliance with SQF certification standards and requirements. Additionally, to that end, my responsibilities included writing a mock recall and creating the approved supplier program, maintaining the registers of approved suppliers, as well as contracted services and manufacturers.
Pros
Warm, family environment
Cons
Small company, lack of opportunity for advancement
Typical Day
Administrative Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 10, 2016
There is always something new to experience everyday at work whether it's speaking with a prospective/current student, having the VP of Academic Affairs visit the office or just everyday job duties being performed. It is feels good that everyday, in some way, you will be changing someone's life for the better in higher education.
Great place to gain experience in the working world
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CaliforniaMay 10, 2016
Gained through experience in reception work and handling phones. Also had the opportunity to work with other departments and to increase my skills with may computer programs.
Convenience over Comfort
Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 4, 2016
With all the management changes, and the poor management that was coming in, it was more of a convenience to keep the job than to leave and look for another one.
Pros
Very Flexable hours
Cons
poor management, poor hours
Good
CSU Chico Dairy Management Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAMay 2, 2016
Great environment, but minimum wage for hard work. It is a great way to learn and gain experience. You are limited to 20 hours per week as a student employee.
Pros
Great culture, animals, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Research Options for Undergraduates
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CAApril 26, 2016
Great place to work, not many schools offer research opportunities in large number to undergraduate students. Being able to get out into the field in a professional way is an amazing thing.
excellent
Support Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAApril 25, 2016
I absolutely loved this job. Management was very undesrtanding of life events. Was able to meet new professors and staff at the university.

4.3