California State University Employee Reviews

20 years and not much change.
Administrative Support II (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 6, 2015
I've been on campus 20+ years mostly part time. Raises were slow to come and if you are part time you are not valued as much even if you are very flexible and fill in wherever you are needed. As a part - time person you fall through the cracks. I'm sure that people starting now make the same amount of $ that I make after 20 years.

I like the new president.
Pros
If you are aggressively looking to advance and change jobs often you can earn more money.
Cons
If you do a great job and are loyal to your position and department you can stagnate.
Rewarding teaching experience working with students
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 4, 2015
The important factor for being a teaching assistant was to provide the teacher/professor with assistance in helping students with the material and lessons. Working one-on-one with the students to help them succeed and learn what they need to learn was the most enjoyable part of the job as a teaching assistant. The hours were flexible with my schooling schedule and I was able to provide the professor with additional help by answering questions and assisting students with their assignments. The job was not at all hard for me as I have learned and studied the material and lessons previously and I was able to assist every students and tend to their needs with the best of my knowledge. I was also to able to answer all their questions effectively and rarely asked for additional help on my own.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Teaching Experience
Daily task
Administrative Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 26, 2015
I worked for Undergraduate and Graduate Admission where I did the following: Computer input, scanning and indexing transcripts, entering transcripts, filing, downloading applications. Working suspended applications, entering manual and transitory applications, managing bio-demo information, screening/processing in-coming transcripts, processing test scores, check and answer email and phone, process fee waivers, process and batch weekly checks
Pros
Entered acted with students and facility
No room for advancement
Building Maintenance/ProjectSupervisor (Former Employee) –  San MarcosAugust 24, 2015
The job is great, you're always busy and the day goes by fast, but very heavy in politics. Co workers are put against each other by management. Staff have no chance for upward mobility. The best part of this job is the satisfaction of keeping the campus safe and operational for the all students, faculty, and staff.
Great Workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CaliforniaAugust 20, 2015
Fun Workplace, always learned something new.
We schedule events as well as setup/tear-down events. Great management as well as co-workers.
A day in the lab
Research student (Former Employee) –  Labarotory SettingAugust 15, 2015
The atmosphere in the research lab was quite positive. Everyone lab member supported each other and guided the newer members as well. I was able to learn about several different techniques relating to biochemistry including Western blot and Northern blot and I gained valuable experience
a great place to work
DATA CENTER ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 10, 2015
I loved working here overall. My co workers make this place an overall great place to work! Make sure to send in your availability as soon as you can. Because if you don't, you will not get many hours to work.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
short breaks
Good experience and fun people to work with
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 2, 2015
Worked from home and set my own hours. Well rounded with excellent supervisors. Great way to develop interpersonal communication skills and hone programming skills as a student.
Typical Day at Work
Comm. Design Department Lab Monitor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAAugust 2, 2015
I'd help students with any printing issues, as well as dealing with software issues. Make sure the lab was used by only students. Also, helped anyone with any troubleshoot problem they had within the lab, this may include connectivity issues with the printers, computers or software, sound and video issues with the TV's and speakers during their meetings, etc.
Pros
Great workplace, enjoyed helping others, especially with technology.
good hourly pay for part-time instructors
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 31, 2015
CSUF has one of the best programs for part-time ESL instructors.
First of all, it definitely pays more than other similar programs (from $40 an hour).
Also, the program itself is solid with a great working environment.
I would highly recommend teaching here as an entry level ESL instructor.
Pros
many hours are offered even for entry level instructors
Cons
no benefits for part-time instructors
Diverse position with many responsibilities
Ecological Field Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 25, 2015
On a typical day I would check on the welfare of captive wildlife, speak with researchers if changes were necessary, collected data and did vegetation mapping for major wildlife study, maintained buildings and trails, maintained equipment, assisted with reptile thermoregulation studies, acted as liaison between field station directors and researchers, served on board of directors of Cleary Wildlife Reserve. Management could sometimes be a challenge but were helpful for the most part. I got along well with coworkers. The hardest part of the job was building and trail maintenance. The most enjoyable part of the job was having access to equipment such as a wind tunnel and a microbomb calorimeter.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Some heavy labor involved
Meh
Coordinator of Leadership and Student Involvement (Current Employee) –  pomonaJuly 20, 2015
Very political campus. If youre into that, you'll love it.
Students are okay. There heirarchy is overly apparent. Hard to move up.
Pros
benefits, work/life balance
Cons
brown nosing expected
productive place to work
College Ambassador (Former Employee) –  hayward californiaJuly 19, 2015
great co workers, great company, fun and enjoyable team. Team building skills were acquired. Great bonds were created with the students I worked with.
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 16, 2015
Productive and enjoyable workplace. Supportive management extremely heavy student, computer, and phone interaction.
Pros
in school job, set hours, and priority registration
Cons
Work Study based job
Helped organize fundraiser events and keep contact with donors.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 15, 2015
I would help organize events for the college, and keep in contact with donors. This position helped me become very comfortable with Microsoft Office due to the many spreadsheets I would need to create and letters I had to write to thank donors and invite them to future events.

It was a small department at the time, and I had one supervisor, one director, and no co-workers. My supervisor and directer were very nice to work for and were always available to teach me the skills I needed.

The hardest part of the job was overcoming my shyness. I would have to talk to people on the phone that I had never met and speak to them at events. Even though it was the hardest part for me, I also feel like it was the most enjoyable part. Once I overcame my shyness, it was interesting to meet so many influential people and build rapport with them.
Relaxing environment with great management
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 14, 2015
A typical day at work was spent in front of the computer answering e-mails, phone calls and attending to students coming in with questions.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Pay
Its a great place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 9, 2015
My experience made me to meet and work with so supportive people.
Work environment is comfortable and so positive. Meeting with students from different countries is a very good experience.
Challenging but rewarding
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 9, 2015
Great school for its eco-friendly culture and student-oriented environment. I left due to a change in the career plan.
Working with students and families (academic environment)
Educational Talent Search (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day at work was meeting with students on a one to one basis to to review their academic standing in school. In addition, I would discuss a plan of action for them to succeed in high school and continue their education or secure a job after graduation.

I learned to work with a diverse group of students and families to be able to meet each need with a different approach. In addition, my presentation skills improved as well as my translating skills from English to Spanish and vise versa. My passion for helping students succeed helped me create new ways to communicate the motivation for success in life to students.

Time management was huge in this job because I was also in charge of reminding students of of deadlines such as academic workshops. I was also in charge of reminding students know about financial aid applications, SAT/ACT exam dates, and all academia events going on. Furthermore, I had other deadlines to remember such as staff meeting dates and students parent related events.

My co-workers were amazing! We had bi weekly staff meetings in which we discussed our highlights and areas for improvement with the caseload of students. Our meetings were very engaging in discussing ideas on growth, personal development, team work, and leaderships skills. My co-workers shared similar passions for working with students and families and it made work an amazing experience.

The hardest part of the job was having to work with students who you grew to see a growth in and then seeing them graduate and leave to college. Another difficult part of this job was
  more... knowing that you were not always going to see gradual growth from all students. I learned that students may change their behavior in positive direction and then see them take two steps back. I learned some students needed more guidance than others but it did not mean I did not know how to do my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was self-fulfillment in knowing these students were finding their spark. I loved seeing them happy knowing that they had options in what they wanted to do in life. I enjoyed speaking to them about self motivation and success. My most enjoyable part of it all was seeing the growth in them over time. My biggest goal was for them to know that they were never by themselves in trying to succeed but that they did need to become their on version of a go-getter.
Pros
Flexible schedule, team work oriented, open to ideas for improvement, engaging in activites environment, and trips to college campuses.
Cons
Must be enrolled as a student to have the job
Productive, positive, and supportive place to work
Administrative & Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 6, 2015
This place is a wonderful place to work. The team is always supportive and positive. My supervisors and colleagues always provide freedom for us to learn from each other and grow. We make sure we communicate and understand each other's responsibilities. A typical day of work would be greeting each other in the morning, providing updates, and continuously working. During the day, we are always walking down the halls, phone calls, and emails being sent out. There are also students, parents, and visitors who come in person to our office, appointments, or interviews that go on daily which keeps the office busy as well. This office is a great balance of a student-oriented and professional environment. The hardest part of the job was the competing priorities and time management. Due to the time lines and growing unexpected situations, it was hard to manage. However, since we all had the same common goal, it was easy to reach our goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from my co-workers. I loved learning from my co-workers about what they do, so that I can do what ever I can to help. This job is definitely rewarding because the everything we do will make a difference.
Pros
communication and professional development
Cons
Short breaks, commuting, and health care

4.3