California State University

California State University Employer Reviews

Enjoyable research team
Research Assistant (Current Employee), FullertonFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
I really enjoy working with the California State University Fullerton Sociology research team. The two lead researchers are phenomenal at what they do and are very knowledgable. Working at a smooth pace, with bench markers along the way, make for a productive and exciting work environment. I thoroughly enjoy working with CSUF!
Excellent choice for college education
Public Relations Representative (Former Employee), Northridge, CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: resources
Cons: parking
California State University, Northridge is an excellent school that provides classes and resources to better serve students. It serves amounts of courses that are well developed and/or unique compared to the rest of the schools.
very productive and fun working with students and the Professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Fresno, CAFebruary 10, 2014
My Professor whom i worked with was very cooperative and helpful.She helped me in every situation.
The management and my Department was kind too.
A CSU Monterey work day for me...
HR/Employee Fee Waiver Prgm Coordinator (Former Employee), Seaside, CAFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: happy to go to work each day, benefits, salary, advancements, events, management and more.
Cons: state budget cuts hit us hard
Under the general supervision of the Associate Vice President for University Human Resources. Duties are as follows but not limited to; responding to each visitor professionally, welcoming, and with customer-driven service; provides general information on a variety of topics pertinent to CSUMB visitors; exercises considerable discretion and judgment – more... in performing assigned work through the use of a thorough knowledge of clerical methods and office procedures while applying a comprehensive knowledge of CSUMB policies as part of managing the front desk; screen and distribute mail; track and report the department monthly attendance and submissions; maintain department email accounts, including all email correspondence to Staff and Faculty of events, workshops, announcements, etc.; gatekeeper for the Human Resources calendar (conference and meeting room); initial receipt and processing of all resignations; office supply inventory and orders; supervise student assistants as needed; dispense sign in sheets for HR and benefits events and workshops; assist with workshop/seminar enrollments in PeopleSoft. Fee Waiver Coordination - planning, processing and approval; Planning and coordinating all New Employee Orientations; completion of all travel requests and expense claims; assist applicants with any questions or concerns.

I have learned a lot more about time-management, labor relations policies and procedures, diversity and so, so much more....better explained person-to-person.

My co-workers were wonderful. I really love all my CSUMB friends still and we all keep in touch it was voted one of the "Best Places to Work" in 2010 and previous years and that describes it to a tee.

My most enjoyable part of my job was working with others and being able to contribute my experience and abilities to solve problems and assist every customer that came through the Human Resources door. – less
As a for class credit job it was rather nice.
University Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAJanuary 28, 2014
Most of my time was spent grading papers and helping students during office hours. Generally it was not a stressful job but required that I do a lot of work at home. It was a great way to get an idea of how much work it takes to be a university professor.
Academically inclined environment with macro-management conditions
Teaching Associate (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: autonomous role, macro-managed, making a difference
Cons: student excuses, paper work and grading.
My work consisted of teaching 3 to 4 full freshmen communication and public relation courses. I learned how to manage a room full of students, deliver abstract content in simple terms, delegate tasks, manage grades, lecture for over 3 hours, and deliver content through active participation in a classroom setting. Management teaches you the ins and outs – more... of the trade so that you can be self-sufficient. Co-workers are fellow Teaching Associates who are smart and vibrant. The hardest thing about the job was maintaining order during lectures and motivating students to do their best. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the end result of the students' achievements. – less
Casual fun environment
Teaching Associate-General Chemistry Laboratory (Current Employee), Hayward, CaJanuary 23, 2014
A typical day of work would be simply to teach a lab. Management and my co-workers were friendly and it was easy to get help in certain situations. The hardest part of the job is the students but the most enjoyable part of the job is the students.
Great for a part-time student and work experience
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: gave me good hours, flexible and empathetic to school deadlines, and gained good references and recommendations.
Cons: change was imminent, but not handled well, some people weren't respectful at all, work hours only available during school times.
I worked as a student assistant here for over two years and did learn a lot and gained a lot of great skills. On an typical day I would answer phones, emails, and any student questions from the front desk. I would file, copy, fax, walk over important information and interdepartmental forms, and sort mail. Other duties would include keeping all office – more... hours for professors up to date, assisting supervisors and office manager with small projects, and keeping the cleanliness of whole office and break room. Had one great office manager and department chairman, however, lots of change occurred after they left and their replacements weren't qualified. Co-workers were other students in the university and therefore we all got along pretty well, some drama, but nothing too bad. Hardest part of the job was being doubted and mistreated by entitled professors, higher-ups, and frustrated students that took it out on everyone in administration. Most enjoyable part were the coworkers and supervisors; they were good people and some were more helpful than others and still provide me with good recommendations and references. – less
Opportunities to Serve
Information Technology Consultant (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJanuary 20, 2014
The University allows dedicated employees to make a difference and serve with impact.
Fun part is working independently.
Soccer Coach (Former Employee), Chico CaJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: no breaks or benefits.
Fun teaching students how to player soccer. Management was very supportive. The most enjoyable part is traveling with the students to a soccer game.
Good job for a student.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chico, CaliforniaJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: limited hours
Maximum hours you can work is 20. This is good for school, work and life balance but can obviously lead to smaller paychecks than some may need. Free lunch and good hours.
Great Mentoring Program
General Curriculum Counselor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 8, 2014
I enjoyed working with a students over there as a I was a student myself.
Great experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Carson, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: invaluable experience
Cons: the late hour of the class
I was a volunteer for the semester. The experience was very rewarding. I enjoyed the interaction with the students. A typical day consisted of me attending lecture and assisted the professor as needed. The hardest part of my job was making sure I had enough time to provide the appropriate feedback to the students.
CSU Sacramento Citation Processing Student Assistant
Citation Processing Student Assistant (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 3, 2014
My work schedule was the same week to week and I enjoyed having my breaks on time and available coaching as needed from my supervisors. At first, the work was challenging, just until I learned the routine. After that, it was great and the routine we created benefited all of the employees.
CSULB
President (Former Employee), Long Beach, CADecember 28, 2013
It's a great school to be part of and I love studying and working here.
Highly productive and encouraging workplace with great colleagues
Instructional Student Assistan (Current Employee), Fullerton, CADecember 26, 2013
Pros: flexible with school projects and classes
Cons: teams keep changing due to former colleagues graduating
Very flexible, learnt valuable team building and leadership skills, excellent team of individuals to work with.
Challenging leadership with a group of 50 students, tutoring experience most enjoyable
Extremely friendly environment to suit member's exercising needs
Belayer, Equipment Rental, Climbing Instructor (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CADecember 24, 2013
Having worked at the CSUSB's Rec Center for more than two years I learned that the staff takes the time to carefully listen to member's needs and wishes. My typical day working at the rock-wall in the rec center included checking out rock-climbing equipment, keeping the area clean, making sure climbers were safe, preventing climbers from falling by – more... holding their weight with a rope, and providing climbing classes and tips as well as teaching them the knowledge necessary to become climbers. My co-workers at the rock-wall were friendly with fellow members and my co-workers from the rec center were constantly willing to help fellow co-workers. The hardest part of my job overall was getting the necessary hours to make any substantial money but seeing how they worked with a student's hectic schedule it was more than understandable. – less
Awesome research experience
Biochemistry Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 24, 2013
• Analyzing, isolating, and synthesizing DNA, proteins of Arabidopsis
• Tagging lipid transfer protein (LTP3 & LTP4) of Arabidopsis using Gateway technique
• Tagging DNA with designed primers using PCR
• Culture Cells in LB media and agar plates
• Transformation of new DNA into the E-Coli
• Furnish reports, papers, and recommendations according to the – more... results of the studies
• Presenting research results to colleagues and other professionals – less
its a chance to get ahead
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hayward, CADecember 16, 2013
working here will help you get ahead. If you work hard then you will definitely get ahead.
I learned so much about laboratory work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Hayward, CaDecember 11, 2013
A typical day would consist of preparing media and stains, streak plating and inoculating and incubating plates. I learned how to streak for isolation. I learned how to make and inoculate slants and deeps. The management was great as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job was streak plating

About California State University

The California State University offers unlimited opportunities to help students fulfill their personal and professional goals. – Read more

California State University Photos