California State University

California State University Employer Reviews

I learned so much about laboratory work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Hayward, CaDecember 11, 2013
A typical day would consist of preparing media and stains, streak plating and inoculating and incubating plates. I learned how to streak for isolation. I learned how to make and inoculate slants and deeps. The management was great as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job was streak plating
Excellent
TUTOR (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: the job works around a student's schedule.
Cons: it is hard to balance work and school.
I enjoyed the various jobs I had while I worked at CSUB. The job works around someone's schedule. The job is hard because tutoring is somewhat difficult for a variety of reasons. A work day depends on the number of students a tutor has and the center can be hectic sometimes.
Wonderful place to be independent and teach students
Instructional Student Assistant (Current Employee), Fullerton, CADecember 2, 2013
A typical day consists of attending a class of Multivariable Calculus, then preparing a session to review and help students on topics that are currently being worked on. My supervisors are very helpful and supportive.
Great environment, professional staff and hard working students
Lecturer, Part-time Faculty (Current Employee), Fullerton, CANovember 27, 2013
I enjoy teaching in CSUF, Very rewarding, professional co-workers and staff. Very flexible with the method of teaching.
Nice place for an internship
Internship for Political Science Department (Current Employee), San Marcos, CANovember 25, 2013
Pros: helpful staff members, friendly work environment, free food
Cons: unpaid internship, not very exciting
It was a good experience overall. I just wish it was a paying internship.
Head of the Cataloging Dept./Cataloger
Librarian (Former Employee), Fullerton, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: stimulating environment
I created and maintained original cataloging records in all subjects and formats. Enhanced shared cataloging records for audiovisual materials, serials, and other formats as needed. Created and maintained name and series authority records. Resolved complex copy cataloging and post-cataloging problems. Coordinated current cataloging policies in accordance – more... with developing national standards and shifting local needs including writing Cataloging Policy Documents. Enhanced OCLC records, as needed. Executed needed database maintenance and uploads. Worked on special projects, as needed. Downloaded EBL online e-book additions on a monthly basis. Completed cataloging the remainder of the maps for the Library/Patrons Boswell Cartographic Digitization Project. Created macros and advised changes on the load tables to save catalogers’ time and expedite the information about library materials now available in the public catalog. Tested new cataloging software and assisted with development of new cataloging procedures and trained other catalogers, as needed. Lead the Cataloging Policy Team. Participated in ILS Task Force and Digitization Planning Task Force. – less
Being a teaching assistant was a helpful experience to continue working in photography.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Sacramento, CANovember 17, 2013
Pros: free use of the darkroom, lead critiques, interact with students
Cons: short hours, no room for advancement
I will typically show up a little before the class starts, and then right away start evaluating students prints and negatives. The majority of the class I am observing the students answering any and all questions, along with solving any problem with the equipment. I always clean the lab at the end of class, and fix any equipment if needed. The job is – more... quite simple. The current classes I have been the teaching assistant for are all critique based so I no longer need to correct papers. To be honest the most difficult part is not having anyone need my help, due to it being an upper division class. – less
Fund and learned a lot
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CANovember 12, 2013
This job really shaped me for a future job, because this is where i learned how to use all the different Microsoft software. As well as deal with simple office Machinery.
Great environment
Organic Chemistry Lab Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 5, 2013
Working there, I learned a lot more about me then I ever thought I could. I discovered where my strengths and weaknesses were and had the opportunity to work on those weaknesses.I have learned that work conditions change from day to day, that certain projects require individual attention while others involve teamwork.
CSUN
Urban Studies Department- Student Assistant (Former Employee), Cal State Northridge, CaOctober 28, 2013
Pros: flexible job.
Cons: the pay was very low
I assisted the professors with proof reading, typing, making copies of assignments, and any other clerical duties. I learned different programs such as word, PowerPoint, excel, etc. Management was great. I enjoyed working with everyone in the department. My coworkers were very nice. We were all student and we worked well together. I can't think of anything – more... that was particularly difficult. The job was pretty easy and straight forward. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the professors. – less
I taught clinical parasitology
Microbiology Instructor (Current Employee), Carson, CAOctober 28, 2013
I teach the lifecycles of parasites important to human and veterinary health. Management is the supervisor of the clinical lab program at CSUDH. I do not act with coworkers since I'm on campus only one day. Enjoyable part is teaching people who will become clinical lab scientists tropical medicine. Hardest part is fitting all we have to talk about in – more... one semester. – less
I loved being a teacher and the students. Working with other faculty brought both joy and angst.
Professor of Public Policy and Management (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAOctober 26, 2013
Pros: getting paid for something i have a passion about--helping people learn.
Cons: limitations of a classroom and dealing with faculty who did not want to change.
I worked between 8-12 most days, some longer. I was trying to be as current as I could in two somewhat distinct areas: public administration and policy as well as the private sector. A major benefit is that I got to understand both much more because I could see at least 10 different perspectives. I learned about myself and what I valued most about being – more... an educator, which was working with students and assisting them in their journey to being a more well-rounded student and person. I also valued giving them a balanced perspective, turning them into motivated life-long learners and readers, and encouraging them to reach for what they wanted but to first assess what they really wanted, not just what they thought they wanted, that is make sure you have passion about what you want to do with your life. Management was faculty who often did not know or have a clue about managing because that was not their field or they did not have any management experience. Some were great and some were less than so. Hardest part of the job was trying to get faculty to change for the sake of the students. Teaching and interacting with the students was my first love and still is, followed by research and writing for practical learning. My values are diversity of students and thought, ethical conduct by all, reasoned debate, life-long learning, creativity, understanding Gardner's take on IQ, that is emotional IQ in its many forms is just as important to the growth and ability of a person and to be recognized by educators as just as important as grades and tests. There is always room and should be more room made for the square pegs in the round peg room. – less
Educational atmosphere,fun., casua, relaxed work place
Instructional Support Technician II (Former Employee), Hayward, CAOctober 25, 2013
Pros: casual atmosphere, enjoyed interacting with college students
Cons: minimal annual pay raises due to state(ca) budget restrictions
Managed Biology Stockroom, ordered all supplies for the Biology labs and research labs. assisted in caring for live animals and in setting up labs for student use. maintained all service contracts and standing orders for department.
Great learning/academic environment
Associate Teacher (Current Employee), Fresno, CAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: organizations, student/teacher assistance, office space is optional (can relocate location of office hrs)
Cons: office space is located in a dark and isolated place on campus
The campus is busy with activity. Staff and students are friendly.
Great place to work, but no advancement opportunities!
San Bernardino - Testing Office - Test Coordinator (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAOctober 22, 2013
Days usually run pretty quick most of the times, but it all depends on the peak months when the campus run all close to full capacity and most students have classes going on. As far as, the environment goes; it's a great place to work!

Administrative and mostly customer service is what the campus strives for. Students are first, integrity and security – more... are next since all information that runs throughout the campus is confidential.

Co-workers are probably the best part on this campus. Everybody treats each other with respects and working in teams, when someone needs a hand, they are there for assistance!

The hardest part of the job, most likely is the expectations we all have for each position. There is definitely no room for advancement unless you have a degree or obtain a degree while going to the campus. But as far working here, to me it's great place to work; no doubt! – less
Good enviornment
Computer Lab and Technical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: provides health benefits and bonus
Cons: no lunch and snacks
The working environment at the company is really friendly. Apart from the job they organizes lot of activities like get together , parties etc. No constant work pressure or boss complaining about the behavior. Love to be part of the organization.
Great for students who work at the university
San Bernardino, America Reads Tutor (Former Employee), san bernardino, caOctober 16, 2013
Pros: team culture
Cons: pay/benefits
Best time to work there is if you are a student trying to get experiences! or professors!
Standard University Envirnoment
Employer and Job Development Specialist (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAOctober 15, 2013
Working at Cal State Long Beach is great for an individual looking to work at a university. There is exposure to students and education, many different departments and avenues to grow.
LOVE THIS PLACE TO WORK
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SUPERVISOR I (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAOctober 12, 2013
Great environment. Opportunity to grow. One common goal. Casual environment. Great benefits.
A great learning experience
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Fresno, CAOctober 11, 2013
Working as a teachers assistant at CSU-Fresno was an enjoyable experience. The staff was friendly, helpful and provided enough time to complete the given assignment. The management was not overbearing however did require you to be on time. It was an enjoyable experience.

About California State University

The California State University offers unlimited opportunities to help students fulfill their personal and professional goals. – Read more

California State University Photos