California State University

California State University Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 16, 2016
As a student assistant, I was rendering 3D models of different construction drawings using Revit Architecture. Most of the drawing were residential buildings. Also, AutoCAD was using for 2D drawings.
Good work place where I gained Knowledge
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAAugust 14, 2016
It is my most successful period where I can work with lots of group management technical skills with the co-workers and could do all the work in time which was appointed to me.
Work was great pay was okay
Event Coordinator/ Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 9, 2016
Worked as an Graphic Designer/ Event Coordinator for Long Beach State, under department of Engineering as a student. Only con was the paychecks being late as well as the pay amount
Pros
Fun Enviorment
Cons
Long Empty Hours
Diverse staff with a rich tradition
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2016
I found every department helpful and supportive. Teaching online requires non-traditional support, there is always someone to help problem solve. Being off campus is the greatest challenge, however the joy of being available for students online makes it worth all.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Located off- campus
Great mission and good place to work. Compensation lags.
Director, Systemwide Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 8, 2016
CSU has a worthy mission and plays a very important role in providing accessibility to higher education opportunities to the State of California's residents. For every $1 the CSU receives in government assistance, the CSU returns ~$5.43 to the state.

With out the CSU, many young adults would not be able to afford to go to college and this held the same for me when I attended CSULB many years ago. In other words, when working for the CSU, one feels as if they are contributing to a very worthy mission.

However, for my position, when comparing salary and benefits for like kind and quality director positions, the CSU lags to the tune of ~30%-50% less. Opportunity for salary growth is very limited.

We do more with less and still make less.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Salary
Fun Learning Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2016
A fun experience of learning medical assessments. These assessments include medical documentation, interviews, and creating a physical activity routine for clients. The best part of the day is to see improving results for clients and how happy they are with the outcome.
Pros
Learning New Things
Productive and fun job
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 29, 2016
Prepare, design course materials, syllabus, assignments and activities for students. Grade papers and assignments. Learned to manage time by prioritising important tasks. Co-workers are great, helpful and cooperative.

Challenges:
Designing, preparing materials for class and grading papers at the same time. Also, balancing between meeting up with students.

However, meeting different students from all over the country is the most fun part.
Pros
Discounted staff parking for 1 year
Cons
Little compensation
Productive and reliable
Call Center Representative, Admissions (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 28, 2016
They are good place to work and flexible with school or another job.Especially if you are a student like I was it was easy for me to talk with my boss about whatever I may be going through and it's great that they work with you.
Intern Interpreter
Northridge Intern Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 26, 2016
● Accrued 125 hours of team interpreting with certified interpreters in various subjects and classroom settings.
● Debrief with mentors about interpretations of English to ASL, ASL to English and transliteration.
● Analyze personal work and receive constructive feedback from mentors.
● Adhere to NAD/RID Code of Professional Conduct and standard practice.
Intern Interpreter
Northridge Intern Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 21, 2016
I experienced 2 years of interpreting in a number of Educational settings including ASL to English lecture based classes. I was mentored by certified interpreters who gave constructive feedback during each debrief session.
Good Experience
Assistant Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2016
Very Good Experience
Student assistant position gave really good experience
Working on Cisco Devices.
Work and study
Very good place to work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2016
College to study and work at the same time.
Flexible timings with different subjects to balance work.
Very good faculty and also co-operative.
Independent Work
Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 13, 2016
Administration is all over the place. As long as you teach the 900/950 series, you'll be on your own (with some guidance from the 6005 course). Avoid the 805/806/807 series.
I want to be me while at work, not a cookie cutter worker
Academic Support Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CAJuly 12, 2016
Positive work environment, truly a 2nd family environment. Team players, collaborative work environment, dedicated, and fun- just to be able to be yourself and not be a cookie cutter worker.
Pros
Positive, fun, hard working, dedicated and work is work, home is home but able to share both "lives" with each other.
Cons
Negative people, finger pointers, no accountability, not my job complainers.
Decent experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 11, 2016
Despite the fact that teaching here pays for your classes/quarter, it does not compensate enough for the amount of work that TA's have to put in.

Look on RateMyProfessor, the students prefer the TAs over actual lecturers. Going above and beyond for the school is nothing because the administrators here imply that TAs are easily replaceable here.
Was an RA while attending school
Resident Assistant, Resident (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 9, 2016
Truly a great experience while attending school. developed leadership, social, and problem solving skills. I encourage students to engage this opportunity when given.
Relaxed environment
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 8, 2016
Steady and Relaxed environment, usually quiet. I am able to get work done in this environment because I am not usually disrupted.
Great School
Full Time Student/Army ROTC Cadet (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 7, 2016
Great place to get a degree while experiencing what the world has to offer. I really loved attending this university and would recommend it to most anyone.
Excellent place to work
Adminstrative Support Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 7, 2016
Rewarding environment that encourages higher education and continued success and advancement. Staff and faculty make the work environment enjoyable and fast-paced.
fun and easy learning
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 6, 2016
Good work life balance. good 8 to 5 job with no extra pressure, its good to work here and fun to enjoy with colleagues. if you are looking for faster growth then this is not where you would want to work
Pros
state government benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4