California University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews in United States

Nice place to work with a pliable schedule
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  California, PANovember 2, 2015
The university works with your school schedule to help find a job that fits it. The professors are helpful and nice when you approach them. I typically helped other students with their circuits labs. I learned how to appropriately teach students new concepts and expand on what they have learned in class. All in all, Cal U is a nice place to work.
Pros
I got to learn some new concepts on the job
Cons
Low wage
Excellent workplace that challenged my intellect
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PAOctober 13, 2015
This was one of the best jobs I have ever had. It challenged my intellect, allowed my creative side to shine through, and firmed up my presentation skills.
Your typical work study
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PAAugust 16, 2015
Working as a desk assistant is a good job for students as it allows them to work and practice clerical skills while giving them enough time to easily balance their school and work life.
Pros
able to balance school and work easily
Cons
minimum wage and few hours
AStudent assisnat
Student assiant (Current Employee) –  Caslifornia PaJuly 9, 2015
Answering Phone, management doesn't care about there student workers. Conducting tours. I loved meeting new people. learned about housing.
Vision Unclear
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  California, PAJuly 6, 2015
The vision of the university at this moment seems unclear. They are eliminating positions that do correlate with their plans, seems to be a hostile, revenge atmosphere across the campus. There is a poor communication line between employees and management and little job security. Extremely political in terms of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor Communication lines
A fun place to work at.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  California, PAJune 3, 2015
A typical day at work, you will help students with their coursework.

I learned many things by reviewing old classes that I had taken.

The management is very flexible with your work schedule and will work around your class schedule

The co-workers are quiet and keep to themselves for the most part.

The hardest part of the job is trying to teach students who are not interested in learning but only want to pass the class.
Fun enjoyable experience
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  California, PAMay 31, 2015
I enjoyed working in the mailroom at Cal-U. It was a fun experience and the people I worked with were all nice. I liked being able to work and get paid while also going to school to get a degree. I had to do daily things such as sort mail and packages and help the clerks with anything they needed.
Working while in college.
Student Services Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PaApril 16, 2015
Worked as a GA while in school. Great way to earn a little extra money while taking full time credits. Enjoyed the people I worked with and got to meet many new connections.
Music Directing Theatre Productions
Music Director/Accompanist (Former Employee) –  California, PAApril 13, 2015
My duties included teaching and rehearsing music, as well as playing piano for live shows. Over the course of 5 years doing twice yearly shows that typically lasted for 2-3 months, I learned that I greatly enjoyed this process. My coworkers were college students and professors, and I got along with the management very amicably. The hardest part of the job was late hours, and the most enjoyable was the process of teaching the music.
Pros
Performing, making contacts, etc.
Cons
None.
I love my School
graduate asistant (Current Employee) –  department of nursingMarch 24, 2015
I wasn't sure at the first time but it turned into a dream the time goes by. You can find everything you want easily; IT support, fun, educational contribution, friendly people etc.
Smaller University with good academic
Student-athlete (Former Employee) –  California, PaJanuary 16, 2015
Smaller school with great facilities. Classrooms have professors focus on students.
Pros
small campus
Cons
small town
Good Place to work
Captain/Team Member (Former Employee) –  columbus, ohJanuary 11, 2015
Great opportunity to bound with younger kids. Also gave the chance to shape a young mind. Teach them responsibility and discipline.
Productive and Friendly Environment
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  California, PAJanuary 4, 2015
As a Student, It liked the learning environment at CALU. As a faculty, I enjoy teaching, coworkers are nice and cooperating.
Productive work place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  California, PADecember 27, 2014
California University of Pennsylvania is my current University where I am studying chemistry with minors in Mathematics and Finance. While studying here I hold a teaching assistant position for the physics department.
Great place for first job
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PASeptember 30, 2014
this was one of my first jobs and I really liked working here. Would recommend this to any student who is trying to find a work study.
Enjoyable and challenging
Development Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  California, PAJuly 15, 2014
The state universities have unfortunately received less and less funding from the tax payers over the last several years which has forced us to find ways to support and sustain ourselves. Therefore, we strive daily to find ways to engage our alumni and develop corporate support in order to make a college education more affordable for our students. Most of what I do is develop events that will raise money for student scholarships or provide the venue for our staff to cultivate relationships with donors and friends of the university. The hardest part of the job is being able to do the job with diminishing state funded support, however, the most enjoyable part of the job is developing and executing an event plan that continually raises the bar.
Pros
learning environment
Cons
state owned institution with budget constraints
Temp job
Distance Education and Information tech (Former Employee) –  California, PAApril 25, 2014
Flexible hours
Temp job
Small pay
Easy going supervisor
Easy job to learn
temp
nothing major. Short term job. Nice management. small pay but flexible hours.
Alot of Free Time
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PAMarch 15, 2014
Great people. Able to complete any task. Long hours are great for a night owl like me.
Special Event Planning
Field Experience (Former Employee) –  California, PAJanuary 6, 2014
We put together the first "Freezin' 5k" to take place at the university where we raised about 1000 dollars for scholarships. with it being the first we had a lot of freedom to do what ever we thought would work.
Pros
great experience
Cons
some students did not do any work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California University of Pennsylvania. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3