California Veterinary Specialists

California Veterinary Specialists Employee Reviews

Awful management
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 22, 2017
If you’re looking to be nit picked, talked to like a child, and constantly critiqued then this is the job for you. The turn over rate for client service reps is unbelievably high. I’ve seen them lose 3 people in 1 month. They do not train you properly and expect you to perfect things fast. Beware of the client service rep manager, during your interview it all seems swell, and then you’re hired and that ends quickly. Believe the other negative reviews, I wish I had.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Stressful and fast paced environment
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 14, 2017
Poor management. If you don't kiss up and pretend to be everyone's best friend, expect to get in trouble A LOT. Really enjoyed working here because of the fast paced and variety of cases you get to see but not worth the overall stress of trying to figure out who's your friend and who's throwing you under the bus behind your back. Their known to have a high turn over rate for front desk.
Pros
Some nice staff and doctors
Cons
Fake people. Managment
Wonderful career boosting environment
Critical Care Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 1, 2016
This job has by far been superior to all of my past work experience. Not only are you constantly learning, but you are constantly teaching. It's truly an amazing place to start/create your career in Veterinary Medicine!
Very fast paced and very rewarding place.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 25, 2016
As an intern i was exposed to many things. It is fast paced but very rewarding. I interned in their Internal medicine/Emergency department, as well as got to monitor in an orthopedic surger and assist in an MRI scan. There were always hospitalized patients which required TPRs every hour and whatever else the doctors requested. I got to see many patients come in as well as leave fully recovered.
Excellent opportunity to expand your knowledge/skills, great benefits
RVT ER/CC (Current Employee) –  CarlsbadJune 12, 2016
Truly enjoy the knowledge and experience gained from my past 9yrs at CVS. The doctors are very knowledgable and there is ample opportunity to learn new skills daily. I enjoy the fast pace of ER/CC. You have the opportunity to utilize all of your skills as an RVT. Because this is a specialty hospital it is expected that the techs are top notch in their skill & knowledge base, as they are responsible for patient care based on Dr orders. The patients here are generally quite ill, debilitated, or recovering from surgery and the hosp expects staff to be trained a specific way to make sure our patients are receiving the best care. I can see how this can be frustrating for some "green" staff members who can feel like they are not "allowed" to do certain things on their own, however they may not fully understand the disease process or "whys" of certain treatments and need to be willing to take the time to go through the process of learning and the training time that it takes. This is a job that pays really well, offers great benefits, and encourages teaching/training. Management does expect that people are punctual, put in the effort, do your job and follow the rules set in place.
Management has had many changes over the past 2 years and while in the past some things were poorly ran, the management in place now is really working towards bettering the hospital and taking care of the staff and has really made an effort to foster a new culture of positivity.
The most difficult part of the job would be certain individuals who continuously gossip or complain about things that don't impact
  more... their ability to do their job. Under-staffing due to lack of qualified technicians to fill positions.  less
Pros
Excellent benefits, competitive pay, fun people, high quality medicine
Cons
understaffed at times, staff who complain & gossip
Challenging and great at learning new skills. not impressed with management.
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 7, 2016
Enjoy working the same shift each week. This makes it possible to schedule outside appointments because I know what my schedule will be in 2 months. I feel like I am working to live, not living to work. There is much variety in work and always challenging. DVM's are very supportive, understanding and not too demanding. DVM's make sure there is a thorough understanding of each medical case. Management is unpredictable. At times, you feel appreciated and with the flip of a switch, the next day, you can be reprimanded for not following rules that every other department is not following. At times, you are unsure on the security of your job, but it depends on whether they are short staffed. Sick days are a joke and not tolerated unless you have a doctor's note. Ridiculous. Enjoy working with fellow, supportive technicians. But must be on best behavior when supervisors or lead technicians are watching. Each department has their own set of rules that are enforced when it is the supervisors mood for the day.
Pros
Reg. shift/same ea. month. Variety of skills utilized. Great benefits.
Cons
Management is fickle, unpredictable and at times rude.
Busy ER dedicated to saving lives.
Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 7, 2016
CVS is a great place to work as there is so much to learn and so much potential to grow. You get to witness and even assist in fascinating procedures. There is always a cool story to tell at the end of each shift. I learn something new everyday and everyone is always very willing to explain things to me. I really enjoy my co workers, they are all so kind and funny. The hospital is also very beautiful and has state of the art equipment. The hardest part of the job is when you work your butt off and later get criticized for no reason. Its very discouraging and doesn't make me as excited to come to work everyday. They also don't listen to your suggestions and concerns, unfortunately they just laugh at them. At the end of the day, we get it together and we save lives.
Pros
Nice facility, kind people, you learn a lot here
Cons
Short staffed, dont listen to suggestions
I love coming to work everyday
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 6, 2016
I love the fast paced environment, your day goes by so quickly and no two days are the same. I have learned so many things in the many years that I have been with CVS and I continue to learn something new everyday. As for Management, we had some struggles through the years, and now our management team couldn't be any better. My co-workers are my family, I love coming to work and being a part of such a great team. I have never worked for a company that takes such good care of their employees. The pay is excellent, benefits outstanding, the gifts, rewards, bonuses, and parties definitely put a smile on your face and I am constantly praised for being a great employee.
Pros
Pay, benefits, food, rewards, bonuses, parties, praise
Cons
30 minute lunches
productive , fun , lots of work to do.
Technician (Former Employee) –  carlsbad caMarch 13, 2015
Its fun working here if you love animals. You get to see dogs and cats everyday even little puppy's and kittens of every breed. Sometimes you get to take them potty outside. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing laundry and attending staff meetings and seeing surgery being performed on dogs and cats.
Pros
free lunches during staff meetings, seeing animals
Poor management in ER but great staff
Veterinary Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 30, 2014
4, 10 hour shifts, multiple emergency cases throughout the day, more when general practices were closing. The ER doctors are nothing but helpful, kind and honest, always willing to lend a hand. There is constant room for hands on learning, no two days are the same.
The ER management is very tight with the schedule and the overall policy for missing days is absurd. Getting a weekend off is a miracle and a month or two notice is needed. Management is not really willing to move the schedule around either, make sure there is someone you can trade shifts with.
The ER staff, veterinary technicians in general, are very helpful, friendly and efficient. Hardest part of this job would be losing patients after putting days, sometimes weeks, of effort trying to help them recover. Most enjoyable would be seeing those who were once sick, go home happy and healthy. I have seen some amazing results come out of this place, but I also know there is a lot of internal headaches that are ignored.
Pros
Friendly techs, 4 day work schedule, good pay, clients bring treats
Cons
Short lunch, tight schedule, poor ER management
Rewarding position within an Emergency Veterinary Specialty Hospital
Lab Technician/Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJuly 17, 2013
As a lab technician, I performed all in-house laboratory tests, administered medications, filled pharmacy orders, maintained pharmacy inventory, and assisted with medical treatments.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Lousy pay
Fast paced critical care
Client Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJuly 13, 2013
Very busy 24 hour specialty and ER hospital dedicated to saving animals. Working with specialists and critical emergency room doctors in different departments was very rewarding and educating. Saving and losing lives was very stressful and rewarding, showed me what my strengths and weakness are. Working long 10/12 shift hours my Co-workers and doctors became like family. I loved the shift availability. 4-10 hour days working evenings was wonderful. Very poorly managed which made it difficult to grow with the companies changes.
Pros
great health care benifits - team players - saving lives
Cons
poor management, discrimination for growth, not enough praise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Veterinary Specialists. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6