Calpine Employee Reviews

I had a variety of duties
Senior EA to Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I worked as an assistant and personal assistant plus had the freedom to work on the project of building a power plant in the Yucatan of Mexico. Very fun project
Pros
Variety of duties. Juggled alot of hats
Cons
Project ended and the company filed Chapter 11
Job
Operator Technician III (Current Employee) –  Mohave Valley, AZJanuary 5, 2018
Steady job. Due to power plant closing had to relocate. Many opportunities with calpine if you are willing to relocate. Work environment was great and acceptable.
Overtime is abundant!
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAOctober 16, 2017
You’ll have unlimited overtime opportunities when you are employed at a Calpine facility. The power plants are kept very clean. You find you can grow at the rate you’re most comfortable with as you will not be under pressure to achieve unrealistic goals. The opportunity to learn is matched by your ambitions to achieve new skilled, if you are willing to apply yourself you will grow as fast as you like. My experience is you are welcome to take on new projects and encouraged to contribute at your highest potential possible without having the pressure of delay placed upon you. Great work environment!
Pros
Great pay, great overtime, great benefits, stocks
Cons
Lean crews
Control Room Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXOctober 9, 2017
A typical day at Calpine was enjoyable. We had a small team but everyone knew their job aspect and what had to be done. I began as a outside operator and in no time worked my way up to a control room operator. I consider myself to be a fast learner with little or no supervision. I could honestly say that given any task I would be able to fulfill or complete with no problem. Unfortunately, the company had to close their doors and cease operations.
Pros
benefits, stocks, bonuses
Cons
Great company to work for.
Project Administrator, EHS (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CASeptember 20, 2017
This company was a great company to work for. The management staff at the time were very friendly and involved with their employees and committed to make the environment a very relaxed, professional, comfortable place to come to work. They worked hard to make sure that you had all the necessary training to help you succeed on your job.
Pros
Great environment, co-workers and management staff.
Cons
The company relocated from California to Houston, Tx
Great Experience during my tenure
Data Architect/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
I had a great experience during my tenure as my role was Strategic implementation of key systems such as Master data management and data governance, along with data analytics and data science.

Good team to work with, and would recommend folks to join Calpine.
Pros
Great team to work with.
Cons
versatile business
Productive workplace
Executive Assistant to CFO (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 14, 2017
Reported to CFO, which umbrella the Tax Dept, SEC, SOX, Accounting. My manager was very intelligent and easy to work for.
It was located in San Jose so I was able to take the light rail in
Pros
Great working environment
lower cost at any cost
Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJuly 25, 2017
Do more with less due to a buy out. The new management is focused on over working the newly acquired staff to make it look better for bottom line. Management and staff are only concerned with meeting the goals to show they are merging teams and being productive regardless of the out come or staff. Totally mismanaged transition that is pulling apart a successful business to merge into one that is not as successful.
Pros
Benefits for employees - full plate
Cons
pay, hours, lack of communication, management, feeding staff lies
Very competitive
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, TX 75840July 6, 2017
This is a very competitive company to work for with good benefits and 401k is great.The company had grown to large to fast and had to file chapter 11 a few years back.
Pros
skilled people
Cons
past financial troubles
Challenging day to day
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 14, 2017
Enjoyed the fact that the majority of my time was not micro-managed and when given tasks I was able to work independently. My manager was wonderful and always encouraged me to do my best.
Pros
Great benefits
I enjoyed my position until company reorganization
Senior Administrative Assistant, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2017
I enjoyed my role in HR until company went thru a reorganization. My coworkers were positive and supportive. Management changed dramatically during my association.
I exceed expetations
Maintenance and Operations Manager, (Former Employee) –  Keenesburg, ColoradoApril 16, 2017
I have a great work record. I lead by example, keeping all the key players on track for a decisive positive outcome that's safe and challenging to the work force. Upper management needs a better Mission Statement and strategist leading the company values and future.
Pros
Great results
Cons
Some employees need extra training
A place you can learn a lot if you work hard
Plant Accountant, Texas and Southeast Region (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 13, 2017
Calpine is a nice company to work for. I enjoyed working there. The company needs to pay more before employees jump ships. Its investment is deliberate.
Changing Enviroment
Director Development (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2017
A decent place to work.
Calpine has a strong asset base, but decisions making is difficult due to investor pressure.
Management is slow to make changes that could enhance and enable success across business lines.
Fun exciting fast paced work place
System Admin/ Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
Calpine was a fun place to work. The environment is fast paced. The people are friendly and very helpful. They are quick to provide you answers to any and all questions
Poor Management
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 27, 2017
Company has no interest in betterment of employees, how the mandates negatively affect the workplace and add no value, their only interest is in saving money.
Pros
Few
Cons
Too many to list
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 13, 2017
I worked with some of the engineers at Calpine Corporation. The engineers were very productive and courteous. I learned about the necessities of engineers working on a power plant. As a Administrative Assistant was in charge of answering phone calls from the contacts for the engineers. I was in charge of making copies of blue prints of the plant. I also, prepare the room for conference meetings, i.e., ordering lunch, setting up conference telephone, setting out the handouts, beverages and etc.
Pros
Free Lunch, Advance technology equipment
Cons
It was a temporary job that ended too soon.
Company doesnt value employees
I&E Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 20, 2016
If you try to move up in the company it is really hard. It is really hard to get a raise in the company as well. Plant Mangers play favors in whom they hire and don't take your opinion. The VP believes in a large amount of turnover-if there isn't turnover then you are not running the plant correctly. They have good benefits, but isn't worth working at this company.
Pros
Insurance and Vacation
Cons
Micromanging Mangers, Don't value employees, Hard to advance up.
Relaxed work environment but not somewhere to retire.....
Operations Technician II (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXAugust 10, 2016
The plant is in a state of disrepair and management is too concerned about exceeding the budget to fix anything. The job itself is relaxed and the work schedule is awesome. Operations is currently working 7on/7off rotating days/nights. Co-workers are easy to get along with as well.The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the broken and retired in place equipment. Pay raises are on the lacking side. You get one per year and it's less than inflation. (about 2.5-3%max)
Pros
Relaxed schedule, food always being ordered for lunch, coworkers are cool
Cons
benefits need some upgrading, plant equipment isn't fully functional, management needs some guidance, No formal training program
MIddle Management Heavy
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calpine, CAAugust 10, 2016
Corporate Middle Management Heavy
(What's the next emergency)
Meat factory as far as employment (Layoffs every few years)
Layoff experienced workers and bring in less experience to run the Corporate factory
Power Plant personnel overworked and no $$$ for plant repairs
Budget cuts for Power Plants for Corporate high $$$ projects that don't work and are covered up as successes.
Pros
Good Healthcare Bennifits
Cons
Corporate Layoffs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calpine. Our community is ready to answer.