Calpine Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 13, 2017
I worked with some of the engineers at Calpine Corporation. The engineers were very productive and courteous. I learned about the necessities of engineers working on a power plant. As a Administrative Assistant was in charge of answering phone calls from the contacts for the engineers. I was in charge of making copies of blue prints of the plant. I also, prepare the room for conference meetings, i.e., ordering lunch, setting up conference telephone, setting out the handouts, beverages and etc.
Pros
Free Lunch, Advance technology equipment
Cons
It was a temporary job that ended too soon.
Company doesnt value employees
I&E Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 20, 2016
If you try to move up in the company it is really hard. It is really hard to get a raise in the company as well. Plant Mangers play favors in whom they hire and don't take your opinion. The VP believes in a large amount of turnover-if there isn't turnover then you are not running the plant correctly. They have good benefits, but isn't worth working at this company.
Pros
Insurance and Vacation
Cons
Micromanging Mangers, Don't value employees, Hard to advance up.
Good Benifits and Pay
Control Room Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Poorly managed and operated. Not a sustainable business plan due to excessive controls which are not really in control at the plant level. To many levels of management.
Relaxed work environment but not somewhere to retire.....
Operations Technician II (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXAugust 10, 2016
The plant is in a state of disrepair and management is too concerned about exceeding the budget to fix anything. The job itself is relaxed and the work schedule is awesome. Operations is currently working 7on/7off rotating days/nights. Co-workers are easy to get along with as well.The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the broken and retired in place equipment. Pay raises are on the lacking side. You get one per year and it's less than inflation. (about 2.5-3%max)
Pros
Relaxed schedule, food always being ordered for lunch, coworkers are cool
Cons
benefits need some upgrading, plant equipment isn't fully functional, management needs some guidance, No formal training program
Poor Management
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 27, 2017
Company has no interest in betterment of employees, how the mandates negatively affect the workplace and add no value, their only interest is in saving money.
Pros
Few
Cons
Too many to list
MIddle Management Heavy
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calpine, CAAugust 10, 2016
Corporate Middle Management Heavy
(What's the next emergency)
Meat factory as far as employment (Layoffs every few years)
Layoff experienced workers and bring in less experience to run the Corporate factory
Power Plant personnel overworked and no $$$ for plant repairs
Budget cuts for Power Plants for Corporate high $$$ projects that don't work and are covered up as successes.
Pros
Good Healthcare Bennifits
Cons
Corporate Layoffs
great company
IC&E Technician III (Current Employee) –  Clifton, TXMay 11, 2016
Great benefits, great work environment. Excellent pay. Operations and maintenance worker together great to tackle any problems that arise during normal operation. During outages operations supports maintenance to get as many work orders complete safely as possible with the time allowed.
Fun Workplace and Productive
Commercial Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2016
I learned lot of things like technical, management from this company.

I learned ETRM system

I learned about market data, gas flow data
Sourcing Intern
Contracting and Sourcing Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2016
Ok company. Work/life balance is there. Growth opportunities very few. Pay is not competitive. Work can get boring. This is an intern's perspective.
Progressive and foward thinking. To an extent.
Operator Tech (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 19, 2016
Calpine is to big to rate overall. Simply put, it all depends on what management team you work under. The benefits are not bad at all. Pay is not so competitive. The benefits package as a whole very generous and the bonuses are great. Try to stay out of the western region. And try to stay out of california. Few contracts and no real plan or direction for the future in california. This is due to aging plants and changing legislation in california. They have a real focus on developing in the north east. And whatever you do stay out of Hayward/ Russell City Energy Center. This plant has a Bad reputation fleet wide.
Pros
Yearly bonus plan, paid education, room for advancement
Cons
HR employee disconnect in the western region. Hit and miss support from western region admin, and no real plan for western region.
Na
Splunk Developer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2016
Learnt many things with my co-workers and enjoying the work.
Management is too good enough to understand the situations of the employees.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
My first industrial job
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 15, 2015
The highlights from my job at Calpine included designing an Excel spreadsheet to calculate various fluid flow calculations. I also designed a base plate for a R.O. pump. It was a good internship and great to get some exposure to a power plant.
Pros
first taste of industry
Cons
The company itself lacks growth
Less than desirable management
Industrial Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXSeptember 15, 2015
I worked there for 11 months as a IC&E tech. I was falsely accused of falsifying company PM’S. The plant went through 3 plant managers , 1 Operations manager, 1 Maintenance manager , 1 warehouse tech, 2 IC&E techs. If they want you gone they will make up some bs to get you out of there. They plant is falling apart and we were not given the money to make repairs. Not a great long term place to work at. Baytown Energy plant management are back stabbing picks
Pros
Pays great
Cons
Management is less than desirable
Overall a good company with a few very bad managers
Operator Technician II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2016
An excellent company to work for, with a few bad seeds in management. Amazing benefits, good balance of duties for it's various crews.
Good place to start a career in the Power bussiness
ICE Tech III (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, OregonMarch 30, 2015
I was a I.C.E. TECH III, I review any work orders for the day with my pears.
I learned a lot about power plant and how to be a better ICE tech by applying what i knew about electrical,instrumentation to a running power plant and all its systems.
The management was OK.
Great group of people most of us started while the plant was being built so we got to know one another and the plant very well.
The hardest job I had to do was, after one of the turbine bearing caught on fire I had to go into the exhaust tunnel and rebuilt all of the instrumentation that got destroyed.
The opportunity to learn new skills is priceless.
Pros
good starting point
Cons
too much turn around of staff.
Very small tight knit plant, nobody will retire.
Operator Technician II (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXMarch 13, 2015
Working at my job typical day starts at 4a.m. and get off at 4p.m. I have learned about cogeneration working out here. Working with gas turbines and steam turbines and all there inner workings producing electricity. The management out here is not interested in fixing anything until it breaks. Other guys that work out here dont want to retire so there is no room for advancement anytime soon. There really is nothing hard about this job, its very laid back. The most enjoyable part of my job is producing the electricity to be put onto the grid. The company does take very good care of us feed us lunch once a week, always giving us gifts.
Pros
lunches atleast once a week, lots of gifts, jackets etc.
Cons
small plant its like a reality tv show out here with all the drama.
Operator
Instrument & Controls Tech. / Ops and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 18, 2014
 Operate and maintain mechanical equipment such as Gas Turbines, Steam Turbines, Air and Gas Compressors, Generators, Motors, Heat Recovery Steam Boilers, Reverse Osmosis Units, Cooling Tower Cells, Demineralizers and Absorption Refrigeration Equipment to provide heat and power for PG&E and industrial process steam.
 LM6000 Sprint Turbine Qualifications
 Certified for 230kv/13.8kv switch yard
 Gas Turbine Operations and Electrical maintenance, Co-generation plant electrical system and Continuous Emissions Monitoring System
 Jenbaucher V320, 1000 kw natural gas fired engines
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
driving 60 miles to work
I miss this place
SOX Documenter/Tester (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Calpine was a great experience
i learnt allot about compliance, department processes and internal controls of a company.
A typical day included collecting data/testing that data and documenting processes and remediation of weaknesses.
learnt how to build relationships internally
best part was interacting with all the process /business leaders
worst part was having to tell them that there have a control/material weakness.
Productive and fun workplace
IS Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2012
• Support approximately 250 users on the Power Trade floor.
• Support nMarket application across all of the ISOs.
• Extensive Power and Gas Trading knowledge.
• Support Front, Mid and Back office with ISO interactions.
• Support and troubleshoot Excel sheets.
• Write Ad-Hoc queries to query nMarket Oracle Database.
• Write SSIS packages to pull data from Oracle to Sql for Reporting Services.
• Write SSRS reports for users.
• Support In-House Integration processes.
Excellent place to work
MIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 4, 2012
An environment that cultivated learning, many well-educated people who were happy to share their knowledge. Very family-friendly, the annual picnic was always a blast for the whole family. A very caring group of people. I was encouraged to work hard, and rewarded when I did.
Most of the managers really listened to their employees, and the benefits package was improved every year.
The only thing I could knock them down on would be job security, and that was because of the layoffs.
Pros
great family events, good pay and benefits, super people
Cons
a rugged drive to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calpine. Our community is ready to answer.