Calpine Employee Reviews in United States

My first industrial job
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 15, 2015
The highlights from my job at Calpine included designing an Excel spreadsheet to calculate various fluid flow calculations. I also designed a base plate for a R.O. pump. It was a good internship and great to get some exposure to a power plant.
Pros
first taste of industry
Cons
The company itself lacks growth
Less than desirable management
Industrial Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXSeptember 15, 2015
I worked there for 11 months as a IC&E tech. I was falsely accused of falsifying company PM’S. The plant went through 3 plant managers , 1 Operations manager, 1 Maintenance manager , 1 warehouse tech, 2 IC&E techs. If they want you gone they will make up some bs to get you out of there. They plant is falling apart and we were not given the money to make repairs. Not a great long term place to work at. Baytown Energy plant management are back stabbing picks
Pros
Pays great
Cons
Management is less than desirable
Overall a good company with a few very bad managers
Operator Technician II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2016
An excellent company to work for, with a few bad seeds in management. Amazing benefits, good balance of duties for it's various crews.
Great exposure, supportive managers
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 22, 2015
Student interns are given an opportunity to grow and develop in a professional setting, and held to the same standard as full time workers.
Pros
network, grow, learn
Cons
culture
Good place to start a career in the Power bussiness
ICE Tech III (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, OregonMarch 30, 2015
I was a I.C.E. TECH III, I review any work orders for the day with my pears.
I learned a lot about power plant and how to be a better ICE tech by applying what i knew about electrical,instrumentation to a running power plant and all its systems.
The management was OK.
Great group of people most of us started while the plant was being built so we got to know one another and the plant very well.
The hardest job I had to do was, after one of the turbine bearing caught on fire I had to go into the exhaust tunnel and rebuilt all of the instrumentation that got destroyed.
The opportunity to learn new skills is priceless.
Pros
good starting point
Cons
too much turn around of staff.
Very small tight knit plant, nobody will retire.
Operator Technician II (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXMarch 13, 2015
Working at my job typical day starts at 4a.m. and get off at 4p.m. I have learned about cogeneration working out here. Working with gas turbines and steam turbines and all there inner workings producing electricity. The management out here is not interested in fixing anything until it breaks. Other guys that work out here dont want to retire so there is no room for advancement anytime soon. There really is nothing hard about this job, its very laid back. The most enjoyable part of my job is producing the electricity to be put onto the grid. The company does take very good care of us feed us lunch once a week, always giving us gifts.
Pros
lunches atleast once a week, lots of gifts, jackets etc.
Cons
small plant its like a reality tv show out here with all the drama.
Quick Summary
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2015
Everyday I arrived on time, though other employees were not forced to be there on time, We were not micromanaged at all, most decisions were left up to the employee.

I often enjoyed the company wide meetings, as I learned some helpful information at them.
Job was wery intresting and chelenging. I ejoyed it.
Power Plant Mechanic "III" (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNApril 12, 2015
Morning job plan discussion with all plant departments,
fulfill the troubleshoot on equipment, scheduled preventive maintenance on equipment.

. A lot !!!

. Excellent!
. Excellent!
. To work overnight.
. Fridays!
Bad management. Former employee at an Edingburg tx plant
former maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edinburg TxApril 2, 2015
Management is really bad. Calpine needs to evaluate them as they play favoritism. A lot of employees have been let go do to mngmnt behavior. Constant threat of firing. Very non professional
Pros
pay
Enviroment easy going
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 9, 2015
It was an easy going place to work very comfortable. I learned a lot of new programs and uses for my skills. My co-workers those are awesome I am still in touch with many of them now.
Being able to help the people I work with a long with customers I enjoy interacting with people.
Good job, poor managment
Plant Operator & Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 30, 2015
Operating at Calpine is a great position. If your management is good you will have a good time. Work life balance is hard to do when you first start.
I miss this place
SOX Documenter/Tester (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Calpine was a great experience
i learnt allot about compliance, department processes and internal controls of a company.
A typical day included collecting data/testing that data and documenting processes and remediation of weaknesses.
learnt how to build relationships internally
best part was interacting with all the process /business leaders
worst part was having to tell them that there have a control/material weakness.
Operator
Instrument & Controls Tech. / Ops and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 18, 2014
 Operate and maintain mechanical equipment such as Gas Turbines, Steam Turbines, Air and Gas Compressors, Generators, Motors, Heat Recovery Steam Boilers, Reverse Osmosis Units, Cooling Tower Cells, Demineralizers and Absorption Refrigeration Equipment to provide heat and power for PG&E and industrial process steam.
 LM6000 Sprint Turbine Qualifications
 Certified for 230kv/13.8kv switch yard
 Gas Turbine Operations and Electrical maintenance, Co-generation plant electrical system and Continuous Emissions Monitoring System
 Jenbaucher V320, 1000 kw natural gas fired engines
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
driving 60 miles to work
Discrimination
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MaineSeptember 25, 2014
Their website says they encourage veterans to apply, but how many veterans work as Operations Technician/Stationary Steam Engineers.Its all Maine Maritime grad, it's kind of a discrimination issue I would say. On the job training is and always will be the best qualifications for any job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
maine maritime
Plant Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Awesome company. The people are great that's what i miss most. Only reason i am not there is because of the distance from home (5 hours one way).
Power Plant Construction in Hayward
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 8, 2014
I would manage a library of electronic and physical data, delivering manuals and plans to engineers. I was the point of contact between major companies and our own. I learned various computer programs quickly and managed myself daily. The hardest part of my job was interpreting the tasks needed by the engineers, as I am not an engineer myself and I had to learn their lingo. The most enjoyable part of the job was managing myself to complete tasks before schedule.
Pros
great people to work with and so much to learn.
Cons
distance, neighborhood, not much change of pace.
Great Place to work with Great people
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 4, 2013
Calpine was a great company to work for. Employees felt more like Family. We all supported one another and worked well together regardless of what dept. we worked for.

the hardest part of the job when the Calpine was announced it was in Bankruptcy and employees were leaving and moving to other locations and sadly relocated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a great support team of management and employees, and working together in a environment that was comfortable to be in.
Pros
great benefits, pto, bonuses, and employees
Cons
n/a
Productive and fun workplace
IS Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2012
• Support approximately 250 users on the Power Trade floor.
• Support nMarket application across all of the ISOs.
• Extensive Power and Gas Trading knowledge.
• Support Front, Mid and Back office with ISO interactions.
• Support and troubleshoot Excel sheets.
• Write Ad-Hoc queries to query nMarket Oracle Database.
• Write SSIS packages to pull data from Oracle to Sql for Reporting Services.
• Write SSRS reports for users.
• Support In-House Integration processes.
Excellent place to work
MIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 4, 2012
An environment that cultivated learning, many well-educated people who were happy to share their knowledge. Very family-friendly, the annual picnic was always a blast for the whole family. A very caring group of people. I was encouraged to work hard, and rewarded when I did.
Most of the managers really listened to their employees, and the benefits package was improved every year.
The only thing I could knock them down on would be job security, and that was because of the layoffs.
Pros
great family events, good pay and benefits, super people
Cons
a rugged drive to work.
This company still trying to recup from debt
na (Current Employee) –  HoustonJuly 22, 2013
Like any company that is recuperating from debt this company still trying to find the path to success.
Unfortunately, technology takes a back seat; as a result, processes improvement suffers a great deal leaving a major margin for human error.
Morale is low – employee turnaround is frequent – most IT workforce is contract base with no option to perm. Outsourcing is a major player creating a cloud of job uncertainty.

Contract workers contribute to the growth of the company as much and some times more than employees, yet they are not recognized for their efforts in presentations or even included in company Holiday celebrations.
Pros
great office location
Cons
no contractor or employee retention incentive program