Calpine

Calpine Employee Reviews

Quick Summary
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 10, 2015
Everyday I arrived on time, though other employees were not forced to be there on time, We were not micromanaged at all, most decisions were left up to the employee.

I often enjoyed the company wide meetings, as I learned some helpful information at them.
Bad management. Former employee at an Edingburg tx plant
former maintenance (Former Employee), Edinburg TxApril 2, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: Management
Management is really bad. Calpine needs to evaluate them as they play favoritism. A lot of employees have been let go do to mngmnt behavior. Constant threat of firing. Very non professional
Good place to start a career in the Power bussiness
ICE Tech III (Former Employee), Hermiston, OregonMarch 30, 2015
Pros: good starting point
Cons: too much turn around of staff.
I was a I.C.E. TECH III, I review any work orders for the day with my pears.
I learned a lot about power plant and how to be a better ICE tech by applying what i knew about electrical,instrumentation to a running power plant and all its systems.
The management was OK.
Great group of people most of us started while the plant was being built so we got to know one another and the plant very well.
The hardest job I had to do was, after one of the turbine bearing caught on fire I had to go into the exhaust tunnel and rebuilt all of the instrumentation that got destroyed.
The opportunity to learn new skills is priceless.
Good job, poor managment
Plant Operator & Engineering Intern (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 30, 2015
Operating at Calpine is a great position. If your management is good you will have a good time. Work life balance is hard to do when you first start.
Very small tight knit plant, nobody will retire.
Operator Technician II (Current Employee), Texas City, TXMarch 13, 2015
Pros: lunches atleast once a week, lots of gifts, jackets etc.
Cons: small plant its like a reality tv show out here with all the drama.
Working at my job typical day starts at 4a.m. and get off at 4p.m. I have learned about cogeneration working out here. Working with gas turbines and steam turbines and all there inner workings producing electricity. The management out here is not interested in fixing anything until it breaks. Other guys that work out here dont want to retire so there is no room for advancement anytime soon. There really is nothing hard about this job, its very laid back. The most enjoyable part of my job is producing the electricity to be put onto the grid. The company does take very good care of us feed us lunch once a week, always giving us gifts.
Plant Operations Technician (Former Employee), Middletown, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Awesome company. The people are great that's what i miss most. Only reason i am not there is because of the distance from home (5 hours one way).
Enviroment easy going
Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXFebruary 9, 2015
It was an easy going place to work very comfortable. I learned a lot of new programs and uses for my skills. My co-workers those are awesome I am still in touch with many of them now.
Being able to help the people I work with a long with customers I enjoy interacting with people.
Short term work for a 1 month assignment
Data Entry (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: lunch could be taken as your leisure (1 hour)
Enjoyed my brief time there.. Would be glad to return as a full time individual.. Was convenient to get to ..
Good environment to work
PeopleSoft Functional Consultant (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 13, 2014
Calpine is a good place to work with and has healthy environment.
I miss this place
SOX Documenter/Tester (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Calpine was a great experience
i learnt allot about compliance, department processes and internal controls of a company.
A typical day included collecting data/testing that data and documenting processes and remediation of weaknesses.
learnt how to build relationships internally
best part was interacting with all the process /business leaders
worst part was having to tell them that there have a control/material weakness.
Discrimination
Operations Technician (Former Employee), Westbrook, MaineSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: maine maritime
Their website says they encourage veterans to apply, but how many veterans work as Operations Technician/Stationary Steam Engineers.Its all Maine Maritime grad, it's kind of a discrimination issue I would say. On the job training is and always will be the best qualifications for any job.
Operator
Instrument & Controls Tech. / Ops and Maintenance (Former Employee), Fairfield, CASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: driving 60 miles to work
 Operate and maintain mechanical equipment such as Gas Turbines, Steam Turbines, Air and Gas Compressors, Generators, Motors, Heat Recovery Steam Boilers, Reverse Osmosis Units, Cooling Tower Cells, Demineralizers and Absorption Refrigeration Equipment to provide heat and power for PG&E and industrial process steam.
 LM6000 Sprint Turbine Qualifications
 Certified for 230kv/13.8kv switch yard
 Gas Turbine Operations and Electrical maintenance, Co-generation plant electrical system and Continuous Emissions Monitoring System
 Jenbaucher V320, 1000 kw natural gas fired engines
average
tech (Former Employee), texasSeptember 10, 2014
Calpine is an average energy company they have a fairly good benefit package with annual stock grants in place of a pension. They pay on a scale that is just below average making them a good company for those who are new to the field or strait out of college to pick up some experience.
Good Place to work, bad place for growth
FP&A Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 28, 2014
Good workplace culture, for the most part a good work/life balance. Management does not put any effort into retaining employees or growth opportunities. Very little consideration for employee needs.
Daily Adminstration OSI PI Historians
Systems Engineer III (Current Employee), Houston, TexasJuly 18, 2014
Pros: worked with various individuals through the united states
Cons: what is the next emergency?
Managed Corporate migrations to Instep eDNA Historians from OSI PI Historians
Worked directly with Control Systems vendors in creation and manageability of interfaces to eDNA and OSI PI
Handled fleet wide control of systems integrations with eDNA and PI
Managed and installed OSISoft PI Real-time Performance Management Systems
Created, modified PI Points to report data flow from Remote Terminal Units,
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems and Data Control Systems into OSI PI Database\Archives
Proficient with Matrikon OPC Tunneller
Managed PI Security and Trust
Created and Managed PI Archives on PI Historians
Created and Managed Process Book displays for senior management
Extracted data through PI Datalink and on daily basis
Managed and Configured PI interfaces such as OPC, GE , PI MODBUS, DNP3, PItoPI, Siemens, WDPF, Emerson Ovation
Designed and deployed Data Acquisition Technology Solutions like SCADA, ICCP, AGC and EMS
Worked directly with Power Plant personnel to manage control systems on daily basis
Familiar with ERCOT, PJM, CAISO, NYISO markets
fun environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 10, 2014
• Provided interdepartmental assistance including, document control, engineering documentation and submittals, and contracts management.
• Assisted with monthly cost accruals and budgets, and reconciled inconsistencies.
• Generated and distributed monthly progress reports concerning budgets, costs, progress, safety, executive summaries, engineering updates and vendor reports to internal parties such as banks, vendors, and contractors in a timely fashion.
• Processed invoices sent to accounts payable for billing inquiries and payment approvals.
• Responsible for monitoring contractor hours, maintaining deadlines, compiling project data and creating monthly project reports.
• Edited correspondence and certified documented preliminary orders from contractors.
• Prioritized and maintained a cost-effective budget.
• Utilized X-Track business reflex tool to upload and download drawings for engineers; documented transmittals to vendors.
Great
Relief Operator (Current Employee), CaliforniaJune 4, 2014
Overall great company with many oppurtunities to grow. Management has gret attitude toward employees.
Sweet & Sour
Consultant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2014
Co-workers and department managers were all professional, competent and pleasant to work with/for. Unfortunately senior leadership in IT was less than competent, overtly political and a major roadblock on most projects. Odds are that this issue may no longer be relevant as the persons causing the disharmony are most likely no longer with the company,
Great Place to work
Senior Accountant (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2014
Great Place to work
Excellent Benefits
Diversity of people
Company gives to charity
Time well spent
Instructor (Former Employee), various statesJanuary 17, 2014
I traveled to four locations for Calpine and was treated well at all four I would look forward to working with them again.

About Calpine

Calpine may get hot, but it also knows how to blow off some steam. In 2012 the independent power producer and marketer controlled – Read more