Calpine Employee Reviews in United States

Great company, set up a contracts admin dept and system. Also on team implementing Documentum records managgement system.
Manager, Contracts and Records (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2013
Managed 5 employees in contracts and records area. Great team building. Co-workers were great and I learned a lot in the 6 years I was there.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
changes when co filed for bankruptcy.
Quick Summary
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2015
Everyday I arrived on time, though other employees were not forced to be there on time, We were not micromanaged at all, most decisions were left up to the employee.

I often enjoyed the company wide meetings, as I learned some helpful information at them.
Job was wery intresting and chelenging. I ejoyed it.
Power Plant Mechanic "III" (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNApril 12, 2015
Morning job plan discussion with all plant departments,
fulfill the troubleshoot on equipment, scheduled preventive maintenance on equipment.

. A lot !!!

. Excellent!
. Excellent!
. To work overnight.
. Fridays!
This company still trying to recup from debt
na (Current Employee) –  HoustonJuly 22, 2013
Like any company that is recuperating from debt this company still trying to find the path to success.
Unfortunately, technology takes a back seat; as a result, processes improvement suffers a great deal leaving a major margin for human error.
Morale is low – employee turnaround is frequent – most IT workforce is contract base with no option to perm. Outsourcing is a major player creating a cloud of job uncertainty.

Contract workers contribute to the growth of the company as much and some times more than employees, yet they are not recognized for their efforts in presentations or even included in company Holiday celebrations.
Pros
great office location
Cons
no contractor or employee retention incentive program
very exciting place to work
Sr. Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 19, 2012
• Provided direct administrative support to the Vice President of Capital Projects (construction), Vice President of Project Development, the project’s team members including Sr. Counsel, consultants, Board of Directors and other high level officers as needed
• Scheduled, coordinated and organized on and off-site meetings for and with the public, local and government agencies. Prepared meeting distributions, attended meetings and scribe meeting notes
• Coordinated all aspects of travel arrangements domestic and international and maintained individual calendars
• Formatted and composed confidential and non-routine correspondence
Pros
learned a lot about electricity
Cons
got laid off
Enviroment easy going
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 9, 2015
It was an easy going place to work very comfortable. I learned a lot of new programs and uses for my skills. My co-workers those are awesome I am still in touch with many of them now.
Being able to help the people I work with a long with customers I enjoy interacting with people.
Great Location w/Metro Transit
Records Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2013
The employees work in good harmony with one another. My team was small but we were all on the same page. I realized we were not just working for what we could see but for a bigger scope. We are there to build and educate others on green energy. The new wave for a better tomorrow. A typical day of work consisted of researching, data entry, organizing and coding into proper retention scheduling. The hardest part of my job besides the lay off was the woman who hired me is an expert in her field and I wanted her to mentor me but she left after 2wks for another incredible opportunity that would help her to grow her gifts and talents. What I have learned is not to take any moment for granted. It is a blessing to have a job. The most enjoyable was the beginning of the day as I entered the building. I knew I would give it my all. I have learned not to be shaken by your circumstances. All things work together for our good. The seen is only temporary and the unseen is eternal.
Pros
my team
Cons
lay off & supervisor an expert in her field left after 2 wks of hiring me.
Professional but fun place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEOctober 18, 2012
Management cares about you as a person both personally and professionally.

They care about you and advancing you in the company if you so choose.
Pros
location, management
Great
Relief Operator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 4, 2014
Overall great company with many oppurtunities to grow. Management has gret attitude toward employees.
Horrible company
maintenance manager (Former Employee) –  calpineFebruary 14, 2013
Company management has no clue on running a buisness or electric generation. They are doomed for a 2nd bankruptcy. Pay there executives lots of $. Poor ethics, will not survive.
Cons
poorly managed
Power Plant Construction in Hayward
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 8, 2014
I would manage a library of electronic and physical data, delivering manuals and plans to engineers. I was the point of contact between major companies and our own. I learned various computer programs quickly and managed myself daily. The hardest part of my job was interpreting the tasks needed by the engineers, as I am not an engineer myself and I had to learn their lingo. The most enjoyable part of the job was managing myself to complete tasks before schedule.
Pros
great people to work with and so much to learn.
Cons
distance, neighborhood, not much change of pace.
Great Place to work
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2014
Great Place to work
Excellent Benefits
Diversity of people
Company gives to charity
I miss this place
SOX Documenter/Tester (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Calpine was a great experience
i learnt allot about compliance, department processes and internal controls of a company.
A typical day included collecting data/testing that data and documenting processes and remediation of weaknesses.
learnt how to build relationships internally
best part was interacting with all the process /business leaders
worst part was having to tell them that there have a control/material weakness.
Multi Task within various depts
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 27, 2012
Answered phones, kept site visitors log, copied plot drawings, created labels for books and files, assisted the document control clerk with entry of drawings in expedition 6.4, assisted the engineers and start up in locating drawings and manuals, transmitted packages and/or books via ups online to various personnel and vendors, received faxes and mail, assisted the project administration manager with various duties such as coding the invoices and composing the monthly financial book, coordinated the safety trainings with Houston area safety council for all employees and vendors working on site, completed safety report of man hours, responsible for count of all calpine employees and vendors in the event of an alarm, travel arrangements for engineers and managers, scheduled meetings, ordered and maintained office supplies, purchased commodities for the calpine employees, coordinated the construction site trailer(s) repairs, coordinated the furniture purchases and deliveries, assisted the commissioning group with the action item list in access.
Plant Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Awesome company. The people are great that's what i miss most. Only reason i am not there is because of the distance from home (5 hours one way).
Productive and fun workplace
IS Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2012
• Support approximately 250 users on the Power Trade floor.
• Support nMarket application across all of the ISOs.
• Extensive Power and Gas Trading knowledge.
• Support Front, Mid and Back office with ISO interactions.
• Support and troubleshoot Excel sheets.
• Write Ad-Hoc queries to query nMarket Oracle Database.
• Write SSIS packages to pull data from Oracle to Sql for Reporting Services.
• Write SSRS reports for users.
• Support In-House Integration processes.
Short term work for a 1 month assignment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 19, 2015
Enjoyed my brief time there.. Would be glad to return as a full time individual.. Was convenient to get to ..
Pros
lunch could be taken as your leisure (1 hour)
average
tech (Former Employee) –  texasSeptember 10, 2014
Calpine is an average energy company they have a fairly good benefit package with annual stock grants in place of a pension. They pay on a scale that is just below average making them a good company for those who are new to the field or strait out of college to pick up some experience.
Sweet & Sour
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2014
Co-workers and department managers were all professional, competent and pleasant to work with/for. Unfortunately senior leadership in IT was less than competent, overtly political and a major roadblock on most projects. Odds are that this issue may no longer be relevant as the persons causing the disharmony are most likely no longer with the company,
Plenty of work
Confirmation Analyst (Current Employee) –  HoustonOctober 14, 2013
Great company to work for, lots of work and plenty of opportunities.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
plenty of work very little flexibility