Calportland Employee Reviews

alot of hours but low pay for whas expected
Ready Mix Driver (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 29, 2018
this job is good short term. the hours are too long and you will never know when you start or when it will end. There are no set times and you have to wait till five p.m to call the tape to know what time your shift will start. so for example, say you clock in at 1 a.m on a Monday and you clock out at 1 p.m that afternoon. That three hours that you wait to call by taking a nap can negatively impact your sleep time. you call at five and hear that your sart time is at 00:27 a.m. so now you have 7 hours to plan for food and sleep or just rough it out and end up throwing 20 dollars on average to junk food. And since they gave the legal 10 hour restart time they are in the right while you are all but right in there eyes to be tired from lack of time to plan and consume foods that would help you sleep and give you energy for the long shift.
Pros
not labor intensive
Cons
no breaks no lunches and no time for your life
Great job
Cement Mixer Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 26, 2018
I worked there for over 7 years and liked it. The schedule varies daily so you have to be ready. Fast paced environment. You can learn a lot and meet some good people.
Often left in the dark.
Service & Install Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2018
Was often left in the dark as to what was happening. Was seldom informed of up coming projects. I was informed by customers about personal changes with in my department. Including changes in supervision and transfer of subordinates. I found out about some of the benefits when they cancelled.
Not the job for a family person
Redimix Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 5, 2017
My plant voted to go Union in September of 2016. Since that time, management has made working there unbearable. Having multiple charges (60 plus) against them with the NLRB, I'm surprised anybody still works there.
Pros
Independance
Cons
NO breaks, no sleep, no family time.
No further comment
Ready-Mix Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 8, 2017
No further comment for this employer regarding typical day at work, what I learned, management, workplace culture, hardest part of the job, most enjoyable part of the job.
Family feeling work place
Yard Labor (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CAAugust 15, 2017
CalPortland was good to me during the years I've work for them. Great managers and great working peers. The work hours were good, I never had a problem working my 40 hours a week. Good with in house training with safety and power equipment such as working tool and heavy operating equipment.
Pros
No overtime provided
Cons
Steady work
about my job experiance
Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2017
I started my career with a local infrastructure company called Calportland as a maintenance executive. I have handled all the small chores starting with conducting maintenance routine to interpreting technical drawing. Within a few months, my dedication and hard work was rewarded and I was promoted as a senior maintenance executive.

I joined work with Calportland. as maintenance supervisor. I handled major responsibilities such as reviewing and monitoring compliance with the safe work method, communicating with the technical specialists, organizing and planning routine maintenance regime, and supervising offshore maintenance department. With my hard work and consistency, I have proved to be an asset for the company.
The company was great
Accounting / Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAApril 3, 2017
The company was a learning experience for me. Starting in the maintenance department and transfer to the accounting dept the transition was a great one keeping in touch with many of the people i started woking with.
Liked it
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Farmington, ORFebruary 11, 2017
I worked as a maintenance/diesel mechanic. I performed preventative maintenance, scheduled job, which gave me the chance to inspect and schedule repair work in advance while performing needed services. A main concern there was safety, which made me feel good and I credit Management for getting behind that. The culture there was great. The hardest part of my job there was at times the work had to be done out in the field which was a rock quarry, so you can imagine trying to setting large oil pans out in the rough terrain without spilling a drop. The most enjoyable part of the job was the out of 46 pieces of equipment you got to do something different most everyday.
Ready Mix Concrete Driver/CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 9, 2016
• Good co-workers
• Good management
• Hardest part of the job is the scheduling
• The most enjoyable part of the job driving
• Exellent benefits
• I really recommend working for this company
Challenging
Ready-mix Driver (Current Employee) –  DuPont, WANovember 9, 2016
You will call a number the day prior to find out your start time. If no start time, they will call you between 5am to 9am.
MUST join the Union, which doesn't even guarantee you the position.
1000 hour probation, can terminate for WHATEVER reason they want.
Pros
pay is pretty decent, full health care IF you work 40 hours in the month for only 225
Cons
No guaranteed work, lose benefits if hours aren't met, no set start to finish time
Great company to work for, lots of interesting job assignments
Ready Mix Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, OROctober 19, 2016
Great company to work for, lot's of emphasis on safety. Great benefits, starting pay is little low, but it increases rapidly. Concrete mix trucks are a bit different to drive than any other truck. I received lots of training, because I was fresh out of truck driving school. Co-workers and management were friendly and patient with me. Unfortunately I developed an allergic reaction to the concrete mix or the additives or the truck wash used at the plant, and had to resign, too
distracting to drive.
Pros
Home daily, emphasis on safety, fun and challenging job
Cons
Allergic to concrete mix/additives/truck wash
Great Management and Upper Management
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 14, 2016
I like working for CalPortland. Tough job. High stress. Great company but you better bring your A game. scapegoat a lot of the times.
Pros
Very Busy, A lot of work.
Cons
Extremely Challenging, Hard to have balance. Have to be willing to stand up for yourself.
Great environment to work at
Field Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2016
Everyone got along fine. Great benefits. Coworkers were all great to work with.
The hardest part of the job was being on call but that was part of the effort into keep business running.
Easy to get your foot in the door but not much room for advancement
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAApril 18, 2016
Typical day of work is overwhelming to new people. I have learned how to do the most difficult credit collections job using weird software. Management could be better, lacks understanding of industry. Co-workers are fine and social. Hardest part of job is trying to collect on people past due with limited recourse. Most enjoyable part of job is keeping people current and not past due.
Repetitive Work Days
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Snoqualmie, WAApril 5, 2016
I learned how to perform the same tasks day in and day out. Hard to really figure out the goal of the work place with employees views on safety varying so much.
Pros
Starting and ending early in the day
Cons
Same tasks day in and day out.
Great Place
Plant Laborer (Current Employee) –  PHX, AZMarch 3, 2016
It is a wonderful place to work great Managers and everyone take Care of each other. Would tell anyone that wants a fast pace high tempo job to go here
You don’t get any benefits to speak of, you only get paid for what you work to the penny… no sick time, no paid vacation
operations accountant (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAOctober 14, 2015
I was hired as a temp in the last minute, Friday afternoon to start work as a temp on Monday. The agency sent me at CalPortland to start work in the corporate accounting department- six months have passed by and still a temp no offer to start perm. I don’t get any benefits to speak of, you only get paid for what you work to the exact minute - they literally count pennies.… no sick time, no paid vacation. Another company who claims they are not ready to commit to hiring full-time employees in the accounting field. Top managers are very private and have longevity all to themselves, but they do nothing for the temp people they hire as just temp support lots of temps here. These top managers want to use you and then let you go for their own profits only. Just imagine trying to raise a family but continue to work as a temp at this place. For one thing, it’s cheaper for the Managers and their own sake to protect their own pockets. Using temporary labor lets these managers avoid the cost of any type of any additional cents or providing any type of benefits like health insurance, workers’ comp, paid sick leave, holiday pay and the like. There are way too much perverse incentives for top managers and execs to use temps- maybe it's to protect their bonus pays at year-end.

Being a temp does not allow us to have less pressure. Expectations are high, but initial company orientation of new temp hire is limited to vague expectations that change on a daily basis, while the business setting offers a new temp nothing but daily hard work with no rewards to temps. By the time the company
  more... pays a third party these extra fees, they have nothing else to offer the temps who are hard working people with lots of knowledge and skills.  less
Pros
fun group of temps within my same dept.
Cons
They want to hire tmps to do the real work, and keep the oldies as full-time employees
Positive Company Culture
Construction Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAOctober 9, 2015
Supportive and positive work environment. This company is very good at what it does and the employees are dedicated to company and employee success. Relatively small general contractor, but also a smaller local market. Typical day at work includes quantity take off, contact with subcontractors, and preparation of WPCP and TCPs.
Temp Job
Accountemps (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Worked very hard daily as a temp employee Team player, The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the large volume . Learned the SAP system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calportland. Our community is ready to answer.