Calspan Corporation Employee Reviews

terrible
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2017
I recommend this job to nobody. I learned basically everything on my own, management was completely one sided and favored the employees that been there longer then others. I recommend the job to nobody. Never a sure time to clock out. Absolute terrible work experience.
Pros
nothing
Cons
terrible management, unpleasant work environment, little to no breaks, no benefits
Senior Crash Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 3, 2017
Enjoyed working for Calspan and with the employees there. The management team at Calspan was top noch and very caring about their employees.
Horrible place to work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2016
This is one of the worse companies that I have ever worked for. Management is horrible, if you speak your mind, your gone. They do not want you to have a mind of your own. If your in school, forget about it, this company is not flexible and they will tell you nothing but lies during the interview process. Don't help them out and come in on your day off because you will have to hunt them down to get paid.
Pros
Co-workers
Calspan
ramp agent (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJune 13, 2016
Great working environment team atmosphere can always pick up extra hours,managers,supervisors and administration will always try to work with you and help you if at all possible
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No benefits, could up pay
Csa
CSA (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2016
Calspan management is very unprofessional. Low pay& ZERO benefits! There are no scheduled breaks so be prepared to be on your feet for HOURS at a time
Without taking a break.
Cons
No scheduled breaks
Really good Atmosphere
Crash Test Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 2, 2015
As a crash test intern I worked many weeks over 40 hours, usually averaging mid 50's and into the 60's. However, it really didn't bother me. In fact, I wanted to spend as much time there as I could! It was entirely due to the work atmosphere, which, despite the immense workload, was always light and fun. I absolutely loved working there!
Good small company - on the rise
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 11, 2015
Calspan has a small company feel with large company benefits.
It has world-class testing facilities - so interaction with large companies (as customers and vendors) is the norm.
Benefits are very competitive for Western New York area - and the company does as much as it can with extra perks along the way.
Great opportunity for work/life balance.
Calspan isn't a very large company, and therefore sometimes internal opportunities are difficult to come by. That being said, an ambitious person with a diverse skill set will be recognized and go far at Calspan.
Pros
Work/life balace, positive company culture and people
great environment
Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 26, 2015
The staff was great to be around, and they are very professional
the company displayed great communication and team work.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
handleing business
Over worked, underpaid company. Management will take advantage of any salaried individual and will lay off without warning.
Aeronautical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 10, 2015
Cons
Over worked, underpaid, no job security
calspan work life.
Senior Millwright (Current Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYMarch 8, 2015
calspan is a mix of union and non union employees. although everyone works hard together this condition creates much difficulty at times,the job can be very physically demanding, and the business can get slow at times and the work dries up. the job pays well , and there is 4 weeks of vacation time , it is also very close too my home , but I have had too go on strike once and now am laid off due too lack of work.
Pros
pay vacation.
Cons
union and nonunion mix, lack of work at times.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYFebruary 6, 2015
Productive and challenging place to work each day. I have learned to be more regular and critical in the evaluation of myself. Management exhibits a willingness to mentor and foster personal growth. Co-workers achieve to a high standard of excellence. Hardest part of the job is adapting to the face-paced culture. Most enjoyable is the sense of accomplishment you receive by doing a job well.
Pros
Cutting edge industry.
Cons
Rapid fluctiation in industry growth at times.
Ramp Agent
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Niagara FallsOctober 15, 2014
As a 'Ramp Agent' you will jump through hoops to even get the job. You work weird hours and you won't make enough money to support your family. It's $9 an hour it's not worth killing your back, or getting sucked into a jet engine. You will never get a raise and management will fire you as soon as you speak up.
Pros
Free water...
Cons
Management, Pay, and life threatening
Great place
GES Data Entry Analyst/ Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYSeptember 16, 2014
Love working with the small group of individuals. This job gives you the stability you need in life and a work place. The position requires a lot of attention and there is not much talking, a very quiet place but all and all the environment is welcoming.
just a temp assignment
Software Engineer (Contracted) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo NYAugust 22, 2014
20 years ago it was a pretty enjoyable experience
you can do temp work in a down economy
Great manager. I knew him from Comptek.
co-workers were a fun to be with and they got their jobs done
Realizing that it would all come to an end
Getting to do my job in a real team environment
Pros
Great people and boss to work with
Cons
having to let it go (assignment ended and economy was down)
Productive with a Great Working envionrment
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls NyAugust 11, 2014
Fast past Customer Service from booking flight reservations, bagging bags, security information, and boarding flights
Pros
great enviornment
Cons
no hours
Excellent support in career advancement opportunities
Senior Field Coordinator/Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Department of Transportation CDRCFebruary 5, 2014
A contract with a Government where continued support and research was conducted.
Pros
Benefits, Room for advancement
Cons
Flexibility of work schedules
Good pay, good benefits, excellent working atmosphere
Flight Test Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 24, 2013
Calspan is a low budget high tech company. Low budget means they try to squeeze the most out of every dollar, since they are self-supporting and do not get subsidies. High tech means that the main product of Calspan is data, and they use very intelligent, highly motivated people and some very sophisticated equipment to gather that data. You don't see many reviews of Calspan, because people tend to stay there. I was there 23 years, and worked with several people that were there for over 30 years.

I worked in Flight Research, which required quite a bit of travel. I enjoyed the trips, which included Edwards AFB CA, Patuxent River MD, FL, KS, France, Spain, Germany, UK, Sweden and Finland.
Flight mechanics normally travel on the airplanes unless they are just switching out crews. Calspan has a fleet of 20 Series Learjets, a Saab 340, Gulfstream GIII, and an F33C Bonanza. All of them are modified by the Company and fly on Experimental Airworthiness Certificates.

Coworkers are well educated and professional. Not a lot of office drama. Calspan hires well, and plans for long term staffing. There are occasional lay-offs, but they are rare. In 23 years, I was never laid off once. If anything, they are slightly under staffed. That being said, there is no room for dead weight. Be productive, or be gone.

If you have the opportunity, Calspan is an excellent place to work. If it weren't for the location, I would still be there.
Pros
Travel, pay, benefits, people.
Cons
Located in Western NY. Good people, but high taxes & bad weather.
Team Focused Environment
Senior Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 15, 2012
I enjoy the fact that this position requires self-motivation. Additionally, I enjoy the everchanging customers. It is always challenging (in a good way) to get ready for a new test and complete these tests to a customers satisfaction.
Cons
job security