CALTRANS Employee Reviews

Great job!
Associate Governmental Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marysville, CANovember 20, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. I had a great manager and great coworkers. Days were very balanced, occasionally stressful but in a good way. Everyone was very nice.
Medium
Survey Party Chief (Current Employee) –  Marysville, CANovember 13, 2017
The job it's self and the people I work with are good but the people I work for leave a lot to be desired. Safety is very important to me and it is a low priority to management
Office Technician (Typing) (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 10, 2017
No support from management. Very low morale. A pattern of working employees out of class.
Too much discrimination and retaliation.
Benefits are good such as health and eye Care.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Very unsafe work environment
Aimless management
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marysville, CAAugust 21, 2017
Management was good about recognizing family needs and the importance of work/life balance, but they gave employees impossible projects with with to no instruction.
Decently paced, can be fun, good career
Equipment Operator 2 (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJuly 26, 2017
I have worked for caltrans for 10+yrs. Some of the harder parts of the job are being so close to fast moving traffic. Days can be slow at times and other times fast paced. Working with different folks can have its challenges, but learning to work together has its benefits.
Pros
Out in the open air, nice views, possible transfers accross the state.
Cons
Close to traffic (dangerous ), have to be willing to relocate for promotion
Great place and good people
Graphic Designer III (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 23, 2017
Working in Transportation Planning was fun and exciting! There are wonderful people there and made my life whole working with them. I will never forget my experience.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Frequent changes
Operators dream
Leadworker (Former Employee) –  Cajon, CAJuly 12, 2017
Career growth is outstanding in this company if you like to work on the freeways in a fast paced, dangerous position. Many different types of equipment depending on the yard you are working for.
A position of great importance. Fun and stressful but very rewarding
Dispatch clerk (Current Employee) –  Kingvale, CAJune 16, 2017
A typical workday would consist of contacting different area supervisors to know your resources to begin with. As calls come in from different entities (chp, citizens,CT employees etc) evaluate the needs based on the info given and location and communicate with the workers or supervisor in that area what is needed to keep the travel way safe and open.
Pros
Free meals, low cost room during storms and long days, comeraderie
Cons
Healthcare too expensive. Long days and multiple days away occasionally
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 10, 2017
As workers clock in they start there work, as a volunteer I helped the engineers in planning and designing roads and traffic. They briefly taught me how to budget and design roads and traffic.
Great Place to Start
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 3, 2017
Great place to start your career, but has little room for advancement. Salary is based on years spent there rather than merit or job performance. Would recommend starting in the private industry first.
Digital Print operator II (Former Employee) –  Marysville, CAMay 26, 2017
Good work environment, great benefits, great people. Good place for single moms because of all the health benefits and retirement benefits. Although it may be hard to get a state job, it is worth the effort.
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 25, 2017
• No room for boredom, always numbers to crunch.
• Learned the importance of getting the numbers absolutely correct and of course the particulars of the job.
• Management was fun, fair, yet professional.
• Pleasant and enjoyable workplace culture.
• Difficult aspects finishing the jobs on time and the pressure of accuracy.
• Most enjoyment in getting those numbers correct on time.
Pros
Lots of benefits.
Cons
High pressure for accuracy under time constraints.
Outstanding garden and fun culture
Land scaper (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 29, 2017
I loved working for CalTrans, it was a wonderful company and had amazing co-workers. There was always something to learn from that experience. The diversity working with CalTrans was endless. People were really welcoming and taught me a numerous amount of things that i can enforce in my everyday life.
Slow position.
Associate Governmental Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 23, 2017
I worked a lot of of hours with very little workload. That works for some but never did for me. Only three months out of the year was I ever busy. I left for a position that traveled.
Pros
Great people to work for.
Cons
Too slow.
Manage Health & Safety for Employees
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  4050 Taylor St. San Diego, CA. 92110April 19, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of phone contact and emails regarding the Health and Safety Program, set up audio tests for field employees, train supervisors on filing Worker's Compensation claims for their employees, maintain Safety training, log and report all motor vehicle accidents to insurance companies and other various duties.

I learned many programs and charting methods, as well as Safety policies and procedures on a daily basis.

As the Employee Assistance Program and Work Comp. Coordinator, I was responsible for managing employee crisis counseling and facilitating medical treatment for work place injuries.

Working environment was very cohesive.

Hardest part of the job was not having enough time in any given day to complete the tasks at hand.

The most enjoyable was ensuring all employees were safe at work and went home at the end of the day.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
No Bonuses
Work environment can be too relaxed.
Engineer Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 21, 2017
Employees seem to have too much freedom. It almost seems that management does not keep a close eye on the employees and therefore, employees are not as productive as they could be.
Pros
Location is in a nice city.
Cons
Not too much room for career advancement.
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 6, 2017
Great place to help transition into better employment. Staff extremely helpful with assisting each and every client. After finding full time employment, the company gives you gift cards for every full week of work you complete. I would recommend Cal Trans to everyone looking for help, transitioning back to the working field.
positive work environment
Safety (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 5, 2017
this was a good job to give me experience in the work force and taught me how to be a team player. The work environment was pleasant and the coworkers were pleasant.
Productive workplace and clean enviroment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 15, 2016
includes cleaning freeways and homeless camps I learned how to properly conduct freeway safety and supervise others in help keep America clean and safe
Pros
shows you how to use proper way's of keeping america clean
Great Job
Landscape Maintenance Worker (PI) (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CANovember 28, 2016
Days could to from 5 - 16 hrs per day. The hardest part of the job was traveling every week, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great team of leaders.
Pros
Holiday off
Cons
traveling