CALTRANS Employee Reviews

Productive and fun learning experience
Community Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2016
When i was assisting them i picked up on a lump some of knowledge about life and how decisions make or break you at the end of the day work hard and success will come with time. A day at work could turn from simple to hard in a heartbeat we went from just picking up trash to having to landscape the whole side of freeways or cut down trees loading the trucks for 8 hours plus but at the end of the day we had co-workers that were so bright spirited its like we were not working but having fun.The most enjoyable part for me was the labor and the feeling of getting up in the morning and knowing i had somewhere to be so when i get off i feel proud and productive.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
Could be 2 or more assignments in a day
Loved working for Caltrans, DHR
HUMAN RESOURCES ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 29, 2016
Communicating and interpreting people policies and procedures. Designing and developing individual job descriptions. Supporting administration with hiring, benefits, and records. Typing correspondents, memos, and assisted in special projects. Scheduling meetings, photocopies, and fax clerical functions.

Co-Workers were very pleasant and resided all through California.
Pros
diverse work assignments, great co-workers, new technologies, etc..
Cradle to the Grave Career Growth.
Systems Administrator/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 10, 2016
Plan on staying around at least 15-30 years before moving up a very political management ladder. Management at from various parts of the organization do not work or communicate well with their staff.
Pros
Steady work.
Cons
Slow paced political environment
Single audits
Associate mange meet auditor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 14, 2016
Prepare and review cpa audit reports for all city's and county who receive transportation funds over 500,000. Contact finance management to correct the findings on the audit report and write single audits.
Wonderful place of employment
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMarch 25, 2016
Caltrans always provides safety for traveled way. I learned to be professional, proficient, efficient, and loved working in a team! Management was always doing their job! My co-workers too taught me how to be a good Caltrans employee. The is nothing hard at our job. The best part of this job is making sure every one is safe.
Pros
job security
good people
Structural Steel Painter Journyman (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 3, 2016
I like the camaraderie and work ethic of most of the people on our various crews, good cross of age groups and backgrounds. Everybody pulls together to get the job done. The work is fairly dangerous and at heights above 300 hundred feet, so attention to detail is key. Personally ,I like operating the cranes over the side of the bridges to load supplies to the work areas underneath the bridge. It is the most enjoyable part of the job to me.
Pros
paid medical, 12 holidays, 3 wks vac, 2 wks sick and great company picknicks
Cons
not any more than average
Student Assistan - caltrans
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 16, 2016
• Analyzing Traffic Collision Reports to collect data using multiple programs, such as GIS, and resources provided by Caltrans.
• Sorting and organizing thousands of reports down to multiple criteria.
• Mass data entry using an advanced automatic scanner and the program, Kodak Capture Pro. Averaging 300+ reports every 2 hour session.
• Worked in a team environment with multiple students and permanent staff building my intrapersonal skills.
Internship
Civil Engineering Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 11, 2016
Caltrans was a great internship program. I was hired and worked in the office for 3 years. I learned many aspects of civil engineering and working in Excel. Terrific Experience. The other engineers were very helpful.
Great Job
Landscape Maintenance Worker (PI) (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CANovember 28, 2016
Days could to from 5 - 16 hrs per day. The hardest part of the job was traveling every week, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great team of leaders.
Pros
Holiday off
Cons
traveling
Very good work training
Caltrans Equipment Operator II (Former Employee) –  Tehachapi, CANovember 6, 2016
Good pay good hours. Good learning experience. Lots of training. Working in all kinds of weather and environments. Deal with lot of situations and hazards on the highway.
great job
Media Specialist - Current (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 9, 2016
Caltrans is a solid job, you have a good future, good people and it a very nice building. Local places to eat and nice grassy areas to walk, sit and have break.
Pros
security
Cons
san bernardino
Productive CA Department of Transportation
Lead Electrician II (Current Employee) –  North Bay, CANovember 2, 2016
Highest standards in United States Transportation industry. Safety first. Team work, productivity, state-of-the art implementations.
Student worker
Intern/Student Worker Janurary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2016
I worked in the Traffic Operations Systems Department and was responsible for monitoring the Advanced Transportation Management System (ATMS), conducting traffic surveys, ascertaining freeway system failures, reporting problems to senior engineers, preparing reports, cost estimates, monitoring freeway communication board signs, and other related assignments.
Was a great summer program
Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 17, 2016
Learned a lot of things from National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI) and got to teach many interested students about the field of civil engineering.
Great learning experience
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 25, 2015
Supervisors were great teachers and led by example.Variety of work environments allowed for lots of new work experiences. Thorough training with gas powered landscaping tools. Management made sure all crew members were aware of safety issues and procedures .Consistent work hours made it easy to plan appointments and activities outside of work.
Pros
Great co-workers and supervisors
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
overall pro and cons of caltrans
Was a maintenance supervisor (Former Employee) –  Delano, CAOctober 28, 2015
Caltrans is a job that has a lot of peer pressure, a day at work consist of a safety meeting first. The daily routines are guardrail, spraying chemicals, paving or chip seal operations. The hardest part of any job starts with your employee's, there are always issues ether with a employee or among there self.
Pros
There are good benifits and retirment options
Cons
Deal with alot of red tape.
State of California
Office Technician (Typing) (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 2, 2013
The state is a somewhat secure place to work with a good retirement and benefits. The management is rigid in some places and relaxed in others. The hardest part of the job depends on the management style and confidence in allowing a employee to work without micro management.
Most enjoyable part is benefits, retirement and flexiblity in obtaining new job and location.
Pros
good retirement, decent health benefits, can move around
Cons
furloughs, management styles vary; employee recognition low
Excellent equal opportunity employer with good employee benefits.
Caltrans employee/ Claims Officer / Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2014
Worked 35 years at Caltrans and I enjoyed very much working in various fields as I promoted through the ranks. I worked as a roadway Maintenance division entry level employee then advanced to leadworker and supervisor. I was able to take advantage of opportunities in upward mobility as a civil engineer in traffic division operations and claims officer in administration division. I learned a great deal about the organization and the various trades and professions it employed. I also assisted attorneys and special investigators in the legal division and executives in upper management. I enjoyed the professionalism and organization I encountered in all areas and also enjoyed many business relationships over an extended period of time. I have to say personally I really grew as a person with this organization mostly enjoying long time co-workers of all backgrounds, some of them will be cherished also as personal friends as I move forward into other fields of employment.
Pros
Benefits, and an employee assistance program.
Cons
The civil service process sometimes involves too much bureaucracy.
Fun place to work, very good staff.
intern (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Typical day we all have a meeting at the office at 8am with engineers. We talk what we are going to do for the day, either go to jobsites and see the work progress, meet with clients etc.
Pros
Company is a great place to work for employees are wonderful
Love working for the State of California
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 4, 2015
Love working for the State of California, potential for advancements, career ops, varied stable company, easy/varied work load but could use better management training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CALTRANS. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4