Calvin College Employee Reviews

fun work
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 20, 2017
I worked with my school as an intern in their massage clinic and we did a few events at calvin college, the school was walking distance from the college so it was really convenient and I had a lot of fun all of the staff were super kind and helpful and very grateful for the help that the massage therapists were bringing to them
Wonderful Work Experience
Department Assistant to Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 13, 2017
Calvin College was one of the best places I've ever worked. Set on beautiful, well-kept grounds, the heart of the place is the friendly, welcoming staff, administration, and professors. As a forward and open-thinking liberal arts college, it provides a stimulating environment for students and workers alike. The college's commitment to diversity education and acceptance is impressive. I was sorry to see my position end, due to budgetary constraints, after a brief 10 months.
Pros
Access to health maintenance activities, reasonably-priced meals, excellent benefits
Great benefits
Student Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 3, 2017
Heavily Christian Reformed. Great co-workers. Very flexible. I liked my job in the Financial services department. I had a wonderful supervisor. Wasn't hard to get time off work when needed.
Wonderful Environment
Manager of Admissions Initiatives (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 21, 2017
Regardless of the work that you do at Calvin, it is a wonderful place to work. It certainly has its challenges, but the environment is the best I have experienced.
Pros
Challenging Christian Environment
Great campus environment with people who care about students
DORMITORY RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 16, 2017
During my time as an RA, I was simply required to watch over my residents, enforce the rules, and make sure that all of their needs were accounted for during the year that I worked there. People were kind and watched out for each other.
Pros
Good people
Lives up to mission
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2017
Calvin College lives into their mission as few schools do. Everyone from faculty to the president takes the marriage of faith and life very seriously.
Managed and reffed the volleyball tournament
Special Olympics Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 30, 2017
This experience was a great way to get involved. Working with the special olympics was very rewarding. It was a joy filled environment. I learned a lot about running an event.
Good place to be
Fieldhouse Student Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 27, 2017
Calvin College is a great institution for students and staff alike. I am currently a student there and have enjoyed my time studying as well as working on campus.
Fun workplace with interesting people
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 12, 2017
Working as a lifeguard at Calvin College has been incredibly nice. I work with lots of interesting people, the work is straightforward, and the compensation is fair. My schedule isn't strenuous, and the management works very hard to make sure people get hours that works for them. I enjoy guarding here.
A good place to work
Physical Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 28, 2017
Calvin is a good place to work. The administration genuinely cares about the employees. There is good pay and benefits, though the Physical Plant department had it's issues.
Great place, great coworkers, great boss
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Spoelhof FieldhouseJuly 1, 2016
Typically you do your daily assignments, and help on special projects if you have the time. My coworkers became friends once I left, because of school starting up again, and my boss was an awesome guy, but sadly he doesn't work there anymore.
Fun place to work that developed my communication skills
STUDENT DEVELOPMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 4, 2016
My co-workers and I enjoyed our time calling friends of the college and alumni. Shifts were three hours long and I gained great communication skills, specifically phone conversation skills.
The management worked hard to create a lively and beneficial work atmosphere, and was easily accessible.
Pros
Bonuses
Fun and productive work environment.
Personal Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2016
Absolutely love all of my coworkers. Great environment with excellent management and overall balance between my work position and my role as a student and athlete.
Great atmosphere
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 27, 2016
Working as part of the cleaning crew at Calvin College was a good experience because I was able to make a lot of new friends and create new connections. I also learned how to clean efficiently under a certain amount of time. It was nice that our jobs would change on a weekly basis so that we would not get too bored and start slacking at a particular job. The management was good and I had a good boss that cared to ask about our day everyday and that had a good relationship with each employee. He also knew which jobs each individual excelled at and which job each employee preferred. The hardest part of working on cleaning crew was that many of the jobs required only one person and it could get lonely.
Pros
New friends
Cons
Minimum wage
Excellent, good work experience
Internship Academic Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 22, 2016
During my internship I gained valuable knowledge how to conduct business in an administrative role. I learned how to conduct interviews, became better at organizing, attended meetings etc. Management there was also fantastic. People were always open, friendly and always were willing to help.
Student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 12, 2016
Great people, paychecks to help cover my tuition -- what more could one person ask for? But I also experienced working as part of a team, something that I have taken forward into post-college jobs.
dont work here
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 18, 2015
come in and work for hours get lunch clean the dining room and eat diner and then work till late at night. management would sit in their office all day and then come in the kitchen and eat over the food sometimes spilling crumbs into the food.
Pros
free luch and diiner
Cons
pay
Productive and Learning Based
Enrollment Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 8, 2015
It is a college but it gives a lot opportunities for students to work in various areas on campus. It focuses on giving students experience of how will real-life jobs would be.
Good on campus job
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2015
Flexible work hours that made it easy to balance a job and school work. I worked with other students which made work a relaxing environment.
Pros
I could do homework during slow times
Cons
the scanners didn't always work
Academic institution that I work for part-time as well as I attend school.
Chimes Newspaper Staff Writer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 17, 2015
Calvin College is my school. I enjoy working here because everyone has something in common: They love Calvin! I answered phones at the switchboard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calvin College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6