Calvin College Employee Reviews

A good place to work
Physical Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 28, 2017
Calvin is a good place to work. The administration genuinely cares about the employees. There is good pay and benefits, though the Physical Plant department had it's issues.
Great place, great coworkers, great boss
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Spoelhof FieldhouseJuly 1, 2016
Typically you do your daily assignments, and help on special projects if you have the time. My coworkers became friends once I left, because of school starting up again, and my boss was an awesome guy, but sadly he doesn't work there anymore.
Fun place to work that developed my communication skills
STUDENT DEVELOPMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 4, 2016
My co-workers and I enjoyed our time calling friends of the college and alumni. Shifts were three hours long and I gained great communication skills, specifically phone conversation skills.
The management worked hard to create a lively and beneficial work atmosphere, and was easily accessible.
Pros
Bonuses
Fun and productive work environment.
Personal Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2016
Absolutely love all of my coworkers. Great environment with excellent management and overall balance between my work position and my role as a student and athlete.
Great atmosphere
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 27, 2016
Working as part of the cleaning crew at Calvin College was a good experience because I was able to make a lot of new friends and create new connections. I also learned how to clean efficiently under a certain amount of time. It was nice that our jobs would change on a weekly basis so that we would not get too bored and start slacking at a particular job. The management was good and I had a good boss that cared to ask about our day everyday and that had a good relationship with each employee. He also knew which jobs each individual excelled at and which job each employee preferred. The hardest part of working on cleaning crew was that many of the jobs required only one person and it could get lonely.
Pros
New friends
Cons
Minimum wage
Excellent, good work experience
Internship Academic Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 22, 2016
During my internship I gained valuable knowledge how to conduct business in an administrative role. I learned how to conduct interviews, became better at organizing, attended meetings etc. Management there was also fantastic. People were always open, friendly and always were willing to help.
Student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 12, 2016
Great people, paychecks to help cover my tuition -- what more could one person ask for? But I also experienced working as part of a team, something that I have taken forward into post-college jobs.
dont work here
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 18, 2015
come in and work for hours get lunch clean the dining room and eat diner and then work till late at night. management would sit in their office all day and then come in the kitchen and eat over the food sometimes spilling crumbs into the food.
Pros
free luch and diiner
Cons
pay
Productive and Learning Based
Enrollment Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 8, 2015
It is a college but it gives a lot opportunities for students to work in various areas on campus. It focuses on giving students experience of how will real-life jobs would be.
Good on campus job
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2015
Flexible work hours that made it easy to balance a job and school work. I worked with other students which made work a relaxing environment.
Pros
I could do homework during slow times
Cons
the scanners didn't always work
Academic institution that I work for part-time as well as I attend school.
Chimes Newspaper Staff Writer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 17, 2015
Calvin College is my school. I enjoy working here because everyone has something in common: They love Calvin! I answered phones at the switchboard.
I would recommend this college to any one.
Line custodian - housekeeping for a dorm (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 5, 2015
Productive and a good place to work. I felt that I was there as a personal mission to help the students. I also enjoyed being with my co-workers, as working with them. The most part I enjoyed is being on my feet and working with different variety of jobs.
Pros
Discount at the bookstore.
Cons
Good health care, retirement plan
Great working enviroment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 4, 2014
I enjoyed my time working for Resident's Life. My immediate supervisor as well as my head boss were both delightful people to work for and were helpful in my development as a student as well as a Resident Assistant. The work was hard at times but always rewarding.
Pros
Free Room and board
Cons
not salaried
Calvin
Adjunct Professor of Music (Current Employee) –  Grand RapidsJuly 24, 2014
Few students to teach, but they are fairly attentive and excel in lessons.
Interesting work
Biology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 15, 2014
Enjoyed getting to help and answer questions
Grading was boring but doable
Great environment and job stability
Student Activities Office Worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 4, 2014
I have worked in student jobs at Calvin since I began going there. I have always had great bosses and co-workers that created a healthy environment. It does not always pay well, but I got good experience and made a lot of friends.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Low pay
Passionate, committed and productive
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 21, 2014
all ways busy but enjoyable and lovely to deal with students. Friday is me best day after long busy week
Men's Soccer Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 4, 2014
It is a place that you don't leave. The people are great. Everyone on staff is very helpful and are more than happy to assist you if they can.
Student
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 13, 2014
I was a student at Calvin College and kept myself busy with school work, friends, and other activities.
Amazing place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 17, 2013
Everyday was a great day at the college. Great place to work with wonderful coworkers who lifted you up with support.
Pros
wages were great
Cons
temporary position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calvin College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6