Calypso Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
FUN, hard, rewarding job
Commercial Fisherman (Former Employee) –  Port Townsend, WAAugust 27, 2014
Very physically demanding job involving long days, working from daylight to dusk until the freezer hold was full; anywhere from four days to three weeks.
The most enjoyable work I've ever done. Great people to work around too.
Small property very easy to manage
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2014
Loved the residents very small community, always had gatherings we were a small staff we were all team players, nothing hard about this job collections were aleways under 800.00
Terrible place to work for lifeguards
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  CalypsoJune 19, 2015
Calypso is a terrible place to work at if you are a lifeguard, not so sure about the other departments.

First off, your day schedule is pretty bad. The system is a rotation system. Every slide is a position, with your break included. After 45 minutes, the person on break rotates to a slide, the person there moves to the next one, and so on.

After 5 people rotating (5 positions), however long it took for the others to rotate (taking in count the people going to the washroom, talking to coworkers on the way, getting water), you are usually left with a 25 minute break. It's not that bad ( for after 4:30hrs), but some days you only get one, for a 9 hour day. It gets exhausting in the sun for that time, and you can't concentrate.

Some times, there aren't enough staff to fill positions, so they cut breaks or add more time in between breaks, and you get absolutely no break during the entire day. Keep in mind lifeguards work from park open, to park close, and don't work on shifts. Worse part yet, is if you don't get a break, you still get 30 minutes removed for your lunchbreak.

Another bad thing is how they pay you. Many, many times, I've had time docked from my pay. I would work 50 hours a week, and my pay would say 42 (even when counting the "lunch breaks" that I would or would not get). There was also some problems with the hourly rate, they told us after 2 years of working there, you get seniority pay (2 years is how long your lifeguard credentials last), but they switched it up and said 2 years at another pool. Sometimes you would work overtime, and they tell you they
  more... didn't want you to and not pay the extra time.

The training is really bad too. They have had multiple lawsuits, and they responded by doing obligatory training for all staff. The training is pretty much 30 laps around the pool, and sit down and talk about first aid, instead of actually doing training.

A lot of the staff there are very unreliable. They are always looking for staff, because a lot quit, but it's a good source of income for a student. All you need is the lifeguard classes, and you're in. They need about 60 lifeguards a day (if I recall correctly), so almost every day you get called to ask to come in. The reason the staff is so unreliable is because of the unreliable upper staff, and terrible training. A lot of lifeguards can be seen on their phones while guarding, causing accidents.

Other than that, it was alright. We get a discount at the overpriced cafeteria they call a bistro (7$ for half a Cesar salad wrap), a season pass (but after working there 5 days a week, you will probably go for 3-4 days, but it's still nice). You get a bunch of hours, so some paychecks are pretty big. It is however a very unfair environment to work at, but most jobs are like that.
Pros
Tons of hours
Cons
Unfair, no breaks