CAMBA Employee Reviews

productive fun place to work
Youth facilitator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 2, 2015
Fun place to work with at times but can be stressful with lack of structure . The most enjoyable part of the job is watching and helping my students learn
Working with kids
SUMMER YOUTH COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 2, 2015
you get o work with kids which is really fun, youll set up lessons, its like youre a real teacher. The kids are great. I learned a lot like having patience. The staff is like higschool. So much drama. The only hard part was getting the class to settle down. The management plays favorites.
A
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with my clients changing people lives and making them see clearer, better than suffering was joyous. I worked at a Mentally Ill and Chemically Addicted Shelter I preformed many tasks Shift supervisor, Housing Specialist, Clinical Director, Residential Aide, Security Guard, and Case Manger. I became rookie of the month in the first three weeks. When I started, I did not even know I made such an impact in the Park Slope Women's shelter but my years spent working with my clients made my eyes open to see how much helping people in need is beautiful.
Pros
Advancing
Cons
Not taking care of outside of work obligations
Advocate counselor
advocate counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 5, 2015
Great work environment in the office,
Micro managers
everyone for themselves not much team work
unprofessional HR department
Pros
coordinator was the best
Cons
paid to much for health insurance
productive work space enjoy working long hours
After Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn NYOctober 13, 2015
Currently I provide after care services with LINC applicants; I engage and assess clients who are moving out of shelter into permanent housing and enter them into CARES.
I make calls send correspondence to obtain documents to assist with client intake process. I submit FARS to assist with clients paying their rental arrears. I meet with my program director to assess client’s case to determine what course of action HomeBase will take to assist client. I conduct home visits schedule appointments to complete GOMO workshop. I advocate between HRA and other charitable organizations. I conduct Outreach events. enjoy the knowledge I gain from working at HomeBase
Pros
I'm a people persons and work well serving the community
Cons
overly helpful
Worth it
Program Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Co-workers were amazing to work with. Clients were difficult but learned alot about the community. Very informative.
Pros
lunch hour
Cons
low pay
Vibrant workplace
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 26, 2015
My typical day at work would be going through my case load and setting up my services for the day. I learned a lot about the health field and how important it is to see your medical provider. Management was great and my co-workers were very cool. The hardest part of job was the death of a client. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team building activities at the office.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Micromanage you to death.
Productive workplace
Workshop Facilitator/Treatment counselor/ (Former Employee) –  19 Winthrop Street. Brooklyn, NYAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of workshops, one on one counseling and home visits. I learned a lot about assisted living, how to care for clients who were homebound and presentations. Management varied there some who were fair, and there were some who did not consider their staff. my co-corkers were pleasant. The hardest part of my job were the home visits. The most enjoyable part of my job was teaching prevention to high risk clients, ( substance users) showing them how to live better with their choices.
Pros
Benefit package for employees.
Cons
Little room for advancement in career.
High volume, constantly ongoing phone calls, case notes, and communication with medical providers.
Care Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2015
First priority is quality service. Attentiveness to every client is a must. A genuine voice can change a clients day. You must have empathy and experience to handle a great case load; With 50 or more clients your time is priceless and you're being pulled in every direction.Organization skills and time management a PLUS!

When your phone rings and your supervisor is calling you; the first thing you do is pick up your phone ask the client to hold on, and answer your supervisor with a smile on your face.

Getting along with your co-workers is the easiest part of your job. Everyone has a connection and a relationship that compliments each other.

I appreciate what this organization does for each population they touch.
Pros
Strictly 9am-5pm
Cons
Paying out of pocket for home visit. Reimbursement months later
Good place to work with lots of opportunity for growth.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2015
Typical day at work involves tending clients requiring EMS for various reasons from medical to drug inducing episodes. I have learn t obe extremely and understanding of substance abuse individuals suffering from mental health issues. I find management to be extremely pro client.
Pros
Lots of growth opportunities
i'm very good with computers i learn the systems fast.
Reporting Specialist/Client Advocate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 11, 2015
*my typical day will be working in my computer but i also work directly with clients doing advocacy.

*when i first start i was just working on the basic eSHARE and AIRS system that is a reporting system for CAMBA and The department oh health now i learn more about it and also i start working with some others program.

*i management my time very well working here with 4 different programs it really help me a lot and i'm a very organize person.

*i get alone with my co-workers very well sens the beginning i'm a team player i will not have a problem working close to my co-worker and helping each other.

*the hardest part of my job is that because i'm working with 4 different programs i have to pay close attention to my work for not make any mistakes its not really hard but i have to pay extra attention.

*the most enjoyable part is that i get to learn new thing every day i love learning i love working close to my coworker i love keep it busy i just enjoy working and being busy i'm always open to learn even when it goes out of my job descriptions.
camba is a great company to grow they train you in the areas that's necessary which helps you to become more productive
Maintenance Worker/Driver (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 10, 2015
It's a place where you learn human behavior of all types. Once you learn how the business is operated the tools will help you maintain your job well. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company
Family-oriented, friendly setting
Assessment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 7, 2015
Fast-paced work but enjoyable work atmosphere. Co-workers up to Management level employees are well-versed in this field, and their willingness to assist clients and new coming employees.
Pros
Provide supplies to parents whom are in need of clothing for their children
Great workplace but at times workload was slow.
Client Advocate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 5, 2015
I really enjoyed working at CAMBA which stands for Church Avenue Merchants Block Association. The overall staff was great and understanding. Each month we had goals to meet which we met but the work load would be slow at times and we would have to do the case managers work. Benefits were great and it was a very easy going environment. My clients were wonderful and worked well with me and the other staff members.
Pros
Understanding, great benefits, great staff/management
Cons
unorganized
Productive Workplace
Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2015
Great Agency, Tons of work!
Co-Workers are extremely helpful, but supervisors should be a bit more hands on! Easy to catch on.
CAMBA
Janitor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2015
Work days would start after school finished, I cleaned the staircases, bathrooms and vacuumed and mopped when necessary. I learned how to be more social with students around me , meeting new people and my co-workers were very social and happy to welcome me to the job.
it was a great job and i learned alot about helping people with basic skills.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2015
i was i charge of making sure that clients were home on time. I helped prepare there meals. i help them to engage and fun activities. I learned new things from my co workers that help me along the way with life and job requirements.
Compensation and benefits
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 14, 2015
CAMBA is a non for profit community based organazation. CAMBA is an essential oasis for helping people do better. Case management and reports are required constantly. I have learned community networks are important in order to help people to solve the problems in their lives. Micro management can sometimes be overbearing to the worker. Co-workers were a diverse group whereas they helped the case manager understand the different cultures that were encounted by clients.THe hardest part of the job was maintaining a client in the program for 3-5 years from the birth of the baby. It was a pleasure to get the clients gratification when an issue was resolved on their behalf.
Pros
Employee orientated. allows several holidays throughout the year.
Cons
Micro-management
Interesting and productive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2015
My learning objectives involved learning the operating structure of a community-based organization (i.e., CAMBA) and its relationship with the Department of Health (DOH), which includes regarding issues affecting the community: how field work and documentation of outreach efforts comply with the DOH’s requirements, learning how to execute and evaluate community outreach programs and social marketing regarding the prevention of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, and how to identify community needs, organize data entry, administer surveys, and improve skills in data evaluation and data analysis.
One of the interesting experiences I had during my internship was attendance at a local community World AIDS day event. At the event I was able to network with other members at CAMBA’s other branches. I also was introduced to other types of clients that CAMBA serves. It was a transformative experience for me to witness such a huge gathering of individuals with various mental and physical disabilities and financial hardships and to realize the great extent of the needs of communities. I learned that the services that community-based organizations like CAMBA provide, maintains the community’s survival and has a profound impact on the community’s physical and psychological well-being.
a platform to spring to something great.
Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 21, 2015
CAMBA is a great non profit. Would prefer to have staff development training.

More focus on staff and career advancement rather than just numbers.
Pros
Opportunity to work
Cons
Unequipped Management