Cambia Health Solutions Employee Reviews

Stressfull with very poor management
Technology Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORJune 23, 2015
Pros: Good pay, great individaul contributors
Cons: IT Management
Upper Management was terrible.

As an IT Manager I was asked to manage several Agile Development teams. Director was inexperienced, very controlling and negative. Weekly the Director would berate the team and the individual team members. When I went above the Director to inform leadership about my concerns, I was terminated.

I was told that we would have Product Owners soon, but, in the meantime have the development team take on the responsibilities of that role. Six months later and the Product Owner was not hired. I was told by the Director to put the 2 SR PMs on a CAP for basically not being able to do 2 jobs at once SR PM and Product Owner).

Individual contributors were very dedicated and great to work with.
Transforming Healthcare and customer experience
Regence Health Plans -Manager, Marketing (Current Employee), portland, OregonMay 19, 2015
Excellent company with great leadership. Transforming healthcare to make it more customer focus and easier to access/understanding
Great Company
System Administrator III (Current Employee), Portland, ORApril 24, 2015
Great company with wonderful management and very nice, friendly and helpful team members.
An excellent place to learn new things, great exposure where taking initiatives and responsibilities is greatly appreciated.
Fun and great learning enviorment
Clinical Intake Specialist II (Current Employee), Portland, OregonApril 12, 2015
Since I started at Cambia I have learned so much about the healthcare industry. My co-workers and managers have been a great source of knowledge.
Dedicated Staff in Need of Updating Current Trends
Population Health and Quality Consultant (Former Employee), Portland, OregonMarch 7, 2015
Pros: working for the health of the community
Cons: program funding, politics, variation in leadership style
This seems to be a common issue with government health. There is a lack of funding, the staff stay so busy, and nobody ever is able to keep up to date on the latest trends in technology. This is unfortunate, as so many public health staff are very innovative and dedicated to their work.
The type of supervision received varies on the individual characteristics of the direct supervisor. There is a lack of overall supervision. Many staff are left to do their jobs and do them well. The politics are the most frustrating and also work changes depending on funding.
Great place to work, good team enviornment
Business Systems Analyst Support Service Lead (Former Employee), Lewiston, IdahoJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: good compensation and benefits
Cons: job security, budget cuts
Good flexibility, able to work remote. Worked there for over 20 yrs then got laid off. Seniority does not play a role in budget cuts/lay offs.
Personal Care Specialist at Cambia Health
Personal Care Team Specialist II (Former Employee), Portland, OregonJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: health benefits and yearly incentive
Cons: long sit times, technical problems such as slow systems or down time
I enjoyed working with professionals in the medical field they ranged from Nurses, Therapist, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Clinicians and retired Doctors. I would receive request from them to retrieve hospital readmission data and compile a report for them to review and evaluate. I Assigned members with qualifying diagnosis of Heart Disease, Renal Failure, and Respiratory Ailments to the clinical personnel for further evaluation. Reviewed medical records, prepare documents and scan for Behavioral and Case Management Clinicians. Maintain Case Managers reports such as Future Risk Cost, High Risk Pregnancies, and Productivity reports.
Data mined large quantities of data to identify high risk utilizations and route candidates to specific programs. Supported Personal Care staff by researching clinical data, contractual benefits, and reviewing Hospital Readmission Daily Census reports. Responded to request for history of controlled substance and pharmacy data and produced a reports for clinical and utilization clinicians to review. Compile monthly productivity totals and utilize data mining software to produce monthly reports for management to review. Post service claim review, communicated processing instructions pertaining to Providers or Facilities contracts. I learned medical terminology, how to read CPT and ICD codes. The most enjoyable part of my job was finding members to assign to Case Management where they would receive the appropiate level care by a licensed Nurse or Licensed Clinical Social Worker. The hardest part of my job was analyzing large amounts of data and sitting for long periods of time.
A 6.7 billion dollar multi-state, multi-plan health insurance company.
Architect (Current Employee), Portland, ORDecember 24, 2014
As an Enterprise Architect I provide expert advice to senior management and executives (on both Business and IT side) on how to best solve tough business and technical problems. I am responsible for designing and leading the implementation of sophisticated technical solutions for critical business initiatives.
Oversight of engineering and development teams to ensure faithful rendering of the Enterprise Architecture
In the area of team leadership and development I am known for bridging people and processes together resulting in powerful outcomes.
A large part of my work is to influence decision making processes or evangelize sets of ideals in the enterprise. There are times at the decision-making table when I must negotiate to get things accomplished. I am often in situations when I am required to think quickly and on my toes in order to solve problems or lead in making a decision. (e.g.: when it is unclear which existing technologies to use or how to tie them together).
Embedded in Agile teams with Scrum Master experience my role is to assure alignment with enterprise architecture direction and best practices. Skilled in team dynamics and able to motivate quietly and effectively through tense and demanding situations.
I am involved in evaluation, selection, and procurement of new technologies / vendors.
Excellent company to work for, but job security is an issue recently due to outsourcing of many jobs.
Knowledge Management Author (Former Employee), Portland, ORDecember 20, 2014
Pros: excellent profit sharing
Cons: downsizing created stress over job cuts
Excellent company to work for, but job security has become an issue due to outsourcing of many jobs. Pay is par for industry and profit sharing is above average.
Supervisor was superior. We were well trained to do our jobs, and when we had questions the more experienced staff was happy to clarify and coach.
Overall a very good experience, and i enjoyed working at the company a great deal.
We knew for nearly two years that the company was training staff with a company in India to take over many of our jobs, so the downsizing was not unexpected.
No regrets, overall a very positive experience and I would do it again.
high level of stress. no job security.
Service desk (Current Employee), salt lake city, utahDecember 20, 2014
Pros: decent 401k. pay is average.
Cons: high stress due to uncertain future. not enough staff due to layoffs. high turnover, everyone is looking for a new job.
Bottom line, the company is a mess. IT is a joke, so many layoffs there's no support left. Entire departments axed. In one case an entire dept. was let go only to be rehired when the company realized they were essential to day to day operations. That's just one example in many of how this company works. Co-workers are nice enough but when every year more and more layoffs occur people tend to back stab because their fighting to hang on. Not a great environment to work in. Management is far removed from the day to day operations. Good old boy network exists so advancement is impossible unless you know them well or go drinking with them.
Excellent company with a clear cause and desire to adapt to an ever changing industry.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST II (Current Employee), Tacoma, WASeptember 27, 2014
Pros: no weekends, set schedules, great benefits.
Cons: emotionally charged members
This company is dedicated to being a front runner in the health insurance agency and requires dedicated employees who are flexible.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping to bring understanding to members who really want to know what their benefits are and how they work.

The hardest part about this job is having to explain changes that can adversely affect members, such as higher premiums, more patient responsibility, and non-covered services.
Tight margin business
Project manager (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 18, 2014
2% profit margin makes it difficult to do business. From company paid lunches and conferences to layoffs in the blink of an eye.
Great Benefits/poor job security
Claims Analyst II (Former Employee), Medford, ORAugust 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, benefits.
Cons: an industry turned on it's ear by the affordable care act.
5 of the 6 years I worked for this company I was able to work from a home office as a cottage worker. I loved the flex-schedule and the freedom that working from home gave me. Without a commute I had more time to focus on family and home. Cambia was excellent with providing training and accommodations for out of area workers during training courses. I loved the benefits which were both great coverage and affordable - pre-ObamaCare. I would have given Cambia 5 stars, however, I was part of a mass layoff so job security was not a strong score. Turn the dial back to 2012 - wonderful company. Prior to layoff I was transferred to a different office with a Supervisor that had never met me (ever) and I felt like I got dumped after others who did know me and my skill level invested a great deal of time, training and resources into my success.
Poor management at best, but they do hire really great people
Accountant (Current Employee), Portland, ORJune 13, 2014
Pros: able to work from home sometimes
Cons: management
Great place to get lots of experience in the insurance industry. The pay is reasonable and the people they are able to hire are just great. There are common hours that allows a significant amount flexibility in when you need to be at your desk.

You will work the hours of a public accounting firm however. Management is not receptive to feedback and has started to allow unprofessional and bullying behavior to occur which has fostered an increase in team turnover creating additional stresses. There is a "gratitude" program that allows you to publicly thank a person for going above and beyond in their job (both you and the person could win additional money on your check). For one team, the manager is so severe that nobody nominates anyone for fear of getting the person that helped and the person that received the help in trouble.
Management culture is outdated, racism, favoritism and very poor training support
RN Reviewer (Former Employee), Portland,ORFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: disorganized and fragmented orientation and training, minimal cultural diversity, poor management
I worked as a review nurse in one of their program. Honestly , I felt that the training was fragmented and inefficient. I was assigned to a person who was not available most of the time since she was also doing her load of work while training me. System used is difficult and fragmented in the processing, intake people kept sending you IM to take a call while you were still on the phone with other clients , and you need to respond to them by IM while maintaining an ongoing medical review (while typing the information) or the supervisor will give you hell. The phone never stop ringing...and I had to stay 2 hours beyond my 8 hours with no overtime to finish the entry in my computer and this nightmare was a daily basis. I did not know I signed up for this " court stenographer job". I type fast, but I did not sign for this review and type all at one time. The extreme multi - tasking was self defeating the quality of the work. The supervisor was not supportive and have been there forever and have an antiquated approach to management.
They failed all of their Medicare regs and eval..... I am making a guess this is due to understaffing and mismanagement.
The pay and the benefits were excellent, minus the management and the training process. I believe that there was some racial stuff as well.
The environment was gloomy and not as friendly..... noted some unhappy and stressed out employees.
The interview was a lie, or I would not have taken this job in the first place If knowing from the above.........
Busy because I tried to complete that days work on the day it was received.
Lead Claims Preparation/Imaging (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 21, 2013
Pros: benefits; employee cafe; credit union on site; small gym
Cons: downtown portland; parking
Guided employees to what the daily task at hand was. Encouraged employees to increase productivity. Assist with the preparation of all incoming mail to be scanned. Distribute mail to various departments.
Assist in the scanning of documents.
Security Analyst II (Current Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 1, 2013
I have worked for Cambia for 5 years. Work from home full time. Good place to work with ok benefits. Management is ok. Looking for new challenges
Financial
Corporate Tax Accountant (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 1, 2013
Pros: always given opportunties for growth.
Cons: due to economy, company had to make hard choices to let seasoned employees go.
Coordinate and administer 1099 process (For 65,000 providers, vendors and brokers)
Manage B-Notice requirements
Prepare Sales & Use Tax returns and payments
Reviewed accounts payable entries for accurancy related to sales and use tax entries.
Prepare correspondence as needed either externally or internally.
Answer external and internal phone calls.
Process incoming and outgoing mail.
Maintain retention file
Prepare and process journal entries.
Bigger isn't Better
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 29, 2013
Pros: the pay and benefits are a little above average. good paid-time-off.
Cons: poor job security and lots of trust issues. just a "behind your back" kind of place in general.
First of all, Cambia/Regence/Blue Cross-Blue Shield went through a lot of changes in the last 20 years. It used to be four totally separate insurance companies in Oregon, Washington, Utah and Idaho. Each of them had their own company culture and values. I spent all my time in the Oregon plan. Around 1997, they decided to merge together like several other Blue Cross plans across the US. That's when the company started to fail. They can't get the computer systems to work together, the cultures clashed, and big new divisions (like Marketing) appeared out of nowhere. Now they're using the insurance business revenues to invest in other companies too. The top executives get paychecks from all four states, so they make a lot more money than they used to. As far as I can tell, they are the only people to have come out of the merger better off. Now employees and their bosses might work hundred of miles apart and rarely see each other. When performance review time comes around, people in other states who barely know you get to contribute to your review, even if they've never worked with you. Each state thinks they do things the "right" way and everybody else is wrong. It's a giant mess and it's made everyone more difficult to work with.
Very Poor In Work/Life Balance
Software Quality Assurance (Current Employee), Portland, ORJune 23, 2013
The benefits are good and competitive with other IT businesses, but the expected work day is 9 hours or longer with little time for family and life activities outside of work.