Cambridge Eating Disorder Center

Cambridge Eating Disorder Center Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: unpaid breaks
A typical day at the Cambridge Eating Disorder Center would be to first arrive and check how many patients are on the unit. I look through their files and familiarize myself with their current issues and what brought them to CEDC. The other staff members and I would decide who is going to prepare the dinner for the residents and who will be taking them for a walk and dispensing medication. While preparing the meals, I needed to measure each portion of food out according to each residents' dietary guidelines placed by the nutritionist. This is the same for each snack. I then meet with a few of the residents to discuss their stressors and how I can assist them in providing appropriate coping skills. At the end of the shift, another staff member or I gather all of the residents and discuss hi and low parts of the day. The best part of my day was always meeting the residents and helping them cope with their stressors. This was rewarding for me because I enjoy helping people. The hardest part of the job was trying to help a resident that did not want to be helped.
Good Starter Job, Then Move On
Case Manager (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 21, 2013
Pros: location, intelligent co-workers
Cons: low pay, poor training, understaffed
The best part of working at CEDC is that the staff members tend to be highly intelligent, compassionate young clinicians. The second best part is that (because there is very little training and supervision) there is a greater amount of independence allowed than in most centers. This can be a positive, for the right staff member, but often leads to a general feeling among staff that there is little support or recognition and poor training.

The worst part of working at CEDC is that the clinical director is also the owner. This means that a great majority of all greatly influential decisions (number of staff:patient ratio, length of stay for patients, whether a patient should be admitted or not due to medical or safety reasons, extreme lack of training) and minor decisions (not buying berries for the patients in the winter because they are too expensive) are colored with financial motives. If you do decide to work here, I recommend knowing what you are getting into by talking to a current employee and considering this a short term job to gain experience.
A supportive and educational environment
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 17, 2013
At CEDC, I was able to work with girls ages 13+ in treating eating disorders. The center provided me with fantastic hands on experience in facilitating group therapy session, providing support for patients, becoming familiarized with clinical paperwork, intakes, and overall treatment for residential programs. The staff is dedicated and eager to share their bountiful knowledge. The best part of the job is interacting with the patients, engaging in check-ins and running therapeutic meals and group sessions. I felt this all added to my experience as a social worker and has made me eager to advance in the field.
Overall
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 16, 2013
Pros: good starter job for student.
Cons: no advancement
Job is nothing like the job description. You are asked to have a degree, however you do not really need one when it come to some of the task you have to do like flush the bathroom for a patient or sit in on meals. A lot of the some patients cycle in and again which seems like some program approaches need to be changed.

April 18, 2013

The Residential Counselor position is very much an entry level position which allows recent graduates with a psychology degree to gain valuable experience in the mental health treatment of eating disorders. Eating Disorders are a serious physical and mental health concern. Relapses are common. As a general guideline, it appears that one third of patients fully recover, one third retain sub-threshold symptoms, and one third maintain a chronic eating disorder. The fact that some patients may return for treatment is a characteristic of the illness and not an indication of the standard of treatment received.