Cameron University Employee Reviews

Educational and Management Skills
Graduate Research Assistant/Asst. Editor (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 22, 2013
A typical day would entail reviewing academic papers from professors across the country who desire publication in the journal. For example, I would have to edit the papers including the references to ensure correct style. In addition, I would research and prepare presentations on projects such as the consumer price index. I did not only assist the professors with grading the examinations, but also assisted with invigilation of them.
I developed my critical thinking skills even more as well as management skills as a result of the different projects such as business forums we helped to present. These projects allowed me to better cultivate the software available. Most of the my duties necessitated working with colleagues to ensure the success of the project. I learned to to delegate to ensure quality use of time and skills. The hardest part of the job was balancing my work life with my student life since I had a full complement of classes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the autonomy and empowerment I had to complete and initiate the projects.
Pros
development of management, research, and critical thinking skills
Cons
lack of benefits such as insurance or healthcare
Fun place to work daily
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 4, 2014
Over all daily activities were patrolling the campus learning where everything was at. Securing the buildings when needed. I learned that a college campus is a completely different environment than that of working a city as an officer. Co-workers were great to work with and could be depended on when needed. Hardest part of the job would be having to work the holidays when everyone else is home with their family and friends. Working all hours of the day and night depending on what shift your assigned to. The best part of the job was meeting different types of people on campus both students and faculty. It was for the most part a very relaxed and fun place to work.
Pros
watching how the students were able to better their lives and make something of them selfs.
Cons
working odd hours and holidays
Great opportunity to effect lives
ITS Technician (Former Employee) –  Duncan, OKNovember 21, 2012
The staff are great. The Director of the Duncan campus is very difficult for which to work as she does not understand a tech's personality and way of thinking. She is a micro-manager. If you like providing support to students, faculty and staff (all with varying levels of technology knowledge), it's a great opportunity. The benefits are fantastic. The pay is not anywhere compariable to the corporate world. Educational instutions are not about pay, but about helping those attending to better themselves. The main campus ITS/ITV staff are very supportive and fantastic. Position does require a great degree of confidentiality. I was able to update and access systems using remote viewing software. Some computers are maintained in a software locked environment.
benefits
Cons
management
Productive and great working environment
Department Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 22, 2014
Cameron is a great place to work that offers a great benefit package. The interaction with the many cultures is always a pleasure. The management is also to notch. The hardest part of my job is when a student is having a hard day and even after listening and trying to help with the issue, you couldn't resolve the issue. The best part of my job is the interaction between the instructors and the students. There is always something diffrent everyday.
Pros
the campus is beautiful and the facilities at the gym/pool are great!
Cons
limit on the amount of classes an employee is allow to take per semester.
productive and fun
Graduate Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKAugust 15, 2013
Assist the Faculty with student conferences.
Schedule and maintain regular office hour to meet with students.
Notify instructor of errors or problems with assignments.
Provide assistance with research.
Evaluate and examinations, assignments and papers, and record grades.
Develop teaching materials such as syllabi, visual aids, answer keys, supplementary notes, and course websites.
Copy and distribute classroom material.
Inform students of the procedures to completing and submitting class work.
Fun and Cultural Place to Work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKApril 12, 2013
Cameron University provides a lot of different activities, that will keep you on your toes. It is a very fun, respectful, and organized business. The pay scale is on the low end for certain positions, but you do get FULL MEDICAL that you do not pay for so that makes up for the lack of pay per hour.
Pros
lots of activities
Cons
pay scale
Cameron University Work-Study
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKFebruary 6, 2013
For the most part I just assisted faculty with daily tasks such as grading and lab preparation. The workload was minimal which allowed for plenty of time to work on homework.

This position allowed me to make personal connections with the majority of the faculty within the Physical Science Department at Cameron University
Pros
personal connections with faculty & staff, minimal workload
Great Psychology Department
Professor (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKApril 13, 2014
I have worked for several Universities. This department functions as a fun and healthy family unit. We enjoy each other's skills and talents and love to laugh and complete tasks together. This is the best place I have ever worked.
Pros
great team atmosphere, free medical, and great retirement plan
Meeting a wide variety of students can be exciting.
Administrative Assistant II/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Duncan, OKApril 2, 2015
I enjoy working with friendly staff. Displaying excelent customer service both on the telephone and face to face. The hardest thing is to multitasking. you have to stay on top of it all.
Productive and fun to work with employees
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 26, 2013
I love working as Student's Assistant/clerk. Nice people and boss.
It gets busy but still fun to work. Everyone was treated nicely.
Pros
you can take a lunch break anytime. schedule is very flexible
Cons
n/a

Want to know more about Cameron University?

Ask a question
great people
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJanuary 8, 2014
Working for Cameron University was fun. Staff is well taken care of except for pay. There is a major difference between support staff and other employees. The benefits are great! Company paid you can't beat that.
Short time emplyed here.
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKApril 30, 2015
Did not really work in the organization long enough to get totally familiar with the operation. Owner was not on sight, leaving staff to handle all issues.
Office Work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 31, 2012
This is a pretty straightforward job. You're a secretary who is treated as such. Not much room for advancement despite successful ideas and programs adopted. Great job while going to college.
fun environment
Security/Information Desk (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKNovember 30, 2013
learned about the school, activities, and programs available for students. checked in visiting students or parents, answered questions for potential students. secured building at specific times
GOOD PLACE TO WORK .PEOPLE ARE REAL NICE TO WORK WITH
Engineer II (Former Employee) –  LAWTON , OKLAHOMASeptember 11, 2012
you get your work assingments first thing in the morning. then you go out and make your repairs and monitor the equipment.
Productive and fun workplace
Office & Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawton OklahomaMay 31, 2015
A productive and fun workplace providing students the required assistance with using the schools computers and helping with office duties. Helps improve interpersonal relationship and a friendly working environment
The university was good. I enjoyed my time there.
Student housing worker (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJune 26, 2013
Great team.great hours, Great hours, Great boss. Job took most of my time but it was good learning overall
Pros
good people
Cons
bad policies
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Duncan, OKJune 18, 2013
• Prepare ITV equipment for 10+ classes
• Proctor exams for undergraduate classes
• Distribute daily material to classes
• Liaison to professors and students
• Assist students in computer lab
Staffs were so kind.
Chemistry Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMarch 26, 2013
The position is good for Chemistry students. I had more chances to use chemical solution and equipment.
good starting place
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKApril 5, 2013
it was a student job and workstudy position. i just learned how to function in a work environment

4.3