Camp America Employee Reviews

Amazing experience and met some incredible people
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 23, 2017
Camp America was the most incredible summer. I gained so many skills and recognised that even though hours may be long, you can still enjoy working if you put your mind to it. The work environment was nothing I'd ever experienced before but I quickly came to love it. Staff were very inclusive and supportive of one another and we often worked as a team in order to make sure the children were having the best time as well as achieving our personal and joint goals.
Pros
Working in a beautiful location
Cons
Long hours, away from home
Life experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Paradise texasFebruary 3, 2017
You will learn what actually being human is.And what sorts of abilities you are filled with.You will figure out how to be positive and happy.It was an amazing experience.
Pros
Living coat included.
Cons
healthcare
cray life
special need Voluntary Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 14, 2016
it was the most crazy time I lived over there cuz they were making allot of mistakes by judging on people and the basic weather it was scary for me until now
Best place i have ever worked.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rhode Island USAOctober 25, 2016
Camp America is one of the best things i have ever done. I got to spend four months working and traveling in the USA. It was very long days but it was very fun as i was a lifeguard and got to spend my days down by a lake looking after and teaching young children how to swim.
Pros
Living in America, all food and accommodation was included.
Cons
Very long days and very tiring.
Best thing i could of ever done
Cabin counsellor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin, Hartland, USAOctober 19, 2016
i was working 24/7 as the kids were there all the time. it was always fun, working fast paced and always enjoyable.
my co-workers were brilliant.
i learned that all kids learn differently.
Pros
the weather, outdoors, working with kids
Cons
there was none
Incredible life experience, fun, unforgettable
General Counsellor (Current Employee) –  AmericaSeptember 19, 2016
Working on a camp with children, particularly sleep away, is probably the most challenging thing you will ever do. You work from the minute you wake, until midnight if not later, and even when you're asleep you're still working, you just don't know it! everything you do with your day is to ensure the children have the best summer, and if they're happy, it makes your summer the best it can be. You make friends you'll never forget, and the bonds you create with these children have no words. On your days off you can visit places, and you're given around 4 weeks after camp to travel! REMEMBER, camp is not about the money you are paid, its about the experience, memories, and the best summer you could ever ask for!
Loved it
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  CarlsbadSeptember 13, 2016
Its such a cliché but literally had the best and most beneficial summer of my life! totally worth it!

Days are very long but its alot of fun.
Pros
everthing
Cons
long days
constant work & once in a life time experience
children's counsolour (Former Employee) –  Massachusetts United StatesSeptember 5, 2016
This was a job I chose to do,I really enjoy working with children of all ages an abilities. I also enjoyed being completely out of my comfort zone. i was pushed emotionally and physically with long day work.
6 am till 9 pm every day. I had to deal with a variety of different issues with children and co-workers. I used my people skills and knowledge from past experiences to deal with these issues the correct way. I had the care of the children from the moment they woke up till they went to sleep, which i would say was the most challenging as i had to deal with health problems that i had never dealt with before. Overall was a amazing experience and i wouldn't of changed anything about it.
Pros
Understanding the life of children more
Cons
Great place to have fun!
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLAugust 27, 2016
A typical day at camp started with getting the kids up and ready for breakfast before taking them all to their activities. Once everyone was in their groups the activities began and you followed your schedule to see where you were going. Each day was different and every activity was fun and active. The best part of the job was getting to know all of the children and building a good bond with them throughout the summer as they were always cracking jokes and telling funny stories.
Bad grounds
Cook (Former Employee) –  your momJune 13, 2016
I worked here for 2 hours until I quit because of the bugs and wild children running around and biting birds. Overall the camp was trash and the fields were trash and don't even get me started on june the curator of the grounds who was mean and terrible. The sun was baking and the lake was infected with wild kayaks.
Pros
Cons
everything
Extraordinary experience
Hockey Instructor/ Child counsellor (Former Employee) –  Honesdale, PAMay 25, 2016
Typical day at camp, was a camp wake up at 7am, then onto morning meeting with manager and team, breakfast with campers, then onto coaching three lessons of hockey, lunch with campers, coaching two lessons of hockey, tea with children, supervising free time for campers, helping with campers bed time and supervising camping until 11pm. At camp I learned a lot about myself, how to be confident, how to adapt to American living, communicating with children who had additional needs, how to adapt to no technically. The hardest part of this job was the limited contact with family and friends. The most enjoyable part was everything, it is a experience of a life time.
Cons
I enjoyed working within small groups and engaging with the public.
Maintenence (Former Employee) –  AmericaSeptember 24, 2015
A typical day working at the co-operative food would involve clocking in, followed by beginning on a task such as stock replenishment, taking in a delivery, working on the tills or assisting a member of the public within the environment I learned how to work on the tills and how to communicate affectively with the public within a working environment. My co-workers were all ages and this ranged from 17-65, this allowed me the experience of working with all ages. The hardest past of this job was when I first began working on the tills, which I then developed a full understanding of. The most enjoyable part of this job was engaging with fellow team members.
Pros
Discount on products in the store.
Cons
Late nights.
Productive and fun work place
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 19, 2015
I would wake up the girls, get them ready and take them to flag raising. From there we would have breakfast then it was back to the cabin for clean up. I would try and encourage the girls to keep their area as clean as possible. Playing games and awarding points helped the girls work as a team and improve their friendships. I would leave at 9:00am to start working in the pottery cabin. I was the only ceramicist on camp so all of the responsibilities were my own. I was in charge of teaching and instructing, cleaning and organizing the room, operating the kiln, making lesson plans, and making sure the children were having a great time! I would meet my girls for lunch and then return to the pottery cabin. At 5:00pm when the activities had finished, I would go back to my cabin and meet the girls and have dinner. The afternoons were filled with activities that we would take part in as a cabin. I was in charge of getting the girls ready for bed which proved to be quite difficult sometimes although I learned how to make times like these fun.

The head staff and my co-counselors were fabulous. I really felt like I was a part of a family at camp. Being a camp counselor is difficult although the children make all the tough times worth it. Being able to spend time with the kids, watching them grow and seeing their passions develop is so rewarding.
Pros
Meeting new people and developing friendships, being inspired by the children day by day, and watching the children enjoy themselves and learn new skills
Cons
Long hours and long days
One of my best jobs so far
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Spey, NYSeptember 8, 2015
No one day was the same! There were many ups and downs but i must say the campers and staff members taught me a lot. It was the most amazing experience of my life and has made me want to relocate to the states to continue to work within the education system. I also will be returning next year, that's a promise.
- Project Morry, Morry's Camp
Cons
Not much time to yourself as a counsellor
An AMAZING experience
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  USA. OhioMarch 26, 2015
It was such a rewarding experience! I chose to apply a couple of years ago after feeling a bit down and lost, it was the best thing I ever did. I gained so much confidence and independence from the moment I said goodbye to my family at the train station. You get a little homesick now and again, but you're surrounded by your lovely american family and by the end of the summer, you'll be crying because you wont want to leave. I made friendships that will last me a lifetime, and memories I'll never forget. The only downfall is the money. You have to pay a few installments when you're going through the process of applying, to cover things like your insurance and flight costs. Once you're at your camp you receive your wages once a fortnight (It may be different in other camps) and its not very much, I think it should pay more so do try and save up, especially if you're going travelling at the end of the summer. BUT you're not going for the money, the experience at the end is far greater than any payslip.
a great job
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  usaApril 16, 2014
this job is great for people that love to be busy and work with young people
Pros
having fun
Exciting experience
Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 6, 2014
I was a challenge course instructor/cabin councillor. I was a constant positive role model for campers. I had to ensure safety was adhered to at all times and fun was being had by campers, whilst they learned valuable life skills.
Not looked after
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Madison, CTFebruary 26, 2014
The camp I was placed in staff were treated horribly and was left stranded in america and CA didnt help me home. It is a RISK
Just a Blast
Drama Counselor - Junior Camp (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PADecember 14, 2013
There is no way to describe what it is like to work at a day camp getting to do what you love! I've always loved acting an at Camp America, as an actress working with Jr. Drama for the younger half of camp, I got the privilege to write and act out silly little songs and skits with my partners over the years. A typical day was just that. Nothing was ever the same but we always got to entertain the little kids between ages 2-8 years old. That was the best part of the job an because of that it was never hard.
amazingly fun
Play Worker (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 25, 2013
Typical began with me waking up the campers and taking them to the shower area,showering,then breakfast hall then a full day of fun and games.
The people I worked with are now longtime friends
Pros
The children, The Atmosphere and my Coworkers/friends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camp America. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6