Camp America Employee Reviews in United States

Bad grounds
Cook (Former Employee) –  your momJune 13, 2016
I worked here for 2 hours until I quit because of the bugs and wild children running around and biting birds. Overall the camp was trash and the fields were trash and don't even get me started on june the curator of the grounds who was mean and terrible. The sun was baking and the lake was infected with wild kayaks.
Pros
Cons
everything
I enjoyed working within small groups and engaging with the public.
Maintenence (Former Employee) –  AmericaSeptember 24, 2015
A typical day working at the co-operative food would involve clocking in, followed by beginning on a task such as stock replenishment, taking in a delivery, working on the tills or assisting a member of the public within the environment I learned how to work on the tills and how to communicate affectively with the public within a working environment. My co-workers were all ages and this ranged from 17-65, this allowed me the experience of working with all ages. The hardest past of this job was when I first began working on the tills, which I then developed a full understanding of. The most enjoyable part of this job was engaging with fellow team members.
Pros
Discount on products in the store.
Cons
Late nights.
Productive and fun work place
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 19, 2015
I would wake up the girls, get them ready and take them to flag raising. From there we would have breakfast then it was back to the cabin for clean up. I would try and encourage the girls to keep their area as clean as possible. Playing games and awarding points helped the girls work as a team and improve their friendships. I would leave at 9:00am to start working in the pottery cabin. I was the only ceramicist on camp so all of the responsibilities were my own. I was in charge of teaching and instructing, cleaning and organizing the room, operating the kiln, making lesson plans, and making sure the children were having a great time! I would meet my girls for lunch and then return to the pottery cabin. At 5:00pm when the activities had finished, I would go back to my cabin and meet the girls and have dinner. The afternoons were filled with activities that we would take part in as a cabin. I was in charge of getting the girls ready for bed which proved to be quite difficult sometimes although I learned how to make times like these fun.

The head staff and my co-counselors were fabulous. I really felt like I was a part of a family at camp. Being a camp counselor is difficult although the children make all the tough times worth it. Being able to spend time with the kids, watching them grow and seeing their passions develop is so rewarding.
Pros
Meeting new people and developing friendships, being inspired by the children day by day, and watching the children enjoy themselves and learn new skills
Cons
Long hours and long days
One of my best jobs so far
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Spey, NYSeptember 8, 2015
No one day was the same! There were many ups and downs but i must say the campers and staff members taught me a lot. It was the most amazing experience of my life and has made me want to relocate to the states to continue to work within the education system. I also will be returning next year, that's a promise.
- Project Morry, Morry's Camp
Cons
Not much time to yourself as a counsellor
An AMAZING experience
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  USA. OhioMarch 26, 2015
It was such a rewarding experience! I chose to apply a couple of years ago after feeling a bit down and lost, it was the best thing I ever did. I gained so much confidence and independence from the moment I said goodbye to my family at the train station. You get a little homesick now and again, but you're surrounded by your lovely american family and by the end of the summer, you'll be crying because you wont want to leave. I made friendships that will last me a lifetime, and memories I'll never forget. The only downfall is the money. You have to pay a few installments when you're going through the process of applying, to cover things like your insurance and flight costs. Once you're at your camp you receive your wages once a fortnight (It may be different in other camps) and its not very much, I think it should pay more so do try and save up, especially if you're going travelling at the end of the summer. BUT you're not going for the money, the experience at the end is far greater than any payslip.
Great summer experience
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 16, 2013
Working at Camp Puh'tok this summer was extremely enjoyable and working with children every day was a lot of fun. The work was both physically and mentally demanded as days would often start as early as 6.30am and continue until 10pm.

I learned many things while working at summer camp this year. One was the ability to work in a team with other counsellors every day and communicating well with co-workers and also senior staff. I also learned the importance of being enthusiastic and energetic around the children for the whole day to ensure that they have a great experience.

The hardest part of the job was definitelt the long hours and the repetetive nature of the job. However, this was also the most enjoyable because it was rewarding when you see all the hard work being appreciated not only by the kids but also by members of senior staff.
Fun and creative workplace
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Virginia, United States of AmericaFebruary 21, 2013
As an individual I flew to Virginia in North America to work in Panumkey Girl Scout Summer Camp, embarking on such a journey by myself helped me to become independent.
I was entrusted with a range of responsibilities which included organising a full week of activities with a different theme each week. This helped me be more creative and organised.
I also participated in creating creative and exciting games and undertook administrative and scheduling duties. As a leader I had to motivate myself and others including the children to be active and take part.
Pros
living in camp
Fun Working Place & Productive
Camp Councillor, Outdoor Ed & Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williams Bay, Wisconsin USAJune 16, 2013
The was never a typical day at work. Everyday was new and something different. Your daily activates could change and you have to work on your own imitative all of the time. you learn a great deal of patients and social skills that you can use in social life and in further education or work. All of the staff were fantastic, hard working and friendly. Management team was always there to offer you support and help whenever it was needed and gave excellent training for people new to the job. Hardest park of the job was adjusting to change and new management every year but I was able to handle change well and could adjust well to new working environments. I always went back for the love of the job and really enjoyed the interaction with the children. That was the best part.
Pros
free place to stay and free 3 meals a day.
fun and productive working experience
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLAugust 15, 2013
It is refreshing to work with teens , they kind of rejuvenate you and challenge you to stay active till they go their way and come to you complaining of minor and major issues which includes from abrasions to heat stroke ; in other word you help and as the same time you kind of evaluate your limit in physical activities. And the other great thing of this job is the chance you get to be under real night sky and appreciate nature which most of us are not lucky enough to get the chance while living in cities ; in most camps you meet foreigners as far as Russia and Spain , which kind of help you for closer understanding of they life.
Very fun workplace with a lot of team working skills required. Had to be active and on your feet with a positive attitude to everything.
Camp councellor (Former Employee) –  Virginia, USASeptember 16, 2013
A typical day at work would include making sure the campers got up on time for breakfast and taking them to breakfast.
Sort out their activities for the day (kayaking, arts & crafts, swimming, team building exercises etc)
Taking the campers to their activities.
Making sure they followed health and safetly guildlines at all times.
Taking them to dinner.
Making sure they got to bed on time.
I had to work in three different girl scout camps located over Virgina, (all sister camps)
It was fairly hard working with such a wide range of ages within the campers. From campers who were five years old up to the age of seventeen years old.
It was very worthwhile and a great experience to have worked in America.
Pros
gained experince with working with children, being able to work in america, was given a lot of responsibility.
Cons
long work hours.
Fun workplace
General Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin, USAJuly 9, 2013
Working at a camp is very different from what is portrayed in the movies......it's better! I had a fantastic time at Camp Nawakwa because I met lots of campers each week and worked alongside great staff members who were supportive. Typical day at camp as a counsellor involved getting up, preparing camp for campers, meeting and greeting campers, organising activities such as kayaking/ arts and crafts, raising the flag, singing camp songs and having fun!
Pros
campers, fun camp activities, accomodation, meals
Just a Blast
Drama Counselor - Junior Camp (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PADecember 14, 2013
There is no way to describe what it is like to work at a day camp getting to do what you love! I've always loved acting an at Camp America, as an actress working with Jr. Drama for the younger half of camp, I got the privilege to write and act out silly little songs and skits with my partners over the years. A typical day was just that. Nothing was ever the same but we always got to entertain the little kids between ages 2-8 years old. That was the best part of the job an because of that it was never hard.
productive,educational,fun
Cabin Councellor (Former Employee) –  Hunter, New YorkSeptember 26, 2012
throughout working for the summer camp I learned how difficult that full time care is but how beneficial it is to be in that line of work, the most enjoyable part of the job is making and seeing the people you work with laugh and smile, my co-workers were amazing they would help you get through the day, a typical day at work would be to change your residents diaper if they needed one, feed them breakfast if they needed assistance, then take them back to get them changed for the pool, after pool time we would take them back to the cabin and shower them so they were fresh for lunch, after lunch we would participate in 4 activates that were 45 minutes long and that would take us up to dinner, then after dinner we would go to evening activity, once evening activity finished we would take them back to the cabin get them changed for bed and then write log books on how there day was, whilst having this job you would learn by doing i learnt how to change someone lift them from their wheelchair, guide them, feed them, clean and baith them and how to make a diffrence in someones life.
Pros
free accomadation, free meal, meeting new people, learning new things, making a diffrence
Cons
long days, sleeples nights
Amazing experience, helped make me self sufficient
Summer camp counsellor / Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Maine, AmericaAugust 20, 2013
Wake up the Kids in bunk and get them ready for the day, take them to breakfast and then go to my kayak/canoe post and get everything ready for the groups throughout the day in which I would teach them kayak/canoeing and take them on trips keeping it enjoyable. Then on the night put them to bed and make sure they're all happy.
Pros
america, lots of activities, great experience, lots of fun.
Cons
long tiring days
a great job
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  usaApril 16, 2014
this job is great for people that love to be busy and work with young people
Pros
having fun
Exciting experience
Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 6, 2014
I was a challenge course instructor/cabin councillor. I was a constant positive role model for campers. I had to ensure safety was adhered to at all times and fun was being had by campers, whilst they learned valuable life skills.
amazingly fun
Play Worker (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 25, 2013
Typical began with me waking up the campers and taking them to the shower area,showering,then breakfast hall then a full day of fun and games.
The people I worked with are now longtime friends
Pros
the children, the atmosphere and my coworkers/friends
Fantastic Company
Sales Advisor - JD sports (Former Employee) –  Maine,USASeptember 10, 2013
First time being a part of this company in the summer of 2013, and i was very impressed by the organisation and the skill the majority of the employees had. i was extremely satisfied with their helpfulness and focus on the goal.
Not looked after
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Madison, CTFebruary 26, 2014
The camp I was placed in staff were treated horribly and was left stranded in america and CA didnt help me home. It is a RISK